Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2008, 08:24 PM   #1516
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,959
Some of you guys are farkling these little babies as well as some of the GoldWings out there!

Here's a little tip to keep an eye on your power usage when you are running a lot of stuff on your limited bike alternator. Get a little DC voltmeter and mount it in a visible place on the bike. I stuck one on the inner fairings on several bikes including a Tiger, DRZ400, KTM990S, and my Aprilia RXV550 and plan on doing it to the Rē as well, since I have it wired for GPS and heated Gerbings gear.

By simply watching the volts you can see if you are overrunning the battery/alternator combo. With basic bike loads the voltage should be 13 to 14Volts DC to keep the battery charged. If when loading it down with electric clothing (the biggest user) and heated grips you start to see the voltage dip below 13volts, down into 12V and less territory, that means your charging system is not keeping up with the load and not charging the battery. That will gradually drain the battery and all of a sudden you'll wish you had a kick starter... It's also a good way to see if your charging system fails, giving you time to "ride on the battery" if needed. EFI systems especially.

As for the little DC voltmeters, here's a handy, easy to wire unit I usually use.

This one has a simple 2-wire hookup and drill a little 1/4" hole to mount, $27

http://www.lascarelectronics.com/tem...datalogger=116

I do recommend taking them apart (easy) and carefully sealing them better with silicone rubber or similar, to make them more splashproof. Great little units for the price, and rugged, as long as you don't fill them with water. I've had units go thousands of miles on offroad bikes and 80,000+ miles on a street bike, all wether, no problems.

There are fancier, waterproof units out there, even from Lascar, but more $$ of course.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 04:10 AM   #1517
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,629
Thanks Thumper & Cyborg! Fantastic info. Now, if I can just decide where & how I want to mount my plugs & switches....

HF
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 04:13 AM   #1518
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabill
Re the flapper thingy . . . HF - I thought you told me you had to put it in gear on your stand to watch it work? Maybe just revving it in neutral does nothing? Just a thought . . .
You're right...I did. Shifted thru all the gears. Don't recall what it was doing in Neutral. Not sure I even checked that.

HF
Old 12-12-2008, 06:08 AM   #1519
MiamiMotorcyclist
used to be -MiamiUly

Oddometer: 1,857
A battery tender couldn't hurt with all that stuff hooked up.

I ALWAYS use one anyway, I like knowing that my batt is topped off regularly, and they last a looong time with a tender.
Old 12-12-2008, 06:23 AM   #1520
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiMotorcyclist
A battery tender couldn't hurt with all that stuff hooked up.

I ALWAYS use one anyway, I like knowing that my batt is topped off regularly, and they last a looong time with a tender.
Yes--a battery tender is a good thing to have--especially if a bike sits for a long time. I rarely use mine as my bikes get ridden so much.

But---unless you leave your bike sit for an extended period---I don't think there is any need to worry about adding electrical accessories to this bike.

It has more useable wattage than my KLR or my Husky TE610---either of which I can run plenty of electrical stuff.

Yesterday I rode my bike in freezing temps most of the day running a heated vest, arm chaps, and gloves----and even tho I installed a headlight switch to turn off my headlight if I like..........I intentionally left it on all day and the voltmeter on my gps read over 13 volts all day---with lots of starts.

One tipover proved the tipover switch works

My Speedo is 7 mph off----but my gps is closer and easier to see--it's usually what I look at anyway.

By the way----that is the coolest thing that yamaha made the headlight to stay off until the bike starts---that would be a good thing for any bike. I always start my KLR with the headlight off in cold weather or if it has sat a while.
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.

BigDogAdventures screwed with this post 12-12-2008 at 06:31 AM
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 06:36 AM   #1521
MiamiMotorcyclist
used to be -MiamiUly

Oddometer: 1,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com
Yes--a battery tender is a good thing to have--especially if a bike sits for a long time. I rarely use mine as my bikes get ridden so much.

But---unless you leave your bike sit for an extended period---I don't think there is any need to worry about adding electrical accessories to this bike.

It has more useable wattage than my KLR or my Husky TE610---either of which I can run plenty of electrical stuff.

Yesterday I rode my bike in freezing temps most of the day running a heated vest, arm chaps, and gloves----and even tho I installed a headlight switch to turn off my headlight if I like..........I intentionally left it on all day and the voltmeter on my gps read over 13 volts all day---with lots of starts.

One tipover proved the tipover switch works

My Speedo is 7 mph off----but my gps is closer and easier to see--it's usually what I look at anyway.
I don't think you have to worry about it either but I even use my tender when the bike doesn't sit for long. I figure it can't hurt.

I really think they have to build the error into the speedos, or else it is a tradition that has stuck.

The percentage makes them pretty accurate at slower speeds but optimistic up higher.

The fact that STOCK, the odometer is accurate while the speedo is off a bit makes this seem even more likely. (the computer knows how fast you are going but displays a little higher.)
Changing tires or gearing of course is a different matter.

Even speedo healer tells you that correcting your MPH will make your already accurate Odometer less accurate.

That is why I never installed mine on my zx10r, rather have the ODO accurate. I kept the healer in case I change gearing though.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:10 AM   #1522
trashed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Power

OK Guys your killing me!!!

I have to agree with BD on the fact that out of the box this bike is AWSOME! I'm sitting here chomping at the bit waiting on my new sprocket and chain. If this does what I want it to do, then I may end up leaving well enough alone.

A few weeks ago I was on the highway and got this little devil up too 94 mph. Now.. I weigh in at 265 lbs. That is REALLY good for a 250 cc motorcycle. A matter of fact, I think it's almost unbelievable. Now, when I get in the hills I would like a little more go. I live in the Texas Hill Country and we have BIG hills.

If this new gearing works, then all is good and I will spend my money on some dirt bagz and other things like handlebars and a gel insert for the seat.

But again, this bike is truly amazing for a 250cc bike. And if anybody cares or not this thing will whip a Ninja 250 in the quarter mile. and whip it good for that matter!
trashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 11:54 AM   #1523
DaymienRules
Traffic target

Oddometer: 197
Turbo City is getting my bike first thing Monday morning. The first racks could possibly be ready to go as early as 4 weeks.
DaymienRules is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 02:20 PM   #1524
BluePill
AARP Slacker

Oddometer: 4,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teep
I picked up a new 2008 WR250R on Wednesday, I put 115 miles on it so far. I've ordered a ThumperTalk skid plate and set of Zeta handguards with the built-in flashers. I didn't like the way the stock turn signals bounce around. Break-in is going to be tough keeping it under control (actually me as I really want to give the throttle a good twist).

Thanks to everyone here for all the great post. Hope to see some of you on the road sometime.

Garry
Question: are the lights in the handguards LED or regular incandescent bulbs. If LED, I was thinking of making them "strobe" at all times for better visability.
BluePill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 02:25 PM   #1525
scottmac
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluePill
Question: are the lights in the handguards LED or regular incandescent bulbs. If LED, I was thinking of making them "strobe" at all times for better visability.
The Zeta Armor handguard lights are LED's. Stock wiring
for the front blinkers has three wires. Flasher, Running
Light (on continuously) and ground.

The Zetas come with two wires, Flasher and ground only.
scottmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 03:57 PM   #1526
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Lassie Came Home!

Look what FINALLY arrived today....after 11 weeks of backorder. The long lost prodigal part:

Yeah...its nice, really nice. Worth a closer looksee, don't you think?

Now I finally have a matching pair!

Ooooo....something else showed up today:

Oh...its SO on!

You got to admit, that slogan on the box sure looks promising....

HF
Old 12-12-2008, 06:13 PM   #1527
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,699
Adding Goodies

My heated grips came in today and I got them on and wired up--along with the gps power.
These are the "Hot Grip" brand model #475-875 which are for 7/8" bars and are 4 3/4" long. This is the same grip I have on my other 3 bikes.
They are available here:
http://www.hotgrips.com/
If you ever buy any from them be sure and order their epoxy----ordinary quick set epoxy won't hold up.
Also notice how the ends of the heated grips are open---I ordered them this way as I will added Cycro Pro-Bend handguards later on.

I loves these fat suckers. I also ordered an inline fuse kit.

I think I said on a previous post---but I wired my grips and my gps into the headlight circuit-----I found the hot wire that goes to the High Low Beam switch and tied into it right behind the headlight. There are plenty of amps left on this circuit and my headlight doesn't dim at all when I turn the grips on.
Don't tie in after the switch---then all the load will be on the switch. I think it was a gray wire ???----not sure tho.
It is only hot when the bike is running-----so it won't run my battery down if I leave the grips on---and my gps won't run the battery down either. The 276C with it's rechargeable battery can run a battery flat in a few days---been there done that.

I brought 2 ordinary flat 2 prong trailer plugs up behind the dash and plug my gps and my grips into them. You can see them here----the vertical one goes to my gps and the horizontal one goes to the heated grips.

I am putting on Cycra Pro-bend hand guards also---so the end of the plastic throttle tube had to be cut off as I ended up moving the throttle, switchbear and brake lever in about 1/2" so the new heated grip wasn't hanging off the end of the handlebar too much.
This required relocating the 2 holes drilled in the handlebar to keep the throttle and switch gear from rotating.

I fabricated this aluminum plate and mounted the heated grip switch and resistor to it---here it is before I painted it all black---you can see the 2 prong plug which will plug into the one shown above. I fastened this plate to one of the handlebar bolts---so the switch is real handy.

Here's a good shot of my gps----notice to the left of it the heated grip switch---it has a high and low setting.

Left hand shot--kind of hard to see everything.

Here is a picture of my widder plug for my heated clothing---it runs straight to the battery with an inline fuse. I ran it under the seat and beside my Wolfman "Enduro" tank bag---which works great on this bike---put it right on top of the gas cap.
I can use this Widder plug to charge my battery also---I made an adaptor to plug my battery tender in here.

Here is a picture of my headlight switch---which only turns off my low beam.
Maybe I didn't need this on this bike---but sometimes on my other bikes I may need to have more juice to keep me warm on a nice sunny but cold day.

Then there are the time I want to be incognito (don't want to be seen)---or heard---so I'll keep my quiet muffler.

You can see the pile of junk I've removed from my bike--more to come later.
Also my Cycra Pro-bend handguards---I can't put them on yet as I don't have the side mount triple clamp mounts yet. I hate mounting handguards to the handlebars---this is always a fitup nightmare----and sometimes the handlebars are crowded.
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.

BigDogAdventures screwed with this post 12-12-2008 at 06:27 PM
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 07:06 PM   #1528
Conner
Charlie Ringo

Oddometer: 308
The Plot Thickens...

Welcome on board BigDog. Great to have a rider and author of your calibre on this thread. Some real talent, and real characters here, you'll fit right in.

The cadre might enjoy this:
http://www.bigdogadventures.com/RidingPriorities.htm

I'm taking the conservative route to mods on mine. Just ordered the Aqualine tank. The seat is at Renazco.

My Nevada section TAT roll charts arrived yesterday.

Conner in Sacramento
Conner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 08:13 PM   #1529
trailuser
take the backroads

Oddometer: 1,382
??

[QUOTE=BigDogAdventures.com]My heated grips came in today and I got them on and wired up--along with the gps power.
These are the "Hot Grip" brand model #475-875 which are for 7/8" bars and are 4 3/4" long. This is the same grip I have on my other 3 bikes.
They are available here:
http://www.hotgrips.com/
If you ever buy any from them be sure and order their epoxy----ordinary quick set epoxy won't hold up.
Also notice how the ends of the heated grips are open---I ordered them this way as I will added Cycro Pro-Bend handguards later on.

Mark,

You have a new toy I see

me too
trailuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 10:01 PM   #1530
Zadok08
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
New Force Radiator Guards.........

Well....here it is. I received the Force Radiator Guard today.
Took a couple pics of the install.

Here is where I ordered it from:
http://www.forceaccessories.com.au/
Total, including shipping was under 80 bucks.

This is a really nice piece of work. Strong too. Best protection of
any guard I have seen yet.

It wraps around the radiator. It bolts to the same bolt holes where the radiator is mounted, then on the back side where the radiator hose clamp
is mounted.

Zadok08 is offline   Reply With Quote