Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2011, 09:38 AM   #31
blbiker56
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Well while i was waiting for the swing arm bearings to come in i figured i would start to fit things back together. I used a multi-purpose Marine Grease, for the most SEVERE WATER CONDITIONS... well i guess that means it will be perfect for my bike.

its kind of a cool blue color but this was some sticky stuff!!!

and once i got everything bolted on the linkage felt so much smoother than before its a brand new setup now!!!

hhhh

if anyone has any questions on how to take those bearings out or put them in just post and i can give some better instructions and maybe post a video as well.
blbiker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 01:02 PM   #32
blbiker56
Adventurer

Valve Shims

ok well this was the most frustrating part of my build because the little metal guides to hold the camshaft in place kept slipping off and down into the engine... it happened twice the first time it fell just on the top of the head, and the second time the little metal clip thingy fell all the way down to the bottom of the cam shaft inside the engine. so i got a magnetic pole and slipped it down next to the cam gear after about 20 tries and 30 minutes later i succefuly pulled out the piece with out tearing down the whole bottom end.

I had to replace 4 out of the 5 shims for the valves and luckily two shops i stopped by in colo springs had them in stock.

so to get the lifter valve off i just used a little magnet and lifted both the lifter and the shim up, so that the shim wouldnt fall into the engine when i took it off. you can see my little circular magnet in the last picture on top of the lifter valve.

Installing the shims are easy i just put a little heavy gear oil on the top of the shim and stuck it to the lifter valve so it would stay in place, next i just put all the shims and lifter valves in and threw everything back together.

a good little trick to keep the cam chain outside of the case while your working is to tie a little piece of wire around it so i wont fall in.

AND THE ENGINE IS ALL DONE!!!!

Old 08-28-2011, 10:35 PM   #33
blbiker56
Adventurer

So I polished up all the exhaust parts and i didnt know i had such good looking exhaust under all that mud and rust... wow.

before and after

also got the header polished up and the oversized radiators all hooked up... the hose that goes through the frame is a little bike bigger in diameter but with good clamp it is tight and sealed up.

Old 08-29-2011, 05:57 PM   #34
motoxer667 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 473
blbiker56: To fix the top tube radiator hose get a hose from a 450. Or you can go to the auto parts store and get a 5/8" (I think) heater hose. I just went to the parts store.

If you have the $$ you could also get those fancy colored silicone hoses like the PROS use
Old 08-31-2011, 10:23 AM   #35
blbiker56
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoxer667 View Post
blbiker56: To fix the top tube radiator hose get a hose from a 450. Or you can go to the auto parts store and get a 5/8" (I think) heater hose. I just went to the parts store.

If you have the $$ you could also get those fancy colored silicone hoses like the PROS use
ya i would like to have those nice fancy red or blue hoses, but thats just my money burning a hole in my pocket man... if these hoses end up failing i will do it for sure, just because they are SWEET!!!
Old 09-20-2011, 04:00 PM   #36
Big_John
Colorado Rider

Oddometer: 2,863
He's finished the bike!!!!!

Last week BLBiker turned 21 and I think every birthday present had something to do with this 426. I have asked him to finish posting his photos and work.

Moab....here we come in a week and half!!!!!
Big_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 05:19 PM   #37
motoxer667 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_John View Post
He's finished the bike!!!!!

Last week BLBiker turned 21 and I think every birthday present had something to do with this 426. I have asked him to finish posting his photos and work.

Moab....here we come in a week and half!!!!!

Can't wait for the photos.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:57 PM   #38
Big_John
Colorado Rider

The exciting thing is the WR stator......and the double, 50w headlights!!!!!!
Old 09-20-2011, 07:10 PM   #39
blbiker56
Adventurer

hey guys here is the bike all finished up and final touches being added to it, including a good find on craigslist $20 for a dual UFO headlight... and it mounted up perfectly.

and its all together and it starts very easily and runs super strong. basically a new bike and i cant wait to tear up the trails with this thing!!!

Headlight

Ill have a future write up of putting a wr426 stator and fly wheel, to hook up the lights for this thing. and some other good upgrades will be in the next post
Old 09-20-2011, 07:15 PM   #40
blbiker56
Adventurer

Alright now for the best part of the build, i got the bike all built back up now its time to put some lights on this baby!!! Ok guys you gotta give it to Ricky Stator cause they significantly helped me out on this one. The stator mod came all from them.

ok so, first i went ahead and got a flywheel puller and removed the stock yz flywheel and stator. you need some special tool to hold the flywheel in place while you remove the nut and washer securing the flywheel to the crank shaft, but i didn't have one and decided save money and build my own.

well what a difference in the wr426 stator vs. the yz426 stator. The flywheel is noticeably heavier and will be great for the trails. one thing i noticed on both stators is that in between the little magnet thing there was tiny metal shavings, so i used a strong magnet and pulled all that junk out.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:18 PM   #41
blbiker56
Adventurer

the stator mod was a big deal because i decided to keep the lighting an AC circuit, and not deal with a battery. So the basic instructions for the mod is.

DO THIS MOD AT YOUR OWN RISK, IT WORKED GREAT FOR ME AND THE BIKE HAS TWO RIDES ON IT ALREADY. Make sure you dont just hook up your lights when you finish the mod, i blew up both my lights when i turned on the bike, you have to buy an ac regulator/rectifier so that it regulates the volts going to the lights. The wiring for the regulator will be my next post.
the pink wire is ground, and the yellow wire from the wr426 stator is the power!!!

1. Find the pink wire on the stator. (there is a pink wire and a red one)
i found it on the stator and also the 6 pin connector.

2. choose a place in-between the stator and the 6 pin connector, and cut the pink wire. (make sure there is enough pink wire still attached to the 6 pin connector so you can ground that wire)

3. you want to tape off the pink wire that goes back to the stator. ( you will not connect this to anything, just tape it off and insulate it.)

4. Ground the pink wire still attached to the 6 pin connector.

5. Celebrate and drink a beer!!!!

ok ill show the steps with pictures so no one is confused.

1. make sure its the pink wire, the red wire is a darker shade of pink

I made a slit in the protective covering halfway between the stator and the 6-pin connector, just make sure not to cut any wires if you do this. now just find the PINK WIRE, NOT THE RED WIRE and pull it out a bit with some needle nose then snip it in half.

Now just cut the covering down a bit, so you can tape the pink wire away from the other wires and tape up the pink wire that feeds back to the stator. make sure you tape up the pink wire going back to the stator and not the one going back to the 6 pin connector.

now just find a place to connect the pink wire (going to the 6-pin connector) to a ground on the frame. i used the ground right here. i had to extend the pink wire so that it would ground to the frame, so the black wire in the picture is basically the pink wire.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:31 PM   #42
Big_John
Colorado Rider

Yep.....a Dad is proud of his boy and the work he did.

This bike is awesome.

Pop would pay $3.5k for it and call it mine!!!!!......if I could tear it away from the boy.

Oh yeah....maybe I buy another one (used) and get the boy to do it again....FOR ME!!!! HA!!!!

Old 09-20-2011, 08:16 PM   #43
blbiker56
Adventurer

for my 21st my parents hooked me up with some bar risers, pro taper bar, and some new answer gear!!!! also they got me the tail light and a spark arrestor insert. idk bout you guys but thats way the heck better then a 6 pack of beer. and since i blew up my 35w and 20w bulbs cause i didnt hook up a regulator i replaced them with super bright 55w bulbs.

pictures of the tail light with license plate mount

Photobucket

Photobucket

and the lights in action

blbiker56 screwed with this post 09-20-2011 at 08:24 PM
Old 09-21-2011, 12:19 PM   #44
JensEskildsen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 929
Cool build. Did you by any chance weight the two flywheels?
Old 09-21-2011, 03:35 PM   #45
blbiker56
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JensEskildsen View Post
Cool build. Did you by any chance weight the two flywheels?
no i should have, i even had a scale for that, but i didnt think about it. i can look at the shipping weight and base it off that possibly. ill see if i can find it, would be kinda good to know what the difference is.