Old 05-15-2013, 10:51 AM   #4291
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michhub View Post
Could it be the torque limiter?

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....58&postcount=6

**edit** probably not as that seems more starting issue....
Ive looked at that,I think that is more to do with it starting in gear with the clutch in.

Mine is more just a dragging clutch,seems the same hot or cold.
Ive heard rumors of a special washer that maybe goes behind the clutch to make it work normal.

Then another rumor of putting a small ball bearing in front of the clutch push rod to give more push on the clutch pack.

Then maybe a different oil in the trans can help,Im going to try that first off and see what happens.

Does seem like the guys who built the bike shoulda maybe figured this out.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:23 AM   #4292
antpatterson
XR650L_High_Runner

Oddometer: 378
Update on my XCRW
Today I drained the oil and was going to go into the top and see if anything was wrong there, when I drained the engine oil the oil was pretty much silver with fine metal. Something is obviously being ate away somewhere, anyone have any suggestions or been in a similiar situation and can point me to somewhere to look first? My dad wants to do a top end rebuild still but we are wondering could this all be in the bottom end somewhere? the clutch oil was crystal clear.
XR80r
2008 XCRW450
antpatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:40 PM   #4293
B-Rod
RubberNecker

Oddometer: 1,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Ive looked at that,I think that is more to do with it starting in gear with the clutch in.

Mine is more just a dragging clutch,seems the same hot or cold.
Ive heard rumors of a special washer that maybe goes behind the clutch to make it work normal.

Then another rumor of putting a small ball bearing in front of the clutch push rod to give more push on the clutch pack.

Then maybe a different oil in the trans can help,Im going to try that first off and see what happens.

Does seem like the guys who built the bike shoulda maybe figured this out.
Different oil can make a difference. I've run Rotella in the last couple bikes, but on the 530, it's not clutch drag I want to fix, it's notchy shifting. I'll try something else in the gearbox to see if I can improve my situation.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:39 PM   #4294
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by antpatterson View Post
Update on my XCRW
Today I drained the oil and was going to go into the top and see if anything was wrong there, when I drained the engine oil the oil was pretty much silver with fine metal. Something is obviously being ate away somewhere, anyone have any suggestions or been in a similiar situation and can point me to somewhere to look first? My dad wants to do a top end rebuild still but we are wondering could this all be in the bottom end somewhere? the clutch oil was crystal clear.

You are dealing with the oil from the top and bottom end, so pull it off. You can't get to where that oil came from without at least pulling the head cover off. If you don't see the problem under that, just keep going.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:33 PM   #4295
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,509
Glamour shot from today, just because.

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:41 PM   #4296
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Rod View Post
Different oil can make a difference. I've run Rotella in the last couple bikes, but on the 530, it's not clutch drag I want to fix, it's notchy shifting. I'll try something else in the gearbox to see if I can improve my situation.
I did a service on the bike today,air filter,engine oil and drained the T-6 out of the trans and tried some Maxima transmission fluid,doesnt feel any different that I can tell.
Its weird in that it will sit and idle fine in gear with the clutch in,clunks pretty good when I put it in gear,maybe they all do that.

But when I had it out in the desert and up to full temp, it could,not always but could, stall just from putting it in gear.

I suppose the plates heat up along with the rest of the engine,they expand a little and then the clutch doesnt dis-engage so well.

Id like to get it to work right.

Putting in a Rekluse seems a little extreme,but I can see why people do so.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:43 PM   #4297
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
Glamour shot from today, just because.

Very Nice! You Colorado folks are spoiled rotten,so many amazing places to ride,hike,bike,paddle,ski or what ever.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:59 PM   #4298
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,080
Quote:
I did a service on the bike today,air filter,engine oil and drained the T-6 out of the trans and tried some Maxima transmission fluid,doesnt feel any different that I can tell.
Its weird in that it will sit and idle fine in gear with the clutch in,clunks pretty good when I put it in gear,maybe they all do that.

But when I had it out in the desert and up to full temp, it could,not always but could, stall just from putting it in gear.

I suppose the plates heat up along with the rest of the engine,they expand a little and then the clutch doesnt dis-engage so well.

Id like to get it to work right.

Putting in a Rekluse seems a little extreme,but I can see why people do so.

Check the basket and hub for notching.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:17 PM   #4299
Honkey Cat
Tailights Fade!

Oddometer: 1,064
Both setups

Street beater

photo 701C819C-A6FB-4C20-B48E-2C87D68F5DF7-3070-0000019F9126B800_zps8f337423.jpg

Dirt beater

photo 687E4CEF-270A-41D5-BA1A-67A50DBB1A3E-2599-00000173A786EC7C_zps477a754e.jpg
Old 05-16-2013, 04:39 AM   #4300
Krazyjohnny
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 435
Thanks Hayduke

Hayduke,

Awesome news on fourmile being open. Been watching the pass conditions and was hoping to get up to Alpine tunnel via Hancock Pass. Doubt that will happen with the snow that has recently fallen in the area. We are bringing the Jeep too. Hope to hook up with some old friends from the area when used to live up there. Gonna stay at Mt. Princeton Hot Springs. That should provide some pretty good access to some good riding. May even sneak back up there for the Colorado 2 day. Definately going to run through the Chinamans Gulch with the Jeep and see if it is too rough for the bikes.

Used to come up annually for the IH Rendezvous that was run out of the Chaffe County Fairgrounds.
08' 530 EXCR, 09' Yamaha FZ-6 and dreaming of a new bike
Krazyjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:29 AM   #4301
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazyjohnny View Post
Hayduke,

Awesome news on fourmile being open. Been watching the pass conditions and was hoping to get up to Alpine tunnel via Hancock Pass. Doubt that will happen with the snow that has recently fallen in the area. We are bringing the Jeep too. Hope to hook up with some old friends from the area when used to live up there. Gonna stay at Mt. Princeton Hot Springs. That should provide some pretty good access to some good riding. May even sneak back up there for the Colorado 2 day. Definately going to run through the Chinamans Gulch with the Jeep and see if it is too rough for the bikes.

Used to come up annually for the IH Rendezvous that was run out of the Chaffe County Fairgrounds.
Scouting with a Jeep to see if it's too rough for bikes.........That's interesting.

I have yet to see any trail a Jeep can crawl through that a bike cant go through easily enough.

Id really like to get out to Colorado again this summer,Gunnison area is beautiful.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:52 AM   #4302
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,334
Quote:
Scouting with a Jeep to see if it's too rough for bikes.........That's interesting.

I have yet to see any trail a Jeep can crawl through that a bike cant go through easily enough.

Id really like to get out to Colorado again this summer,Gunnison area is beautiful.
The Jeep likely has a winch, a dirt bike normally won't. That makes them capable of tackling some stuff where you won't get up, ever.

Have a look at this, one of the craziest ride reports on ADV:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=585918
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:09 AM   #4303
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
The Jeep likely has a winch, a dirt bike normally won't. That makes them capable of tackling some stuff where you won't get up, ever.

Have a look at this, one of the craziest ride reports on ADV:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=585918
Ive read through that whole Borneo report,it's fascinating how much work went into the trip,planning,making trails as they went,dragging vehicles with 2 or 3 winches at a time,its about the gnarliest thing a person can do to himself.

A more normal rock crawling trail has ways a bike can sneak through around the worst of things,but it depends heavily on the type of bike and type of rider. An ADV bike has no business out climbing huge rocks,where as a well set up 200KTM can do quite well hopping and crawling over things.

Most 4 wheelers dont winch their rigs straight up stuff,too many things to break on the vehicle.

I used to go 4 wheeling every Monday with friends that owned a 4 wheel drive shop,Mr Toad's Wild Ride had nothing on these guys.
The destruction of vehicles and parts was rampant as was the money spending at the guy's shop after Monday trips.

Fun but too slow for my taste.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:31 AM   #4304
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazyjohnny View Post
Hayduke,

Chinaman's Gulch is fun on a bike, with some good tricky stuff; Carnage Canyon on the other hand... Rockcrawler jeep with winch is necessary- and there's a big sign saying "expect body damage". I've heard of bikes going through, but they basically carried them.

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:50 AM   #4305
Krazyjohnny
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 435
Carnage Canyon is out of the question. I was there one trip when they were installing the large rock bolts as winch points some years ago. The rest of it should be somewhat do-able. My ego is not so big that I won't turn around if it is a bit beyond my ability. Just looking to have some fun and spend some "us" time without the kiddo.

Great info all the way around.

Here is a link to a picture of the Jeep.

http://j.b5z.net/zirw/5/i/u/2123557/...1600.jpg?ab=39
08' 530 EXCR, 09' Yamaha FZ-6 and dreaming of a new bike
Krazyjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote