Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2008, 08:25 AM   #31
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer: 9,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDKW1
Interesting, since I have a spare stock shock laying around (well, most of it at least) I'll have to take it apart and take a look.

As far as the lipstick on a pig.... I had an XR650R and was very unhappy with it, sold it. If I had the money I would buy a KTM. What I have is a limited budget, fab skills and an undeniable urge to modify things. I realize this isn't for everyone (actually, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone) but it keeps Me out of trouble.......
What year is that KTM shock? Looks like an EXC unit? If it's a 98-02 version, you would have been better off with the 2nd generation stuff.

If it's an 03,
Old 04-08-2008, 08:28 AM   #32
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyY
What year is that KTM shock? Looks like an EXC unit? If it's a 98-02 version, you would have been better off with the 2nd generation stuff.

If it's an 03,
oh, and info to back-up my theory.
http://ktmtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=276379&hl=
Old 04-08-2008, 08:39 AM   #33
ryanwilliamcantrell
Get Out and Ride!!

Oddometer: 3,859
Quote:
Interesting, since I have a spare stock shock laying around (well, most of it at least) I'll have to take it apart and take a look.

As far as the lipstick on a pig.... I had an XR650R and was very unhappy with it, sold it. If I had the money I would buy a KTM. What I have is a limited budget, fab skills and an undeniable urge to modify things. I realize this isn't for everyone (actually, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone) but it keeps Me out of trouble.......

I've got both... and if one had to go, I'm not sure it'd be the XRR. The susp. isn't even comparable... niether is the power.

The only thing the KLR has on the XRR, is comfort!

ryanwilliamcantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 08:50 AM   #34
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwilliamcantrell

I've got both... and if one had to go, I'm not sure it'd be the XRR. The susp. isn't even comparable... niether is the power.

Yeah, and a call to Precision Concepts and Rencazo could probably cure a lot of that.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:41 AM   #35
BDKW1 OP
KL"X" not "R"

Oddometer: 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwilliamcantrell

I also have a KX500 and a KLX300. open deserts, the KX wins. single track, the KLX wins, riding to the Panama canal and back, the KLR wins.....

Going from the KX to the XR was a real let down power wise. It had great bottom end but when I though it should take off in the upper powerband it just sort of fell on it's face. Handling sucked, the forks are almost as bad as the KLR's and about as ancient of a design. Plus, it didn't have the magic button Now if Honda put the new TRX 700 motor with EFI, a six speed and electric start in the XR chassis with CRF forks and plate, then we would be talkin! But then it would probably cost as much as a KTM and be out of My range .

Also, Honda has really pissed Me off buy no longer supporting the XR. My buddy needed a rear sprocket in San Felipe for the ride back home. Unless your riding a CRF, you don't exsist to team Honda. Some of the people were down right rude. We finally ran into a really cool dude (22X) that gave us one off his pre-run bike

And there a bunch of course cutting cheating bastages........ Rant over....
BDKW1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 10:49 AM   #36
BDKW1 OP
KL"X" not "R"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyY

If it's an 03,
I think it's an 03 or 04, it came of a buddies bike that has more money than brains (Dog bless him) He laid it down about 15 min's after getting the motard set-up on it. The street managed to grind the end of the resevoir enough to make it leak. In his mind the shock was toast and he bought a new one....... Free shock to Me!!!!!! I also have the stock muffler that was too restrictive....... A little uncorking latter and it will look real nice on the KLR.

Is it Friday yet? Work is really getting in the way of My projects
Old 04-08-2008, 11:38 AM   #37
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Quote:
I think it's an 03 or 04, it came of a buddies bike that has more money than brains (Dog bless him) He laid it down about 15 min's after getting the motard set-up on it. The street managed to grind the end of the resevoir enough to make it leak. In his mind the shock was toast and he bought a new one....... Free shock to Me!!!!!! I also have the stock muffler that was too restrictive....... A little uncorking latter and it will look real nice on the KLR.

Is it Friday yet? Work is really getting in the way of My projects
NICE. Next time he does that, PM me.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:27 PM   #38
climberevan
planning the next journey

Oddometer: 300
way to go, Brian!

Man, all I can say is SUUUUWEEEEET!!!!!!

You're making me think i should perhaps keep my KLR...

evan
climberevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 04:01 PM   #39
BDKW1 OP
KL"X" not "R"

Man, this nice weather really makes it hard to get out in the garage.

The "new" remote reservoir

Old 04-16-2008, 08:56 PM   #40
BDKW1 OP
KL"X" not "R"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatch
There are two circlips holding the seal head in the shock. Only one is used. Do not install the inner most ring and the seal head will be mounted .4" farther down the tube thus allowing it to ride higher and have more travel. I did this to mine.
All right, I'm going to have to disagree with this. The snap ring grooves only offer a .100 increase in length. The wiper seal is only .050 from the bumper cap in the normal position. Moving the seal head up will put the wiper seal .050 into the bumper cap. Unless you've got another trick up your sleeve.

Still about .400 short of the WP travel.
Old 04-17-2008, 05:37 AM   #41
Sasquatch
Banned

Oddometer: 4,770
Quote:
All right, I'm going to have to disagree with this. The snap ring grooves only offer a .100 increase in length. The wiper seal is only .050 from the bumper cap in the normal position. Moving the seal head up will put the wiper seal .050 into the bumper cap. Unless you've got another trick up your sleeve.

Still about .400 short of the WP travel.
I am going to go back in and do some measuring again. I have a KLR shock from a customer that I will be tearing apart this Saturday for modifications.

While I stand by my perfection, I might have been mistaken in my calculations....

If I was wrong, I will post back here and take my serving of crow.
Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 07:16 AM   #42
Hondo
What if its a Samsquamch?

Oddometer: 9,070

"Life's an adventure, and I refuse to live a boring one."

Hondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 09:04 PM   #43
BDKW1 OP
KL"X" not "R"

Ain't this pretty?
I'm not really known for painting things, I usually have the rust buckets

Finally, things going back on to the bike I think theres a shock in there somewhere.......

Spent a lot of time figuring out the hose routing. I think I have it nailed. We'll see tommorow........
Old 04-18-2008, 04:19 AM   #44
Sasquatch
Banned

Oddometer: 4,770
What front suspension did you use? I used the WP 40mm USD with a brembo braking system from a Husaberg. Wish I would have ponied up for later model units that have a larger spring selection.
Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 09:08 AM   #45
BDKW1 OP
KL"X" not "R"

DRZ400, I wouldn't go that route agian though........

So far I'm running the stock springs. With the rear sucking so badly, I can't really tell if the springs are to soft or not.