Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2013, 06:26 PM   #4321
wvridgerider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickfenn1 View Post
I've tried some of the local rock crawling trails in Western MA on mine, only 2 problems I ran into were stopping and going on slick downhills since most of the time if vehicles can't get up a hill they just light up the throttle and put a nice smooth layer of rubber on the rocks and then the 530 once hot from climbing hard inclines with a lot of stops and stalls on the bigger boulder trails does not like restarting after a good hour or so in the heat. Taking your time and the right gearing with low tire pressures and you conquer pretty much anything.

This is the closest trail to me called Jeep eater. This was one of the only places I could really stop and put the kickstand down.

It would be a little more difficult now though.

Oh and I've been a long time Creeper on this thread without posting. Thanks to everyone for helping me make sooo many less bad decisions than I would have.
My brother has a place at Deep Creek. When I go up this summer, should I take my 525? It is plated and I would love to ride it up there.
wvridgerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 03:38 AM   #4322
roastbeef82
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Im still having a hard time getting the clutch to dis-engage all the way on my 2011 530,bled the clutch thouroughly,Im running T-6 Synthetic for trans oil currently,I cant see how it would work well on singletrack with a dragging clutch helping stall the engine in tight stuff.
Any other 530 riders dealt with this issue and fixed it?

Ive had a good collection of KTM's and all had a clutch that dis-engaged no problem.

Thanks for any help!
I have a 2011 530, and mine drags when cold, so much so that when I put it in gear to take off it stalls unless I give it some gas. Also, I have to find neutral to start it on the e-starter - hot or cold. I have kind of got used to it now, just one of the querks of this bike. Was thinking it may get better as time goes on - not done many miles, only 3 oil changes from new.
Old 05-19-2013, 04:15 AM   #4323
davesupreme
grand poobah

Oddometer: 1,436
try some different oil in the clutch side.... my RFS motor does the same thing if i put in 20-50 Mobil 1 MC oil, yet w/the 10-40 Mobil 1 MC oil, it doesn't, and runs great.... too thick of oil, and it won't let the clutch fibers release.... there's definitely a thing between the clutch fibers and what oil you use, i think that's what that JASO/MA thing is about...... with the bike off, leave it in 1st, and push the bike around w/the clutch in, and you'll you'll feel the clutch bind, and it'll be better w/lighter/different oil.... check it out....
davesupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:50 AM   #4324
Stobie
Mr. Motivated

Oddometer: 1,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesupreme View Post
try some different oil in the clutch side.... my RFS motor does the same thing if i put in 20-50 Mobil 1 MC oil, yet w/the 10-40 Mobil 1 MC oil, it doesn't, and runs great.... too thick of oil, and it won't let the clutch fibers release.... there's definitely a thing between the clutch fibers and what oil you use, i think that's what that JASO/MA thing is about...... with the bike off, leave it in 1st, and push the bike around w/the clutch in, and you'll you'll feel the clutch bind, and it'll be better w/lighter/different oil.... check it out....
Motul 5100 has given me the least drag of the oils I've tried.

Problems cannot be solved at the same level of awareness that created them.

-Albert Einstein
Stobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:04 AM   #4325
davesupreme
grand poobah

Oddometer: 1,436
haven't tried that one.... all the good oils are so $$$, but i ain't gonna use that rotella stuff, so.... maybe try that motul stuff.... the 300V stuff is supposed to be good too....
davesupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:19 AM   #4326
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,039
ATF in the trans works very well. I run the Rotella in it sometime too, whatever is in the garage at the time.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 03:04 PM   #4327
WVa Dualsport
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Rekluse recommends Rotella in the transmission side( as opposed to full synth Motorex, or the like).
Old 05-19-2013, 06:58 PM   #4328
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
ATF in the trans works very well. I run the Rotella in it sometime too, whatever is in the garage at the time.
I used to use ATF in my 1981 495,supposed to be the hot settup at the time.

It does seem odd that out of the 14 other KTM's Ive had and many other bikes in general, it was irrelevant what oil was used as far as the clutch dis-engaging. Makes me think there's more to it then just oil choice.

I did get the 200XCW out for 100 miles of tight singletrack over the weekend,2 days of bouncing and thrashing through manzanita/boulders/trees and freshly watered decomposed granite did not suck.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:07 PM   #4329
dirtdiver
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,984
I had a weird thing today. I have almost 10,000 miles on my engine of the 2009 530. I was riding on a 2 day Baja jaunt of about 400 miles. The weather was warm but not hot. The bike was running great. I had about 3/4 of a tank of gas. I was doing 40-55 miles per hour on a graded dirt road. I was pretty much bombing along.

All of a sudden the bike just died. Like I had activated the kill switch. No choking or gasping, it just quit running.

We messed with it for 15 minutes, verified we had gas flowing, verified I had oil, I took apart the kill switch, still no joy.

My buddy towed me 30 miles to the border. Along the way I was hitting the starter periodically with no start. We got to the border, while waiting in line for our turn the bike fired right up. I rode it 20 miles home and it ran as good as it ever did.

Ideas on what to check? It makes me nervous to take it back out without finding something wrong.

DD
dirtdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:31 PM   #4330
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,000
It wanted you to stay in Baja!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
Old 05-19-2013, 10:41 PM   #4331
Ironwood
Friday Harbor, WA

Oddometer: 712
Cdi's will do that sometimes. Get a spare and carry it with you and it will never happen again.
Ironwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:34 AM   #4332
Kiwi Bush Rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdiver View Post
I had a weird thing today. I have almost 10,000 miles on my engine of the 2009 530. I was riding on a 2 day Baja jaunt of about 400 miles. The weather was warm but not hot. The bike was running great. I had about 3/4 of a tank of gas. I was doing 40-55 miles per hour on a graded dirt road. I was pretty much bombing along.

All of a sudden the bike just died. Like I had activated the kill switch. No choking or gasping, it just quit running.

We messed with it for 15 minutes, verified we had gas flowing, verified I had oil, I took apart the kill switch, still no joy.

My buddy towed me 30 miles to the border. Along the way I was hitting the starter periodically with no start. We got to the border, while waiting in line for our turn the bike fired right up. I rode it 20 miles home and it ran as good as it ever did.

Ideas on what to check? It makes me nervous to take it back out without finding something wrong.

DD
I've had that a few times on my 2010 530exc the last time 9km into a 50km loop trail ride it died on me after 3mins it fired up ok about 10km later it happened again I checked everything I could think of 5 or so mins later she fired up again this happened 2 more times before I got to the end of the loop even when she died I would try crash starting it while I still had the momentum no luck at all except the last time 4km from the end on a downhill she fired up I revved the shit out of it & got it another 3km only to die 1km from the finish gave it 5-10mins rest fired her up no problem I haven't been riding the last few months but I need to figger it out before I go out again
Kiwi Bush Rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:15 AM   #4333
Krazyjohnny
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 432
I am going to throw some heresay and conjecture out there on the stalling and firing up thing. This is all totally derived from sharing adult beverages with folks that are in the circuit board industry (primarily DOD).

I have heard that many makers of the common circuit boards (auto and other vehicle) have outsource much of their production to stay more profitable. What this has led to is the boards the circuits are embedded in being not as robust to the vibration and heat conditions as they need to be to keep making proper contact. In the case above, the board in the CDI may have some very fine circuits in it to save on the cost of the (copper/silver/gold/platinum) that the trace is made of, then the board the circuit is etched on is thinner also. That could lead to it being more sensitive to heat distortion. I know that these should all be potted so the issue is lessened, but you just never know if there is an issue because it is all "closed".

I have experienced this many times with the older Ford "gold box" ignition systems. After 20 + years the original will finally give up and then I have replaced as many as 5-6 in a 2 year period of the more modern make.
08' 530 EXCR, 09' Yamaha FZ-6 and dreaming of a new bike

Krazyjohnny screwed with this post 05-20-2013 at 05:43 AM
Krazyjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:31 AM   #4334
dirtdiver
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi Bush Rider View Post
I've had that a few times on my 2010 530exc the last time 9km into a 50km loop trail ride it died on me after 3mins it fired up ok about 10km later it happened again I checked everything I could think of 5 or so mins later she fired up again this happened 2 more times before I got to the end of the loop even when she died I would try crash starting it while I still had the momentum no luck at all except the last time 4km from the end on a downhill she fired up I revved the shit out of it & got it another 3km only to die 1km from the finish gave it 5-10mins rest fired her up no problem I haven't been riding the last few months but I need to figger it out before I go out again
I wish you would get to work on this!

I will pull the tank and look at the wiring, it was literally like an on off switch.
dirtdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:04 AM   #4335
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdiver View Post
I wish you would get to work on this!

I will pull the tank and look at the wiring, it was literally like an on off switch.
I bet its something simple like some corroded connections behind the headlight or elsewhere. A buddy's 525 coasted to a stop one day and it was dirty connections behind the headlight,key switch maybe.
Water splashes everywhere and takes dirt with it.

New KTM's have gone to better connectors Ive heard.

Always,always,check the simplest stuff first.