User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2008, 06:50 PM   #16
vwone OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Hi all,
Well that price included insurance but not the gear. I brought my stuff with me on the plane. I did hear someone mention something about gear but I don't know the details.
Here is a Google map of my route.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=e...6,1.851196&z=9
vwone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 07:58 PM   #17
SgtMike
facebook.com/mikeraces

Oddometer: 1,134
Dude!

The Government keeps the Transformers in that dam!

I love Las Vegas, walked across the Hoover a few times last time we visited, thanks fer the memories.
SgtMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 08:39 PM   #18
lvdukerider
Las Vegas Nevada

Oddometer: 523
Thanks for the nice write up on all the places in my backyard. For anyone planning a similar trip now is the best time of the year to do it, high 70's to mid 80's. By May it will proably be in the tripple digits. Another great ride thats nearby is Mt. Charleston but be prepaired for a tempture drop as elevation increases, the place to head to in the summer when the temps are high. I hope they keep the origional road to Hover dam open after they open up the new bridge and four lane they are building down there as the origional road has some nice tight turns. Definatly one to check out before/if they close it to the general public.
lvdukerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 12:00 PM   #19
manshack_one
Rear-ender of Chevy's

Oddometer: 162
Do you remember how long it took from Vegas to Valley of Fire to Hoover and back to Vegas took? I may look at renting one if I can fit it into my trip itinerary.
manshack_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 06:23 PM   #20
vwone OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Hi Manshack_One, I did the entire ride in 9 hours. I would guess that if you cut off Red Rock Canyon that would take out 2-3 hours. Also you could travel the interstates and make up some time as well. I don't know about your schedule but, the bike rental is for 24hrs so you shouldn't have to worry about the time for the bike.
vwone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 10:44 PM   #21
dlew
Daypass Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,142
Nice report, nice idea, nice pictures.

I think I will do exactly the same thing at the end of the month while on a business trip.

Thanks for posting.
dlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 11:34 AM   #22
humvee
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,639
Thanks for re-hosting the pics!

You're write-up was inspiring enough that I'll be doing the same thing over 2 days with the wife in January. My plans are to visit Death valley and Red Rock Canyon on Day 1, then your exact trip on Day 2.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:34 AM   #23
4runner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
I did Valley of Fire, Mt. Charleston, and Red Rock on Wed. I highly recomend this ride. Rode a rented ST1300, WAY smooth!!
'73 TX650

4runner screwed with this post 12-05-2008 at 12:44 AM
4runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 06:56 AM   #24
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 10,339
Thumb

This is very cool! I rented a Hardley when I went out there in 2003. A Bimmer would be much cooler to rent! Hardley sportster was only $75 for 24 hours though.

http://www.bmwoflasvegas.com/

I may need to fly out to Vegas again, but go to BMW instead.
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 07:31 AM   #25
EdOriginal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 564
Alternative

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500hd4x
My wife and I are headed to Vegas this Thursday for our anniversary/graduation present for her....Its our first time in Vegas (or out west for that matter). Friday is my "Fun Day" to do what I want. I was sitting here plotting a route to Death Valley National Park after realizing the Grand Canyon was way too far off to hit on a one day trip from Vegas and looking up motorcycle rentals in Vegas. Now I am inspired to follow your lead and borrow your route. Nice write up and beautiful pictures!! The Valley of Fire looks like a great ride...Thanks!
I've not check the milage but I've been to Grand Canyon probably 10 times and for me handsdown....Bryce Canyon and Zion National Park is far superior in scenery...but Zion does take some walking/hiking to see the really good stuff.

Bryce and Zion are probably 250 miles one way and Bryce may have a little snow....Zion is truly amazing.