Old 12-21-2012, 01:55 PM   #646
egret
noob

Oddometer: 357
This means 5.5 tonnes is allowed
This means 60 km/h is allowed
But this means no motorcycles?

hmm.. fooled me![/QUOTE]

As rule of thumb : all blue signs are to be understood as mandatory , all with red as prohibited . The first two signs mean : all vehicles up to 5.5 t allowed and up to 60 km/h allowed . Third sign is obvious :no motorcycles.
-zie egret.

PS. Tell the polizei officer that David Hasselhoff is your friend . Germans dig Hasselhoff
egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:37 PM   #647
pip_muenster
curious

Oddometer: 417
A little late, but whatever ...

I'm about 1/2 hour away and would be up for any dirt riding, but as you've already learned it's not that easy in Germany. Generally, everything which is not specifically forbidden is allowed. Unfortunately, driving motorized vehicles on roads without asphalt through forrests is explicitly forbidden. Most other dirt roads are private with signs as shown above.
The situation might be a bit better in the Netherlands or in Belgium, but I haven't tried that yet. I've read somewhere that it's legal to ride Dutch beaches in winter and the whole Dutch coast is within your 3-hour-range.
Then there are some motocross parcours in the area. The most interesting offroad parcours is off limit for bikes though, but you could rent a Russian tank and have some fun with that instead ...
For a quick onroad afternoon trip I'd recommend the Baumberge, the Sauerland, the Bergisches Land or the Teutoburger Land - not necessarily in that order. Be aware that a few roads in the Sauerland and Bergisches Land may meanwhile be closed for motorbikes on weekends and public holidays. They had too many accidents and are enforcing speed limits and road closures. Even a few unmarked police bikes are loitering there.

Pip

Oh, by the way, as this is my first post in this thread ... hello everybody!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto rrad View Post
I'm here living in Muenster, NRW.

Can someone please tell me where I can go "offroad" riding? Just gravel trails, or dirt roads.. Teutoburger Wald or Sauerland?

My little xf650 freewind wants some dirt!

Someone point me in the direction of some good riding roads .. please!

Gruesse, Stu
Old 12-24-2012, 12:07 PM   #648
pubetmaster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Thanks

maybe we can manage something to ride next year together, wheres your major area you drive ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marret View Post
Great photo.

I live in Kaiserslautern as well, but unfortunately am not fluent in Deutsch.
pubetmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:35 PM   #649
Jim pedley
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Thumb

[QUOTE=Martigo;19961142]Hej everyone,

Iīm back on ADV - was "OFF" the whole time, - to much work and family-business - my son is riding too now, starts is moto-carrier beginning end of August on a Yami XT660 X - he rides until now about 6500 kīs. So I rode a lot the last to monthīs with him. Thatīs reason Iīm not often here at ADV.

Good to see back !!!
Jim pedley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:15 PM   #650
marret
Transient

Oddometer: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by pubetmaster View Post
Thanks

maybe we can manage something to ride next year together, wheres your major area you drive ?
Sure, love to get out.

We actually ride all around K-Town, spent time in every direction from here. Depends on how long we will ride. I normally go south for short rides because there is very good riding close. Last time we went out we went to Johanniskreuz (very popular with riders) early, then south into France in a loop and then worked our way back to K-Town. Done loops east including Bad Durkheim. Gone north and west to/along the Mosel River near Cochem. Gone west through Homburg. Gone northwest to Luxembourg.
marret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:06 PM   #651
mirificus
bastler

Oddometer: 6
mahlzeit jungs

noch einer hier aber nur halber, from schwarzwald.

sometimes i still dream from schwarzenbachtallsperre

wuensche euch allen einen guten rutsch und weniger saufen

gruss
Old 12-31-2012, 01:59 PM   #652
MikJogg
Weekend Adventurer

Oddometer: 662
Hi mirificus

Greetings from blackforest to bc.

And a few times a year i stop at the schwarzenbachtalsp.,nice place to make a break.

Wünsche euch allen hier auch einen guten rutsch ins neue jahr
MJ

...and winter
MikJogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:19 PM   #653
Cuttle
me? what?

Oddometer: 10,069
An Guadn Rudsch!!!!

from accross the pond.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:22 PM   #654
750Volts!
The M0ds here suck!

Oddometer: 442
Wink Spring ride

Hello/Hallo,
A group of us from the Phoenix Arizona (3) are flying in to Germany (Bad Kreuznach area) the 1st week of May. We had hoped to ride around the Rhein and Mosel area for about 6 days the ride to Valencia, Spain for a week and return. I haven't had much luck finding rentals. Any suggestions? Thanks -Paul

Ein kleine gruppe von Phoenix Arizona (3) kommen nach Deutschland (Bad kreuznach bereich) an den erste woche Mai. Wir moechten fahren in der Rhein und Mosel gebiet fur 6 tagen un dann nach Valencia, Spanien und zuruck fuer ein zweiten woche. Zur zeit haben wir leide keine mieter gefunded. Haben sie idean? Danke fuer ihre helfe und geduld mit meine schlecht schreibung, -Paul

P.s. Our friend in Spain found some motos for our time in Spain, but we would rather make the trip on bikes rather than fly. This may be not possible as the round trip is approximately 4,000 kms. I don't know if a rental company would even allow their bikes to go to Spain. So far the ones I have emailed say no. Figured it wouldn't hurt to ask people that live there. Thanks again
750Volts! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:52 AM   #655
coolgreany
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by 750Volts! View Post
Hello/Hallo,
A group of us from the Phoenix Arizona (3) are flying in to Germany (Bad Kreuznach area) the 1st week of May. We had hoped to ride around the Rhein and Mosel area for about 6 days the ride to Valencia, Spain for a week and return. I haven't had much luck finding rentals. Any suggestions? Thanks -Paul
Have you tried Stefan Knopf? http://www.knopftours.com/Web-Site/Rental.html

Previous Bikes:
1983 BMW R100RT w/ Wasp Earls Forks/wheels w/ Watsonian Oxford Sidecar (England and USA)
1981 BMW R100RT w/ Gemini Sidecar (England)
1977 BMW R60/7 w/ Watsonian Palma Sidecar (Ireland)
1975 Honda CB500-4 (Ireland)
1973 Honda CB250 (Ireland)
1971 Honda CB125 (Ireland)
1970 Honda C90 (Ireland)
???? Honda C50 (Ireland)
coolgreany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:38 PM   #656
750Volts!
The M0ds here suck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgreany View Post
Thank you I will check it out!
Old 01-15-2013, 01:08 PM   #657
fiep
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,923
Jim Knopf?

go google.de 'Motorradvermietung'

http://www.motorradvermietung.net/ht...en/mieten.html
fiep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:43 PM   #658
750Volts!
The M0ds here suck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiep View Post
Jim Knopf?

go google.de 'Motorradvermietung'

http://www.motorradvermietung.net/ht...en/mieten.html
Thanks, I tried one of the dealers from this website and they replied to my email that I wouldn't be able to take their motos to Spain due to insurance issues. They have great prices so maybe I should try a few more of the locations. It looks like they are independent dealers that are associated through the website. -Paul
Old 01-16-2013, 11:17 AM   #659
marret
Transient

Oddometer: 217
+1 on Stefan Knopf. I had some friends rent from him last year and all went well.
marret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:15 PM   #660
HIgh Water
Waisting Time

Oddometer: 350
Moving to Germany

Greetings German ADVers,
I am moving to Germany in April to take a new job. No, not my, touring business, that is going on hold for a few years while I build my retirement plan. I am reaching out to fellow ADV riders for advice. I currently live in Colorado in the summer and Southern Baja in the winter. That lifestyle is hard to give up but life changes sometimes. I am heading over the this week to tour the country and figure out where the best place to live is for great riding, when I am not working. Seems the further south, the better right?

Also, I need to figure out if I should ship my bikes over or just build up another collection while there. I'll be there for three to five years. Then I plan on resuming my Colorado/Baja routine.

Thanks for any advice.
'06 KTM 525 EXC Baja 2008 Race Bike
'06 KTM 450 EXC
HIgh Water is offline   Reply With Quote