Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2008, 07:31 AM   #16
Wookee
Y! bike is all tall

Oddometer: 91
man i need this kinda time. i can barely work and have time to change the oil. keep the dream alive for me.
Wookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 10:06 AM   #17
BDKW1 OP
KL"X" not "R"

Oddometer: 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookee
man i need this kinda time. i can barely work and have time to change the oil. keep the dream alive for me.

Work is highly overrated! Wait, I think that's what I'm supposed to be doing right now
BDKW1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 10:45 AM   #18
Sasquatch
Banned

Oddometer: 4,770
Or, you could have just had me (or done it yourself) build your stock shock into this:

You get a shock that will perform as well as the WP, with less effort, and no hacked up frame. All the internals are are replaced with high end stuff.

I also have a stage II where I turn the stock shock into a true cartridge shock with floating piston, Race Tech gold valve and full rebuilding if the shock above is more than you need.
Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 10:48 AM   #19
Sasquatch
Banned

Hit send too early.

On the bike:

Old 04-07-2008, 12:01 PM   #20
BDKW1 OP
KL"X" not "R"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatch
Or, you could have just had me (or done it yourself) build your stock shock into this:

You get a shock that will perform as well as the WP, with less effort, and no hacked up frame. All the internals are are replaced with high end stuff.
I could have done that to My old shock quite easily. But if you think it would work as well as the WP unit, you are sadly mistaken. Also, this shock has about .500 more travel and has a larger piston (piston's)...... I have worked on many Showas and KYB's and the quality and design of this shock far exceeds anything I have seen from an OEM Japanese bike.
Old 04-07-2008, 12:06 PM   #21
BDKW1 OP
KL"X" not "R"

Quote:
I also have a stage II where I turn the stock shock into a true cartridge shock with floating piston, Race Tech gold valve and full rebuilding if the shock above is more than you need.
Cartridge shock It's either emulsion or Decarbon type....... Cartridges is for forks man......
Old 04-07-2008, 01:26 PM   #22
Fubars
What would Scoobydo?

Oddometer: 1,735
Maybe 3 years ago I bought an older WP shock off eBay real cheap. It was for an '87 CR250. I was hoping to graft it onto a KLR if I could find a cheap one. Never did. It's got a remote resevoir, but the compression adjuster knob is jacked up, and the hose is kinda short to mount it onto a KLR. I still have it, but in pieces. If one of you nutcases are interested in it, let me know. It should be a piece of cake compared to the fab job. Nice work, BTW.
Fubars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 01:46 PM   #23
Sasquatch
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDKW1
Cartridge shock It's either emulsion or Decarbon type....... Cartridges is for forks man......
True, but if I called it a decarbon type, how many would understand it? The stock KLR shock is emulsion, which is junk no matter who you talk to. But I have built up some floating pistons to separate the oil side and the nitrogen side and am getting great results from it.
Old 04-07-2008, 01:56 PM   #24
Sasquatch
Banned

Quote:
I could have done that to My old shock quite easily. But if you think it would work as well as the WP unit, you are sadly mistaken. Also, this shock has about .500 more travel and has a larger piston (piston's)...... I have worked on many Showas and KYB's and the quality and design of this shock far exceeds anything I have seen from an OEM Japanese bike.

It is easy to build the KLR shock for .4" additional stroke and travel. When you remove the stock valving from the KLR shock, install new a piston, 2 stage valving on both compression and rebound, a floating piston to separate the oil from nitrogen, Hyperco or Eibach spring (and set the valving to the spring and rider), yes, my modified KLR shock will perform as well as a non reservoir WP. Plus, I retain the stock KLR spring preload adjuster for quick changes going from daily running to trip loaded, or picking up a passenger.

Once you remove all the innards from the stock shock and throw them away, you are left with a piston shaft and an outer housing, just like a WP, Ohlins, or whatever. They all look the same once you get them down that far. I then build it back up with innards that compare very nicely to WP/Ohlins (non remote reservoir type).

Oh, and keep in mind, if your spring is a larger OD than the stock one by much more than .375". it will rub on the lower flange of the swingarm. Just pay attention to that one.
Old 04-07-2008, 02:22 PM   #25
BDKW1 OP
KL"X" not "R"

Quote:
Oh, and keep in mind, if your spring is a larger OD than the stock one by much more than .375". it will rub on the lower flange of the swingarm. Just pay attention to that one.

Kinda why the frame got chopped...... The swing arm still needed a little clearancing and the spring rubs the back of the case on full droop.

Some other random thoughts........

How does Kawi measure their wheel travel? I ran into this problem with My KLX300 also. The KLR is supposed to have 9.8" of rear travel, correct? To get this with the stock shock, you would have to be measuring at the end of the chain adjusters. It must be one of those subjective measurements like the dry weight. Now with a longer stroke shock and different (slower) linkage I'm getting an honest to Dog 11.5" of travel at the axle with it in the middle of it's adjustment range.

What bonehead is in charge of putting in the linkage bolts at the factory? The one between the dog bones and the bell crank was in backwards and finger tight Good thing that didn't come loose on the last trip!

Why is the end of the main frame tube left open? This is very bad structurally. Hopefully now that it's shorter and capped, I can stash My HID ballast in there.......
Old 04-07-2008, 02:50 PM   #26
Sasquatch
Banned

Quote:
Kinda why the frame got chopped...... The swing arm still needed a little clearancing and the spring rubs the back of the case on full droop.

Some other random thoughts........

How does Kawi measure their wheel travel? I ran into this problem with My KLX300 also. The KLR is supposed to have 9.8" of rear travel, correct? To get this with the stock shock, you would have to be measuring at the end of the chain adjusters. It must be one of those subjective measurements like the dry weight. Now with a longer stroke shock and different (slower) linkage I'm getting an honest to Dog 11.5" of travel at the axle with it in the middle of it's adjustment range.

What bonehead is in charge of putting in the linkage bolts at the factory? The one between the dog bones and the bell crank was in backwards and finger tight Good thing that didn't come loose on the last trip!

Why is the end of the main frame tube left open? This is very bad structurally. Hopefully now that it's shorter and capped, I can stash My HID ballast in there.......
One other thing I had to realize after doing my whole suspension is that it is still a KLR. If I really want to go fast off road I needed to buy a XR or KTM. The suspension mods make it much nicer, but if you go to extremes like you and I did, it is like putting lipstick on a pig. At the end of the day it is still a pig.
Old 04-07-2008, 05:28 PM   #27
bxr140
Flame Bait

Oddometer: 1,041
Quote:
It is easy to build the KLR shock for .4" additional stroke and travel.
...so...how?
bxr140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 06:44 PM   #28
Sasquatch
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxr140
...so...how?
There are two circlips holding the seal head in the shock. Only one is used. Do not install the inner most ring and the seal head will be mounted .4" farther down the tube thus allowing it to ride higher and have more travel. I did this to mine.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:40 PM   #29
BDKW1 OP
KL"X" not "R"

Interesting, since I have a spare stock shock laying around (well, most of it at least) I'll have to take it apart and take a look.

As far as the lipstick on a pig.... I had an XR650R and was very unhappy with it, sold it. If I had the money I would buy a KTM. What I have is a limited budget, fab skills and an undeniable urge to modify things. I realize this isn't for everyone (actually, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone) but it keeps Me out of trouble.......
Old 04-08-2008, 07:20 AM   #30
Sasquatch
Banned

Quote:
Interesting, since I have a spare stock shock laying around (well, most of it at least) I'll have to take it apart and take a look.

As far as the lipstick on a pig.... I had an XR650R and was very unhappy with it, sold it. If I had the money I would buy a KTM. What I have is a limited budget, fab skills and an undeniable urge to modify things. I realize this isn't for everyone (actually, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone) but it keeps Me out of trouble.......
You and I are a lot more alike than you think. I also have a machine shop at my disposal. I have more ability than money, so I have always bought what I could afford, then built it into something I wanted.