Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2008, 09:49 AM   #46
Sasquatch
Banned

Oddometer: 4,770
I am thinking that the best would probably been a set of late model KX500 USD forks.

Oh well, mine are done and actually working pretty sweet.
Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 10:04 AM   #47
BDKW1 OP
KL"X" not "R"

Oddometer: 896
If I had to do it over agian, that would be the way I would go. Theres enough clamping area on them that the extra steering tube lenght isn't a problem.

I originally wanted conventional forks for long ride reliability, breaking a fork guard in Nicuragua might be a little hard to get a replacment for. And with the guard gone, the seals take a beating. This is a real problem on My KLX300 and KX500. Maybe I should stop running into things?
BDKW1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 10:41 AM   #48
Sasquatch
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDKW1
If I had to do it over agian, that would be the way I would go. Theres enough clamping area on them that the extra steering tube lenght isn't a problem.

I originally wanted conventional forks for long ride reliability, breaking a fork guard in Nicuragua might be a little hard to get a replacment for. And with the guard gone, the seals take a beating. This is a real problem on My KLX300 and KX500. Maybe I should stop running into things?
But here is a real twist. I set up my fathers KLR with Race Tech emulators and the proper springs for his weight (straight rate springs). I was amazed at how well those forks worked. Had I known that, I probably would have just done the same thing.

Get yourself a set of those neoprene seal saver bootie thingies. I have them on my WP's and they really keep the seals clean, even if a guard breaks.
Old 04-19-2008, 09:06 PM   #49
climberevan
planning the next journey

Oddometer: 308
USD forks...

I rode about 10k through Mexico, Belize, and Guatemala on mine with the 46mm USD KX forks and my home-made PVC lower guards, and they worked great. .46 springs and 7.5 wt oil did the trick. Anybody could fashion new guards just like mine at some side-of-the-road place in Mexico if you broke yours.

Brian, could you have done your shock replacement without the frame mod? I can see going that route, but the welding on the frame would be beyond my abilities....
climberevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 05:20 AM   #50
Sasquatch
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by climberevan
Brian, could you have done your shock replacement without the frame mod? I can see going that route, but the welding on the frame would be beyond my abilities....
Warning! content.

Then build a shock out of the stock body like I do for many of my customers. You have to machine the schrader valve opening to accept AN fittings, but beyond that if you know how to build shocks you can do it yourself. If you dont, contact me and I can do it for you.

You retain the stock spring adjuster, but now have a remote reservoir shock with both compression and rebound adjustment.
Old 04-20-2008, 02:49 PM   #51
johnwesley
wanta be

Oddometer: 1,527

Here you go
johnwesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 05:46 PM   #52
Sasquatch
Banned

Hey John, How is it working out for you?
Old 04-21-2008, 09:41 AM   #53
BDKW1 OP
KL"X" not "R"

Quote:
Originally Posted by climberevan
No, the WP shock is to big around and must be leaned forward so the the swing-arm doesn't need to be hacked to death.

Knowing what I know now, I would have remote reservoired a KX shock.

Adding the Fox reservoir to the stocker.

Pros

1 It bolts on
2 It has a remote reservoir with compression adjustment
3 Pre-load adjustments are quick

Cons

1 It still uses the small diameter stock body
2 It doesn't give you much (if any) more travel
3 The small diameter hose connecting the reservoir really bothers Me. Without some shock dyno time to verify that there wouldn't be any pressure spiking at higher flow rates, I wouldn't chance it. Of course, you could put a bigger line on it.

Also, the stock valve body should be thrown in the trash immediately and replaced with a Gold valve or even a stock KX body.

KX replacement

Pros
1 Bigger piston, but not so big as to need frame mods.
2 Comes with reservoir, just needs to be relocated.
3 Has good piston to start with.
4 Gives more travel
5 Adjusters have way more range

Cons

1 Requires welding for remote reservoir
2 Requires welding for bottom mount to be "bolt on" Or you can sleeve down the bell crank and run a smaller bottom bolt.
3 Pre-load adjustments are going to take time
Old 04-22-2008, 09:02 PM   #54
climberevan
planning the next journey

Oddometer: 308
i'm attracted to the modding the original shock idea for the better travel, but i really also want more travel--especially since i have 12" in the front now. it looks like i'll have to go Brian's route if i do this mod....

thanks for the fun discussion, guys.

evan
climberevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 09:08 PM   #55
BDKW1 OP
KL"X" not "R"

The final product

Forgot the nitrogen bottle at work So I'll have to charge it and look for leaks tomorrow. I also relocated some of the electrical stuff while I was down there. Should be test ridding this weekend
Old 04-23-2008, 05:12 AM   #56
Sasquatch
Banned

I need to eat a bit of crow. The spacing between keeper rings in the stock KLR shock is 4mm. Not the distance I thought. So BDKW1, you were right. Now what needs to be found out is what does that 4mm mean at the wheel?

Oil line diameter. I really do not think it is an issue for 99.9% of KLR riders. The bike is not a KTM motocrosser and should not be ridden as such. The amount of fluid that is transferred between full compression to full extension is so small that the line I use is more than adequate.

I am getting great feedback on my stage II shock which I believe is the best solution for 90% of KLR riders. I replace the valving with a Gold Valve, install a new spring, set all the valving for how they like to ride, and then install a floating piston between the oil and the nitrogen charge getting rid of that nasty emulsion situation. This turns the shock into a really nice working unit that retains some of the things that make the stock one nice. Bolt on with no mods and retains the stock spring adjuster that is so much easier than threaded collars. It works much better than the Progressive 420, for about the same price.

Happy Trails is marketing my shocks. If you order a shock from them, they will send it out on an exchange basis. They will just charge a core charge and when you get the shock you swap them (a 30 minute job, tops) and send your old one back for rebuilding. Painless. Or, if you want even more customizing, or just want yours rebuilt, you can contact me for parts, or have me just do the shock for you.

If you want to do it yourself, I can let you know the GV stack that would be pretty close for your setup. If you order the GV from me (same price as everywhere else) I will even open up the package and set the valving stack for you taking the guesswork out of it. I dont mind helping people out who want to build their own. That is how I got started 20 years ago. Feel free to contact me.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:33 PM   #57
kdxkawboy
Mr. NVKLRGirl

Oddometer: 2,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvdukerider
Way back in 1992 When I blew the stock shock out of my 1990 KLR650 I ordered up a White Power replacement shock for about $500. It diddent have the remote resevour, but worked great just the same.
WP does make a nice shock, without remote resevoir, that bolts right into place. Got mine for $425 in '97. Got the compression and rebound shim stacks tuned for my preference and it works sweet. I've got on Ohlins with a remote resevoir that I may get reworked onew of these days to fit the KLR dimensions. Sure does seem like a lot of uneccessary work, but then that can be fun work.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:24 PM   #58
BDKW1 OP
KL"X" not "R"

Got it back on it's wheels

I now find Myself in a rare position for a KLR owner, I need a softer rear spring With no pre-load on the spring I get about an inch of sag sitting on it . So much for trying to get lucky! Strait rate spring, here I come!

Damn,I was really looking forward to ridding this weekend.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:24 AM   #59
BDKW1 OP
KL"X" not "R"

OK, I got a 300# Hypercoil spring off FLEABAY and put it on the bike. Just about perfect . While I had it out to put the spring on I did some valving changes as just sitting there bouncing on it I could tell it was WAY to stiff.

I took the digressive valving out and put in a more conventional low/high speed stacks on comp and rebound. Went out and hit the speed bumps down the road, feels good! Will have to give it a thorough flogging this weekend.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:05 AM   #60
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 7,532
Finished pics...
-DustyRags
DirtyDog is offline   Reply With Quote