Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2011, 09:42 PM   #19786
Bgunn
Mucha distancia

Oddometer: 1,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmac View Post
Nacamiento Rd is one lane, paved and possibly one of the funnest twisty rds to ride a MC on in this country... !!

Have to add that one to the list....Looks like the scenery and weather was good. Lots of firewod, and a Sapporo to drink.

February up North has me California dreaming...
Bgunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:11 PM   #19787
Don T
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 454
Thumb Nice pictures Scottmac

Looks like a great couple of days.
Don T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 01:40 AM   #19788
Pcfly
Dude?! Seriously??

Oddometer: 1,052
Hey Scottmac.......That thing isn't a 250!! There's NO WAY that things a 250!!! Your 250R was moving like a 650!!

My heavy beast of burden had a hell'of time keeping up with you. Sweet bike man, I'm going to look for a WR250R for my second bike....you sold me!
Pcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:29 AM   #19789
BluePill
AARP Slacker

Oddometer: 4,671
Don't ya just hate it when a 'Berg goes wide on the corner and spits ice at you?

Old 02-14-2011, 06:35 AM   #19790
z@ch
Turn it up to eleven

Oddometer: 4,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBS View Post
Jumper wire to access CO mode to set EFI from the on-board instrument cluster
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardU View Post
Do you have any more information on this?

Let's get some DETAILS!
z@ch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 06:56 AM   #19791
GsVs
Goin' Somewhere

Oddometer: 1,388
Thumb

Great idea ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoprire View Post
And since I had the camera out today, I finally got pics of another addition. I got a Wolfman enduro tank bag early on. I've got and expedition on my v-strom,
and the quality can't be beat. But... not a fan of the tiny map pocket. I'm a paper map guy. Don't have a GPS, and still not sure if I want one. So the map pocket gets used a lot.
And since I can never seem to find just what I want, I made this up.

Main map pocket fits a folded 8 1/2 x 11 printed map.

Since that is still hard to cover a lot of ground w/, it unfolds to fit 2 full 8 1/2 x 11 pages.

Today was it's first use; and it worked well. I can't take credit for the idea; I borrowed it from a map case for the mtn bike.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:38 AM   #19792
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,901
CO Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by z@ch View Post
Let's get some DETAILS!
Dirtytrixx400 showed me this. He's been running the same FMF PC4 pipe as I put on for a year and does not use an aftermarket fuel programmer.

To access the controls for making these changes, you must first make a jumper wire to ground (did mine to the negative battery terminal) from the "extra" black wire in the connector for the lean angle sensor underneath the seat. There are three wires on one side of the connector that are used by the LAS and another black one on the opposite side that connects to nothing. This is probably used by the dealer to connect to Yamaha's diagnostic software.

Anyway, after you've done that, you can then enter the "CO" mode to lean out or richen up the air/fuel mixture. The range is from +30 to -30 (sixty-one possible settings including "0").

Plus numbers richen the mixture; minus number make it more lean. Mine from the factory was set at -3 and after riding a bit I changed it first to 0 and it's now set at +2. The nice thing is that you can adjust it on the fly to as many different settings as you want and it saves the last number used when the key is turned off.

To access the CO settings you do the following (after grounding the above-mentioned wire):

1. Hold down the "reset" and "select 1" buttons on the insturment cluster at the same time.

2. Turn on the key (but don't press the starter button) while continuing to hold these two buttons. After 8 seconds the display will read "diag" or something like that.

3. Once in the "diag" screen, press the "select 1" button only. The display will change to "CO"

4. Press both "reset" and "select 1" again (same as step 1) and after 3 seconds the display will show "0" on the left and "C1" on the right.

5. Again press both "reset" and "select 1" for another three seconds and the display changes to "C1" at top right with a number shown below. This number is the current CO setting (it will be somewhere from -30 to +30)

6. Now start the bike. At the top left you'll have a digital tachometer. Also, while in this mode no mileage is recorded on the odometer.

7. To change a setting, use the "select 1" button to make the numbers higher (+) or the "reset" button to make them lower (-). When you turn off the ignition the bike is set to whatever number you had set at that time.

Dirtytrixx400 told me that you can't tell anything from just blipping the throttle in the garage. So what we did was ride for a bit with the stock setting of -3. After riding for a few minutes I confirmed there was a hesitation off idle when opening the throttle.

Next we changed to a setting of 0 (three points richer) and the hesitation improved, but was still there a little.

Finally changed it to +2 and the bike RIPPED! He said I may need to tweak it a bit more later when the weather warms up. But it's very easy to do.

Yesterday I did a ride of around 180 miles (about 40 of which were trails and gravel roads) and this setting worked great. No hiccups or issues.

The mods we did to the bike included:

FMF pipe
K&N air filter
12t CS (replaced stock 13t)

Also:
Removed top of air box (including flapper, etc)
Removed EXUP system
Removed AIS system

Hope this is helpful for you.

Dirtytrixx400 is "da man" when it comes to this stuff. I just listened and learned from him. Until he told me I didn't need the aftermarket programmer, I'd hesitated about buying a pipe (since the programmers can cost as much or more than the pipe) and without changing the pipe, I saw no real need to make the other mods as the bike was running fine.

BTW the total cost for the above mods was under $300! And they transformed the bike. Now it easily wheelies over mud puddles or small logs in second and I can "steer" with the throttle in turns on gravel or dirt roads much better.

GSBS screwed with this post 02-14-2011 at 08:11 AM
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:03 AM   #19793
z@ch
Turn it up to eleven

Oddometer: 4,711
Thanks for the info!
z@ch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:24 AM   #19794
mcwbyu82
WRR'er

Oddometer: 158
This is awesome. Never been able to justify the money for a programmer.
Once you hook up the ground wire I assume you are fine to leave it connected?
Any chance of a pic just to confirm which one we are talking about?
Thanks
mcwbyu82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:45 AM   #19795
ducnek
Satisfied customer

Oddometer: 1,010
Replaced my battery with this from batteries plus:

Same rating as the stocker $80 OTD. Thats the most I have ever paid for a bike battery. I also rewired the heated grips to a switched (unused) plug under the left plastic tank cover. Its next to the fuse panel. Anyone know what this plug is for?
Old 02-14-2011, 10:38 AM   #19796
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,901
Ground wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcwbyu82 View Post
This is awesome. Never been able to justify the money for a programmer.
Once you hook up the ground wire I assume you are fine to leave it connected?
Any chance of a pic just to confirm which one we are talking about?
Thanks
Yes... just leave it connected

Don't have a photo, but when you unplug the LAS and look at the connector going to it it's obvious. The sensor side has three wires going to it and the other side has none. The one you want to ground is black and is on the side opposite the three wires that are used by the sensor. We used a small pick to allow us to pull the wire out so it could be replaced as stock if desired, then just cut a piece of wire I had and ran it to the negative battery terminal.

I'd take a photo but it's already taped back up. Really, once you unplug the sensor and have a look at both ends of the connection it'll be easy to figure out.
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:43 AM   #19797
mcwbyu82
WRR'er

Oddometer: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBS View Post
Yes... just leave it connected

Don't have a photo, but when you unplug the LAS and look at the connector going to it it's obvious. The sensor side has three wires going to it and the other side has none. The one you want to ground is black and is on the side opposite the three wires that are used by the sensor. We used a small pick to allow us to pull the wire out so it could be replaced as stock if desired, then just cut a piece of wire I had and ran it to the negative battery terminal.

I'd take a photo but it's already taped back up. Really, once you unplug the sensor and have a look at both ends of the connection it'll be easy to figure out.
Sweet. cant wait to play with it tonight. Got everything apart installing my eastern beaver 3CS anyway.
mcwbyu82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:44 AM   #19798
akula802
Oil Whisperer

Oddometer: 117
Nice photos, Scottmac! I'm not sure if it helped my cabin fever or made it worse. One of these days I'll have to ride out that way.

Welcome to the club, scoprire!

I need to stop reading this thread, like for real. Today I methadone'd my cabin fever by ordering some Wolfman saddle bags, an IMS 3-gal tank, a 46-t rear sprocket, and a new chain to gear down a bit. Last week it was the group buy on a Seat Concepts seat over on the WR/X boards. For all the mod-cash I've spent in the last year, I could have bought another bike...

It'll be a few months yet before I can take the R2 out west (or maybe North?), but hopefully when I get done drilling these oil-holes it'll be nice enough to go for a quick spring ride.

Should just move to California...

Betting the world on a pair of fives
akula802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:19 AM   #19799
mbabc
Curmudgeon trainee

Oddometer: 1,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoprire View Post
Today I was on the IN side around 11, 211, 111, old dam 43, and some of the little roads in between.

Today was an example of why I wanted the WR... when I look at a map, I seem to keep looking for the smallest roads listed.

Most of my rides end up being the long way home. Sometimes around Taylorsville, Shepherdsville, Bardstown. Once in awhile, I end up towards Madison.

You ever ride any of the gravel roads around the Hoosier national forest? I've been wanting to get up there for awhile.
I'm in the Highlands. I was over across the river myself Sunday. Played the Indiana photo tag and trying out my 'seat concepts' install. Love it, but still probably use my sheepskin on top too. Never seen another wr around town, so I'll be looking for you guys. Heck, we outa show up at King Fish some Wednesday night to impress the bike night crowd.

I don't know what time it is, I've switched to kilometers
mbabc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:39 AM   #19800
bash3r
I ain't no DingWeed

Oddometer: 1,721
Wolfman Enduro Saddlebags

I thought I'd offer up my Wolfman Enduro Saddlebags to me fellow WR crew first before putting them in the Flea Market.. If you are interested please PM me. Here's a photo, they are in great condition, a little more "used" looking than these photos. I'll send current photos when I take some tonight to those interested.

$85 Shipped to 48 CONUS.

Selling because I purchased larger Expedition saddlebags. These are great bags to keep on the bike for commuting or day/weekend trips. They served me well..

Adventure Tshirts | 3 Step Hideaway |Campground POIs
bash3r is offline   Reply With Quote