User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2013, 01:37 PM   #4441
JTOP
Tree Top Flyer

Oddometer: 15
Cool your jets

About a year ago I went through this entire forum as I was ordering parts to build my bike (I think there were about 250 posts). I'm mostly done now, and thanks for all the info. Now I want to improve my cooling system for that really technical slow stuff and I don't recall reading much about this subject. What are the best mods to make in order of effectiveness? I've seen some mention about a water pump upgrade. I know there is the Samco hoses, the waterless coolant and of course the fan kit too. What gives you the most bang for your buck? What combo would almost guarantee that I never overheat?
JTOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:44 PM   #4442
Bungholio
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTOP View Post
About a year ago I went through this entire forum as I was ordering parts to build my bike (I think there were about 250 posts). I'm mostly done now, and thanks for all the info. Now I want to improve my cooling system for that really technical slow stuff and I don't recall reading much about this subject. What are the best mods to make in order of effectiveness? I've seen some mention about a water pump upgrade. I know there is the Samco hoses, the waterless coolant and of course the fan kit too. What gives you the most bang for your buck? What combo would almost guarantee that I never overheat?
Nothing will guarantee that it won't overheat, you can only reduce the possibility. Moving air through the radiators is the best answer. Keep moving by riding better and/or the radiator fan.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Bungholio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:14 PM   #4443
bigborefan
Making new friends

Oddometer: 1,278
I was just thinking about this same topic.

There are larger radiators, fan kit, Samco hoses, water-pump kit and special fluids.

I would go in this order myself.

New fluid - Engine ICE - Water Wetter, etc.

Fan Kit - My XC-W came with a fan.

Samco T-Hose and Thermostat eliminator hoses.

KTM Waterpump kit

Larger Radiators

Women, er, women sense my power, and they seek the life essence. I do not avoid women, Mandrake...but I do deny them my essence
bigborefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:19 PM   #4444
resqd1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
Fan kit first then go from there. If you are in tight stuff I would shy away from larger radiators, as they are already pretty vulnerable when the bike gets laid down. With fan kit and larger water pump you shouldnt have any issues I wouldnt think.
resqd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:32 PM   #4445
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,617
The order I went after the ONE time I over heated in the tight stuff....Engine Ice followed closely by the fan kit....
the fan kit was actually part of my purchase that the PO never installed....I think the hoses are more farkle then function...
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:04 AM   #4446
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,301
Glad to hear those c-clamps are working out for you Ned!

We're selling our bikes so we can raise some money to make more parts. Really hate to give up my 450XCW, but it's in the flea market. All tricked-out. Please pass the word along if you know anyone looking...
jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:45 AM   #4447
Kiwi Bush Rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by resqd1 View Post
Fan kit first then go from there. If you are in tight stuff I would shy away from larger radiators, as they are already pretty vulnerable when the bike gets laid down. With fan kit and larger water pump you shouldnt have any issues I wouldnt think.
I picked up a set of larger radiators for 135$ US 2 years ago after my local KTM dealer quoted me 500$ NZ per side fuck that my bike goes down all the time in tight stuff 1 time sliding around a bend in the track about 25-30 kph my handlebar hit a branch sticking out spat me off the bike the bike hits the deck coolant & steam & a lot of swearing I had a closer look & the radiator had been ripped out of the frame but wasn't punctured undid the hose clamp pushed it back on got my mate to tow me back to the river topped up & rode for the rest of the day still got them on to this day 1 side is a bit bent just gotta bend the plastic Rad fins to fit
& to top it all off they were made in China
Kiwi Bush Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:30 AM   #4448
davesupreme
grand poobah

Oddometer: 1,112
my buddy's '10 450 Six Days ran hot in our slow, sandy fla. stuff.... factory jetting is stupid lean.... 'D' taper needle is real lean.... rejet to 'OCEMP', 162 main fattens it up, runs alot cooler.... and better for the exhaust valves.... and it costs like $25 from 'jetsrus'....
davesupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:48 AM   #4449
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,089
Ive ridden my JD jetted 530 along with a 2012 500EXCR,mine never boiled over on a hot day on some slow trails,the FI seemed to spit water on every trail we were on. I guess the lean FI bike gets hot quick,the jetting on mine must be real close to as good as it gets,gets good mileage,never pops or sputters,doesnt get hot easily. I can ride it at 6500' in the desert and it runs the same as it does here at near sea level.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:38 AM   #4450
JTOP
Tree Top Flyer

Fans

I've been planning on geting a fan. I did the computer fan thing on my 02 520, but wasn't that impressed as the fan didn't last too long. What do you think- is the factory fan kit better than the DIY computer fan set up? Did I just get a bad/weak computer fan?

I don't think I'll be going with larger radiators. I've got the Bullet Proof aluminum radiator guards already. Bigger radiators would render those useless and they've been usefull. If I got the Samco hoses I'd get the ones that eliminate the thermosat for better flow/ less restriction. That's the main reason the hoses make sense to me.

JTOP screwed with this post 06-24-2013 at 11:06 AM
Old 06-24-2013, 10:48 AM   #4451
Greg555
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtop View Post
i've been planning on geting a fan. I did the computer fan thing on my 02 520, but wasn't that impressed as the fan didn't last too long. What do you think- is the factory fan kit better than the diy computer fan set up? Did i just get a bad/weak computer fan?
they are not sealed so they wont last long
Greg555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:23 AM   #4452
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,330
OEM fan kit is the most rugged and flows the most.

Dirt Tricks pulls very little and flows pretty well also.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:33 AM   #4453
trailjammer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigborefan View Post
I was just thinking about this same topic.

There are larger radiators, fan kit, Samco hoses, water-pump kit and special fluids.

I would go in this order myself.

New fluid - Engine ICE - Water Wetter, etc.

Fan Kit - My XC-W came with a fan.

Samco T-Hose and Thermostat eliminator hoses.

KTM Waterpump kit

Larger Radiators
That's exactly what I did years ago BigBoreFan. Works great. Did all but the bigger radiators. The bigger rad was never needed. :)
Old 06-24-2013, 02:18 PM   #4454
JTOP
Tree Top Flyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Ive ridden my JD jetted 530 along with a 2012 500EXCR,mine never boiled over on a hot day on some slow trails,the FI seemed to spit water on every trail we were on. I guess the lean FI bike gets hot quick,the jetting on mine must be real close to as good as it gets,gets good mileage,never pops or sputters,doesnt get hot easily. I can ride it at 6500' in the desert and it runs the same as it does here at near sea level.
I'm running the JD kit in mine too. Lately I've noticed some lean pops on decel, so I'm thinking I may need to adjust a little. What settings are you running?
Old 06-24-2013, 08:18 PM   #4455
xathor
Not actually Gnarly

Oddometer: 438
2008 ktm 450 exc-r

So I chose to pull the head off my new (to me) bike to re-ring the motor, clean up the head, check on the intake valve seals and just generally take a look around. It had an issue with oil mysteriously disappearing.

Pulled the shims to measure them. One has a small dish in it that is easily felt with a finger nail.

Right side intake valve top had some weird wear on it...

Left side exhaust shim, weird dish. Valve clearance was 0.20mm!

One of the shims had what looked like laser etched writing on it. Measured out to 3.15mm

Wear on the cam...

Noticed the rocker shaft plug seals were ate up...

Clearances

Everything was going well until I pulled the jug off... The oil scraper ring exploded in dozens of tiny bits. It didn't appear that any fell down in the motor. I might pull the stator cover to check.

Compression ring gap was 1.28mm ...

Piston looks good though. It is stamped 94.95

A little wear on the bore...

I was planning on just throwing new rings on it and adjusting the valves. Are 3+ mm valve shims abnormal? All the ones I see on the excel calculator are less than 3mm.

Thanks
2008 KTM 450EXC-R (JD Jetted, Wossner, KTM hardparts farkles, AC10's, TT Goodies)
2008 Subaru STi (Cobb Stage 2)
xathor is offline   Reply With Quote