ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-16-2014, 02:53 PM   #1
LXnastynotch93 OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: USA East Coast
Oddometer: 25
The other day I was trying to get my bike started. It was hard starting for some reason and I drained the battery until the starter had no juice to turn the motor over. I put the battery on the trickle charger and charged it until the light turned green on the charger.

Now I went to start it again and it won't crank. The solenoid is clicking but nothing from the starter. I tested the battery reading at 12.41 volts. When the starter button is engaged the battery reads 12.15 volts. I tested the power terminal on the starter and it's receiving all 12.15 volts when grounded to the frame. I cleaned and used dielectric grease on both grounds on the frame near the airbox.

I took the starter gear cover off and saw that the starter turns freely in both directions and the teeth look good.

The interesting thing is that when I kick the bike over and depress the starter button at the same time, the starter spins like it's under power only with much less force like it's not recieving all of the power. I'm also having a hard time starting the bike with the kickstart.

So my question is:

Where is the starter grounded to? I think this is the bad apple.
LXnastynotch93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 02:58 PM   #2
NewYorkLuke
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Upstate NY
Oddometer: 302
Can you bypass the solenoid ? if there are two big posts sticking out of the solenoid you can try to cross them with a screw driver this bypasses the function of the solenoid lets the rest of the starter do its job.
__________________
2014 Ram 2500 3600mi 12 Impreza 110,000mi 12 Tiger Explorer 14,400 mi 09 Aprilia RXV 450 320 miles - Waiting for my Terra from Cali-
The sheep don't like the sheep dog until the wolf comes around
7161 days
NewYorkLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 03:05 PM   #3
LXnastynotch93 OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: USA East Coast
Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkLuke View Post
Can you bypass the solenoid ? if there are two big posts sticking out of the solenoid you can try to cross them with a screw driver this bypasses the function of the solenoid lets the rest of the starter do its job.
I can bypass the solenoid but the starter is getting voltage at the power terminal located on the starter so not sure that would help.
LXnastynotch93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 03:20 PM   #4
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer
 
mcma111's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: San Francisco,Ca.
Oddometer: 10,826
recently I had to replace the brush plate in my starter. the brushes were worn down and would stick and not make contact with the armature. I used a brush plate from a Honda XR650l. Got it on E-Bay for about $20.00

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Starter-KIT-...fc95cb&vxp=mtr
__________________
Steve in SF

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 03:25 PM   #5
bisbonian
Studly Adventurer
 
bisbonian's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Bisbee, AZ & Banamichi, Sonora
Oddometer: 974
12.4 volts is not a fully charged battery.

12.6 volts is the magic number. I'd take your battery in and get it tested.
__________________
My 2009 Alaska Adventure

bisbonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 08:22 PM   #6
LXnastynotch93 OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: USA East Coast
Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisbonian View Post
12.4 volts is not a fully charged battery.

12.6 volts is the magic number. I'd take your battery in and get it tested.
Ill have it tested. I did give it a jump from my lawn tractor and it didn't seem to help but who knows, my battery could have a dead cell.
LXnastynotch93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 01:19 AM   #7
kevsta
Adventurer
 
kevsta's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2014
Oddometer: 42
the starter is just grounded by it's body to earth isn't it?

I think if you put a straight 12v onto the starter terminal it should be firmly grounded, and either spin or not.

mine is also faulty, I suspect the starter (having jumped to the terminal with a heavy duty battery pack with the same results) but they are 370Euros new (about $500) from KTM and the mechanic there said to also look into the auto decompression mechanism before splurging out on a new one.
__________________
In the Orange corner - 2000 KTM 640 LC4e - stock for the moment
In the Green corner - 1985 KLR 600B - build thread
kevsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 12:31 PM   #8
LXnastynotch93 OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: USA East Coast
Oddometer: 25
I tested the relay and it tested okay. I think it's the battery. It's only sending 11.9 volts to the starter now and 12 at the battery so it might have a dead cell. I'm going to try to start it with a fresh battery and see how it goes. Might need to have that one tested.
LXnastynotch93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 06:08 AM   #9
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer
 
Kawidad's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Central Coast, Cal
Oddometer: 4,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by LXnastynotch93 View Post
I tested the relay and it tested okay. I think it's the battery. It's only sending 11.9 volts to the starter now and 12 at the battery so it might have a dead cell. I'm going to try to start it with a fresh battery and see how it goes. Might need to have that one tested.
Put the voltmeter onto the battery terminals and then with your third hand hit the starter button. Watch the meter, and if the voltage drops off, then you have a dead cell. If you have a dead cell and jump it with another battery and did not disconnect the bad battery, it will suck all of the voltage and can fool you into thinking you have a different problem.
__________________
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? - Juvenal
(Who watches the watchers)
Kawidad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 06:13 AM   #10
LXnastynotch93 OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: USA East Coast
Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawidad View Post
Put the voltmeter onto the battery terminals and then with your third hand hit the starter button. Watch the meter, and if the voltage drops off, then you have a dead cell. If you have a dead cell and jump it with another battery and did not disconnect the bad battery, it will suck all of the voltage and can fool you into thinking you have a different problem.
Yeah the voltage definitely drops when I hit the starter. I'm taking the battery to be tested today.
LXnastynotch93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 04:02 PM   #11
LXnastynotch93 OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: USA East Coast
Oddometer: 25
Put a brand new battery in it and it did the exact same thing: solenoid clicks and no start. Still getting only 11.9 volts at the starter with a brand new batter and reading 12.1 volts with the battery installed in the bike. I'm kind of stumped here
LXnastynotch93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 05:07 PM   #12
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper
 
gunnerbuck's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: N.V.I, B.C.
Oddometer: 3,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by LXnastynotch93 View Post
Put a brand new battery in it and it did the exact same thing: solenoid clicks and no start. Still getting only 11.9 volts at the starter with a brand new batter and reading 12.1 volts with the battery installed in the bike. I'm kind of stumped here
It was probably already suggested, but from what you have described you should be pulling the starter motor apart for cleaning and inspection...

this thread has a bit:http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=155071&page=3
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 05:28 PM   #13
LXnastynotch93 OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: USA East Coast
Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerbuck View Post
It was probably already suggested, but from what you have described you should be pulling the starter motor apart for cleaning and inspection...

this thread has a bit:http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=155071&page=3
New brushes will be here on Friday! Thanks for the help guys.
LXnastynotch93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:41 AM   #14
kevsta
Adventurer
 
kevsta's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2014
Oddometer: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by LXnastynotch93 View Post
New brushes will be here on Friday! Thanks for the help guys.
I did this to mine, brushes all good, commutator cleaned, still no difference.

its either the motor or the auto decompression system.
__________________
In the Orange corner - 2000 KTM 640 LC4e - stock for the moment
In the Green corner - 1985 KLR 600B - build thread
kevsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:53 AM   #15
LXnastynotch93 OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: USA East Coast
Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevsta View Post
I did this to mine, brushes all good, commutator cleaned, still no difference.

its either the motor or the auto decompression system.
Mine turned right over with the rebuilt starter. Im betting you have a auto decompress problem like you stated.
LXnastynotch93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014