Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2010, 05:39 AM   #196
stevh0
Super Retard.

Oddometer: 1,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigborefan
Motomark always sets em up sweet. I think he sells em pretty regularly as well?

My problem right now is that i want a 530 and a 950SE, and that ain't in the budget, so I gotta decide. Who knows, maybe even one is not in the budget. I always run a balanced budget, no deficits.
I have the same problem....
Ex SM610, FS570, WR450, Africa Twin(s)
stevh0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 04:46 PM   #197
lstewart
Jus' Sayin'

Oddometer: 568
Subframe issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvestal
Current (over packing) setup for 2 weeks off the bike in Baja.
I'm kicking around the idea of a 530 as my next bike. Still in the research mode.
That's quite a load on that bike. Any concerns about subframe stability?
Old 01-20-2010, 05:00 PM   #198
c.vestal
Rally On

Oddometer: 4,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by lstewart
I'm kicking around the idea of a 530 as my next bike. Still in the research mode.
That's quite a load on that bike. Any concerns about subframe stability?
just got back from 16 days in Baja with that setup. Not a concern and subframe is perfect after inspection. There is a Pro Moto Billet rack under the dry bag. Real nice mounting system to the subframe.

c.vestal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 05:03 PM   #199
c.vestal
Rally On

Oddometer: 4,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by motowest
So, what sort of gear have you added? I recall this was Ned's first bike, right? Obviously there is some Wolfman gear (good choice!). What sort of range do you get with that tank and how many gallons? Thanks!
3.2 gal. I was getting about 140 at sea level average. On sandy day, 130. Road day at 65mph about 120. (should have geared up for that trip my only regret)
c.vestal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 05:15 PM   #200
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,806

Sick as a dog, so just saw this thread had popped back up and figured I'd add a couple things.

1) I put a dirttricks 50T sprocket on my 08 out of the box. Then I kept it when I sold that to Hair, and put it on my 09. I kept it when I sold that bike to cvestal, and now have it on my '10. I bought another one for my other wheel, and when I compare the two, they look identical.

The original sprocket has at least 300 hours of use. I typically get 60-80 hours from a set of chain and sprockets... to say I'm impressed is an understatement. Chains last much better too, because they aren't being stretched across uneven sprocket spacing. Cool product- a little spendy up front, but clearly worth it!

2) The wolfman enduro saddlebags (in cvestals pic above) fit perfectly and don't move around at all. Definitely a good solution if you're doing an epic, and plenty of space for everything you need except camping gear.

3) An interesting performance comparison: I've got a little track that I practice on which is basically 2nd and 3rd gear grasstrack through a field. Some of the corners have rutted and bermed, some are still flat and loose. There's a little vertical relief, but not much. A lap consists of full gas, full brakes, corner, full gas, full brakes, corner. Speeds are never higher than about 30, never lower than about 10.

Here's a pic from it:

Anyway, in repeated experiments, my best lap times are exactly the same on the 300 and 530. To the tenth. Repeatedly.

The 300 feels faster, but the 530 is easier to be precise with because the motor is so predictable. But even so, I've had clean laps on the 300 and they weren't faster than clean laps on the 530. Next step will be to run 10 laps for time on each bike, and see if I eek out an advantage in consistency.

Not much of a point to this story, beyond that I find it fascinating that the 530 is clearly competent at something you might assume the 300 would be superior at, and that the stopwatch is always interesting.

4) Nothing of interest to report on the 2010. Valves haven't moved @ 40some hours (I've been gone a lot) and suspension has broken in to be just as good as the 09.

More riding, please!

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 05:54 PM   #201
lymanwhite
Monkee Bidness

Oddometer: 307
One question - does anyone ever use the ignition curve plug? The manual is quiet about it, other than pointing it out in the wiring diagram... I assume it is the white and black wire at the top left of the gas tank. I've not unplugged it yet, but am interested in people's opinions.

'I played around with running the bike with the wire plugged in or not, I "think" it feels more mellow with the wire unplugged, but it might be my imagination. Can anyone confirm? Ned?'

Good question, bump.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:12 PM   #202
Country Doc
Wanderer

Oddometer: 2,652
Flanny installed a map switch on his 450. He told me he could clearly notice a mellowing of the power which made the bike more tractable in the tight woods.

2nd hand info, but it's a good source. I've recently done the same on my 450 but no chance to ride yet - I'll report back after an upcoming run to Hatfield McCoy in a coupla weeks.

dc
Country Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 07:07 PM   #203
neduro OP
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lymanwhite
Can anyone confirm? Ned?
Good question. Sorry, I haven't had trouble keeping it hooked up on the standard (hot) map, so I never bothered to mess with it.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:33 PM   #204
Shocktower
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,387
Trail Tech makes a great one I use it on my Trail Tech triclops light

'08 KTM 530 EXC
79 RD 400 Daytona
Shocktower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:49 PM   #205
neduro OP
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shocktower
Trail Tech makes a great one I use it on my Trail Tech triclops light
a great what?

Old 01-21-2010, 09:12 AM   #206
pfb
Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer: 5,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro
a great what?
I assume they mean using a trailtech handlebar switch as a map switch...

I use one as a fan switch on my 450. Simple & cheap ($15). Comes with bullet or blade connectors.

No comment on the need for a map switch... Neither my 06 450 or 06 300 have adjustable maps.

PS: Welcome home Ned!
Old 01-23-2010, 08:24 PM   #207
tobys
OCD Hobbiest

Oddometer: 321
Yep

I bought the switch from Slavens Racing (http://www.slavensracing.com/p_ignitionmapswitch.htm)

It plugs into the wire that for my bike is exposed, right above the black (ignition?) box, just to the left of the fuel cap. The wire is black & white, with a male/female plug connecting in a loop to a grey wire. The device simply has it's own male/female, and connects right in.

At a cruise, I can flip the switch and after about one second, there is a noticable increase or decrease in power, depending on which way you flip the switch.

I've found that "low" is a little more comfortable for cruising and for woods riding. It takes a little bit of the edge off.

Got the bike clean today, too - might as well show it off:

tobys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 12:38 AM   #208
stevh0
Super Retard.

Oddometer: 1,385
Bike looks Mint!
Ex SM610, FS570, WR450, Africa Twin(s)
stevh0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 08:35 PM   #209
PAF
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Hello everyone ...

I can not find information on tormenting me a question ...
I have a 2009 EXC 400 and I have a question for users EXC models.

I have a KTM Power part radiator guard and I read that the 13l tank excludes installations along with this.

Whitch of the radiator guards match the KTM 13l tank and KTM radiator fan with?
Do you have some experience in this topic?
DRZ 400 ADV delivered in good hands...
Romet 700 Pegaz ... childhood:)
PAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:33 AM   #210
neduro OP
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAF
I have a KTM Power part radiator guard and I read that the 13l tank excludes installations along with this.
I'm not sure if any of the good radiator guards work with the 13L tank, but since the tank protects the radiators with the shrouds (which are rigid as they contain fuel), I'm not sure why you would want radiator guards in addition.