Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2008, 09:30 PM   #31
Jazzzzz
proof that gravity works

Oddometer: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Berlien
What's that ticking noise?
Bad valve guides on the Gen 1 that Yamaha has a record of repairing at their cost even if the bike is out of warranty, rather than hiding their head in the sand and refusing to admit there's a problem
Jazzzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 05:18 AM   #32
Bueller OP
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlew
I've only owned one bike ever, Bueller, so wtf do I know except I've always known anything Japanese will be probably superior and less problem plagued than anything German, English, or Italian in all the ways you've enumerated, at least in recent history.

I'm sure you knew that, too.

So why did you keep buying BMWs?
Love the fit, comfort, ride, and feel. I still own two BMW's right now. And maybe that's where things are going wrong in this thread. I wasn't trying to slam the brand, I was just making a statement about how utterly easy the FJR seems to be to maintain. Aside from oils and filters it really doesn't seem to make much difference whether the other adjustment parts of the service get done or not. It just runs, and from all I've read it seems to keep running the same unless something really goes wrong, which is a rarity.
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 05:25 AM   #33
Bueller OP
Cashin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric2
And exactly how many years did the beemer go without maintenance? The only reason slave cylinders fail is from corrosion due to lack of maintenance.

Maybe you should find someone who knows how to service motorcycles
to work on it.

Wow. You've put almost 6 thousand miles on the fjr. You should try for the ibr
Don't take it personally. Just because you (like me) have owned or do own a fleet of BMW's doesn't mean I am slamming the brand. Having a little bit of satirical fun with them? Sure! I've spent enough with the company to earn that right. But I still like the bikes they build and will probably purchase additional BMW's at some point.

And I sure hope you aren't slamming my ability to service a vehicle, whether it's a bike or a car. I'd be happy to put my training, skills, and experience to the test against any service recommendations you might have.

I've never competed in the IBR and don't want to, but I am a member. From your perspective, what is so wrong with a progress report? Am I not allowed to post a comparison between bikes until I've put a quarter million miles on them both? Did you even bother to read the posts about my BMW's and their service records?
Old 03-31-2008, 05:31 AM   #34
Bueller OP
Cashin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by longrider999
bueller,did you consider the bmw K1200S before you bought youre FJR.it seems to me to be the only bike comparable in horsepower to the fjr in the sport touring class of 05-06.i looked at an 05 K1200S at the local BMW dealer and was really impressed by its new technology.the front end.onboard computer with no fuses.dont know alot about the fjrs technology except that it puts out 149 horsepower.im just a little too old at 55 to need all that horsepower.the riding positions of both bikes are a bit too forward for me also.
Rode it and loved it.

We took the FJR in on trade at one of the dealerships. It was 9 months old with 6500 miles on it. It had one 4" long scratch on the right side. The previous owner supplied the case liners, owner's manual, had installed heated grips, and new tires.

I paid $8900.00 for it.

As I've said elsewhere, I think the BMW K series (in particular the GT) arguably provides a better, more comfortable riding experience. But it isn't $12,000 better. And right now as of 11,000 miles, I'm enjoying the fact that the FJR hasn't sprouted leaks, broken a driveshaft, pinged, consumed oil, or had other significant mechanical issues, as was the track record for the last 8 years
Old 03-31-2008, 06:59 AM   #35
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller
Are you always this stupid?
Are you always so offensive? I know that getting 11k out of a Harley is amazing but why are you amazed that this occurred on an FJR?

It's nothing compared to how the H-D dealer net is the worst on the planet. I'd prefer owning a high mileage Ziv than any Harley because the dealer net stinks so badly. The Motor Co. is a fine outfit with an interesting product line, but the people it has to associate with to move its product are the lowest of the low. Whaleshit low.

Over on the ZX-10R board, we had a contest about the worst dealer experience we'd ever had no matter what brand or what bike. I won with one of my true dealer stories about a Harley dealer. Nobody could touch my story.

I'd clean the toilets in an Arab public convenience before I'd ever step into a Harley dealership again. It's not the product, but the people which make it so nasty.
slide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 07:14 AM   #36
longrider999
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,414
worst dealer experience

slide,ive had the best dealer experience with the local harley dealership in appleton,wisconsin.i dont own a harley presently but stop in there alot.park my beemer or honda right in front of the shop.the gals at the counter are really friendly and dont have any problems with me not owning a HD presently.the owner is one of the greatest persons youll ever meet.my worst experience was last year at a honda dealer in menasha,wisconsin.sorry to hear you werent treated at the harley dealership. theres a honda dealer in green bay where i will be taking my bike to have service work done in the future.mostly tires as at 54K my 97 Valkyrie doesnt need much maintenace.its been the best bike ive ever owned so far.
longrider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 07:23 AM   #37
Bake
adventurer

Oddometer: 10,514
Bueller, I'm glad the '05 is returning your investment well. With me doing so much putzing with accessories on it, at least my stainless fetish hasn't caused a PROBLEM.
Just too many years being around aircraft fasteners, I suspect.

On the valve adjustment schedual for your Yamaha, that's one of the reasons I stayed with the YZF600r. It's first check is at 22,000 miles, and on the YZF board most owners say, don't bother, unless you just feel better by looking. I love the little bike, now that the jetting issues are sorted by dyno. I do miss having one of the BMW opposed twins, something about glancing down and seeing that engine there, and the tractor power, is easy on the mind. I don't have a test ride on the Rotax 800 yet, but I'm VERY impressed on their engine building skills.

I'm selling my Zebra K1200RS just to move out of the payment, but there is an '07 FJR at the new Yamaha dealer near me that is begging for me to trade. I think it'd just be the same experience...I haven't been able to ride the K bike but 3,000 miles a year. I work all the time, and my commute to work is exactly opposite your's. I ride 4 miles each way. Most times I just take Old Truck.
Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 07:50 AM   #38
GS THONG
Banned

Oddometer: 2,405
BULLER NEEDS TO TAKE THE DAY OFF
GS THONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 08:23 AM   #39
dlew
Daypass Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller
Love the fit, comfort, ride, and feel. I still own two BMW's right now. And maybe that's where things are going wrong in this thread. I wasn't trying to slam the brand, I was just making a statement about how utterly easy the FJR seems to be to maintain. Aside from oils and filters it really doesn't seem to make much difference whether the other adjustment parts of the service get done or not. It just runs, and from all I've read it seems to keep running the same unless something really goes wrong, which is a rarity.
So after this experience, what trumps what for the next purchase?

Fit/comfort/ride/feel or reliability/low maintenance/value?
dlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 10:08 AM   #40
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by kootenay kid
Wow! 11000 miles and no problems. Amazing.
But wait, there's less, he only put 5500 of those miles on it!

I wonder how many BMW's would go a whole 11K miles without a problem?

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 10:21 AM   #41
deilenberger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by yooperbikemike
Thank you for curing me of my desire to own a BMW.
In 12,000 miles on my '07 R1200R - I've had one warranty issue. A T-5 screw fell out of the saddlebag hinge. Warranty replaced this $0.35 screw.

That's it.

Some people just seem to be unlucky somehow..
http://www.eilenberger.net/
deilenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 12:16 PM   #42
Trailduster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Fjr

Sorry you had some bad times with your BMW'S. I guess I'm a real odd ball here. Sorry but never had any problems with my BMW'S or my HD'S. Any funny as it may sound didn't make a difference if I ran the shit out of them or not! As long as they were maintained properly the ran great. Iwill say the seats on the Electra Glides were nicer but my RT'S over the years weren't that bad. Just my thoughts.
Trailduster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 12:21 PM   #43
Rad
Just me

Oddometer: 12,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by yooperbikemike
Thank you for curing me of my desire to own a BMW.
I ride a Honda after a decade on Oil Heads, I would get Carpel Tunnel Syndrome if I tried to type my BMW repair list. The hell of it is, I still want another one.......I guess some of us never learn.
Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 12:40 PM   #44
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by deilenberger
In 12,000 miles on my '07 R1200R - I've had one warranty issue. A T-5 screw fell out of the saddlebag hinge. Warranty replaced this $0.35 screw.

That's it.

Some people just seem to be unlucky somehow..
Same here, 28,000kms on my 06 RT with absolutely 0 issues, just regular maintenance done by me. Bueller, glad you're enjoying your FJR, I ride with 3 of them and all seem happy with them, basically they never say much so that must be a good thing. Personally though, I just can't bring myself to ride a 4 cylinder bike. There's just something missing when riding a 4, I don't care how d@mn fast it accelerates, they all still feel like riding a singer sewing machine to me.

Besides, the FJR has a rad, I'm on a mission to avoid liquid cooled bikes for the foreseeable future.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 12:46 PM   #45
ikonoklass
Kountersteering Krew

Oddometer: 2,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
But wait, there's less, he only put 5500 of those miles on it!

I wonder how many BMW's would go a whole 11K miles without a problem?

Jim
Mine did. Unless you call oil consumption a problem!
ikonoklass is offline   Reply With Quote