Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2013, 02:47 PM   #4846
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodakaguy View Post
+1 on the fan kit with any tank

I've never had any cooling issues with the large Accerbis desert tank, the wings on the tank are really good at scooping up air to the rads. I have several friends that have the same tanks and don't run the heat shielding underneath like I do and they haven't had any issues so far either....although I like to fail on the safe side :-)

Hodakaguy
Man, I am struggling with the heat issue. Part of the issue is of course that it has been HOT in Utah this summer....it's basically been 100 degrees everyday since June this year. Part of the problem - or maybe THE problem, is that I am a big guy...over 300lbs with full gear on.........so I think I probably put a *little* more demands on the cooling system than your average 165lb MX rider....

So far though, using the tricks from your build, it's gotten a LOT better.

I totally agree with you on the bigger tank issue. I like to use my rotopax carrier to bring water instead of having to carry it all in the camel back. I don't know how some of the guys are able to stay hydrated on the longer rides where I've filled up my camelback like 3 or 4 times to their 1.

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 03:25 PM   #4847
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,372
First day back on my 530 since I broke my thumb in June. Damn, I love this thing!

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 03:33 PM   #4848
Hodakaguy
NorthWest Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 1,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesupreme View Post
i gotta RFS bike, but am interested in setting it up for some out-west stuff like 'yer talkin' about....gotta 6 gal. Acerbis tank yet to be installed....

could you say how much you had to go up on the spring rates for all the extra gas/camping/traveling stuff weight?...

my 450 is set up pretty good for me now just for Fla. woods/sand riding, .50 fronts, and 10.0 rear.... sag is right on, turns nice.... i'm probably 190 nekkid, and i wear alotta gear, so i gotta be 210 or more geared up.....

thanks.....
When I sold my 530 I also sold him the extra springs that went with it....and I didn't write down the rates I was using . When I set up my last 530 for desert trips I called Slavens and talked to him on the phone, told him how I'd be riding and the weight of all my combined riding gear, camping equipment and larger tank, he told me the spring rate i should buy and I went with his recommendations. The springs I had worked great fully loaded with gear and I was getting proper sag when loaded up for a long trip....guess I need to weigh my gear and start over now to get ready for our trips next summer.

Hodakaguy
And Then There Were Four - OR RR: CLICK HERE
My VW Syncro Westy Build Thread: CLICK HERE
Hodakaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 03:43 PM   #4849
Hodakaguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC1 View Post
Man, I am struggling with the heat issue. Part of the issue is of course that it has been HOT in Utah this summer....it's basically been 100 degrees everyday since June this year. Part of the problem - or maybe THE problem, is that I am a big guy...over 300lbs with full gear on.........so I think I probably put a *little* more demands on the cooling system than your average 165lb MX rider....

So far though, using the tricks from your build, it's gotten a LOT better.

I totally agree with you on the bigger tank issue. I like to use my rotopax carrier to bring water instead of having to carry it all in the camel back. I don't know how some of the guys are able to stay hydrated on the longer rides where I've filled up my camelback like 3 or 4 times to their 1.
Are your running the Thermostat in your bike? I run one in mine still but I've read where removing it does help quite a bit by giving more flow through the radiators. If your jetted properly and your having heating problems you might try removing the thermostat, installing the hard parts high flow pump and even running a set of aftermarket Fluidyne Radiators.

Are you running a catch can on the overflow tube from the radiator?

Hodakaguy

Old 09-08-2013, 04:50 PM   #4850
Beardoge
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 362
Okay I've gotten some real good opinions on tanks and luggage. Probably the last but probably the most important, what seats or seat pads are you guys using ?

The seat is so damn hard on this thing no way would I be able to ride days on end with this thing !
Beardoge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 05:06 PM   #4851
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Quote:
Are your running the Thermostat in your bike? I run one in mine still but I've read where removing it does help quite a bit by giving more flow through the radiators. If your jetted properly and your having heating problems you might try removing the thermostat, installing the hard parts high flow pump and even running a set of aftermarket Fluidyne Radiators.

Are you running a catch can on the overflow tube from the radiator?

Hodakaguy

Some grea ideas!
Some I've done, some I haven't.
TStat - yes. Seems to be working as it turns the fan on and off.
Jetting - running the JD kit - it seems a bit cold blooded however, so maybe a bit lean. Full desmogged and FMF Q4 Ti.
Waterless coolant - this really helps keep from boiling. Works awesome.
Stock radiators with a catch bottle plumbed to next to the air filter. (It had a couple times pumped coolant to the bottle)
Stock water pump.

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
Old 09-08-2013, 05:15 PM   #4852
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardoge View Post
Okay I've gotten some real good opinions on tanks and luggage. Probably the last but probably the most important, what seats or seat pads are you guys using ?

The seat is so damn hard on this thing no way would I be able to ride days on end with this thing !
There's a bunc. Renazco is popular, seat concepts. Even just adding some foam.

Try this one.

Old 09-08-2013, 05:22 PM   #4853
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,070
Quote:
Some grea ideas!
Jetting - running the JD kit - it seems a bit cold blooded however, so maybe a bit lean. Full desmogged and FMF Q4 Ti.
Stock radiators with a catch bottle plumbed to next to the air filter. (It had a couple times pumped coolant to the bottle)
Stock water pump.
From what Ive seen,even slightly lean jetting makes a good deal more heat. Ive ridden next to a friend on his EPA jetted(FI) 2012 500 EXCR and his bike was boiling water out on every climb on a hot day,my 530 is jetted on the rich side especially on the pilot jet, and mine didnt boil any water out.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:53 PM   #4854
Hodakaguy

Quote:
Some grea ideas!
Stock water pump.
Yep make sure your jetting is spot on or slightly on the rich side.

I think your referring to the Thermo Switch that controls the fan. You can also remove the engine thermostat completely which I've read helps improve cooling in hot climates. You can bypass the thermostat with a SAMCO hose kit (CLICK HERE) or a Blais Racing adaptor (CLICK HERE).

On the thermo switch look to see what temp your switch is (It's stamped on one of the flats where it screws in to the rad), they are available in a couple temp ranges... 95/90 (203F on /194 off) or 100/95 (212F on /203F off). I usually run the higher temp range just so the fan doesn't cycle as much but if your having heating issues you might want to run the lower switch so the fan kicks on earlier to help slow the temp climb.

Hodakaguy
Old 09-08-2013, 08:56 PM   #4855
Hodakaguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardoge View Post

I run the Enduro Engineering Standard/Standard and it's been really good, the edges are rounded and it's a ton more comfortable than the oem seat.

That said I would like to try a seat concepts seat....I talked to several people that really like them.

Hodakaguy
Old 09-08-2013, 09:05 PM   #4856
Hodakaguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
First day back on my 530 since I broke my thumb in June. Damn, I love this thing!

Nice pics

Hodakaguy
Old 09-08-2013, 09:58 PM   #4857
Honkey Cat
Tailights Fade!

Oddometer: 1,053
I called Jeff Slavens also, bought springs from him, has suspension revalved. What an amazing difference. I also had slavens send me some jets. Bike runs great from sea level to 13k feet.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:54 AM   #4858
pan
Braaaaaap!

Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honkey Cat View Post
I called Jeff Slavens also, bought springs from him, has suspension revalved. What an amazing difference. I also had slavens send me some jets. Bike runs great from sea level to 13k feet.
What jets do that? Mine is good for 5 to 8K, but higher up she's not so happy... Like the mini fairing; whose is it?
pan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:57 AM   #4859
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Quote:
Yep make sure your jetting is spot on or slightly on the rich side.

I think your referring to the Thermo Switch that controls the fan. You can also remove the engine thermostat completely which I've read helps improve cooling in hot climates. You can bypass the thermostat with a SAMCO hose kit (CLICK HERE) or a Blais Racing adaptor (CLICK HERE).

On the thermo switch look to see what temp your switch is (It's stamped on one of the flats where it screws in to the rad), they are available in a couple temp ranges... 95/90 (203F on /194 off) or 100/95 (212F on /203F off). I usually run the higher temp range just so the fan doesn't cycle as much but if your having heating issues you might want to run the lower switch so the fan kicks on earlier to help slow the temp climb.

Hodakaguy
Great guess HG I was mistakenly referring to the thermo switch. The thermostat is stock as well. Oops.....

I'm going to out at the rally in steamboat this week with the bike, so I'll see how she runs this weekend before I go any further. Is starting to cool off a bit now, so I'm hoping I won't be having anymore issues with it.

I seriously owe you a couple cold ones sometime man.... I really appreciate all your great advice!

Old 09-09-2013, 12:18 PM   #4860
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,070
Quote:
I run the Enduro Engineering Standard/Standard and it's been really good, the edges are rounded and it's a ton more comfortable than the oem seat.

That said I would like to try a seat concepts seat....I talked to several people that really like them.

Hodakaguy
Ive got the Tall EE seat on my 200XCW,I like the cush on rough trails where standing would get me cleaned off the bike.

The 530 has the suede Seat Concepts standard heidth seat,the suede cover makes friends feel inadequate when they see it.
I do like the traction of the suede cover though,I thought the standard heidth seat was too firm at first but it has turned out to be pretty comfy.
Either seat fits either bike,I like the modular KTM thinking.

Stock seat blows.