User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2008, 08:05 PM   #1
bart800 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Pissed Beware of Shell Rotella Triple Protection oil

Three weeks ago I changed my oil in my Honda PC 800. I switched to Shell Rotella, 15/40 after reading all the superlatives about this product. The price was right, so now my clutch is slipping. It turns out the Rotella I purchased was the new TRIPLE PROTECTION. This has those darn additives. I put on
about a thousand kms and noticed it was down about half a liter. This bike doesn't burn or leak oil. I was quite surprised to find this. I topped of the bike and did another couple of hundred kms and now the clutch is slipping under load at the 4000 to 5000 RPM range.

I will change the oil again and try the Rotella synthetic. Should I change the filter (1200kms) or will that be sufficent to just change the oil?
bart800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 08:11 PM   #2
swjohnsey
Banned

Oddometer: 3,568
Chances are it ain't the oil. Lotsa folks with lotsa different bike been using this oil for years.
swjohnsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 08:16 PM   #3
yanni23
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 655
The engine side and tranny side on my DS'd CRF450X are separated. I can run whatever in the engine side, including additives (MOLY), but not in the tranny side. It's a known fact that Moly will make your clutch slip. Other than that, run any kind of oil ya want.
yanni23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 08:39 PM   #4
bart800 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Not your regular T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swjohnsey
Chances are it ain't the oil. Lotsa folks with lotsa different bike been using this oil for years.
I agree, but this is some new protection blend with additives. It is not the same formulation as the regular T.

As far as the clutch goes, it is not consistant, needs load. Had not even shuddered prior to the oil change.

Question is do I replace the filter or is it OK to leave it?
bart800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 08:48 PM   #5
dtop1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by bart800
I agree, but this is some new protection blend with additives. It is not the same formulation as the regular T.

As far as the clutch goes, it is not consistant, needs load. Had not even shuddered prior to the oil change.

Question is do I replace the filter or is it OK to leave it?
I would remove the filter, drain the oil and reinstall it so that you get the maximum of new oil w/o the additives. Dan
Old 04-04-2008, 08:48 PM   #6
Stretch67
Bent, But Not Broken

Oddometer: 6,014
If the filter has a bit of the moly oil in it, why not change it also and start afresh?

That half pint or so may not be enough to cause problems when everything mixes, but then, oil filters aren't so expensive...
XR400 Index
Stretch67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 09:09 PM   #7
Motomantra
Registered Lurker

Oddometer: 1,235
Screw that SHELL shit. Stop following the sheep.
Run a dedicated motorcycle specific oil.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:15 PM   #8
G.Gordon
Nation of Frustration

Oddometer: 9,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomantra
Screw that SHELL shit. Stop following the sheep.
Run a dedicated motorcycle specific oil.

Dedicated motorcycle specific oil? WTF... it's just oil in a high priced container for folks that think there's a difference. Both of our bikes call for any oil that falls into the specifications in the maintenance manual. I can buy Rotella for $10/gallon... that's about $40/gallon if you buy that jacked up "sheep" oil at the dealers.

The soul attracts that which it secretly harbors;
that which it loves, and also that which it fears.

James Allen

G.Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 09:26 PM   #9
Pro_Marinero
Carbon Sasquatch

Oddometer: 2,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashstromer
Dedicated motorcycle specific oil? WTF... it's just oil in a high priced container for folks that think there's a difference. Both of our bikes call for any oil that falls into the specifications in the maintenance manual. I can buy Rotella for $10/gallon... that's about $40/gallon if you buy that jacked up "sheep" oil at the dealers.
+1. Good oil, used it for years with no problems. Motorcycle oil is packaged sucker fluid in my book. I prefer to spend my money on good 2-stroke oil if I'm going to actually look for a viable benefit.

I had the same problem when Mobil 1 switched out their good old "red cap" formula for a new one with additives. Had to change the clutch on my KLR, but it was due anyway.

This should get fired to the basement shortly.
Pro_Marinero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 09:42 PM   #10
showkey
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,865
Same concern with Rotella Synthetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart800
so now my clutch is slipping. It turns out the Rotella I purchased was the new TRIPLE PROTECTION. This has those darn additives. I put on
clutch is slipping under load at the 4000 to 5000 RPM range.

I will change the oil again and try the Rotella synthetic. Should I change the filter (1200kms) or will that be sufficent to just change the oil?
I had the exact same problem on a CX500 Turbo clutch slipping at high rpm on boost changed back to Castrol problem solved............Rotella maybe OK for a diesel truck........slipping is more common than you think with the Rottella...............the only good point of the stuff it's cheap. Sure this will bring out the oil flamers
showkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 09:52 PM   #11
Motomantra
Registered Lurker

Oddometer: 1,235
Okay Flash.
And tequila is just tequila...
Old 04-05-2008, 05:11 AM   #12
G.Gordon
Nation of Frustration

Oddometer: 9,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomantra
Okay Flash.
And tequila is just tequila...

Now you're just being foolish...

The soul attracts that which it secretly harbors;
that which it loves, and also that which it fears.

James Allen

G.Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 07:08 AM   #13
Roadwarrior
Taking The Long Way

Oddometer: 1,002
I can buy regular Castrol motorcycle oil for $3.99 per liter here in Canada (Where we get hosed on everything we buy. I use Mobil 1 Synthetic motorcycle oil at $9.99/ltr . Mobil 1 synthetic car oil is $6.99.

That means that on an oil change for my V-Strom I would save $9.00 using the car oil. Why would you chance it for $9.00? Unless you change your oil every two weeks. It's beyond me why people will pay $3.50 for a coffee at Starbucks, and then use an oil not recomended by the manufacturer to save $9.00, regardless of weather or not there are any problems.
Roadwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 08:17 AM   #14
PunkinHead
Moobless Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadwarrior
I can buy regular Castrol motorcycle oil for $3.99 per liter here in Canada (Where we get hosed on everything we buy. I use Mobil 1 Synthetic motorcycle oil at $9.99/ltr . Mobil 1 synthetic car oil is $6.99.

That means that on an oil change for my V-Strom I would save $9.00 using the car oil. Why would you chance it for $9.00?
If you pick an oil that has the right ingredients and ratings you aren't chancing anything - you're just being a smart consumer. I can get a gallon (3.8 liters) of Rotella-T for $9.80. That's $2.36 a liter and I'm not taking any "chances" because it meets the same ratings and has them same lack of clutch slipping friction modifiers as the oil with "Motorcycle" on the label.

Now, I understand that a lot of folks don't want to take the time to research the topic and they're willing to pay more than double for the luxury of remaining uneducated. That's fine - we can't all be up to speed on every subject and I'm sure there are plenty of things I buy that I could get cheaper if I put some effort into informing myself. It just happens that I'm an engineer that spent some time working in the test facility of a company that makes lubricant and fuel additives so it wasn't a big leap for me to educate myself about what oil I need in my bikes, so the idea of buying an oil without the word "Motorcycle" on the label doesn't worry me.

I can't believe I'm dumb enough to participate in an oil thread...
PunkinHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 08:23 AM   #15
Hootowl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,244
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkinHead
I can't believe I'm dumb enough to participate in an oil thread...
ROFL!!

'07 990A
Parting '98 1100GS. Need Anything?
Hootowl is online now   Reply With Quote