Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2012, 07:03 AM   #2926
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 7,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman View Post
I like the looks of this one better as it seems to use less bar space...

I've run out of space on my Twinwall bars.

Anybody try this one? Are they plug and play?

I guess the kill button would get hit accidentally?
That works on a Honda, not a KTM because of the way the perch mounts.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:25 AM   #2927
cross-country

Oddometer: 1,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Pig View Post
That works on a Honda, not a KTM because of the way the perch mounts.
I mounted these on my SuperEnduro using old perch mounts off the Master-cylinders.
cross-country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:51 AM   #2928
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman View Post
I like the looks of this one better as it seems to use less bar space...

I've run out of space on my Twinwall bars.

Anybody try this one? Are they plug and play?

I guess the kill button would get hit accidentally?
I'm using that style on my bike right now for the start/kill, but would much rather have the other.

jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:37 AM   #2929
trailjammer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazyjohnny View Post
So I finally got off of center and have my new Clockworks tank on the way. It only took me 4 months to finally order it. Now I have ordered in the simplest bags I could find in the Ortlieb Moto saddle bags and am not satisfied with their fit to the 530. I guess my other options would be to make something to my liking, GiantLoop Coyote, Nomad Rider Moab, Wolfman Rolie or E-10, or something more modular.

I am leaning towards either the Giant Loop Coyote or Nomad Rider Moab specifically. There is a pretty sizable price difference between the two of these. Any insight into any of these would be great.
I run the Giant Loop Coyote and it works great. Attaches securely, durable, and don't even know it's there when you're loaded up. I'd recommend it.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:23 PM   #2930
onetravdown
I can't ride where?

Oddometer: 883
Ok, I'm going to ask this question against my better judgement. But what oil are you guys running? . I know the manual calls for motorex 10/50. But with the frequency of oil changes and motorex being $20 a lite, I figure there has got to beanother alternative. The 530 is my first 4t KTM so please go easy on me.
onetravdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:33 PM   #2931
bikepikespeak.com
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by trav72 View Post
Ok, I'm going to ask this question against my better judgement. But what oil are you guys running? . I know the manual calls for motorex 10/50. But with the frequency of oil changes and motorex being $20 a lite, I figure there has got to beanother alternative. The 530 is my first 4t KTM so please go easy on me.
As advised from earlier posts by those much smarter than I...I go with Mobil 1 15/50. The one w/ the checkered flags. Do a search on this thread for "Mobil Oil" and it will pull up more info.
bikepikespeak.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:28 PM   #2932
onetravdown
I can't ride where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikepikespeak.com View Post
As advised from earlier posts by those much smarter than I...I go with Mobil 1 15/50. The one w/ the checkered flags. Do a search on this thread for "Mobil Oil" and it will pull up more info.
Thanks. The mobil 1 search came back with some info. My previous search did not produce the correct responses. Anyway, from what i gathered -

Motor - Mobil 1 15w-50
Transmission oil choices - mobil 1/castrol racing 4t 15/40, Golden Spectro 20w/50, Rotella 15/40 dino

Does that about cover it?
Old 03-21-2012, 09:14 PM   #2933
pfb
Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer: 5,382
Quote:
Ok, I'm going to ask this question against my better judgement. But what oil are you guys running?
Oil questions bring seem to bring about more arguments than Palin vs. Nader. (Their twit vs. our twit).

But that aside, lots of folks run and swear by Rotella T 15W40 (non synthetic) and Rotella T6 5W40 (full synthetic).
  • Yes, it is a diesel oil.
  • Yes, it has a JASO-MA rating (motorcycle application rated, tested compatible with wet clutches).
  • Yes, it has a different viscosity than recommended.
  • Yes, it is still highly regarded as KTM oil.

Rekluse also recommends Rotella T 15W40 exclusively on bikes fitted with their auto clutches...

No doubt many will post that this is incorrect, and that using a 5W40 diesel oil will cause your KTM to explode into a ball of flames, so I encourage you to do some googling on Rotella in motorcycles and draw your own conclusions. (it's what I run...)

I don't think that the current version of Mobil 1 15W50 carries the JASO-MA rating. The only current Mobil 1 oils I know of that carry JASO-MA are Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 and Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W-50 4-cycle motorcycle oils. Pretty sure in fact that the current Mobil 1 15W50 has friction modifiers in it, NOT what you want in a wet clutch bike.

pfb screwed with this post 03-21-2012 at 09:27 PM
pfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:18 AM   #2934
onetravdown
I can't ride where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfb View Post
Oil questions bring seem to bring about more arguments than Palin vs. Nader. (Their twit vs. our twit).

But that aside, lots of folks run and swear by Rotella T 15W40 (non synthetic) and Rotella T6 5W40 (full synthetic).
  • Yes, it is a diesel oil.
  • Yes, it has a JASO-MA rating (motorcycle application rated, tested compatible with wet clutches).
  • Yes, it has a different viscosity than recommended.
  • Yes, it is still highly regarded as KTM oil.

Rekluse also recommends Rotella T 15W40 exclusively on bikes fitted with their auto clutches...

No doubt many will post that this is incorrect, and that using a 5W40 diesel oil will cause your KTM to explode into a ball of flames, so I encourage you to do some googling on Rotella in motorcycles and draw your own conclusions. (it's what I run...)

I don't think that the current version of Mobil 1 15W50 carries the JASO-MA rating. The only current Mobil 1 oils I know of that carry JASO-MA are Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 and Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W-50 4-cycle motorcycle oils. Pretty sure in fact that the current Mobil 1 15W50 has friction modifiers in it, NOT what you want in a wet clutch bike.
Thanks for the detailed response and not burning me at the stake. The oil question does seem to illicit different responses all over ADV.

Anyway, I'm familiar with Rotella as that's what I ran exclusively in my VFR for 30,000 miles without issue. Good to know I can use it in the transmission for the 530. So it would be safe to assume then that Mobil 1 15w-50 in the motor and Rotella in the transmission?
Old 03-22-2012, 06:28 AM   #2935
FlyingDutchman
Dirt Biker

Oddometer: 786
Quote:
So it would be safe to assume then that Mobil 1 15w-50 in the motor and Rotella in the transmission?
That's my favourite combo.
FlyingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:14 PM   #2936
Bungholio
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 558
Bluhduh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusgatos View Post
I'm using that style on my bike right now for the start/kill, but would much rather have the other.

Familiar looking handlebars, I just put a set on my bike last night.(the 1 1/8" model). Took a test ride today and got pulled over by local police. He thought I was riding an off-road only bike. The second time that has happened.
Bungholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:27 PM   #2937
guns_equal_freedom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,442
I just rode a 2012 EXC 500.

The 530 is soooo 2010....
guns_equal_freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:57 PM   #2938
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungholio View Post
Familiar looking handlebars, I just put a set on my bike last night.(the 1 1/8" model).
Yeah, they're great. We were running the 1 3/8" EXP's on all our bikes, but switched over to the 1 1/8" EXP's since the big bars got discontinued. Plus it's a lot easier mounting steering stabilizers and handguards and all that stuff.
jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:58 PM   #2939
ekms377
The 2-Stroke Guy

Oddometer: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by guns_equal_freedom View Post
I just rode a 2012 EXC 500.

The 530 is soooo 2010....
Do tell........
'14 KTM 350XCF-W

ekms377 is offline   Reply With Quote