Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2010, 12:52 PM   #766
wrstu
n00b

Oddometer: 4
[quote=Rider_WV]hey guys, i want a new DS bike and I have a few simple questions about the 530's.

What is the average top end interval-hours/miles?
New valve/seats/guides intervals?
Does the subframe need beefed up(or a PMB rack) for a giant loop and light camping gear?
What weight rider is it sprung for?
For typical DS riding which tank will be most likely to give me a 150 mile range? Typical for me would be a mix of single track/double track and back roads.

I am 99% certain the 530 is the bike for me but these questions have been looming. I dont want to need a top end during a trip like the divide ride. SHould I get a Husa instead?

Thanks for any info and I look forward to drinking the orange koolaide soon

I have an '08 530 that has 425 hours and 17000km with original piston, rings, valves, etc. The only engine parts that I have had to replace are the cam chain tensioner and a few countershaft seals. I have a 13L Acerbis tank that is good for 250 KM+. I am 175 lbs and have not changed the spring rates BUT I just purchased an '09 530 XCW which has heavier springs and it is WAY better.
wrstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 01:09 PM   #767
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider_WV
I had to fight the urge to go to the local KTM shop saturday. I really want to hold out until i find a good deal on a low hour bike ...
The one advantage of not having a local KTM shop.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 01:21 PM   #768
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtJack
The one advantage of not having a local KTM shop.
My old dealer sucked, thats why i never picked up a KTM. The newer dealer is very nice and its even harder to go there because they sell Husaberg and just picked up GasGas as well. I have been lusting after an EC300 for years.

Again thanks for the Top end info.
Rider_WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 04:43 PM   #769
Brown Dog
North Georgia Dual Sportr

Oddometer: 1,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro
It works great. I've done some night riding with it, it's not a racelight but it is definitely adequate...
Do you think your Baja Designs H4 headlamp would be as bright as the Trail Tech X2 'Dual Sport' 35watt Lamp

My 80/80watt H4 bulb is plenty sufficient, in my stock 2008 690 Enduro headlamp / wiring assy

Does the STOCK doo doo headlamp burn with the key ON & engine OFF ??

I dont ride at night unless I dont make it home before dark too many deer around North Georgia

Sorry for all the questions, but I know you guys knows the answers

Brown Dog screwed with this post 11-08-2010 at 05:20 PM
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 06:00 AM   #770
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Dog
Do you think your Baja Designs H4 headlamp would be as bright as the Trail Tech X2 'Dual Sport' 35watt Lamp

My 80/80watt H4 bulb is plenty sufficient, in my stock 2008 690 Enduro headlamp / wiring assy

Does the STOCK doo doo headlamp burn with the key ON & engine OFF ??

I dont ride at night unless I dont make it home before dark too many deer around North Georgia

Sorry for all the questions, but I know you guys knows the answers
1) Probably not, but it's sufficient for getting out of wherever you are after dark. It's not a racelight, but it's effective and it was cheap.

2) No, it's AC, runs only on engine current, not DC from the battery.

I've recently seen where someone makes an H4 conversion for the stock headlight that seems to work well, so that might be another, even cheaper option.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 10:37 AM   #771
FlyingDutchman
Dirt Biker

Oddometer: 774
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrstu

I have an '08 530 that has 425 hours and 17000km with original piston, rings, valves, etc. The only engine parts that I have had to replace are the cam chain tensioner and a few countershaft seals. I have a 13L Acerbis tank that is good for 250 KM+. I am 175 lbs and have not changed the spring rates BUT I just purchased an '09 530 XCW which has heavier springs and it is WAY better.
425 hours Noob?!! I don't think so.

Yep, I thought stock was pretty good but then, I swapped in the heavier springs and the bike became much more stable. I still use full fork travel in the single track, so it must still be under sprung...er, ya that's it, just like my bathroom scale is undersprung

Anybody here fixed a a counter shaft seal leak near the gear shifter? I see the parts are cheap but is it an easy job?

FlyingDutchman screwed with this post 11-09-2010 at 03:14 PM
FlyingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 01:36 PM   #772
neduro OP
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman
Anybody here fixed a a counter shaft seal leak near the gear shifter? I see the parts are cheap but is it an easy job?
Super easy. Pull the countershaft sprocket, slide the spacer off behind it, change the O-ring on the inside and the seal that goes around the spacer on the outside, and reinstall spacer/ countershaft. Usually it's just the O-ring but for the $2 the seal costs, do both is my advice.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:46 AM   #773
stevodadevo
What happened?

Oddometer: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvestal
That place looks real familiar. Are you south of San Felipe, north of Puertecitos?

Love that place. Been going down there for 30 years (and I'm only 35!).

I plan on doing exactly what you did once I buy my 530.
stevodadevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:59 AM   #774
c.vestal
Rally On

Oddometer: 4,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevodadevo
That place looks real familiar. Are you south of San Felipe, north of Puertecitos?

Love that place. Been going down there for 30 years (and I'm only 35!).

I plan on doing exactly what you did once I buy my 530.
You nailed the location, I would expect that from a 30 year veteran of the lovely place.
c.vestal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 06:23 AM   #775
Brown Dog
North Georgia Dual Sportr

Oddometer: 1,907
Part # & Link to the KTM Harparts Water Pump upgrade mod :

Brown Dog screwed with this post 11-12-2010 at 06:44 PM
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 08:02 AM   #776
retired motoman
LifeIsShort,EnjoyTheRide!

Oddometer: 475
400 hours

Quote:
425 hours Noob?!! I don't think so.
Right at 400 hours, loosing power and starting to smoke. I am not saying I have not worked on the bike but never have had the top end apart.

I found a replacement 530 engine (with 59 miles) on eBay a year ago for $1500 so changed out. Will do a top end tear down soon and let you all know what I found.

200 of the hours are with a 2Moto kit installed for winter fun.
retired motoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 08:30 AM   #777
neduro OP
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired motoman
200 of the hours are with a 2Moto kit installed for winter fun.
If my experience on those was any measure, that's as abusive as engine use gets. I was pinned almost the entire time, wanting more.

Thanks for chiming in!

Old 11-13-2010, 10:07 AM   #778
DougA
In-flight missle repair

Oddometer: 19
Tight Kick start

I've been reading a lot of this thread and I've learned a lot about my new bike. However I feel like the kick start on my new 2009 530exc is really tight. It takes a lot of effort to kick it over and I never feel like I really get a good kick on it. This is my first KTM but for comparison I also have a 2004 CRF450r and the engine turns over much easier. When it's warmed up and in neutral I can start it with my hand. I've read the motor will loosen up over time, is this what I am experiencing?
DougA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 11:19 AM   #779
osteo
Motion is Life

Oddometer: 1,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougA
I've been reading a lot of this thread and I've learned a lot about my new bike. However I feel like the kick start on my new 2009 530exc is really tight. It takes a lot of effort to kick it over and I never feel like I really get a good kick on it. This is my first KTM but for comparison I also have a 2004 CRF450r and the engine turns over much easier. When it's warmed up and in neutral I can start it with my hand. I've read the motor will loosen up over time, is this what I am experiencing?
I thought that got fixed with the new Cam in the 2009's? Or maybe that was the 2010 motors... Someone will correct me.

A trick I learned from shane Watts was to hit the starter button when kicking the bike over. I'm sure plenty people already know this trick but when I was doing one of his courses and fried my battery and the temps were in the 30's (celcius) + humidity I couldn't get the bike started for the life of me.

there is a trick to timing the hitting the button, but once you've got it, it turns over like a breeze.

with the colder weather up here, my bike won't start with the button in the morning, but she'll fire right up with the first well timed button assisted kick!

D

Rally Connex Adventures
Off-Road Adventures
Make It Stick Media

Adventure Has No Destination

08' KTM 450 EXC - The Half Beast -
04' Yamaha TTR250 (for the wife)
osteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 12:53 PM   #780
Xmoto
Death Race

Oddometer: 2,107
Quote:
Wanna lay odds Xmoto never joins the club?

Eh Doc,

you'd you know that KLR...remember when it passed you on the 1st timed section at the Rockhound Rally.

But I suppose your tire wasn't put on properly that time too....

I'd suggest you offer him your 450 since you've given up at 50hrs, but he's lookin for a man's bike
Just brought it home