Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Today, 04:46 PM   #1
horacemtb OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Help! 2008 KLR650 stumbles and dies with throttle

Hi, everyone!

I've got an issue with my klr Here is a small preface. I'm planning on a big trip soon so I decided to change the oil and oil filter today and also clean the air filter. My bike had been running greatly before that. After changing the oil and oil filter and cleaning the air filter I started the bike as usual and it was fine running at idle. But as I opened the throttle the engine started to stumble and then died. It just wouldn't run with the throttle opened and it made no difference whether my klr was in neutral or not.

So I messed something up. First it occured to me I must have overfilled it with oil (though I did everything according to the manual) and I drained a little bit of it. And the bike ran with no problems! I took it for a 50 mile ride, then got home, and just as I was parking it in the garage it started to do the same thing. It runs at idle but as I open the throttle the engine stumbles and dies.

P.S. I use a K&N air filter. I cleaned it with soap and water, sprayed some filter oil on it and put it back into the bike. But I think I might have used too much filter oil and the air filter might be clogged.. Is it possible?

I would appreciate your help...
horacemtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:02 PM   #2
wavygravy87
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Man, I dont know you may have done. First off, check your oil. I'm pretty sure that has nothing to do with it, but if its in the right range, its good. If you put an extra quart in, worst case is it will pump some into the airbox. Which you would see right away if you peeped down in there.

Sounds to me like your main jet has a piece of trash in it. Or maybe the slide has got too much sticky air filter oil on it and is sticking? Make sure the vent tubes running to the carb aren't pinched too. Never worked on a new gen KLR, but if it has a slide vent and it gets pinched it could cause problems.

You didn't remove a side cover, lid, or snorkel to the airbox did you? You let the filter dry completely after you washed it, right?

Keep me posted, and if you are in North AL swing by my place and we will fix her up