Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2013, 04:20 PM   #3841
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusgatos View Post
200hrs and 8500 miles on this topend. Robo rode Vegas to Reno right after we built it and afterwards it's been ridden almost exclusively on-road, lots of high-speed backroads and highway miles. Oil changed every 1000-1500 miles. Valves never moved after first adjustment. Bike was still running great, but suddenly started burning oil, so pulled it apart to take a look. Had ordered some rings and valve seals, but wasn't planning on replacing the piston. Robo ran one of his EXC's to 350hrs without doing anything more than changing the oil, and he rode that bike HARD. That's what finally convinced me to sell my XRR and replace it with a KTM. We put a new Wossner piston in this 450XCW right after I got it and figured I'd be able to pile on the miles without worry, especially considering how I was riding it. And it's been rock-solid, but take a look at what I found when I pulled the piston. Lucky-mo-fuckee, right? Cylinder and piston skirts still look great. So do the valves and valve-seats. But looks like I'm going to have to break down and order a new piston. Damn these high-maintenance machines!

Hmmmmm, I wonder if a stock piston would last longer? Bob of Ironmandualsport tried a Thumper 570 kit,put about 25 hours on it and the piston cracked right down the middle in line with the wrist pin,way out in the middle of nowhere in Nevada. It went from running great to dead in about a mile. That was on a 07 525 though.

Its nice you caught this quick like.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:34 PM   #3842
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,299
Dunno. Went with the Wossner because we wanted to get away from KTM's rings and the Wossner was great in that respect. Burned zero oil for 200hrs.
jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:51 PM   #3843
Navin
Unwounding

Oddometer: 6,579
My 41mm carbed 530 is blowing some blue smoke and burning oil so it's getting a Thumper Racing 570 kit and their reground cam, is there a link to a good set of step by step top end instructions?

Thanks.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:02 PM   #3844
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
My 41mm carbed 530 is blowing some blue smoke and burning oil so it's getting a Thumper Racing 570 kit and their reground cam, is there a link to a good set of step by step top end instructions?

Thanks.
Ned did one right here in this very thread. I printed it out and used it a couple of weekends ago to replace my head gasket. The only tip I would add is to mark the cam chain with a Sharpie on the link next to the TDC mark on the cam.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:28 PM   #3845
B-Rod
RubberNecker

Oddometer: 1,879
Quote:

Thanks.
These are links to Ned's pictorial.

Start with posts 637, 662 and 663. Good pics and description.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:42 PM   #3846
Stobie
Mr. Motivated

Oddometer: 1,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Rod View Post
These are links to Ned's pictorial.

Start with posts 637, 662 and 663. Good pics and description.
Yep, I used Ned's procedure. Piece of cake, Nav. I can't imagine an overhead-cam engine being any easier to take apart.

Go ahead and replace the valve stem seals while you're in there. They're not too spendy.

Problems cannot be solved at the same level of awareness that created them.

-Albert Einstein
Stobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:02 PM   #3847
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:

Thanks.
A guy in Chico has a complete 570 kit for sale,cylinder/unused piston ready to go. PM me if interested.

The 570 kit sold locally,sorry.

Foot dragger screwed with this post 02-05-2013 at 06:39 AM
Foot dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:18 PM   #3848
Navin
Unwounding

Oddometer: 6,579
Thanks guys, those pages will be very useful.

I'd take that offer up on the 570 kit but I've already ordered thru Travis but thank you!

The head is shipping out to DJH for a quick going over and a mod to the rocker shafts/seals/cleaning/inspection.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:54 AM   #3849
windyhill
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusgatos View Post
Dunno. Went with the Wossner because we wanted to get away from KTM's rings and the Wossner was great in that respect. Burned zero oil for 200hrs.
Glad you caught it before any damage. I've got about 100 hours on a Wossner and had zero oil consumption as well. I've already got another piston and will change out this winter for good measure. Any wear on the pin?
windyhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:25 PM   #3850
biopig
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Just wanted to say thanks to Neduro and Hodakaguy for their awesome how-to's. Just finished up head rebuild, oil pump gear upgrade, skf fork seals and bushings. Just in time to take advantage of some nice weather here in ks. Thanks again guys
biopig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:37 PM   #3851
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by windyhill View Post
Glad you caught it before any damage. I've got about 100 hours on a Wossner and had zero oil consumption as well. I've already got another piston and will change out this winter for good measure. Any wear on the pin?
Dunno. Was trying to get it put back together in time to take with me to King of the Motos, but that wasn't happening, so left it sitting. Just got back last night and am going to try to get this sorted out this week.
jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:13 PM   #3852
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 6,789
Got my Highway Dirt Bikes fairing mounted today and had to go for a test spin despite the cold weather:

The fairing works great. I installed mine in the lowest possible position since this is my trail bike. I'm 5'10" and at 80 mph the wind hits me in the goggles. It's a nice clean airflow with no buffeting. I like how it keeps the air pressure off the chest.

I'm using a wide beam squadron as my low beam mounted in the upper position and pointed slightly down to illuminate the area in front of the bike. In the lower slot I have a spot squadron as a high beam pointed straight ahead. The low beam is run through an LED PWM dimmer with a high beam bypass all controlled from the handlebar Hi/lLo switch. This way on low beam only the top spot LED is on at 40% power and on high beam both LEDs are on at 100% power.

Low beam:

High beam:

Side view:

Old 02-04-2013, 08:15 PM   #3853
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 6,789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Hmmmmm, I wonder if a stock piston would last longer? Bob of Ironmandualsport tried a Thumper 570 kit,put about 25 hours on it and the piston cracked right down the middle in line with the wrist pin,way out in the middle of nowhere in Nevada. It went from running great to dead in about a mile. That was on a 07 525 though.

Its nice you caught this quick like.
Hope this is a fluke. I just installed a Wossner piston since I started burning oil w/ the OEM one.

I've got 200 miles on it so far and all is well. Lets hope it stays that way.

Send Wossner a picture and see what they have to say about it.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:38 AM   #3854
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Pig View Post
Got my Highway Dirt Bikes fairing mounted today and had to go for a test spin despite the cold weather:

The fairing works great. I installed mine in the lowest possible position since this is my trail bike. I'm 5'10" and at 80 mph the wind hits me in the goggles. It's a nice clean airflow with no buffeting. I like how it keeps the air pressure off the chest.
Look sharp!

From what I could see on the HDB website, the fairing and the bracket, etc. mount to the tripple clamps. Right? How does that feel off road? Does it make the steering heavier?
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:48 AM   #3855
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS View Post
Look sharp!

From what I could see on the HDB website, the fairing and the bracket, etc. mount to the tripple clamps. Right? How does that feel off road? Does it make the steering heavier?
I was wondering the same thing,Ive also forgotten what needed to be done to run an LED headlight,the stator gets something done to it I know. I try to keep stuff as minimal as possible on the front of the bike.
Ive got a knack for breaking headlights and what ever else I put on there.