Old 05-23-2008, 01:40 PM   #16
Pete156
I love to eat!

Oddometer: 1,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro

The most exciting mod, by far, is adding an Akrapovic Exhaust:

Me Likee...

Sounds like all the ingredients of a perfect pipe.

1000 CBR
200 KDX

Old 05-24-2008, 04:15 PM   #17
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,761
Jumping around chronologically, here's all the stuff that came off in my prep:

Which when you think about it, going from a California Smog Certified street legal vehicle, to a full-on offroad racebike (err, I mean streetbike, officer), is not very much. KTM did a great job of spec'ing- not much baloney to dispose of.

Another item I added, of course, was a skidplate. I put on an Enduro Engineering one, because it was available quickly and easily, and while it's OK, I'm not impressed. For one thing, I had to modify it to change the oil without removing the plate:

And you still can't see the oil level very clearly.

The protection it offers is, in my opinion, no better than average, which is to say much better than nothing at all but not so far along as "good". I had a rock kick up off my front wheel and break the bottom of my clutch cover, many plates would not have protected that either, but it didn't serve to endear me to the plate.

So, when Wonky from the UK called and offered to trade a plate from adventure-spec for a few copies of my DVD, I said sure. I haven't seen the plate yet, but based on the others shown on their site, I'm optimistic. A full review will follow here...

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 07:54 PM   #18
woodsrider

Oddometer: 587
Yeah, I wasn't too wild with the EE plate either, Ned. It was the first plate available for the 2008s, so I bought one (actually a Flatland) right after I got my 450 last August. Very agricultural in appearance, can't access the oil filter (as you noted), can't see the oil sight glass and generally lackluster coverage. I replaced mine with a Hyde Racing unit, but the "teflon copolymer" (i.e., hi-zoot plastic) construction is a bit of a worry. I would still like to find a thick carbon fiber unit. I believe that E-Line and P3 have one available, but I'm not too excited about buying one sight unseen.

1997.5 KTM 200LE Jackpiner
'75 Bultaco 250 Alpina (M137)
woodsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 01:08 PM   #19
Denn10
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Quote:
That's funny, the dual cams have been bombproof around here.
it wasnt meant to be a joke! wanted to know if this is a thing that only offroad racing and the stress on that may be the factor as most street ridden bikes are nowhere ridden as hard as an offroad desert racing bike. I dont know alot of specifics about the bike and whats been done he (aka Matt Eddy factory KTM offroad) told me. He said that hes tossed 2 or 3 engines on the new dual cam bikes.
Old 05-29-2008, 02:44 PM   #20
03x2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denn10
it wasnt meant to be a joke! He said that hes tossed 2 or 3 engines on the new dual cam bikes.

The 530 EXC is a single cam. I love mine, but I don't know if I would pay
the 2009 price of $9500.00.
03x2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 03:21 PM   #21
neduro OP
Addict

Recent updates:

1) Renazco Racing Saddle. Needs no introduction, I suspect, for everyone to understand why I did this mod and what makes it so great.

It is, of course, mondo comfy and a "just right" combination of plush without being soft, giving feedback from the tires while cornering without overwhelming, and I think suede has the perfect amount of grip vs. slide on the pants.

As ever, the workmanship and fit are top notch. I've seen precious few companies that get it so consistently right. This is about my 7th Renazco Saddle (2x 950 ADV, 1x 950 SE, XR 650R, KTM 450 XC, KTM 250 XCW) and all of them have been absolutely perfect, to the point you wonder how he does it without having your bike in the garage.

2) Guard-IT Skidplate from adventure-spec in the UK.

I goofed and did not take a picture of the mounting bracket- suffice to say, it's a piece of machined billet that is pretty impressive.

Relative to the EE skidplate, this is a decided improvement, for several reasons. First, you can see the oil level in the window, which is always nice. Second, the mounting system is much nicer, and the front of the plate tucks back behind the exhaust header so that crap doesn't fill down in front of the motor. Third, the fit is more precise and correct, the EE part was OK but uninspiring. This one is very nicely done, everything fit absolutely perfectly and matched the lines "just so".

If I have a nit to pick, I'd like to see a bit more width, especially since the clutch cover is so thin. A rock could conceivably kick up and hit the bottom of the clutch as has already happened to me, although it was certainly a fluke.

This plate is about $30-40 more than the EE part, and I'd say it is worth it just based on the fit. Of the options I've tried or closely examined, it is the pick of the litter (plastic quick release plate, EE plate, Flatland plate, G-it). If they made a version with a bit more full coverage, they'd be head and shoulders ahead.

3) Superplush Suspension:

I always wind up gushing about this stuff, which I hate. It makes me sound uncritical, and given how much I bitch about suspension, that is surely not the case.

The stock suspension is OK, but has too much high-speed damping which makes it prone to deflection and harshness over bumps that generate high shaft speeds. The net effect is that the bike is tiring to ride and takes too much "management" in chop and cobble and trail junk.

This one doesn't do any of that. It's easy to keep on line, comfy, and more predictable to turn and slide. It doesn't have even one whit of that "is my front end going to stay with me" feeling, ever.

Me Likee.

From my perspective, the bike is just about done. It is now comfy, protected, and ready for just about anything I can throw at it. It has a bit over 2000 miles of trail use so far, and as yet the valves have not budged- zero adjustments in that time, far better than any of the RFS bikes I've owned. I think it's going to be perfect- reliable, comfy, fast, capable of throwing down A-pace when desired, capable of chugging and exploring when desired.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
Old 06-04-2008, 05:46 PM   #22
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer: 9,478
Hey Ned, bike looks awesome.

Did you wind up doing the o-ring mod on the accelerator pump linkage. We did my buddy's (along with a JD needle) and it fixed it's bog right off idle. I'm assuming you've got it worked out, not all of them seem to do it, but figured I'd mention.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:05 PM   #23
Reddog*
^ "Look up"

Oddometer: 2,633
Quote:
especially since the clutch cover is so thin. A rock could conceivably kick up and hit the bottom of the clutch as has already happened to me, although it was certainly a fluke.
An option is to find a place that sprays Line-X bed liner. Have them coat the clutch cover. Rocks bounch off better.
Mark where the brake lever and pedal are so they can mask if off in those areas.
Reddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 07:53 PM   #24
jnock827
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Neduro, I have a 08 KTM 450 excr and also live in CS. I really like the looks of that Guard-IT plate. Can you give me the website or contact info so I can look into one. I currently have a QR hardparts plate but am not satisified with its strength and durability. You have about 1500 more miles on yours so its good to hear its been reliable. I just did my first valve check and it was in spec also. I finaly wore out those Metzler's and am mounting Desert IT's now. These are great bikes!

Let me know if you are looking for a riding partner sometime. It sounds like your an A level rider. It's been 8 yrs since I raced so I don't know how my speed compares anymore. Anyway pm me if your interested.
jnock827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 06:05 AM   #25
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer: 9,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnock827
Neduro, I have a 08 KTM 450 excr and also live in CS. I really like the looks of that Guard-IT plate. Can you give me the website or contact info so I can look into one. I currently have a QR hardparts plate but am not satisified with its strength and durability. You have about 1500 more miles on yours so its good to hear its been reliable. I just did my first valve check and it was in spec also. I finaly wore out those Metzler's and am mounting Desert IT's now. These are great bikes!

Let me know if you are looking for a riding partner sometime. It sounds like your an A level rider. It's been 8 yrs since I raced so I don't know how my speed compares anymore. Anyway pm me if your interested.
There's a link up there. ^

Ned is an "A" rider at least.
Team Double Barrel

Welcome to the site.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:04 AM   #26
neduro OP
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnock827
Neduro, I have a 08 KTM 450 excr and also live in CS. I really like the looks of that Guard-IT plate.
Adventure-Spec

Quote:

Always looking for good people to ride with!

Old 06-05-2008, 06:38 PM   #27
jnock827
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Thanks, for the link. Oops I didn't see the link in the above post. This is a great site! I have been lurking for a while now and finally decided to sign up.

Cody, I think my last statement came out wrong. I don't care how fast anyone is, it's about having fun on our motorcycles. After reading that Ned felt he could run A pace on his EXCR I assumed he was an A rider. Thats what I get for assuming.

jnock827 screwed with this post 06-05-2008 at 06:50 PM
jnock827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 06:32 PM   #28
mjf
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Just thought I would toss in a pic of the new Acerbis 3 gallon tank. This thing fit like a glove.

mjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 06:38 PM   #29
reconsmr
Banned

Oddometer: 1,522
Is that wider than the stocker?
reconsmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 07:56 AM   #30
03x2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Does that tank work with the fan kit?