Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2010, 04:42 PM   #15091
Bake
adventurer

Oddometer: 10,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice_Rumble
Nice welds Bake. What will the price be for the Baja?
The Baja is $139. The Yukon combo is $199.

Bake screwed with this post 06-15-2010 at 06:59 PM
Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 08:08 PM   #15092
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ TOM
Quite the insight for someone who doesn't even own a WRR. I doubt Safari will have any layoffs due to the IMS tank! Looks like you might be off about $50 bucks on your price quote?
been around alot of bikes over the years to know what is needed fuel wise.
3 gallons is a great riding size for what is effectively a slightly heavy 250 dirtbike. sure 4.5g is great but most will be happy as a pig in shit w/ 3g.

so...
-ims retails most every tank at $275
-just gas tanks sell em for $244.99 w/ free shipping
(look here at a nice range sample including efi models)
http://www.justgastanks.com/store/in...roducts_id=303
-just gas tanks offers 5% adv discount = $232.75 (i'd take that bet anyday at vegas)
-it's not like this is rocket science.

i never said safari was going out of biz just saying price additional $200 needed for an additional .5g for the wrr is not gonna fly. the rest of their bike range offer tanks with 2+ gallons over the ims option and thus is worth the premium price.

take the dr for example
3 more gallons (8) than ims (5)= $300 premium
so $100 per gallon are carrying capacity.
it's worth it for a few people.
http://www.justgastanks.com/store/in...cPath=1_69_172

on the wrr it's $200 for .5g.
that make any sense to you?

now if ims is coming in at 4.5g bike tank like they say they are, some will want that range and jump on it. for others it's too big and too much liquid weight for a bike this size. as far as pricing ims might even charge the same $275 rate ($232.75) as the 3g because they cost diff is neglible and they're making say dr tanks at 5g for that price. now a 4.5g tank available at $200 less than a safari 3.5g tank is gonna put a nail in that models coffin.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350

eakins screwed with this post 06-15-2010 at 08:25 PM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 08:46 PM   #15093
Dirtnadvil
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 795
Eakins,
While most guys won't pay 200 dollars for .5 gallon, some guys may like the look better and the way the tank covers the side of the radiator. Just a thought.
Dirtnadvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 08:58 PM   #15094
gordo5
Roadkill

Oddometer: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by greer
Krabill,

In case you decide on DID, check the price at Rocky Mtn; it was about the best I could find and you pick your specific # of links. For the heck of it, I went with an RK XSO this time around, sure hope I don't regret that.

Sarah
I doubt you'll regret it. I'm sure there are other good chains out there but I've settled on using either DID or RK. I've used both without complaint. afaik, those are the two premium manufacturers.

They aren't the cheapest chain options, but you never regret buying quality. A year down the road you may curse a cheap chain but I can't imagine being out on a good ride and thinking, gee, I coulda saved a couple of bucks on this chain.

Edit: someone asked about o-ring vs x-ring.

I'll assume you know what an o-ring is, a round, circular piece of rubber. Basically, compared to a regular o-ring, an x-ring is more like a rubber washer with a pair of ridges running along its inside and outside circumferances. This makes it better at sealing grease in and dirt out. Do a google images search and you can probably find some pics. I've also seen whats been called a W-ring. I don't know if that means it has a 3rd ridge on one side or if it's just a bit of marketing jazz.

gordo5 screwed with this post 06-15-2010 at 09:14 PM
gordo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 09:46 PM   #15095
gordo5
Roadkill

Oddometer: 538
I think eakins makes a strong argument, I agree with him. For a lot of us, an extra 3 or 3 1/2 liters would plenty. It looks like they're going to keep it small looking, like they promised from the start but yes, it remains to be seen how close they get to 3 gallons.

I don't think anyone is trying to slag the Safari tank. They were first at bat and they've served a lot of people well, but they ain't cheap.

Can't dispute the rad protection from the Safari either, but for the $$ this IMS tank is the only one on my radar.

btw, someone else mentioned the idea of a translucent version. If I were getting a tank that lost the shrouds I wouldn't blink, I'd go translucent. But for this tank, it's pointless. The seat and shrouds cover too much of it for it to be of much use. Pretty much guarantee most of the ones sold will be black since the edges of the shroud and seat that meet it are black as well.
gordo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 06:39 AM   #15096
dvwalker
Working to ride

Oddometer: 733
+1 on the IMS tank, looking great.

Eakins forumla makes good common sense, but when folks are when comparing to Safari need to also factor in extra $$ for "improved" rad side protection; force +$100. My safari has saved my radiator a couple times now. Do not know price of replacement rad but I bet they're not cheap, not to mention price of having to go home early from a ride. just saying...
dvwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 06:44 AM   #15097
MiamiMotorcyclist
used to be -MiamiUly

Oddometer: 1,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvwalker
+1 on the IMS tank, looking great.

Eakins forumla makes good common sense, but when folks are when comparing to Safari need to also factor in extra $$ for "improved" rad side protection; force +$100. My safari has saved my radiator a couple times now. Do not know price of replacement rad but I bet they're not cheap, not to mention price of having to go home early from a ride. just saying...
Yep.

I may end up liking the look of the IMS and could probably get by on 3 gal vs my safari's 3+ BUT, the safari has definitely saved my rad once and allowed me to ride home.

Even a rad guard may not have saved it. From what I've seen posted previously the guards can damage the rad on side impacts.

I'll probably just keep the safari but it will be nice to have an option if I ever want or need to change it out.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:05 AM   #15098
Buzzbomber
Not Dr. Who...

Oddometer: 1,226
Sheesh, $100 for a rad guard?! How about $45 for a Flatland radiator guard, add the $230+ish for the IMS tank eakins guesses, and shipping and you're still under $300. I can tell you right now I'd go that way before the Safari for my needs. Just my 2.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:02 AM   #15099
Chadx
Off the road again..

Oddometer: 2,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiMotorcyclist
Even a rad guard may not have saved it. From what I've seen posted previously the guards can damage the rad on side impacts.
To clarify, it's not the radiator guard that can deform the radiator on side impacts, it's the stock shroud mounts. Unfortunately, none of the radiator guards that I've seen ($45 to $100+ ), stop this from happening. The stock plastic side shrouds attach directly to the radiator so if you get a properly placed side impact, the shroud tabs drive into the radiator and deform it. The discussed band-aid for this is to zip tie the shroud to the radiator rather than bolt it. The theory being the zip ties will break (bring extra!) before the radiator deforms.

Radiator guards wouldn't take the side impact until the shroud tabs are driven inward enough that the shroud touches the radiator guard. From my perpective, radiator guards really only protect from front impacts, though on a crazy hard side impact, that will probably deform your radiator (and weaken it?) anyway, a guard might still let you ride home. My preference is to not deform my radiator at all. Too late, though, since my radiator guard didn't stop the deformation from some minor side imacts. Everyone might want to check yours.

For me, the protection provided by the wings on the Safari tank (and reportedly, on the future larger 4+ gallon IMS tank) are a integral part of the decision process on upgrading from the stock tank. For me, that decision process entails a more than just a simple "doller per fuel tanks capacity" ratio. The afforded protection, by a tanks wings, weighs in at about 40% of my justification.

Note the deformation done even with a "radiator guard" in place.
Chadx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:21 AM   #15100
debaisley
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,423
my solution for that problem , is to use thin zip ties instead of the bolts for the right shroud , the zip ties should break before the radiator can be bashed in.
debaisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:39 AM   #15101
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,505
If you never fall over don't read any farther I seem to visit the ground quite often. On our ride last week this pricey tank saved me a few bucks?
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

A few weeks ago I started looking at the skid plate that came on my bike, A Utah plate & decided I wanted more protection, so got a Flatland. Darned if it didn't save water pump housing on last weeks ride.
[IMG][/IMG]
In no way am I reccomending these products, just an observation from an old guy that occationally falls over but is still able to ride out & home?
AZ TOM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:45 AM   #15102
simmons1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadx

For me, the protection provided by the wings on the Safari tank (and reportedly, on the future larger 4+ gallon IMS tank) are a integral part of the decision process on upgrading from the stock tank. For me, that decision process entails a more than just a simple "doller per fuel tanks capacity" ratio. The afforded protection, by a tanks wings, weighs in at about 40% of my justification.

Note the deformation done even with a "radiator guard" in place.
I agree completely. KLR's have the same issue. Typically on a KLR when this happens on the left side the fan gets bound up, and the first time the fan comes on it gets ruined. You can't just buy a new fan blade, Kawi only sells the whole fan assembly.

I have the IMS Super Tanker (7gallon) tank with integral wings on my KLR and in the 27K miles I have put on it is been dropped hard on both sides more than I can count without incurring any damage to the parts under the wings. The Safari and upcoming 4.5 IMS should provide the same protection on the WR.

When it is real rough I just run less gas in the tank to keep the weight down.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:50 AM   #15103
MiamiMotorcyclist
used to be -MiamiUly

Oddometer: 1,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzbomber
Sheesh, $100 for a rad guard?! How about $45 for a Flatland radiator guard, add the $230+ish for the IMS tank eakins guesses, and shipping and you're still under $300. I can tell you right now I'd go that way before the Safari for my needs. Just my 2.
I've had the safari for a long time now and been enjoying it.

Was just talking about if I wanted or needed to replace it or if I liked the close to stock look enough to buy an IMS that I would worry about the rad, even with a guard.
The post above by chadx shows why.

I know from experience that the safari provides a lot of protection.

Posted these before but-

and after a half assed sanding and polishing job while I was injured and bored. I could do better.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:45 AM   #15104
mnormand
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by debaisley
shares the same rear sprocket as the YZ 250/400/426/450 , WR250/400/426/450 , but you will need new sprocket bolts because they use the countersunk bolts.

for the front its the same as the WR250f and Yz250f only.

Not true with the PD I just rec'd and mounted...

Primary Drive Rear Steel Sprocket 48 Tooth - 2008 Yamaha WR250R
$19.99
$19.99

It has both countersunk -and- flush mount holes. Use either.
mnormand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 11:15 AM   #15105
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer: 2,198
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdaddy
CA. based WR250R crew.......I suggest you STRONGLY consider trying to make this ride in July:

http://www.sotsnf.org/pdf/2Day_DualSportRide_flyer.pdf

Great riding coupled with a great cause with a great group of guys (O.C. Dualies - I've been a member for the last 8 years).......I love riding in the Bass Lake area and I'm going to try and figure out a way to make it even though my vacation days are limited......

Trip report from my visit last Summer along with a few other links embedded.......Bass Lake is an AWESOME area to ride and many trails are now threatened/ear marked for closure:

http://www.dualsport-sd.com/forums/i...showtopic=5070
Another reminder to the CA. crew - this ride will be a blast......sign up if you haven't already done so......

The boys were out with the chain saws prepping the trails last weekend......some stream crossings will be DEEP this year (thanks to 150% of normal snowfall)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxtF3Fh-Xh8
http://www.WhereAmIRiding.com
Crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote