User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2009, 01:25 PM   #1
Trippy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
A couple of quiet days on Dartmoor

With the chance of a couple of nights away this weekend I decided to head to Princetown.The plan was to wild camp on the friday and then relocate to the Plume for the saturday night and the arrival of the other festival go'ers.
Heading down on friday afternoon the weather wasn't looking too bad for the weekend ahead untill I got one mile from Princetown when the fog decended and heavy drizzle was soaking my face. I decided I couldn't bothered to wild camp as I had no food with me apart from 6 sausages, I had a slightly dicky stomach and didn't fancy waking in the night and having wild sh*ts and I couldn't be bothered looking for a place.

Tent erected.

I got my food order in at the bar and settled down for an evenings drinking with a few quite p*ssed locals.
Morning dawned and I headed off for a breakfast at the Old Police Station Cafe ..... it wasn't horrible but it wasn't very good and I won't be going there again.
Over breakfast I read my newly purchased book "About Princetown" as I thought it was high time I learnt a little about the place that I find myself drawn too.
Breakfast consumed I returned to the campsite. I decided I could the road ride, the off road ride and the historic tour of Princetown all into one and we headed off into the mist at 11 oclock.
First stop was about 200 yards up the road at the church were I went to see the graves of prisoners past.

Each one is marked with just the initials and date of death.

Someone clearly still remembers their naughty boy all these years on.

I then called in at the Prison museum, I have always meant to go there but never have. It's really good and well worth the 2.50 entry. I chatted for about 15 minutes with the warden and another rather big chap who were running it and they were so interesting explaining all about how prisons are catogarized and about prison life. I didn't realize that Dartmoor still housed many 'Lifers' of which from what the warden was saying, I am guessing that the BIG guy was one. He was pleasant and interesting and it just goes to show you shouldn't judge a book by its cover and not all acid bath murders are horrible people.
Next stop was to look at my choosen wild camp spot for the night before had I been bothered. It's funny I have been to Princetown and Dartmoor many many times but never really looked around. I head the couple of miles down the lane to the side of the Fox Tor Cafe and to the old Whiteworks where the road stops.

I was sooo glad I hadn't camped here the night before, the place was full of quite large bullocks and cows, this one seemed to take an instant dislike to me and started moo'ing in a quite an aggresive manner.

He then really started moo'ing very loud and appeared to be calling to the others which all started closing in, at this point I made a hasty exit.

Just up the road and the horses didn't seem to give a toss.

But this chap I wasn't going to argue with.

Turn left and 1/4 mile down a track the mist was getting quite thick so I decided not to take this track any further.

Returned to the road and went down this one instead.

A quick blast down the road revealed that it was only Princetown that was fog bound.

Next stop was Burrator and the plantation areas.

The reservoir is huge and a day ticket for fly fishing is just 12 (keep 4 fish) from Yelverton Garage (might do that sat in a few weeks).

I stopped for an Icecream.

And sat with a crow.

Abit further on and I found wild camp heaven, a lovely little clearing tucked away down a tiny track with access only suitable for bikes.

Time to return to the campsite.
Sausages were cooked.

And as it was 4 o'clock beer was served.

A rare glint of sun off a forehead signalled the arrival of Mike Wright who announced that he had hurt his neck and couldn't move his head so I would have to help him put up his tent :

I have my doubts about the whole story as no sooner was it up than he seemed to be dancing his way around the site like a slightly tubby version of Wayne Sleep

He came prepared and I had my 1st ever Jack Daniels and Coke.

And we went to the bar for tea, both choosing Ham Egg and Chips. Quite clearly Mike isn't a salad man.

More beer and Jack Daniels was consumed and we talked bollox late into the evening before retiring.
Morning saw Mike cook the last of the sausages in the Tipi, no groundsheet as we had decided for some bizzare reason to pack it up at 6 o'clock in the morning making enough noise to wake the f*cking dead.
And we then went to the Fox Tor Cafe for a lovely full English with juice and coffee for under a fiver (10 times better than the Old Police Station).

We chatted abit more then packed up and headed home, a journey that was not uneventfull its self.
Decided to take the much nicer exit off the moor this time and rode along the Dart through Dartmeet and Holne.
It was lovely and the air clean and fresh.

On the M5 I weaved my way through half a mile of standing traffic giving drivers stood on their door sills a cheery "morning" as I passed. I love doing this as it really p*sses some people off
At the end someones holiday hadn't had a happy ending.

And after checking no one was seriously hurt I weaved past the final blockage to a completely empty motorway ... shame I was on an Airhead.

The End
Trippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 02:43 PM   #2
Johnnyboxer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,034
Good report, Jim

Looks like my kind of trip

2005 BMW R1150GS Adv - Black
2005 BMW R1150GS Adv - Silver
2007 BMW G650 XCountry - Black
Johnnyboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 03:41 PM   #3
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,888
Nice one, Trippy! Those sausages do look good!
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 10:58 AM   #4
mike wright
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
Nice one, Trippy! Those sausages do look good!
You obviously havent tasted his cooking! Thats not herbs in the sausages its bits of grass cuttings to pack them out a bit.
Old 12-19-2010, 01:43 PM   #5
jetadventure
Bloggs

Oddometer: 8
Trippy

Thanks for the ride report and pics. Inspiring. I am going to get the map out, check the camping gear, and then plan a ride from Derbyshire to Dartmoor.
Thanks for sharing.
ATB,
j

My Moto Blog. for info.

"I kept my mouth shut even though I had nothing to say." (Donald Jack - author)

2005 BMW R1150GS Adventure SE
jetadventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 04:17 AM   #6
Johnnyboxer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,034
With all the snow you've got today.................I bet you wish it was summer and you still had that bike

2005 BMW R1150GS Adv - Black
2005 BMW R1150GS Adv - Silver
2007 BMW G650 XCountry - Black
Johnnyboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:44 AM   #7
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,842
Lovely English ride! Must be nice you can weave through traffic and get the motorway to yourself. Thanks for the report and pics