Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2013, 08:25 AM   #3811
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by antpatterson View Post
Well I talked to my mechanic friend and he said the water impeller should tighten on it's on but I tightened it a good bit and ran it for awhile now, and went out flying on it today and no issues or leaks. My mechanic buddy has been working on dirtbikes for 35+ years and he doesn't always use a torque wrench either if you know what feels good then it should be tight enough, my next project is the DirtTricks came tensioner.

I have a separate question, I've had no oil issues at all BUT I don't know if any previous owners did the oil seal correction or if this bike even has that potential problem since it was the early 08's and some 09's, I read later 08's were corrected though. The question though, is combining the tranny and engine oil better? Any good picture threads on how this is done? Does it require machining? Cost?
A mechanic who sees no need for a torque wrench is what you call a shade tree mechanic,guessing with really expensive Austrian bike parts isnt a great idea.

If it isnt broke I wouldnt fix it as far as the oil transfer issue,many 08's are still going strong with out oil transfer issues.
Not many guys have combined the oil galleys on these bikes,I would run it as the factory built it and not worry.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:01 AM   #3812
antpatterson
XR650L_High_Runner

Oddometer: 378
That's what I figured, I just didn't know if the combining was worth it or not and until I see an oil problem I'm not going to be concerned about it I am however going to do the oil pump upgrade and get teh Samco thermostat bypass kit soon as well since I don't need the Thermostat down here in southern Mississippi.
XR80r
2008 XCRW450
antpatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:04 AM   #3813
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by antpatterson View Post
That's what I figured, I just didn't know if the combining was worth it or not and until I see an oil problem I'm not going to be concerned about it I am however going to do the oil pump upgrade and get teh Samco thermostat bypass kit soon as well since I don't need the Thermostat down here in southern Mississippi.

Many have done the single sump, including the factory rider who were racing them. I'd wait till a crank job unles you have an incurable issue with transfer.

The oil pump upgrade is worth it, I deleted many of the suggested parts, my shaft was fine, the O rings were clearly thinner than the upgrades. I think you can cut the fat to under a $30 job.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:36 PM   #3814
bruceo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Clutch not fully disengaging

I recently picked up a 2010 530 with just 22 hours on it - it's now got about 36 hours. Runs great, fun bike, but I have one nagging problem. When I pull the clutch lever all the way in, there is still a surprising amount of drag from the clutch. For instance, if the bike is not running but in gear, I can't pull in the clutch and roll the bike around - the rear wheel will drag, not roll. I have to shift it to neutral to get it to roll. In addition, I can't start the bike while it is in gear - there's too much drag and the starter motor can't spin the motor fast enough to get it to fire. Unfortunately I tend to stall the bike a fair amount on hills, and I've got to get it into neutral to restart - which can be a pain when stopped on a steep hill.

When I'm riding, the bike shifts fine and gives me no trouble or concern. I've tried adjusting the lever position, but that hasn't helped. The bike came with an aftermarket clutch lever, so I suppose it is possible that it doesn't have the same "throw" as a stock lever. I'm a noob when it comes to dirt bikes, so I'm kind stumped at this point. Any ideas or suggestions?
Old 01-21-2013, 12:39 PM   #3815
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

If it is a midwest mountain engineering lever it needs more travel to do the same amount of work, thus the easier pull. The drag with a dead engine is pretty normal.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:53 PM   #3816
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,322
I get the drag on mine too as do all of my friends with these bikes. When I first start the bike, I can't just put it in gear, it stalls. I have to let it warm up a little bit and give it more revs when doing the first shift into first. After the first one it's fine.

I haven't read of anyone finding a real fix for this.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:25 PM   #3817
antpatterson
XR650L_High_Runner

Oddometer: 378
My 450 does the same thing, never worried about it I just let the bike warm up reallly really good or after a normal warm up I rev it up a little and use the clutch to go (Rekluse EXP installed).
XR80r
2008 XCRW450
antpatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:35 AM   #3818
Foot dragger
singletracker

My 2011 530 clutch drags just enough to be irritating on singletrack,switchbacks can mean stalling the engine with the clutch all the way in. I am going to try bleeding the clutch really well and see what that does.
Maybe turning up the idle just a little might help on tight trails.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:13 AM   #3819
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,345
Same here. Almost all our KTM's have done that. In fact, think my 450 with a Rekluse might be the only one that doesn't. That, and not having to find neutral are probably the only things I really like about it though. It's a finicky bitch.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:58 AM   #3820
bruceo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Thanks for all the replies on the clutch - I guess I'll stop worrying about it. And work on not stalling it so much in the first place!
Old 01-22-2013, 11:18 AM   #3821
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceo View Post
Thanks for all the replies on the clutch - I guess I'll stop worrying about it. And work on not stalling it so much in the first place!

What gearing are you running, consider lower.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:35 PM   #3822
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusgatos View Post
Same here. Almost all our KTM's have done that. In fact, think my 450 with a Rekluse might be the only one that doesn't. That, and not having to find neutral are probably the only things I really like about it though. It's a finicky bitch.
Your Rekluse is finicky? I had a revloc auto clutch on my last 300,I really liked it at first but gradually realized I like having full control of the clutch myself. It threw my timing off on tight singletrack or just trying to go fast,it didnt suit me.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:13 PM   #3823
J.Johnson
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
I didn't care for the Rekluse either. I did not care for it going into freewheel when going down tricky downhill sections where you want engine braking. Also didn't like not having full control of the clutch.

Sent with mind control...
Old 01-23-2013, 10:31 AM   #3824
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Johnson View Post
I didn't care for the Rekluse either. I did not care for it going into freewheel when going down tricky downhill sections where you want engine braking. Also didn't like not having full control of the clutch.

Sent with mind control...
Yup,Ive since picked up a 09 200XCW with OEM clutch and its good to have a regular clutch again,I think the auto clutch can make for a lazy rider on singletrack anyway.
Just one finger on the clutch lever and it does just what I want.
Then it jumps to attention with no slipping like it should. 2 strokes dont tend to stall much anyway,I can see where maybe a Rekluse would be a good thing on a big 4 stroke.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:01 AM   #3825
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Your Rekluse is finicky? I had a revloc auto clutch on my last 300,I really liked it at first but gradually realized I like having full control of the clutch myself. It threw my timing off on tight singletrack or just trying to go fast,it didnt suit me.
It needs to be re-adjusted more often than I'd like, but that's only a minor complaint. My main problem with is has been that I can't seem to get it to disengage (freewheel) predictably (I don't want the compression braking). And that's one of the main reasons I installed a Rekluse. Wanted to set it up to work sort of like a slipper clutch, and Rekluse told me that they have a lot of riders doing that. Especially on sand tracks and racing SM, where they want to settle-down the back end coming into corners. But on deceleration, sometimes it disengages and freewheels, and sometimes it doesn't. I mean, it does disengage. It works. It's just inconsistent. Which sucks when I'm downshifting into corners and expecting one thing and getting another. Have spent a lot of time tuning, and can't get what I want out of it. So I don't use it. Still use the clutch pretty much 100% of the time. But not having to find neutral is nice, and not having to worry about stalling. Not going to remove it, as I really like both of those features.