Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2008, 01:18 PM   #31
Mini Trail OP
nb

Oddometer: 2,217
I have been on the internet doing research. The head and cylinder are discontinued, as are oversized pistons. I finally decided to buy a Chinese cylinder from ebay, but they pulled the listing right before I could order it and never answered my inquiries. Seeing that it was going to take a while to get the top end done, I convinced myself to split the cases.

This is the extent of the contamination. At this point I could go either way on whether splitting the cases was necessary, but at least it gives me something to work on at night.

I took the cylinder to Fletchers and had him measure it for a piston. I bought a 1.0 oversize piston from ebay and rings and gaskets from hondapartsdirect.com. I also purchased a used head from ebay that was in better shape than mine. I cleaned it up and lapped the valves. I may still let Fletcher talk me into doing the original head, but it is another $90 I wasnt planning on spending.

The bottom end goes back together smoothly while I wait on the parts. The kickstart shaft is no longer available. There are some used ones on ebay, but they are too pricey. I am going to have to put the same patched one back in.

Here is the inside of the oil slinger. I scraped the sludge off of the ring for photographic purposes.

Here is the head I bought from ebay. I ran it through my tabletop media blaster and the parts washer and it cleaned up nice. I lapped the valves, but I need to make a tool to install the valves and springs. The one I use on 50 and 70cc heads is not big enough.

Old 04-29-2008, 01:30 PM   #32
Mini Trail OP
nb

Is this a ride report or a parts cleaning report.

April, 26 2008

Last weekend was perfect. For mowing. I figured I would get in some riding Sunday, but my wife had other plans. The crawfish festival did have its perks, though.

But it seemed like every bike in the Memphis area was out except mine.

At least someone is getting some use out of my new bike.

I did lament, so my wife shouldnt be surprised that I was planning to ride Saturday. One would think that anyway. I rode a lot of highway to get back to the Mississippi portion of the tat. I have been here before so I didn't take many pictures. I rode to Walnut, MS via the trail and bought gas. I did my best to keep a low profile since my temporary tag was expired and I spotted this train wreck of a diner/roadside stand. Im pretty sure it wasnt open, but Im not real sure how to tell. I guess if the driveway is mowed it is open?

Between the Camel Bak and vibration, I am geting about 40 miles between pee breaks. This trail was off of the road, wasnt posted and was very wide. It didnt look like anyone had been using it recently. I may try to explore it a little in the future.

This is the Tubby Bottom water crossing made famous by Trans America Trail ride reports. There were a bunch of people fishing there when I went through earlier. I asked if it was deep today and they just stared at me as if I had antlers so I rode on through. The road East of Tubby was washed really bad by all the rain and was pretty slimy.

I dont know what happened to this cuddly little fellow, but I am sure he is happier in hell.

It was only about shin deep. I have never seen it real deep like in the ride reports.

I had seen this plane on another ride and thought it could be a DC-3. I stopped to take a picture and confirmed that it is not. This field is not marked on my maps as an airport. I guess it is someones hobby field. It is just a few miles from my house.

When I was putting the camera away. I heard something behind me and thought it was a car and would just go on by, but it sounded strange. I looked and it was two dirt bikes with geared up riders. One of them even has a Camel Bak. To say I was surprised is a real understatement. While I sat there with my jaw open, 4 guys on four wheelers joined them. They assembled in front of me waived me to join them, started up and took off.

We rode through some fields for a while and crossed some pretty knarly ditches. They took the road back to a house just up from where I stopped where they had staged. I still don't know if we met at the bottom of that hill by coincidence or if they started after me after I rode by. I was mesmerized by the smell of the two strokes. The Klotz oil they burn smells very sweet.

Jaun Carlos was riding the CR 125. He gave me a much appreciated Budwiser.

This guy's name was Frie or something. He and Juan spoke the same language which did not sound Spanish. When we were riding I thought they were kids or teens because of their small stature and all the gear.

The quad guys were shocked that I had a plate on the KTM. (I wish they were as interested in the Helmet.) They couldn't believe I had already ridden 150 miles that day. I couldn't believe I was able to keep up with those guys with a trashed P-12, 3 gallon tank, tools etc. on the KTM. I am really glad I picked the 450 over a bigger bike, but my ass punished me for at least two days. I am going to have to get one of those donuts to sit on if I continue to do 160 mile days. The 450 Honda quad locked up. I told them to check the cam chain, but they were convinced it was seized.

When my wife saw this picture, she insisted I get some gear so I wouldn't look like a hillbilly anymore.

Old 04-29-2008, 03:11 PM   #33
SimpleSimon
Aspiring advrider

Oddometer: 3,389
Thumb

Great report! I'm working on a CB175 right now so your 100 has me interested. Pics of the media blaster and tank setup.

"Assembled Spectator Scoring With Incriminating Photographic Evidence" or A.S.S.W.I.P.E. - Granparacer
SimpleSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 03:52 PM   #34
IDScarecrow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,323
I am enjoying your report - keep it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini Trail

When my wife saw this picture, she insisted I get some gear so I wouldn't look like a hillbilly anymore.

Score!

IDScarecrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 04:19 PM   #35
daGeeeze
Geeezed lightning

Oddometer: 2,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini Trail
I did not re-fill the tank when I got back.
  • I am disappointed in the top speed. I used to ride this to work from time to time and kept up with and even passed traffic on the two lane highways so I assumed it was pulling at least 60mph. The GPS is confirming that it will do just over 62, but it is really buzzing at that speed. I dont remember having much trouble on the trip I took a few years ago keeping up or feeling like it is coming apart running wide open for miles on the highway like it seems to now. I have always felt like it is under-geared and planned to gear up for the trip, at least the TN Section.
You're bringing back SOOOO many memories for me. I bought my first new bike; a 1971 Honda CB 100 in the fall of 1970. It was geared a little different so I could peak at 72 mph. Yours might need its tiny little valves adjusted. Also tightening one side at a time on that exhaust flange will usually cock it some and it'll still leak and of course pop loose again. That affects performance a surprising amount. I got anal about switching back and forth on those two nuts.

Your oil leak on top of the head is from that large nut which is just the cover for the valve adjustment. You can get new O-rings for it easily to stop the leak when you're in there adjusting the valves.

I remember riding for days and days between fillups growing up. With my higher street gearing I couldn't climb hills. I yanked the baffle to get more torque and it overheated regularly so that was a bad idea. Dang I had great times on that bike.

I'll have to read this to see how you did. When I owned mine I was just getting past 100 lbs. At 200 now I don't think the bike would be nearly as much fun.

Oh yeah, note that there are two wires to your ignition switch. You can unplug them from the back and they'll plug together so you don't really need the key. (Dad took my keys when my grades got bad.)
Old 04-29-2008, 05:45 PM   #36
daGeeeze
Geeezed lightning

Oddometer: 2,000
I'm a slow reader. Finished this and had to laugh at that piston. I dropped a valve on my CB 100 once and fixed it. The next ride I lost power. Not knowing what was going on I realized that pulling the choke up kept me going and I rode it home. When I took it apart I had that same hole. Clearly when I dropped the valve it had cracked the piston which then melted through.

The first winter I owned it I rode it down into my dad's basement and took apart every last nut, bolt, screw, and washer on that engine. I filed and cleaned and sanded with emory cloth. Ran like a top after that.

I hope you get it going again and you and your dad get to do that ride.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:07 PM   #37
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 5,157

You don't need much oil to make it look like a huge leak/mess. It looked like it was blowing out of the gap in the pipe. (through your new hole in the cylinder.) The small gap in the pipe allows the oil to collect and then get blown all over from there.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:43 AM   #38
Happnin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
Now we're talkin'!

Happnin screwed with this post 04-30-2008 at 02:28 PM
Happnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 02:45 PM   #39
D-Mac
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 613
I don't have the mechanical knowledge to offer you any advice but your creative use of bungee cords, enthusiasm at tearing open the engine, and willingness to photos of the whole ordeal makes this a 5-star ride report in my book! Oh yeah - and the photos of the trips are cool too.

I'm loving this report!! Proves that the best bike for a trip is the one you have and you don't have to ride to South America to have an adventure! Although the KTM is cool, the 100 sure can't be beat for character!

Ride on!!
D-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 03:44 PM   #40
Mini Trail OP
nb

Quote:
Originally Posted by daGeeeze
Oh yeah, note that there are two wires to your ignition switch. You can unplug them from the back and they'll plug together so you don't really need the key. (Dad took my keys when my grades got bad.)
Funny story there. My wife and I used to go to Mardi Gras every year until the flood and once around 1999 or so I decided that we should go to Bike Week while we were down there. I stashed the other CL100 in the back of the truck, and after Mardi Gras we drove to Florida and camped out for a couple of days. We had a great time riding the strip double up on the little CL and everyone had a million questions and stories for us. If you want attention at Bike Week, don't take a Harley. It is hard to imagine how many motorcycles are there until you have seen it.

Leaving the campground, the bike just died right on Speedway blvd and of course I am mortified and embarased. The problem turned out to be that one of the wires had fallen off the switch. I tucked it into the other wire like you described and we continued on.

We didn't know how the whole thing worked so we went to Main street Saturday afternon and found a parking spot right across the street from (I think) the Crazy Horse Saloon.

I didn't realise it at the time, but these parking spots are like beach front property. So we left the bike and walked all afternoon drinking and eating and looking at all of the stupid make-shift leather and tatoo shops, but my wife wanted to get back to the campsite before it got dark.

When we got back, the place was packed. Main street was a loud parking lot moving at 3mph. There were people on the sidewalks with video cameras and taxis full of skanked-out strumpets unloading to party with the bikers. As we got our gear on a couple on a bike spotted us and started positioning their bike to take our spot.

My wife got on the back, I turned on the key and there was no neutral light. I suddenly remembered the twisted wires and the curse of the Honda electrical system that will not run without a battery. I had run the battery down to zero and there is no way you can kick or push it to life without a little life from the battery.

Of course I tried. I kicked until I was sweaty and noticed that half of the Main street Parade was blocked by the bike waiting to get our spot. I had to back it out on the sidewalk in order to get out of our spot then I had to push that bastard all over downtown Daytona in utter shame looking for a jump. There was life all around us, millions of motorcycles parking lots full of cars, but no one could be bothered for cables. We ended up getting a jump from a forklift battery charger at the Convention Center.

Mini Trail screwed with this post 04-30-2008 at 09:04 PM
Mini Trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 09:01 PM   #41
Mini Trail OP
nb

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleSimon
Great report! I'm working on a CB175 right now so your 100 has me interested. Pics of the media blaster and tank setup.

Abu Ghrage started as a 12x16' shed before the 16x24' addition. the old section has the big tools and the main workbench.

The other side contains the necessary evils.

OK that picture sucks, but there is a big Snapper mower and a tiller somewhere in there.

My dad bought that parts washer about 25 years ago when we were working on Volkswagon Karman Ghias. I picked up that media blaster at one of those traveling tool sales (Homier?) It is Harbor freight quality and cost me around $75 at a time when that would have been more than 10 hours of work.

It uses a venturi style gun that sucks up the glass through a stiff hose.

It does barely work, but it leaks glass from every corner.

The blast cabinet has gone a long way in several rebuilds. Probably enough to justify buying a decent one. Here's how I prepped the head before putting it in the cabinet.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:17 PM   #42
Mini Trail OP
nb

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Mac
I don't have the mechanical knowledge to offer you any advice but your creative use of bungee cords, enthusiasm at tearing open the engine, and willingness to photos of the whole ordeal makes this a 5-star ride report in my book! Oh yeah - and the photos of the trips are cool too.

I'm loving this report!! Proves that the best bike for a trip is the one you have and you don't have to ride to South America to have an adventure! Although the KTM is cool, the 100 sure can't be beat for character!

Ride on!!
My tearing into the engine is a result of my neglect by not pulling the engine to fix that exhaust stud.

I appreciate your kind words. I was worried that this was getting a little long on non-riding activities. It was fun to be doing something with the barely tolerable weather.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:55 PM   #43
Spicy McHaggis
Darth Peach's cracker...

Oddometer: 3,791
Thumb

Great ride report(s)!!!
Old 05-01-2008, 05:50 AM   #44
Mark_S
Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer: 1,751
I have really enjoyed reading this report.

The little Honda makes it special

thanks

Mark
Old 05-01-2008, 09:02 PM   #45
Motojournalism
motojournalism.com

Oddometer: 1,630
fun report! gotta like the title

Way Out West - Canada to the Darien Gap
Follow me on Twitter
Motojournalism is offline   Reply With Quote