Originally Posted by Nice_Rumble
Got gas?
Full tank.
GotMojo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 01:33 PM   #17733
GotMojo?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,103
About 1200 miles ago I did install an FMF Power Programmer. If one of the connections under the tank came lose, could that cause it to not start even though it's turning over? Maybe I need to take the seat and stuff off and go in there and make sure all those connections are OK, no?
Old 10-07-2010, 01:51 PM   #17734
bash3r
I ain't no DingWeed

Oddometer: 1,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotMojo?
You mean the red toggle button on the right side of the handlebars? I always leave that thing on and turn the bike off with the key. I did play around with that toggle though just to be sure.

Like I said, the bike turns over, but it won't start. I don't want to keep trying it over and over either.... I'm sure that could fry the starter or battery.
Yea.. me to.. I never use the kill switch. But one time I did go to start her up and no go.. just crankin.. not a "turn over" and thought "NO.. fuel pump!!!" then saw the kill switch had been engaged.. I think it was one of my boys.. 6,000 miles on mine and 1yr 1month old it's started every time but that one I just mentioned

Have there been reports of '09s having issues.. ? Not that it means it couldn't be a fuel pump issue.. but may make GotMojo feel better...

Adventure Tshirts | 3 Step Hideaway |Campground POIs
bash3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 02:00 PM   #17735
GotMojo?
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bash3r
Yea.. me to.. I never use the kill switch. But one time I did go to start her up and no go.. just crankin.. not a "turn over" and thought "NO.. fuel pump!!!" then saw the kill switch had been engaged.. I think it was one of my boys.. 6,000 miles on mine and 1yr 1month old it's started every time but that one I just mentioned

Have there been reports of '09s having issues.. ? Not that it means it couldn't be a fuel pump issue.. but may make GotMojo feel better...
I thought only '08's had the fuel pump issue, but who knows. I'm gonna go make sure my FMF programmer didn't come loose or something. The rest of the bike is completely stock, so not sure what else to check. I'm just glad this happened in my driveway and not 100 miles from home. I would be fuming mad if my practically new bike wouldn't start and I had to have it trailered home.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:02 PM   #17736
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,791
The starter won't turn over and the fuel pump won't "prime" if the kill switch is off.
Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 02:23 PM   #17737
GotMojo?
Beastly Adventurer

I just unhooked my FMF Power Programmer and hooked everything back up stock. Same thing. Bike turns over, but won't start.

Hmmmm. I guess I will leave the Power Programmer off and call the dealer to see what they say. I'm stumped. Bike started just fine yesterday and I haven't done anything to the bike, but now it won't fire up. I'm thinking its the fuel pump, only because I've read about several people with this problem.

Anybody know what my next step should be? Call the dealer?
Old 10-07-2010, 02:42 PM   #17738
Byrd45
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Try swapping plugs

Hey there:

Had the same problem when I first got my WRX and did the FMF install. I thought it might be the dreaded fuel pump issue but installing a new spark plug did the trick and she fired right up and has been flawless all year. I'd give that a try as your first step...
Byrd45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 02:50 PM   #17739
Nice_Rumble
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,243
You say your fuel pump is priming the injector. Hmmm, mine would not prime at all when the pump crapped out. Sounds to me like your fuel pump is still good.

Bike is getting air? Don't have a rag stuffed in the airbox? A motor should fire if it's getting spark, fuel and air. I'm sure it's something simple.
Nice_Rumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 02:52 PM   #17740
BluePill
AARP Slacker

Oddometer: 4,669
Quote:
Anybody know what my next step should be? Call the dealer?
No start diagnosis 101. Applies to all gasoline engines, either EFI or carb.

Engine needs 3 things to run: Compression, proper fuel mixture, properly timed spark.

If compression fails, it can usually be heard while cranking. Rather than the normal "uneven" sound made my the engine spinning faster then slower as it goes through the different cycles (About 5 to 10 times per second at cranking speed), you will hear a more even and faster cranking speed. This is because the starter is not "fighting" against the compression.

If there is a failure of ignition, the cylinder and spark plug will become fouled with wet fuel. If you remove the spark plug and it is wet with fuel, you probably have an ignition failure.

There are small and cheap "ignition testers" available at most auto stores. They are basically a modified spark plug with a larger than normal gap.

If you are comfortable removing the fuel tank and plug yourself, it would be the first step in diagnosis.
Old 10-07-2010, 03:08 PM   #17741
GotMojo?
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice_Rumble
You say your fuel pump is priming the injector. Hmmm, mine would not prime at all when the pump crapped out. Sounds to me like your fuel pump is still good.

Bike is getting air? Don't have a rag stuffed in the airbox? A motor should fire if it's getting spark, fuel and air. I'm sure it's something simple.
Yea, when I turn the key, I can clearly hear the fuel pump and it sounds normal. I figured if the fuel pump was an issue then I wouldn't hear it at all.

Hopefully it is something simple. Airbox is clear. I guess I will try the spark plug and a few other things. Very odd. Bike started fine yesterday... sat in the garage all night... now won't start. Hmmmm.
Old 10-07-2010, 03:08 PM   #17742
Chromer
Not going gentle

Oddometer: 885
Mine didn't want to start once, it was cranking slowly. A couple minutes on the charger and it fired right up.

A tripped tip-over sensor will also cause a crank/no start condition. Cycle the key.

As mentioned, air, fuel, spark. You're missing one of these. Once you know which, diagnosis gets easier...
Old 10-07-2010, 03:23 PM   #17743
GotMojo?
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromer
A tripped tip-over sensor will also cause a crank/no start condition. Cycle the key.
I might try the charger overnight.... can you explain what you mean by the above? What is "cycle the key" ?
Old 10-07-2010, 04:06 PM   #17744
bash3r
I ain't no DingWeed

Oddometer: 1,721
Quote:
I might try the charger overnight.... can you explain what you mean by the above? What is "cycle the key" ?
Turn the key off then back on. if you drop the bike and do this it will start right up. I see guys just trying to crank it over and over and over after they lay it down.. but if you just turn the key off then back on.. the pump primes and starts right up.

Krabill you are correct.. haha. kill switch on.. you got nothing.. I don't know what I was thinking.. it wasn't cranking over when I did this but it did freak me out for a second

Adventure Tshirts | 3 Step Hideaway |Campground POIs
bash3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 04:20 PM   #17745
GotMojo?
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bash3r
Turn the key off then back on. if you drop the bike and do this it will start right up. I see guys just trying to crank it over and over and over after they lay it down.. but if you just turn the key off then back on.. the pump primes and starts right up.
Oh, I've done that. Turned the key off several times, even had it in the locked position. Still won't start. I'm at a loss. This freaking bike has just over 2000 miles LOL. Gotta be something simple....just need to figure out exactly what that is.

Is it OK to use a standard "Battery Tender" 12 volt trickle charger on the stock battery? I thought I read somewhere not to use those, but of course now I can't find the thread.