Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2010, 06:26 AM   #17611
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,289
I haven't had the chance to ride with HighFive in . . . well . . . it seems like forever ago, but we finally had a chance to connect this weekend. I was heading down to conquer the CNT again and HF had planned on doing some dual sporting in the same general vicinity, but opted to join me for Saturday morning's festivities

We met up just South of Tulsa for the ride down and with the help of some of HF's "shortcuts" we managed to hit a few spots of dirt/gravel on our 2 1/2 hour journey South. Set up camp, ate dinner, and went to bed pretty early.

Got up at first light on Saturday ready to hit the trails. Throughout the morning we swapped bikes back and forth to make comparisons. Keep in mind that HF is running 13/46 and I'm running 13/47, but on the trails, I honestly couldn't tell much difference in the "feel" of the motors at all. I don't know if my slightly lower gearing made up for the difference in power or not, I just know there wasn't much of a difference between my stock motor and HF's 290.

I will say on the highway ride down, HF could hold 6th gear on the big uphills and I had to downshift to 5th, but out on the trails we were riding I honestly couldn't tell much difference. Of course I swapped bikes with our buddy riding the KTM 530 too and whoa momma . . . now THAT'S a motor I'd still rather have my WRR, though. All that power on the KTM comes at a price . . . vibrations. The WRR has none, the KTM has them in spades. At the end of the day, I'm ready to keep riding - and I did - the 2 1/2 hours back to Tulsa, while the KTM guy was ready for a nap

Back to the bikes . . .

Go-Race Suspension . . . oh my . . . if there is one thing you do to your bike let this be it. The difference between HF's bike with the Go-Race and my stock bike was like night and day. I've got mine set up as well as you can possibly set up the stock suspension and HF's bike just blows it away. There is no bouncing around, no jerking, no . . . anything. It just holds its line like its on rails. Totally unbelievable. We swapped back and forth a couple times mid-trail and I'm telling you I've never felt anything else like it. It blew away the suspension on the 530. No lie.

I haven't done mine yet due to low funds and honestly, I've been avoiding riding HF's bike because I didn't want to want it, but I just couldn't stay away this weekend. I've gotta have it now. I'm taking donations . . .

I've got a few pictures, but they're on my camera at home. In the meantime, here's a video my KTM buddy took on a short section of smooth single track.

Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 07:50 AM   #17612
BigFeet
Banned

Oddometer: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabill
I haven't had the chance to ride with HighFive in . . . well . . . it seems like forever ago, but we finally had a chance to connect this weekend. I was heading down to conquer the CNT again and HF had planned on doing some dual sporting in the same general vicinity, but opted to join me for Saturday morning's festivities

We met up just South of Tulsa for the ride down and with the help of some of HF's "shortcuts" we managed to hit a few spots of dirt/gravel on our 2 1/2 hour journey South. Set up camp, ate dinner, and went to bed pretty early.

Got up at first light on Saturday ready to hit the trails. Throughout the morning we swapped bikes back and forth to make comparisons. Keep in mind that HF is running 13/46 and I'm running 13/47, but on the trails, I honestly couldn't tell much difference in the "feel" of the motors at all. I don't know if my slightly lower gearing made up for the difference in power or not, I just know there wasn't much of a difference between my stock motor and HF's 290.

I will say on the highway ride down, HF could hold 6th gear on the big uphills and I had to downshift to 5th, but out on the trails we were riding I honestly couldn't tell much difference. Of course I swapped bikes with our buddy riding the KTM 530 too and whoa momma . . . now THAT'S a motor I'd still rather have my WRR, though. All that power on the KTM comes at a price . . . vibrations. The WRR has none, the KTM has them in spades. At the end of the day, I'm ready to keep riding - and I did - the 2 1/2 hours back to Tulsa, while the KTM guy was ready for a nap

Back to the bikes . . .

Go-Race Suspension . . . oh my . . . if there is one thing you do to your bike let this be it. The difference between HF's bike with the Go-Race and my stock bike was like night and day. I've got mine set up as well as you can possibly set up the stock suspension and HF's bike just blows it away. There is no bouncing around, no jerking, no . . . anything. It just holds its line like its on rails. Totally unbelievable. We swapped back and forth a couple times mid-trail and I'm telling you I've never felt anything else like it. It blew away the suspension on the 530. No lie.

I haven't done mine yet due to low funds and honestly, I've been avoiding riding HF's bike because I didn't want to want it, but I just couldn't stay away this weekend. I've gotta have it now. I'm taking donations . . .

I've got a few pictures, but they're on my camera at home. In the meantime, here's a video my KTM buddy took on a short section of smooth single track.

Krabill,

Thanks for posting the video! Looks like a lot of fun.

Excellent info, too.

Did you ride any washboard while on HF's GoRace suspension? I deal with a lot of that each trip to or from 'BigFeet Hunting Lodge & Hair Salon'.

BigFeet
(formerly: Artoo)
BigFeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 07:59 AM   #17613
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,838
+1 for Go Race Suspension...

...The best money I've spent on the WR-R since buying it. Absolutely transformed the bike!

Travis Jones really knows his stuff and went the extra mile to make sure it was just right
GSBS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 08:00 AM   #17614
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,222
just got a notice that sargent will be building a wr seat.
if you pre reg. you get a discount price.
i have a sargent on my dr & strom. they use a very light pan (campared to corbin) and imo build the best non-custom after-market seat in the biz.

http://www.sargentcycle.com/
http://www.sargentcycle.com/randd.htm

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Fellow riders,

Due to the amount of email and phone calls we have received from our fellow riders requesting we develop a new and improved seat for the following motorcycles, Sargent Cycle Products has decided to move forward in developing these models:

Kawasaki

2006+ KLX 250S / 2009+ 250 SF

2003-2004 KLX 400R/SR

Suzuki

2000+ DRZ 400E/S/SM

Yamaha

2008+ WR 250 R/X

Please note that Sargent Cycle Products has also opened up pre-registration for these machines on our web site at www.SargentCycle.com under the "in Development" tab. There you can pre-register for our special introductory offer on any of the above mentioned machines without any obligation to purchase.

To receive your special World Sport Performance Seat introductory price offer, please complete the pre-registration information on our web site. You will be notified (via email) as soon as a product is released.

About Special Introductory Pricing:
Pre-registered customers will receive special introductory pricing for a limited time upon product availability. There is no obligation to purchase. At the time of availability, you will simply receive an email notification, outlining product features and special pricing. But, don't delay! Pre-registration can close at any time prior to product availability.

You will receive a confirmation email upon submission. Thanks!

NOTE: This is an email notification program. If your email address changes, please re-submit or contact us at 1-800-749-7328 with your new information to ensure that you receive your notification.

We appreciate you emails and phone calls that has brought the need for an improved seat to these machines to our attention. Please keep an eye out for these seats to be released late spring 2011 just in time for the new riding season.

Ride Safe!

Mary Pestalitz

Research and Development

Sargent Cycle Products

Jacksonville, Florida

WWW.SargentCycle.com
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 08:04 AM   #17615
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFeet
Did you ride any washboard while on HF's GoRace suspension? I deal with a lot of that each trip to or from 'BigFeet Hunting Lodge & Hair Salon'.
The video was from about the only "smooth" section of trail we did all day. Most of it is as rough and rocky as anything you'll find anywhere. While no actual washboard, I did ride his bike through a creek bed that was nothing more than softball sized rocks and it felt just like riding down I-40. I mean I could see the rocks I was riding over, but I couldn't feel a single one of them. Perfectly smooth. Unbelievable.
Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 08:07 AM   #17616
BigFeet
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabill
The video was from about the only "smooth" section of trail we did all day. Most of it is as rough and rocky as anything you'll find anywhere. While no actual washboard, I did ride his bike through a creek bed that was nothing more than softball sized rocks and it felt just like riding down I-40. I mean I could see the rocks I was riding over, but I couldn't feel a single one of them. Perfectly smooth. Unbelievable.
Krabill,

Thanks for the info. Sounds like a must do for me...

I'll bet Travis will be covered up with orders in the off season!

BigFeet/Artoo

BigFeet screwed with this post 10-04-2010 at 08:27 AM
Old 10-04-2010, 08:22 AM   #17617
Chadx
Off the road again..

Oddometer: 2,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins
just got a notice that sargent will be building a wr seat.
if you pre reg. you get a discount price.
i have a sargent on my dr & strom. they use a very light pan (campared to corbin) and imo build the best non-custom after-market seat in the biz.
I had them build one on a stock WR seat pan and I looooove this seat. I had them try not to get it any lower than stock and they did a pretty good job. And no visible seams. The grippy material they uses stretched enough that it conformed and stapled without seams (except for the front "slipper" for the front of the seat, of course).

The closed cell foam makes all the difference. I've had it on for over maybe almost 2,000 miles and it is broken in and very comfortable. Somewhere way back I posted pictures compared to the stockseat and measurements. [Edit: Found it here http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=15808 ]
I did a 10.5 hour ride Saturday and was glad to have it. I normally get in a 8+ hour trail ride every weekend. Good stuff. Will be interested in seeing what they come up with for a seat pan and a price.
Chadx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:05 AM   #17618
bash3r
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadx
I had them build one on a stock WR seat pan and I looooove this seat. I had them try not to get it any lower than stock and they did a pretty good job. And no visible seams. The grippy material they uses stretched enough that it conformed and stapled without seams (except for the front "slipper" for the front of the seat, of course).

The closed cell foam makes all the difference. I've had it on for over maybe almost 2,000 miles and it is broken in and very comfortable. Somewhere way back I posted pictures compared to the stockseat and measurements. [Edit: Found it here http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=15808 ]
I did a 10.5 hour ride Saturday and was glad to have it. I normally get in a 8+ hour trail ride every weekend. Good stuff. Will be interested in seeing what they come up with for a seat pan and a price.
At least on my Versys, the Corbin seat weighs more than anything on my WR, ok maybe not the engine.. so light weight is good!

Overall I think the WR seat is very good and comfy, but once I get over 200miles on it at a time, I'm wishing for something else & hoping that whatever alternative seat I did have actually made a difference!

I'll be anxious to see what kinda pricing Sargent comes out with..

My ADV Website | 3 Step Hideaway |Campground POIs
bash3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:25 AM   #17619
BigFeet
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bash3r
At least on my Versys, the Corbin seat weighs more than anything on my WR, ok maybe not the engine.. so light weight is good!

Overall I think the WR seat is very good and comfy, but once I get over 200miles on it at a time, I'm wishing for something else & hoping that whatever alternative seat I did have actually made a difference!

I'll be anxious to see what kinda pricing Sargent comes out with..
bash3r,

The stock seat on my WRX is far more comfortable than the Corbin or stock seat were on my KLR650 but that's not sayin' much. The Corbin was hard as a rock even with an Alaska Leather buttpad.

I agree that 200 miles would be about my daily limit seat wise on my WR250X. Well, maybe 300 but I have other limiters unrelated to the seat. I pretty much never ride that far in a day, so I'm very happy with the WRX seat. It is the best stock seat I've ever had on a bike, so I won't be shelling out for a custom seat.

Then again, I may not be getting the true effect of it. I switched my bike from blue to black so I had a trim shop do a custom black seat cover for it. They used some really soft stretchy vinyl they highly recommended for motorcycle seats (NOT a grabber vinyl on top; grabber for the sides only). I think this made the seat feel a bit softer than stock. I like it a lot.

BigFeet/Artoo
Old 10-04-2010, 11:23 AM   #17620
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer: 2,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by emerson.biguns
Sounds like Crawdaddy is hanging with the big bikes in the KotW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardWorkingDog
Ya got this whole thread behind ya.

Thanks for the support everyone.......got home around midnight........I was the oldest rider on the smallest displacement bike and the only Yamaha........and I had a blast.

I'm not sure where I stand in the final KotW tally but it’s probably somewhere in the middle of the pack or better........a true tale of the Tortoise and the Hare(s)……..no spills, flats, or bike maintenance issues allowed me to get ahead of the bigger/faster bikes…….I can’t out run’em, but I showed the little bike can chug along at a sustained ~60-70mph all day (top speed was 82mph) and slip right past’em in the deep washes, whoops, technical areas (technical for them…..no BFD on the WR250R)……

I obviously didn’t show up with the fastest bike………my strategy was all about pacing myself and picking off the bigger bikes when the opportunities presented themselves ……..the best moment of the ride (for me) came on Day 2 leaving Moapa…….there was a steep/slippery climb early in the ride that was giving the big/pig bikes fits…….many started looking for alternative paths around the hill because they couldn’t make the climb……..it was no sweat on the WR250R with trials tires……..I felt like I was cheating ………I went right up and never looked back which allowed me to get out in front of most of the riders……..I was running in 2nd place for most of the day but then stopped a bit too long in Enterprise, UT. to gas/snack and got passed up by a few riders that had monster tanks and didn’t need gas………I also stopped a few times to snap pics up near Brianhead rather than focusing on racing……..if I had kept myself in “race mode” (a different/new mindset for this old trail rider) I might’ve come in first on leg 2 because the leader wound up getting a front flat………oh well, whatever, my primary goal was to finish……and I did just that……..we only had 16 riders at the start line yesterday……..lot’s of attrition due to bike/physical difficulties…….no such issues with this bike/rider

On the rest day, a lot of riders were changing tires, repairing their bikes/bodies, etc…………I cleaned my air filter and had a beer

My biggest “bike issue” had nothing to do with the bike………..I started the ride with too much weight in my tail bag………..I launched it through whoops a couple of times on day 1 and once on day 2……….on the first day I didn’t know it was gone until another rider told me……….then I had to backtrack 7 miles through deep/sandy whoops in Teagle Wash by Trona to recover it (since my truck keys were in it!)…….so riding 21 miles of sandy/wash whoops versus the 7 that everyone else rode really set me back on leg 1)

Leg mileage worked out to something like ~375 on leg one, 250 on leg 2, 330 on leg 3, and 260 on leg 4…………pretty big mileage days………no sweat on the WR250R
http://www.WhereAmIRiding.com
Crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 11:31 AM   #17621
bash3r
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,683
AWESOME!! Way to go Chris...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdaddy
Thanks for the support everyone.......got home around midnight........I was the oldest rider on the smallest displacement bike and the only Yamaha........and I had a blast.

I'm not sure where I stand in the final KotW tally but it’s probably somewhere in the middle of the pack or better........a true tale of the Tortoise and the Hare(s)……..no spills, flats, or bike maintenance issues allowed me to get ahead of the bigger/faster bikes…….I can’t out run’em, but I showed the little bike can chug along at a sustained ~60-70mph all day (top speed was 82mph) and slip right past’em in the deep washes, whoops, technical areas (technical for them…..no BFD on the WR250R)……

I obviously didn’t show up with the fastest bike………my strategy was all about pacing myself and picking off the bigger bikes when the opportunities presented themselves ……..the best moment of the ride (for me) came on Day 2 leaving Moapa…….there was a steep/slippery climb early in the ride that was giving the big/pig bikes fits…….many started looking for alternative paths around the hill because they couldn’t make the climb……..it was no sweat on the WR250R with trials tires……..I felt like I was cheating ………I went right up and never looked back which allowed me to get out in front of most of the riders……..I was running in 2nd place for most of the day but then stopped a bit too long in Enterprise, UT. to gas/snack and got passed up by a few riders that had monster tanks and didn’t need gas………I also stopped a few times to snap pics up near Brianhead rather than focusing on racing……..if I had kept myself in “race mode” (a different/new mindset for this old trail rider) I might’ve come in first on leg 2 because the leader wound up getting a front flat………oh well, whatever, my primary goal was to finish……and I did just that……..we only had 16 riders at the start line yesterday……..lot’s of attrition due to bike/physical difficulties…….no such issues with this bike/rider

On the rest day, a lot of riders were changing tires, repairing their bikes/bodies, etc…………I cleaned my air filter and had a beer

My biggest “bike issue” had nothing to do with the bike………..I started the ride with too much weight in my tail bag………..I launched it through whoops a couple of times on day 1 and once on day 2……….on the first day I didn’t know it was gone until another rider told me……….then I had to backtrack 7 miles through deep/sandy whoops in Teagle Wash by Trona to recover it (since my truck keys were in it!)…….so riding 21 miles of sandy/wash whoops versus the 7 that everyone else rode really set me back on leg 1)

Leg mileage worked out to something like ~375 on leg one, 250 on leg 2, 330 on leg 3, and 260 on leg 4…………pretty big mileage days………no sweat on the WR250R

My ADV Website | 3 Step Hideaway |Campground POIs
bash3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 11:53 AM   #17622
BigFeet
Banned

KoTW Finish

Good job, Crawdaddy!

BigFeet
aka, Artoo
Old 10-04-2010, 12:25 PM   #17623
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,640
Quote:
WOO-HOO The blast part is what it's all about, not to mention no broken ribs...

Quote:
..I was running in 2nd place for most of the day but then stopped a bit too long in Enterprise, UT. to gas/snack and got passed up by a few riders that had monster tanks and didn’t need gas…
You running the IMS tank?

Quote:

If we ever get the chance to meet, I've got one o' these for you:

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"

HardWorkingDog screwed with this post 10-06-2010 at 10:03 AM Reason: stoopid question
HardWorkingDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 01:19 PM   #17624
kawagumby
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFeet
bash3r,

The stock seat on my WRX is far more comfortable than the Corbin or stock seat were on my KLR650 but that's not sayin' much. The Corbin was hard as a rock even with an Alaska Leather buttpad.

BigFeet/Artoo
The Corbin on my WR250R is very comfy, the foam is harder than some of the "soft" foams provided by other comfort seats and thusly has a small amount of break-in time for optimization, which then gives more support. I also used a Sargent seat on my 08 KLR and it was great too. I think you won't lose with either. I have a "missing" disk and blown out SI joints, so the seat is probably the most critical thing for me - I couldn't use the stock seat for more than 45 minutes at a time or so, and I'd be in pain for hours after. With the Corbin I can ride for hours no problem. I made my own softer seat using the stock pan, the problem was I couldn't get it wide enough to protect my bottom from concentrated center loading, even tho I added over 1.5 inches to the width. The corbin pan is much wider, and provides the support that is needed in my case. I have no doubt that Sargent will do something similar - they are both top-notch companies based on my experience.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:08 PM   #17625
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,935
Way to show 'em Crawdaddy! Well done!

Quote:

cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote