Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2011, 01:33 PM   #19111
ohenry
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohenry View Post
I just installed a set of AC-10's and I like them.
I have used an MT-21 front and a Trackmaster2 rear on my old 450exc which did OK
On my 640 I have a pair of D606's and they did great on the trail and on the street it did no do well in mud.
I just picked up and installed a pair of the AC-10's and they could tell first that it turns faster than the TW's and are great in the mud!

Ohenry
I took it out yesterday and it was really windy the front tire is a bit narrow so the contact patch is also narrow so the front is a bit more twitchy than the MT-21, D606, and stock wingis it most like the MT-21. I like the easy turning that the tire creates also love it in the dirt because it cuts so well even in the mud. I had a full tank and was on a pee wee track that was very tight with lots of switch backs and soupy mud and with the new AC-10's with 18psi in front and 20 psi in the rear it was perfect.

Ohenry
Old 01-08-2011, 01:47 PM   #19112
PYG RYDR
Adventure-Dual Sport

Oddometer: 343
Thumb Wolfman Saddlebags

Mine arrived Thursday.

Since I also have the Yama Rear Luggage Rack, I had to do a little grinding, add a couple longer bolts, and got everyting bolted up. Looks great and seems strong.

Curious as to why the fastening bolts are 1/2 inch rather than metric (12mm) head though?

Expect to be plenty pleased when in use!
There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it.
Only the wisest of humans achieve the second.
Logan Pearsall Smith
PYG RYDR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 05:31 PM   #19113
Chadx
Off the road again..

Oddometer: 2,161
I hate mixed SAE and metric bolts on any vehicle. I wish everyone one the planet would just go metric and be done with it. It's so much easier to work with and would eliminate 50% of my open end wrenches, sockets, allen wrenches, etc.

...but we're 'mericans. So that will never happen. Divisible by 16? Great idea!
Chadx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 05:36 PM   #19114
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 6,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadx View Post
I hate mixed SAE and metric bolts on any vehicle. I wish everyone one the planet would just go metric and be done with it. It's so much easier to work with and would eliminate 50% of my open end wrenches, sockets, allen wrenches, etc.

...but we're 'mericans. So that will never happen. Divisible by 16? Great idea!
You're right Chadx, We're Americans and the rest of the world is wrong.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:47 PM   #19115
Dysco
caddis muncher

Oddometer: 15,794
Stuff that worked for me after a year:

The stock case guard without the cover, attached with some buttonheads. I ditched the C/S cover after an encounter with a rare Colorado mud hole nearly cost me my clutch. I also wired on the C/S nut instead of using the tabs. The wire goes from a corner of the nut to the holes on the sprocket. The nut should last a lot longer this way and give me quicker changes.

The stock chainguide is probably a good thing to keep on. It can take a real beating.

Some winged bolts from McMaster-Carr with holes drilled in and some safety wire looped through gives me peace of mind that the bolts won't drop out and a little wire to use if I need to make a repair. I also don't need tools to get my seat off.
Dysco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:52 PM   #19116
Dysco
caddis muncher

Oddometer: 15,794
I also fixed up my skidplate for the new year...

It's seen some rocks.

A little cleaning and some time with the hammer and she's as good as new.

I can't say enough good things about the B&B plate. It beats the heck out of the flimsy thing I had on my old WR450F.
Dysco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 05:25 PM   #19117
10Cup
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,499
Some good ideas there Dysco. Safety wire is always a good thing if you carry the tools to handle it in emergencies etc. and I'm sure you do.

Wondering how many R riders out there find the need for a front or rear brake disk guard. I have never needed one but always wondered about it as my chain guide is pretty dented up too same as Dysco's.

Any input appreciated.

TIA
10Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 06:21 PM   #19118
DingWeed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Cup View Post
Some good ideas there Dysco. Safety wire is always a good thing if you carry the tools to handle it in emergencies etc. and I'm sure you do.

Wondering how many R riders out there find the need for a front or rear brake disk guard. I have never needed one but always wondered about it as my chain guide is pretty dented up too same as Dysco's.

Any input appreciated.

TIA
Hey 10cup,

I have one on the rear and it picks up quite a few rock dings.I would much rather ding up the guard rather than the disc. I dont have one on the front.....have not had any trouble with it.......just my .02

Scott
DingWeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 06:43 PM   #19119
BigFeet
Banned

Oddometer: 501
Disk guard

10cup,

I'm using a plastic rear disk protector made for the WR250F that was recommended by Krabill. It's cheap and bolts right on.

It seems to be doing a good job so far.

Larry
BigFeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:31 PM   #19120
OKDQ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 508
Quote:

Any input appreciated.

TIA
I had the GYTR disc guards, riding really rocky terrain (Clayton, OK) hit a rock very hard, kicked the rear end around pretty good - I was pretty proud I that I managed to save it. One of the guys I was with said "is that supposed to be like that?" referring to my rear disc guard. It was bent all to hell and broke the aluminum mounting tab off my swing arm. I'm sure my disc would have been bent if I had not have had the guard and possibly a ride ended to soon.

Now I'm looking for someone who can tig weld to repair the aluminum mounting tab.

Anyone know if the flatland disc guard uses this tab to bolt up to? Would like to find a disc guard that does not use such a fragile mount.
OKDQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:33 PM   #19121
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFeet View Post
10cup,

I'm using a plastic rear disk protector made for the WR250F that was recommended by Krabill. It's cheap and bolts right on.

It seems to be doing a good job so far.

Larry
if the 250f is a straight bolt on then devol make a great one and should technically fit???
http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/pr...lVehParts=true

i've found of the 2 discs, it's most always the trailing one, the rear, that takes the hits.

...if you're real cheap i'm sure you could get plenty of free 250f take-offs from guys over at TT
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350

eakins screwed with this post 01-09-2011 at 08:40 PM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:38 PM   #19122
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,216
both msr & scott make billet guards that replace the brake carrier & thru-bolt on the axel. very stout. not sure about 250r fitments as far as fitting.

here's what the 250f look like:
http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/He...eaderYear=2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKDQ View Post
I had the GYTR disc guards, riding really rocky terrain (Clayton, OK) hit a rock very hard, kicked the rear end around pretty good - I was pretty proud I that I managed to save it. One of the guys I was with said "is that supposed to be like that?" referring to my rear disc guard. It was bent all to hell and broke the aluminum mounting tab off my swing arm. I'm sure my disc would have been bent if I had not have had the guard and possibly a ride ended to soon.

Now I'm looking for someone who can tig weld to repair the aluminum mounting tab.

Anyone know if the flatland disc guard uses this tab to bolt up to? Would like to find a disc guard that does not use such a fragile mount.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:12 AM   #19123
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer: 2,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawagumby View Post
Cut that threaded bolt down, Crawdaddy! That's a big DANG! just wait'n to get ya!
That was an old photo.....I don't use the bar mount ball......I rigged a mount into my bar pad and cut out the center for GPR access.....(the brake line is held away from the 60CSx with a thick zip tie so it can't catch the antenna (not obvious in the photo....it's actually ~3" behind the GPS).....~7K trouble free miles with this set up)

http://www.WhereAmIRiding.com
Crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 04:49 PM   #19124
jimrobinette
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
I use the Sandman Parts modified Acerbis guard on the front , his case saver on the countershaft , and the GYTR guard on the rear. The rear guard has been gouged, bent, dinged and all be broken off, so I think it has paid for itself.

Quote:

Any input appreciated.

TIA
jimrobinette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 05:01 PM   #19125
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,851
I've got the GYTR front and rear disk guards. Both are nicked, gouged, and have been bent and beaten pretty extensively. The front GYTR is more bling and I'd rather have a beefier one in the future, the rear is actually functional and much more solidly mounted imo.
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote