Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2010, 12:52 PM   #1
kay OP
Mobilekay

Oddometer: 89
San felipe to Cabo san lucas, Baja Mexico.

I don't usually post what I will do, doing or done, I always enjoyed more reading your stories, and benefited most of technical issues, I am starting to like writing for some reason, so I thought of experimenting with this trip, sorry for any grammar, spelling mistakes, English is not my 1st language but its my favorite.

So here is the deal, I moved from Ensenada back to san felipe last week, to spend the winter here, before I leave I promised my friend David, I will come to his wedding in Cabo San lucas Sunday October 24th and be his first man, I was hoping to spend a day or 2 in san felipe then ride my bike south 250 miles and meet David at Guerro negro, tow the bike with his RV and ride with him, well that never happened, too much going on here, so now I will ride the whole distance alone, around 800 miles, I have to leave tomorrow or after at the most to make it, I also have to make a decision of taking the xr650r or the xr650l, both are ready, R have dirt tires, while the trip is mostly on pavment, L needs a front tire, both got big tanks, both have no where to strap luggage, will have to invent something, to carry
tent, sleeping bag, inflatable mattress, pilow, my laptop, cloth, tools, Tuxedo and whatever food I can carry to make my trip cheaper, by the way I am not riding down for the adventure as much as for being poor, if I can afford the gas, I would drive, but still tow a bike behind me.
I didn't do any research yet about where to stay, eat or expect along the way, so it should be fun, I ridden before Baja east coast south to Bahia los angeles then west from there to San Ignacio bay, but thats as far as I went south, If anyone knows of a cheap place to stay in cabo with safe place for the bike it would be great, just let me know please, I think if I went all the way down, might as well stay a week or 2. .
Thats it, I will update as I go

kay screwed with this post 10-18-2010 at 01:16 PM
kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 02:31 PM   #2
TemeculaRider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 565
Sounds like fun! I think you'll be able to find a place to stay in Cabo that fits your budget, especially if you're staying several nights. Next time I'm heading down, I'll PM you and maybe we can get together in San Felipe before I head south.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn
you are safer in 99% of Northern Mexico than you are in 99% of Jacksonville, FL.
TemeculaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 03:51 PM   #3
booger1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 804
I'm heading down down on the 21st, should reach Cabo by the 1st, let me know if you find a place cheap to stay, I'll be leavingon the 2nd, maybe we could ride back if your time permits.

booger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 05:42 PM   #4
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,300
And don't forget the pics

Old 10-19-2010, 07:00 PM   #5
kay OP
Mobilekay

update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booger1
I'm heading down down on the 21st, should reach Cabo by the 1st, let me know if you find a place cheap to stay, I'll be leaving on the 2nd, maybe we could ride back if your time permits.
Great, yes we can ride back together, I will update my location here as I go.

Thanks Justin, yes please contact me when you come to San felipe, lets go riding.

So today I decided on the xr650R and started building a home made handle to strap luggage to it, after all done, put couple of thing on it, looks like its gonna work.
Next, get wires from the head light to run gps and xm radio, done, test failed
it will run the gps with light on, but will not run xm with or without light, damn it.
Back to the 650l, I know it will run all electric with no problems, been tested, but needs an oil change, 20 mins later, done, then run the wires again for gps and xm, and last but not least fit the the handle to the xr650l, which was not bad at all, was much harder on the R.
Leaving tomorrow, heading to puertocitos on pavement, then Gonzaga bay, dirt, then chapala, on dirt, Guerro Negro, pavement, and hoping to make it to Loreto the 1st day, with no problems,

here is a pic of the the home made luggage somthing on the R.

and here it is on The L with supports

Old 10-19-2010, 09:29 PM   #6
OaklandLion
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
cool!
OaklandLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 02:12 PM   #7
kay OP
Mobilekay

Made it to Cabo

The faithful XRL did it again, we are both in Cabo, with no problems and here is how it went.
The 1st day, I left san felipe, ridden to Puertocitos, stopped to get gas, no gas, I had enough to get me to Gonzaga bay, but I knew it was harder to get gas at Gonzaga, while I am looking for gas there I met 2 guys from Newyork on beemers, newer gs1200 and 95 gs 1000, they rode all the way from newyork, and their 3rd partner was on a Dugati, but he split and took the long way around to avoid dirt riding, they were suppose to meet him on hwy 1 in the intersection of Bahia la, so we ridden together to gonzaga, great ride, when we got there, surprizingly the gas station was open for biz, wow, great, we sat at rancho grande for a beer when another guy came on a dr 650, with the biggest gas tank I ever seen, he was from England travelling around the world for the 3rd time, 4 and half years on the road, wooow, he went throught Iran and Pakistan and many more crazy places all by him self.
We all camped together on the beach on Gonzaga, I had a blast, they were all fun and nice.
Next day we continued together, still on dirt roads to Coco's corner, we sat for a beer, and here comes another british, and if u think the 1st one was crazy, listen to this, this guy is also travelling the world, when we met him, he already had 27k on his little yamaha 125cc street bike, with enduro tires, he ve ridden around europe, then to south Africa, north America and was heading to south America,well well well.

We continued from Coco's to the road, another 38 dirt miles, and the 2 newyorkers waited for their friend while I had to split to make some time, by then I was very happy the homemade rack held with all that dirt riding.

This pic was the next day after camping.

The bike fully loaded on dirt and on the beach

I continued by myself to Guerro Negro which was around 90 miles from where I left them, and camped there, it was almost dark, and I knew I had to make some time, in order to make the wedding.
Next day I got up early and did 520 miles, to La paz, that was a long ride, filled the gas tank 4 times in 1 day, my butt was flat and my hands were num by the end of the day.

The whole road was fun, but north of Loreto, was some of nthe most beautiful scenes.

I wanted to change the front tire before I leave but I didn't, here is how it looked half way down,

Now it looks much worse and will have to bring me back wether it likes it or not.

Sorry for the bad pics, my camera broke recently, so I am using the video camera instead, which took these shitty pics, but I also took some amazing video, which I will put together soon and post on you tube with a link here.
I am sure I forgot so much details, that might be interesting, will update as I go, and also will tell u about the way home, not sure when yet, thanks for reading.
Old 10-23-2010, 03:03 PM   #8
TemeculaRider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 565
Thanks for the update and good to know you made it safe. Where are you staying in Cabo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn
you are safer in 99% of Northern Mexico than you are in 99% of Jacksonville, FL.
TemeculaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 06:42 PM   #9
kay OP
Mobilekay

Cabo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TemeculaRider
Thanks for the update and good to know you made it safe. Where are you staying in Cabo?
The Groom have a nice suite, so I am staying in his rv, in the hotel parking lot, go up shower in his room, eat his food, and go back to the parking lot, I ll tell u, Cabo is such a wonderful place so much better than I expected, and I didn't see much yet.
I would encourage everyone to visit Cabo, you will not be dissapointed.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:39 AM   #10
Super Suz
N00b with B00b

Oddometer: 1,556
just found this. Nice luggage rack, Kay. Makes the X look like an H for Harley. Ha ha. I bet you have done more since October. Fess up and post another ride report for us.

Suz
Member of the Oakland Motorcycle Club. In town? Come visit us on a Weds night. We love show and tells! Want to speak about your trip or motorcycle topics in the Bay Area of Northern California? We have a club hall. IM me. If you give us enough notice and if we like your topic, you can come and speak. We have room for others to come and listen too.
Super Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 02:23 PM   #11
kay OP
Mobilekay

[QUOTE=Super Suz;14742902]just found this. Nice luggage rack, Kay. Makes the X look like an H for Harley. Ha ha. I bet you have done more since October. Fess up and post another ride report for us.

I have been slaking I know, here are some riding videos from the road down
and in Cabo:

Riding on the sand with one hand was a biatch.

Old 12-20-2010, 02:34 PM   #12
freeflow
get in or go in

Oddometer: 15,108
hola Kay...nice report ! thanks for sharing...
freeflow is offline   Reply With Quote