User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2014, 11:39 AM   #1
*kartman* OP
GO Bacon GO !

Oddometer: 354
Kartmanīs 660 LC4 Rally Replica

So, then I'll start a thread about my new bike now Practically every day I take a look in the popular stock market searching for rally parts etc and this is where I found an offer for some 660 RR parts and contacted the seller if he may wants to sell the whole set So we wrote several mails, I got some photos, decided to make a partial ​​payment and last friday I 've picked up my new used 2004 660 RR It has German papers and there was an awful lot (!) of spare parts to it. Keep in mind the following picture of my trailer combination as there went in quite a few stuff ! ^^ Handover was at KTM in Mattighofen The seller came from Salzburg and kindly drove a bit into my direction, but there were indeed still about 625 km one way for me.

And there it is, engine removed due to a broken main bearing. However, there were a total of three engines to two defective from which one can I just reassemble one and a functioning factory motor with low kilometers, the 2006 replacement engine for Carlo de Gavardo from the Repsol team served at the Dakar. In addition to this are 2 complete tank sets and 3 panels. One of the panels has the number 76 of the Dakar 2007 - driver was Frederic Lepan This fairing is even made ​​of carbon and has internal pockets, eg for putting in a raincoat etc. I'll someday get the fairing repainted , but will preserve the upper part with the start number with clear coat :) Various parts are still sealed with Dakar starting numbers, I will try to clarify the exact history of all parts

There were also two sets of wheels extra, some with mousse Here and there the rims have taken a dent. As I want to powder coat them, I need a solution for getting the rims fixed, any ideas ?

The Sunday morning was spent in the garage, just a quick KTM coffee and pack out the stuff :) Absolute madness ... new strut , factory closed cartridge fork milled with CNC bridge , complete second stem with navigation instruments and a new wiring harness, only to metnion a few parts There were even two ERTF GPS device holders , but I already have a TT mount for my Garmin 278 which will find its place on the handlebars .

I mounted the engine and everything for a brief round up and down the road

I wanted to take my time for this project... will see if it happens For Albania Raid 2015 it should be done ;) The plan now is to check everything and use the best parts out of the collection to get a great bike assembled. This is going on at the additional new panel and ends with the almost new engine cover ^^ All hoses will be wraped and protected by spiral hoses, probably rebuilt the cockpit to MD roadbook etc... Rims will get powder coated black, then I already have a sets of black RFR footrests here ... need to install turn signals , Zeta hand guards, etc. Also, I 'll probably use a high fender and install the bottom fork plastics with decor and neoprene savers on the fork tubes. There will also be a wider brake lever footpeg as on my ī99 660 :)

One of the exhaust manifolds has a big dent, is there a trick how I can push this out ? Here and there some cosmetic needs to be made.
You have to be slightly crazy for as a purchase, that has nothing to do with rationality, but no matter
*kartman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 11:44 AM   #2
Blaise W
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 645
W!ow! What a find! Enjoy!
Blaise W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 11:54 AM   #3
ianofmcmillan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
The bike looks really good and what a great spares package! You showed commitment driving so far to collect.

Also like your garage, it looks very organised.
ianofmcmillan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 12:02 PM   #4
gnuttis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Damn is that a beauty or what!
gnuttis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 12:52 AM   #5
DaniGAS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Nice!!!!!
Any spare parts for sell??? (mask, low fender...)
DaniGAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 01:05 AM   #6
*kartman* OP
GO Bacon GO !

For the right price I could maybe sell some of the parts :) But I want to keep some of the spare parts form me, better to have it than to need it ^^

Gesendet von meinem iPhone mit Tapatalk
Old 04-22-2014, 07:26 AM   #7
canoli
human

Oddometer: 1,544
DONT SELL ANYTHING!! You know that the second you do, you'll realize that you needed it. Good story, great buy and good luck with the re-build.

Canoli
canoli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:27 AM   #8
makazica
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 736
Wow!

I envy you so much! In a good way....

If I was given to choose one bike in the history of Dakar to own the 660 would be the one.

I'm drooling so much now....

Anyway, please, for the community, take pics of everything, let us know what jetting is in the carb, suspension setting, everything!!

Enjoy it!

M.
makazica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 12:29 PM   #9
*kartman* OP
GO Bacon GO !

The stock jetting (I also reassembled the carb today) is 190 main jet, needle OBDVR 3rd clip from top, idling jet 52 2 turns open. I wonder about installing the throttle potentiometer or not ... the engine spare parts list says you shall leave it away ... but in the wiring diagram it is connected ?! Furthermore it doesnīt really clear the choke cable ... hmhm

450 / 690 RFR pegs mounted:

Old 04-23-2014, 12:29 PM   #10
*kartman* OP
GO Bacon GO !

Carburetor went in

I have some issues with my nav tower now :( Tried the new one with the MD Roadbook but I canīt fit the IMO due to the thick connectors, they donīt fit through the wholes :( Furhtermore I have no cables for the ICO and the Touratech remote doesnīt work for the MD Roadbook, does it ?

Plan B would be this Touratech Cockpit, but it will sit pretty steep and you canīt read the instruments so good ...

Old 04-23-2014, 04:04 PM   #11
TobyG
be happy :)

Oddometer: 510
You can use any IMO remote for the ICO and vice versa if you change connectors.
But you can't use the Touratech Remote for an MD Roadbook, as it uses single pole buttons, while you'd need 2 pole buttons for the MD roadbook.

It would be possible to make it work, but only by using a second board equipped with a few relays.
Not worth the trouble, if you asked me, better keep it simple.
TobyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:08 PM   #12
gen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 708
Take your time, don't sell anything yet. Enjoy! What a rare find.
DoD#1458 | GaijinRiders | 2010 KTM 690 Enduro
gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:53 PM   #13
*kartman* OP
GO Bacon GO !

But afiak I cannīt zero the ICO with the (stock) TT remote
For the MD Roadbook I got the original remote toggle switch, but I donīt like this thing ... Best solution would be a cnc manufactured remote with toggle switch and ico buttons like on the factory bikes. RNS Tony Schattat asks 200 Euro for them

Or use the TT stuff and cut the top of the black alloy plate to make it sit a bit flatter ?
Old 04-24-2014, 02:22 AM   #14
*kartman* OP
GO Bacon GO !

Does anybody have an idea where to buy a Touratech Nav Assistant ?
Old 04-24-2014, 12:47 PM   #15
*kartman* OP
GO Bacon GO !

Ok so I think I will go for the Touratech cockpit plate and try to find a Nav Assistant, as you see there are holes for it and also the remote got a toggle switch to set the course. The Garmin found itīs place on the handlebar. I like the big holding bracket in the cockpit, normally it should be for some ERTF / Sentinel stuff, but I will store light things like a medikit there ...

Cleaned the exhaust pipes with a copper brush.