Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2010, 11:28 AM   #18961
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvUMan View Post
I had a Penton 175. Damn thing was fast fast fast and indestructible.
Nice...

My BIGGEST regret in life is that I somehow lost interest in motorcycling right about when Penton was working on his part of the evolution, continuing on what the DT1 and Husqvarna started. I fell asleep like Rip Van Winkle and woke up 20 years later...amazed at what had transpired in the intervening years.

Been trying hard over the last 8 years to make up for lost time.

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 11:30 AM   #18962
MiamiMotorcyclist
used to be -MiamiUly

Oddometer: 1,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by stbob View Post
Got me a new toy for christmas...
Had been contemplating getting another bike for awhile and was having tough time deciding which bike.
This thread helped make my choice an easy one.

Thanks & Happy Holidays...
Nice- welcome to the club. Gotta love new bike smell.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:59 PM   #18963
bash3r
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,685
Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!!

To each and everyone of you here.. you've all made the enjoyment of adventure riding an everyday event! Let's have a lot of fun in 2011.

Merry Christmas & God Bless.

My ADV Website | 3 Step Hideaway |Campground POIs
bash3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 09:31 PM   #18964
mordicai
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Thanks Chadx. I've never read on this site anyone doing it. I would not like to lose the steering lock. It's not that big a deal for me use the existing location as long as I face the key in the right direction. I appreciate the write up.
mordicai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 02:26 AM   #18965
Mr. Fisherman
Ray soon to be AWAY!

Oddometer: 10,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBS View Post
Anybody using this rim lock on their WR-R?

Motion Pro "LiteLoc" composite 2.15" rim lock (stronger than aluminum ones at half the weight, according to their specs)...

Now that I run the 606s all the time on the WR-R's rear wheel, I'm thinking this would allow lower pressures off-road without being too heavy to balance for road use.

Anyone with experience using this rim lock???
I have one of these in my parts box as I removed it when I installed my Tubliss system for my dirt set of wheels. It is notably lighter than an aluminum one, I was surprised when I found it when I swapped for the Tubliss.
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 02:53 AM   #18966
Mr. Fisherman
Ray soon to be AWAY!

Oddometer: 10,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadx View Post
mordicai,
First I'll note that those images were not of my setup, but photos that Paul sent me, so I've no first hand knowledge of the key switch mounts, but you are correct that a key relocation, if possible with the WRR, would remove the steering locking being combined with the ignition key. Some folks have had the ignition out so maybe they will pipe up, but I believe the entire unit is bolted in with (near) permanent bolts with tightening heads but no head/threads one can loosen. I think the removal methods have been one of two; grind a slot on top of each bolt in order to insert a large flat blade screwdriver; or grind the head off the bolts in order to slide the ignition and computer up over the studs, then use a vise grips to grab the now exposed stub nub (that's fun to say) and unscrew the bolts.

I've not thought about a ignition relocation on the WRR and I'm unaware of if the ignition can be removed from the gauge cluster. But if you can, the bracket pictured is one of many that HDB offer. Here is a link to the key switch mount sales page of the HDB website. My take on it was that I kind of like the way the HDB bracket covers the key. Makes the key slot less noticeable to the casual observer in case I forget the key in the ignition. Though, in my case, I have a super tall lower clamp, so that moves the top clamp much taller and gives plenty of clearance to insert and remove the key. You could also do the "key mod" that many have done. It involves taking one of your keys, cutting off the head, cutting a slot in some form of cap (anything from a bottle cap to a freeze plug), inserting the key blade and JB Welding it in place. Then you have a low profile key that has a bit of a rain cap to keep grime out of your ignition and doesn't even look like a key if you forget it on the bike.

HDB key mounts. This is but one of several kinds Paul makes:
Working out the tamper proof bolts in this mount is an exercise in frustration. In my Lynx Fairing install thread you can see what I went through dealing with this. Getting to the bolt is problematic and there isn't a way to drill it out or cut a slot in it because of where it is. I drilled from the top down to get the one bolt I needed out, others have just cut the mount. I still have steering lock but only altered one of the three bolts. The problem is that the bolt is recessed and to close to the headset and frame to drill because the chuck hits the frame and doesn't allow the proper angle. I was frustrated and at the end of a long evening of wrenching when I came up with my solution though. YMMV.
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 07:43 AM   #18967
Bonnie Abbzug
Property of Hayduke

Oddometer: 10,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by bash3r View Post
To each and everyone of you here.. you've all made the enjoyment of adventure riding an everyday event! Let's have a lot of fun in 2011.

Merry Christmas & God Bless.

Very nice bash!!

Have a great day everyone!
Bonnie Abbzug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 09:03 AM   #18968
Yaozer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fisherman View Post
I swapped for the Tubliss.
Does anyone know if Tubliss makes rim locks that fit on the WR250X yet?
Yaozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 11:28 AM   #18969
Oh2RideMore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,264
Bent foot peg

Anyone know of a good replacement for the factory foot pegs on the wr? I bent the left one on a drop last night whilst towing a sled with nephew. Only dropped 3 times in the snow, not too bad.
Old 12-25-2010, 11:41 AM   #18970
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh2RideMore View Post
Anyone know of a good replacement for the factory foot pegs on the wr? I bent the left one on a drop last night whilst towing a sled with nephew. Only dropped 3 times in the snow, not too bad.
Big hammer??
AZ TOM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 12:32 PM   #18971
Oh2RideMore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,264
Hammer would work

But I do not want pegs that deform, could make it hard to ride out of a tough spot somewhere. The cheap pegs I put on my vstrom from d2moto, reinforced with 3 more rows of teeth, are cheap and solid, but heavy. Thinking I may get another set as they work well and do not deform.
Old 12-25-2010, 12:38 PM   #18972
fotobo
KTM rider

Oddometer: 1,584
Does anyone recognize this tail rack? I bought the bike from someone else and the rack was already on it. I thought it was ugly so I took it off. I am wanting to put it back on for a trip. I saw somewhere, some extenders that attach to it, so you can put soft saddle bags on it. Can't remember where I saw them and have tried to do searches on Google but have had no luck. If someone could help me out it would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-25-2010, 01:13 PM   #18973
fotobo
KTM rider

Oddometer: 1,584
Never mind, after more google searching, I finally found it. It is made by cycleracks.com.
Old 12-25-2010, 01:18 PM   #18974
spyderman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
rack

Home - Cycleracks.com - Your Motorcycle Rack Solution A little late I see
spyderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 02:18 PM   #18975
ramz
Professional Trail Rider

Oddometer: 1,943
Quote:
Anyone know of a good replacement for the factory foot pegs on the wr?
I added a set of footpeg wideners that work just fine to reduce foot fatigue and strengthen the pegs:
http://rickramsey.net/WR250Rmods.htm#footpegs

ramz screwed with this post 12-26-2010 at 10:36 AM
ramz is offline   Reply With Quote