Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2009, 06:43 PM   #166
osteo
Motion is Life

Oddometer: 1,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob599
Just wondering if anybody new what the stator output was stock? I asume its around 90 and was wondering if anybody offered a higher output stator.

Thanks Ned. I bought both your vids and the book! Great stuff! Thought I was on to somthing with the road book holder but sounds like it was a let down.
Actually, I think it is closer to 70w (at least on the 450 I believe it is). I put the Trail Tech stator on my bike (100w) and no problems running 2HID's as well as my Garmin 276. Not sure what the Baja Designs is, or I know you can get it rewound which can give you more output.

D

Rally Connex Adventures
Off-Road Adventures
Make It Stick Media

Adventure Has No Destination

08' KTM 450 EXC - The Half Beast -
04' Yamaha TTR250 (for the wife)
osteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 07:16 PM   #167
PacWestGS
Life Is The Adventure!

Oddometer: 10,866
Quote:
Just wondering if anybody new what the stator output was stock? I asume its around 90 and was wondering if anybody offered a higher output stator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by osteo
Actually, I think it is closer to 70w (at least on the 450 I believe it is). I put the Trail Tech stator on my bike (100w) and no problems running 2HID's as well as my Garmin 276. Not sure what the Baja Designs is, or I know you can get it rewound which can give you more output.
Actually ('09 530 EXC) was rated 140-150watt, which should run any after market HID or H4 Halagon without issue.

Guess I can't say what the "R" was it may have been lower, but I don't think so.

The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. (Albert Einstein)
PacWestGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 07:43 PM   #168
Bob599
Bob599

Oddometer: 284
Stator 150 Watts

Downloaded the 2010 KTM EXC Manual;

Page 91 Generator 12V 150 Watt

I guess I'm suprised since trail tech sells a 100w. Why would anybody buy a aftermarket stator with less watts? I think I must be missing somthing.
Bob599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 07:43 PM   #169
Country Doc
Wanderer

Oddometer: 2,660
The KTM stators are AC current which I am told will not be good for HID lighting. I have no idea why, but that's what I'm told.

Also the KTM stator's rated output is at max-output rpm. The Trailtech stators are rated at idle. 100W's at idle is a lot more than the stock EXC stator puts out. Trailtech told me by phone that their stator should easily run the 70W HID X2, heated grips, a GPS, rad fan and another 35W helmet light. Practical experience on KTMTalk with the stock stator seems like it's way less than that - lots of folks that add any single additional accessory (fan for example), will not get adequate charging of their battery.

dc
Country Doc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 08:02 PM   #170
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwrider75
... lots of folks that add any single additional accessory (fan for example), will not get adequate charging of their battery.
That was my experience when I had the fan- on a really difficult section with the fan running constantly and a few restarts, I'd have to start kicking.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 09:57 PM   #171
osteo
Motion is Life

Oddometer: 1,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro
That was my experience when I had the fan- on a really difficult section with the fan running constantly and a few restarts, I'd have to start kicking.
Hmm.. I'll have to remember that after I install my fan.
Sort of makes one think about switching to the current stator.

D

Rally Connex Adventures
Off-Road Adventures
Make It Stick Media

Adventure Has No Destination

08' KTM 450 EXC - The Half Beast -
04' Yamaha TTR250 (for the wife)
osteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 10:09 PM   #172
Bob599
Bob599

Trail Tech

Ned, did you upgrade to the trail tech stator? Or has anybody actualy instaled one and what were the results.

They told me that if I added a heavy weight flywheel and their stator on my CRF 450 R it would have 50 watts at idle and keep my headlight bright. More like half throttle it was bright. I did end up putting on one of their battery back ups and it did work well but the stator upgrade from my Baja Designs made no difference at all. Their products, in the end, worked well and had good customer service with knowledgeable people. Don't mean to bash but you know.....

Just wondering before I spend $170.
Old 11-28-2009, 01:11 AM   #173
JayBo1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,639
I run the TrailTech stator on my '09 530 EXC Rallye bike. It's fitted with heated grips, twin HID's and all the Rallye navigation gear and additional dust lights needed for Rallye racing. The standard stator is almost exclusively wound for AC with very few coils for providing the DC necessary for the battery charging and running a few DC items in the circuit. I have had no problems with the Trailtech stator and the fitting was reasonably simple if you can follow instructions, can solder and do simple mechanical stuff. I have just today picked up a fan unit to fit ready for the Abu Dhabi Desert Challenge and am told that you need the Trailtech upgrade to run one.

BTW, if anyone wants a Trailtech 100W kit for a 2-Stroke KTM give me a shout. Mecasystem accidentally sent me one so it's just taking up space.
KTM 530 EXC-R (R for Rally, right!!) ... or Retired or Redundant
Cagiva 750 Elefant - Lucky Explorer '88
JayBo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 05:53 AM   #174
Bob599
Bob599

thanks for the reply and good luck in the rally!
Old 11-28-2009, 07:09 AM   #175
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,763
Quote:
Ned, did you upgrade to the trail tech stator?
No, that was with the stock part. Last 2 bikes I just didn't install a fan and try to ride faster. That's working out well so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBo1
if anyone wants a Trailtech 100W kit for a 2-Stroke KTM give me a shout.
I'm sorta interested, but I bet shipping would make it a bad deal for us both.

I fitted my 09 300 with a high wattage Halogen Baja Designs setup and it works great. Fades at idle, but not much, and very rideable at night.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 07:57 AM   #176
JayBo1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro
I'm sorta interested, but I bet shipping would make it a bad deal for us both.

I fitted my 09 300 with a high wattage Halogen Baja Designs setup and it works great. Fades at idle, but not much, and very rideable at night.
I'm happy enough to take it along to the post office and see what it would cost to freight over and let you know. Might not be too bad.
Ciao
JayBo
KTM 530 EXC-R (R for Rally, right!!) ... or Retired or Redundant
Cagiva 750 Elefant - Lucky Explorer '88
JayBo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 10:31 PM   #177
tobys
OCD Hobbiest

Oddometer: 321
Speaking of lights...

What's with the little second bulb in the 530 housing. The wiring diagram calls it a "parking light", but it is never on by itself - is it some sort of failsafe so you have something if the regular bulb goes? That doesn't seem right...

Thanks!
tobys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 10:38 PM   #178
guns_equal_freedom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobys
What's with the little second bulb in the 530 housing. The wiring diagram calls it a "parking light", but it is never on by itself - is it some sort of failsafe so you have something if the regular bulb goes? That doesn't seem right...
Thanks!
European running light.
guns_equal_freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 11:14 PM   #179
tobys
OCD Hobbiest

Oddometer: 321
So, in Europe, the headlight is not always on, but the parking light is? I guess that makes sense... Thanks.
tobys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 01:03 AM   #180
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,111
its a daytime driving light and supposedly in highly lit "light polluted areas" it is legal to use at night to cut down on the "pollution" also can be used for a short parking light... I have a hella 90mm like that
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is online now   Reply With Quote