Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2008, 08:51 PM   #91
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorch
?? Just because you have your own definition of what a bike should mean doesnt mean everyone is going to agree with it.

Problem is that alot of people substitute passion with bikes and thats a really sad excuse for not having passion.
I have no idea what you are trying to say?

If you do not get the idea that a motorcycle purchase is not only about logic, there is no way you will understand my position on it.

Same goes with "bostonsr". Either motorcycles speak to you or they don't. If you think about riding as a means to get from A to B, then you see them one way. If you see them as a form of excitement, freedom, living, then you see them differently. Logic rarely plays a role in what is a great bike, and what is a reliable bike.

All that said, a BMW R bike is a very reliable bike, with simple and easy maintenance.

You dissagree? Great, no problem, we all have our opinions, and often they are not the same, but that does not mean that someone that disagrees with you is wrong.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 09:06 PM   #92
scorch
Poser

Oddometer: 3,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
I have no idea what you are trying to say?

You dissagree? Great, no problem, we all have our opinions, and often they are not the same, but that does not mean that someone that disagrees with you is wrong.

Jim
I never said you were wrong for having a different opinion did I?

scorch screwed with this post 04-05-2008 at 09:13 PM
scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 10:09 PM   #93
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorch
I never said you were wrong for having a different opinion did I?
No, you implied it!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 10:54 PM   #94
scorch
Poser

Oddometer: 3,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
No, you implied it!

Jim
lol if you say so
scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 01:32 AM   #95
SQD8R
Eat squids and be merry

Oddometer: 7,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCGS
With very few exceptions, I find the vast majority of Jap bikes incredibly boring.. When was the last time Honda produced anything that really got one's juices flowing? ('90 GB500?..) The new Kaw C14 is one that I do like, but not enough to replace any of the bikes in my current stable with.

Triumphs, (mosts) HD's, Ducs, Beemers, Guzzis.. all have a personality.

From 50' it's hard to tell a Yamaha from a Kaw from Suzuki from a Honda.

I've only owned 2 European bikes, both BMW, and while the Japanese products undoubtably offer the best bang for the buck that time seems to be passing.

The Europeans and Buell are coming on stronger. Quality has gone up while prices, at least in Canada, have dropped. Buell, Ducati, Aprilia, Triumph, KTM, and BMW have stepped up the game taking more risks while reducing prices to compete with the Japanese.

The Japanese continue to improve but seem to be stuck in the I4 war of less weight and more power while paying lip service to the rest of the product lines without really addressing the road riders needs, creating less and less interesting road motorcycles.

Also the Japanese seem to refuse to take necessary risks like the Superduke, 950SM, 950SE, 950 ADV, HP2, Tuono, or HM. Instead the Japanese water down superbikes into bargain basement products that cannot compete with the aforementioned European models. And when the Japanese do make a good niche product (Vstrom, Versys) the Japanese do not support it as strong as the Euros do.

Other than the supersports the Japanese bikes really hold little appeal for me. The Japanese still hold the performance advantage but who can use it on road let alone track?

In terms of character a Buell or Euro blow away the latest Japanese products. Does a CBR really evoke the same emotions when you open a garage door as a 1098 or any of the others mentioned may evoke?

Buell in particular really has made a statement producing a sensible ergo supersport with 140 plus bhp at $13K CAD compared to the $16K Japanese I4 and its a twin.
Married men don't live longer, it just seems longer.
Sour grapes are a lesser man's fruit.
SQD8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 04:28 AM   #96
westnash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller
It's too boring because you'll never get to fix anything

(yawn)

I think I'll go take a nap
Don't worry, the Roundel lovers won't buy one as it has far too less status factor.

The FJR is a great bike I think but eats tires very fast and the insurance price can get steep.
westnash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 07:40 AM   #97
Eugene
-

Oddometer: 1,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by SQD8R

I've only owned 2 European bikes, both BMW, and while the Japanese products undoubtably offer the best bang for the buck that time seems to be passing.

The Europeans and Buell are coming on stronger. Quality has gone up while prices, at least in Canada, have dropped. Buell, Ducati, Aprilia, Triumph, KTM, and BMW have stepped up the game taking more risks while reducing prices to compete with the Japanese.

The Japanese continue to improve but seem to be stuck in the I4 war of less weight and more power while paying lip service to the rest of the product lines without really addressing the road riders needs, creating less and less interesting road motorcycles.

Also the Japanese seem to refuse to take necessary risks like the Superduke, 950SM, 950SE, 950 ADV, HP2, Tuono, or HM. Instead the Japanese water down superbikes into bargain basement products that cannot compete with the aforementioned European models. And when the Japanese do make a good niche product (Vstrom, Versys) the Japanese do not support it as strong as the Euros do.

Other than the supersports the Japanese bikes really hold little appeal for me. The Japanese still hold the performance advantage but who can use it on road let alone track?

In terms of character a Buell or Euro blow away the latest Japanese products. Does a CBR really evoke the same emotions when you open a garage door as a 1098 or any of the others mentioned may evoke?

Buell in particular really has made a statement producing a sensible ergo supersport with 140 plus bhp at $13K CAD compared to the $16K Japanese I4 and its a twin.
I find the I4 to be boring compared to all the other offerings, Japanese or not. It's in part due to the fact I've owned 8 of them. I guess I grew tired of them. I find them to be uninspiring and lacking in character. I used to enjoy the performance characteristics but that doesn't mean much to me anymore.

I'm also not loyal to any one brand. I think every manufacturer has a bike I would like to own.
Eugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 09:06 AM   #98
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by westnash
Don't worry, the Roundel lovers won't buy one as it has far too less status factor.

The FJR is a great bike I think but eats tires very fast and the insurance price can get steep.
Buying a BMW had nothing to do with status for my wife and I. The F650 and the RT were / are simply the bikes we WANTed to ride at the time. I know their are posers who buy a GS and all the latest BMW gear and are going to "ride around the world", all the way to their local coffee shop, just like Harley posers, but I believe they are few and far between on this board. We buy bikes to ride, and we bikes that we LIKE to ride, simple as that.

I will agree with bostonsr on one point: I don't care what I'm riding, as long as I'm riding. I have just as much fun riding Jodie's DR200 as I do any of our other bikes. And yeah you called this roundel loving rider out, the ONLY reason I bought my DR was because of the status I would receive riding it!
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 02:53 PM   #99
Jazzzzz
proof that gravity works

Oddometer: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by westnash
Insurance pricing is always a crap shoot, but for me at least (30, married, no points on the license) insurance was the exact same price for any sport-touring bike - every provider I spoke with quoted me the same price for the FJR, R1200RT, Concours 14, and ST1300. The prices were different between providers, obviously. All of the quotes were basically half the cost of insuring a 600cc sport bike at the same levels.
Jazzzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 03:14 PM   #100
BeemerD
dirty

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by kootenay kid
Mine did too. We must have got one of the bad ones.
I love my Beemers, but I'll never buy another R bike. They seem to use an obsurd amount of very expensive oil.
BeemerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 03:32 PM   #101
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by SQD8R

I'm with you 100%. Look at the bikes which have excited or interested the bunch here. It mirrors my personal interests and the buzz I get from other riders.

All the interesting bikes have been European or Buell. I'll even throw out a Harley - Cross Bones. While I'm not a customer, if I were a H-D candidate, I'd go for this one in a big way (although I'd reduce the bar height some).

Stuffy, staid old BMW has come out with one exciting bike after another. Where once Duc was a risky buy due to reliability, it's now a reasonable purchase as a daily rider. As to Penton, uh, KTM, need I say more? Can this company come out with anything that doesn't excite anybody whose ever even thought of riding a bike?

Buell did well with the Uly and now the new Rotax engined models are starting to roll.

Now over to the Japanese side, what have we got? Well, the Versys was a good idea and there are others, but for the most part, the Japanese are in a big refinement war. Frex, the new ZX-10R is all new and all the same as far as 99.9999% of all riders. Yeah, Don Canet may be able to go .001 sec faster per lap at Laguna than on the previous ZX-10R but what does that do for me?

The Japanese do offer great value if you are in the market for what they are selling like a Gixxer or a ZX-10R or a Shadow but geeze, we aren't all looking to pretend we can ride a Gixxer like Canet or are as cool as someone on our Shadow. I mean, you have a choice of passions between a Gixxer or a 1098 or a 990? My bias is clear.
slide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 03:32 PM   #102
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaynehillier
I love my Beemers, but I'll never buy another R bike. They seem to use an obsurd amount of very expensive oil.
I have over 100,000 miles on my 1100 and 1150 GS's. I doubt I added oil between changes more than twice.
slide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 03:33 PM   #103
rockmurf
IBA #31100

Oddometer: 321
fjr

My insurance for my 06 fjr is less than $250 a year for full coverage(not medical) and as far as tires go I get about 15k miles per set. I think that is ok and while we are at it it runs on regular gas, 26k valve checks and stylish beyond (ok this is in the eyes of the beholder)
rockmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 03:50 PM   #104
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaynehillier
Quote:
Originally Posted by slide
I have over 100,000 miles on my 1100 and 1150 GS's. I doubt I added oil between changes more than twice.
Same here, not close to 100,000 miles, but I've never added a drop of oil to the RT in 28,000+ kms nor did we ever add oil to the F650 whiole we had it.

Just curious Dwayne, how did you break your bikes in? By the book, or a little more aggressively as suggested my motorman et al.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 04:12 PM   #105
BeemerD
dirty

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross
Same here, not close to 100,000 miles, but I've never added a drop of oil to the RT in 28,000+ kms nor did we ever add oil to the F650 whiole we had it.

Just curious Dwayne, how did you break your bikes in? By the book, or a little more aggressively as suggested my motorman et al.
Before I get going, I just want to put out an FYI that I'm changing my handle to Beemerd

Now, I know where this is going "my bike doesn't burn oil, but yours does cause you didn't break it in like mine". Okay, getting sick of that one, and its old and tired. Quite frankly I really don't care, I made my statment based on my personal experience, and I know QUITE a few people who have also had problems with high oil consumption on R bikes. Also, before you get the keys burning, the BMW manual for the R1150R states that it is acceptable to burn one litre of oil per one thousand kilometers. I don't know about you, but that to me is EXESSIVE. Maybe your bike doesn't burn oil, or maybe it does, I just know that mine burned a lot of oil. How did I break the bike in; well, I tried to follow the manual, but didn't really. I rode it past 4K RPM in the first 1000 Km's, and I didn't always have nice and easy take-offs. I didn't abuse it like a jack-ass, but I didn't baby it either. If you think I am bashing the brand, you're not reading this right. I only have a problem with the R bikes because of my experiences, much the same way I will never buy another Union built truck or car: experience
BeemerD is offline   Reply With Quote