Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2011, 03:46 PM   #19966
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,858
You can send the whole deal to Travis at Go-Race Suspensions in VA for a rebuild and custom revalve. Race Tech also makes fork and shock kits for the bike. A local suspension tuner could probably play with the valving for you as well.

Me, I was just happy with having everything rebuilt to stock with fresh, slightly heavier, fluid on both ends and finally getting the sag set correctly.
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 03:58 PM   #19967
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,497
I am asking because I cant find second hand rear shock to send out. I still ride the thing.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:59 PM   #19968
kawagumby
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 762
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa View Post
I am asking because I cant find second hand rear shock to send out. I still ride the thing.
The WRR rear shock design seems to be limited to this bike. I have a WR250F (and an extra yz250f shock) and made some comparisons. Unlike nearly all other jap off-road bikes, the reservoir is on the left instead of the right and it's of smaller diameter. It looks like it has a different stroke and is tied to a unusual linkage ratio that uses a rear spring that is much stiffer than most off-road bikes use for similar weight carrying. So I think you're out of luck for a backup from another bike - but a revalve doesn't take much time.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:11 PM   #19969
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Thanks for that information.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:13 PM   #19970
kawagumby
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 762
Quote:
Originally Posted by skierd View Post
Race Tech also makes fork and shock kits for the bike.
Has anyone here tried their shock gold valve kit for the WRR? That'd be a way to go for some of us. I've used their gold valve kits for other bikes and they've been pretty good ( a little pricey tho').
Old 02-21-2011, 05:17 PM   #19971
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 45,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluePill View Post
Hey Flug - Just get a nitrous kit. You only ride 200 miles a year, so a bottle ought to last ya forever.

Who loves ya, Baby?

what can I say. if anything could get me out on it more it would be the ability to wheelie that thing effortlessly like the guy in the video for the turbo.

anyone know if that turbo has come any further?

that guy still at it?

was that WRR or WRX?
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 05:48 PM   #19972
Chadx
Off the road again..

Oddometer: 2,169
Let me google that for you: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=wr250r+wr250x+turbo

It was an X. Kits are now available according to their website so you can call or email them. http://www.mpfab.com/wr250/

Chadx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 06:05 PM   #19973
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

so if it fits on x, should fit on r too
Old 02-21-2011, 06:07 PM   #19974
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Old 02-21-2011, 06:23 PM   #19975
BluePill
AARP Slacker

Oddometer: 4,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa View Post
so if it fits on x, should fit on r too
I think the reason that MPF touted it for the X is that there is a lot of exposed plumbing on the kit that would be vulnerable in normal off-road usage. That aside, yes it should fit fine on an R. No reason that a guard kit couldn't be made up for woods use, but it would make the bike's profile wider.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:28 PM   #19976
BluePill
AARP Slacker

Oddometer: 4,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug View Post

what can I say. if anything could get me out on it more it would be the ability to wheelie that thing effortlessly like the guy in the video for the turbo.
If you will loan me your engine, I have an idea...................................

Old 02-21-2011, 06:31 PM   #19977
Chadx
Off the road again..

Oddometer: 2,169
Quote:
I think the reason that MPF touted it for the X is that there is a lot of exposed plumbing on the kit that would be vulnerable in normal off-road usage....it would make the bike's profile wider.
That and a turbo's power delivery and power (50+ hp) would be all but useless in the woods. Maybe desert riding. Paddle anyone? But then, with a paddle you are getting into a dedicated bike rather than a dual sport so just use a WR450F or a 600+cc for desert. I can't imagine why a turbo would be wanted for the R. I can (kind of ) see it for the X if you are into that kind of thing and have plenty of money (2 grand or more). Except for the cool factor, I submit that there isn't any reason to turbo an X. There are many bikes that would get you the horsepower and torque in a more economical and reliable package than putting a turbo on this bike. Oh, I'd love to try one, but wouldn't want to own it.
Chadx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 06:57 PM   #19978
mcwbyu82
WRR'er

Oddometer: 158
A day of firsts!

So after a rainy weekend the skies cleared and I was finally able to get out for my first real ride of the year. Having spent the last few weeks toying around with the bike at night this turned out to be a ride of many firsts for me. I headed out to a place called West Mountain to explore (also a first) and it left me way excited. I can be on dirt in about 10 minutes from my house and from what I saw today there is many many rides worth of roads and trails to explore over there. Heres the "firsts":
First ride with new Seat Concepts seat. Love it. That extra width makes all the difference in the world

First ride with heated grips. Why did I wait so long to install these? Been sitting on the shelf for 6 months

First ride with GPS. Picked up a Lowrance XOG on closeout. Really happy so far. I didn't load any special maps/ tracks for this ride so once I hit the dirt I just started a breadcrumb trail and was able to follow it back out. Touch screen is surprisingly responsive with big thick gloves on. Gonna export my trail and overlay on google earth tonight.

First trial of my Wolfman Saddle Bags. Was just a quick trip so they werent very full but worked flawlessly. A shoutout to High Five for the under the seat idea and the standoff bracket on exhaust side.

First motorcycle ride in snow. Lots of mud and snow up there. At first it was clear/muddy on sunny sides and snowy on the shadier sides. But once I got high enough it was just snow on top of ice. Eventually forced me to turn around as seen in a pic below. Fun times

Some pics

mcwbyu82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:28 PM   #19979
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,709
Hey yall!! This weekend was my first dirt outing with my R²!!! Of course my friend with the KTM 640 Adventure couldn't get his bike to start so I had to go solo. After 40 miles of highway at 70+mph I made it to the off road park and started to have fun. I have a GoPro and as soon as I figure out how to edit the videos I'll post some stuff.

I had been out here with my F800GS before and it was a real chore. With the R² I was tearing it up and doing all sort of crazy stuff. I was kinda worried about the motor since I was WFO on the highway and going to redline doing hill climbs at the park... but when I got home everything sounded normal and looked great!!!

Woot!!!!
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:28 PM   #19980
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 45,510
Quote:
I think the reason that MPF touted it for the X is that there is a lot of exposed plumbing on the kit that would be vulnerable in normal off-road usage. That aside, yes it should fit fine on an R. No reason that a guard kit couldn't be made up for woods use, but it would make the bike's profile wider.
that would be a problem getting it out of my living room.
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote