Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2013, 02:58 PM   #4246
Stobie
Mr. Motivated

Oddometer: 1,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Nice! They are some neatass bikes,I found a 2011 530EXCR and raced 5 hours away and grabbed it paying too much in the process,it had 25 hours on it and I wanted it bad. It came with a JD jet kit which seems to work just great,I do need to put in 1 size leaner pilot as the fuel screw is set about full lean.
But it barks! At sea level or at 6600' out in the Nevada desert it runs real strong,40+ mpg and it was pulling 90mph uphill on a sandy 2 track and wanted to go faster. Snaps to like a big 2 stroke almost. A Q FMF is on it currently,stock EPA muffler is a major butt plug.

Stock suspension did great on sand whoops and is amazingly plush on local singletrack or choppy fireroad,Ive had about 14 KTM's and this one is the best by a ways so far.

After the desert trip with it Im thinking of trying it out more on local tight trail,Ive been riding my 200 but the 530 turns great and will climb anything as fast as you want to go.

The only niggling thing is the clutch not dis-engaging quite all the way,Ive read how many of these bikes do it and its no good for me,wont start in gear and it can stall with the clutch all the way pulled in.
Gotta get that fixed.

Have fun once the rain quits!
I had to travel about the same distance to get mine. I'm a half-hour west of Charlotte, and had to go to Savannah. I had set my radius to about 300 miles, and this was the first 530 to pop up in the six weeks after I decided to go for it. They're like hen's teeth around here. Gotta jump on them when they show up for sale.

Try a different oil in the tranny before you go to too much trouble trying to sort the clutch. Whatever synth was in mine was too slippery for the auto-clutch to work right, and Rotella made it grabby/draggy enough for it to work the way I want it to. You might want to try something more slippery than what you're using now, although it's hard to know what to try without wading through stupid oil threads.

When I had my 950SE, the clutch would drag when I used Motorex full-synth. If the bike were dead-cold, I couldn't push it around the garage in first with the clutch pulled in; and while riding, the clutch was grabby with a narrow engagement point. The next oil I tried was Motul 5100 (a blend). I could pull in the clutch and push the bike around in gear almost as easily as if it were in neutral, the engagement point was much broader, and the shifting much smoother; but it never slipped under power. I obviously have no idea what you use now, but it might be worth trying a quart of 5100 in the transmission.

Don't take this as an endorsement of Motul or slam of Motorex, I just noticed that the clutch behavior was completely different after switching. I don't really have preferences, but tend to try different stuff.

And yep, it's Sunday, and raining again. My driveway looks like a creek. Again.

Problems cannot be solved at the same level of awareness that created them.

-Albert Einstein

Stobie screwed with this post 05-05-2013 at 03:33 PM
Stobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:21 PM   #4247
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman View Post
...considering these levers by ASV touted as unbreakable. Anyone have these installed?
Think those ASV levers are stupid. They only pivot away from the bars, but levers usually get bent up or down. When was the last time your lever got pulled away from your handlebars? Sunline's levers are a much better design.

...and if you guys want to make your outer handguard mounts bombproof, take a look at these little chingaderas that we made.

jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:23 PM   #4248
WVa Dualsport
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman View Post
I installed my handguards into threaded inserts last winter. My handguards have not moved since. I used G2 nylon inserts in some new Twinwall bars with Bonz centermounts. I hoped it would be solid, and so far it has.

However, I did manage to snap my clutch lever off during Day 2 of the Corduroy Enduro. I rode the last three tests with a one finger shorty clutch lever...it could have been worse. If your drop your bike at just the right angle and your levers are adjusted down for standing comfort, they can still snap.

So, I'm considering these levers by ASV touted as unbreakable. Anyone have these installed?

No I don't have any experience with the ASV's, but I do have three of the Zeta version on my 450. Had a set on the old DRZ too. I like them. I ground off the ball end of the clutch lever just to ease getting my fingers in and out of the area. I love the spring loaded feature for the dual lever setup too. Mucho less chance of getting a hand stuck in the wrong place at the wrong time.

...guess I can't find a pic of the front brake setup. Oh, well, you get the idea.

I just wrap my perch mounts in a little teflon tape. They move in a get off, bang them back into place. Not to jinx myself, but I haven't broken a lever in an accident in a few decades.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:13 PM   #4249
Bungholio
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 597
Wink 530EXC on the trail

I hit the trails on May 1 in Western WA, first day the trails were open in Capitol Forest. Used my GoPro Hero3 that I got for Xmas and put together a couple of videos that I uploaded to YouTube. Here are the links if any are interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVOhncDHSzQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rsa161I71w

It was a nice day for me since this is the first trails I have ridden here in 2 years. Tried out some new boots too and they worked really well, Forma Adventure waterproof boots.
Bungholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:54 PM   #4250
GR0NK
Got some screws loose!

Oddometer: 1,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVa Dualsport View Post
... I love the spring loaded feature for the dual lever setup too. Mucho less chance of getting a hand stuck in the wrong place at the wrong time.

What is this setup?

Sean

Nullus Vereor ex Terra Incognita
GR0NK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:34 AM   #4251
Joe
Debaser

Oddometer: 1,726
Anybody have opinions on cooling fans, Dirt Tricks or KTM hardparts?

Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:59 AM   #4252
WVa Dualsport
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by GR0NK View Post
What is this setup?

Sean
Rekluse LHRB on top. OEM Clutch lever (controlling a Rekluse EXP 2.0) . No rear foot pedal.

Old 05-09-2013, 02:37 PM   #4253
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
Ive got the Dirttricks fan,it works fine unless I wash the bike,just that much water makes the switch no longer work until it decides to work again. Considering water is sometimes big part of riding these things,I gotta shoot DT a note and see what they think.
Its a manual switched fan.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:47 PM   #4254
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
If you're asking which is better, think the answer is the KTM fan, hands-down. Only reason to run the DT fan might be in applications where the KTM fan wouldn't clear a tank or something. But a Spal fan vs. a computer fan... no contest.
jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:43 PM   #4255
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,777
I run the hard parts fan....it doesn't come on very much unless you stop alot...I think the Engine Ice made things cooler...fits with the Clockwork tank.
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:03 PM   #4256
B-Rod
RubberNecker

Oddometer: 1,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michhub View Post
I run the hard parts fan....it doesn't come on very much unless you stop alot...I think the Engine Ice made things cooler...fits with the Clockwork tank.
I'm on my second bike with the hard parts fan. Works when it needs to, and I haven't had to worry about switches. If my thermo switch fails, I'll be replacing it, as I don't want to run it all the time or be responsible for making sure I turn it on when it needs to be on. I have enough trouble staying on the bike as it is.

I put the slicks on for a few days, and found some snow in the hills. What a versatile bike! Dirt wheels, ice racing set, and super moto. I really can't see me using these too much though.

Old 05-09-2013, 05:06 PM   #4257
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusgatos View Post
If you're asking which is better, think the answer is the KTM fan, hands-down. Only reason to run the DT fan might be in applications where the KTM fan wouldn't clear a tank or something. But a Spal fan vs. a computer fan... no contest.
The DT fan flows 100cfm and doesnt use much power at all,so there's a few reasons to run one.
People talk about running their battery down with the stock stator when the KTM fan runs alot.
Ive ran my 530 in 100 degree temps and its never spit water out yet so that's a good thing.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:11 PM   #4258
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Thats the trick,the trails around here involve barely moving or stopping,tight singletrack with switchbacks.
4 strokes get hot and blow their water out,fans run a long time sometimes.

I tend to just ride my 200.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:19 PM   #4259
Joe
Debaser

Oddometer: 1,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Ive got the Dirttricks fan,it works fine unless I wash the bike,just that much water makes the switch no longer work until it decides to work again. Considering water is sometimes big part of riding these things,I gotta shoot DT a note and see what they think.
Its a manual switched fan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusgatos View Post
Quote:

Thanks. I picked up the KTM fan, I had read some good reviews on the DT fan kit but I would prefer to stick with OEM for those type of accessories. Next up 14/48, this friggin off road habit is going to put me in the dog house.

Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:36 PM   #4260
resqd1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
Searched cant find, Am I an idiot? Ok so the dash unit. It turns on when the bike rolls forward, but I cant get it to turn on by pressing the buttons or anything. Also I cant get it to do anything with any of the buttons once it is on. Is there an internal battery? I would think something is broken if one or two of the buttons didnt work, but all three buttons wont do anything. Can someone help me out here, or is it an anomaly?
resqd1 is offline   Reply With Quote