User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2011, 04:50 AM   #20431
SR1
Back in S. Korea

Oddometer: 4,373
Help me DS my WR250X

Ok guys, I need a little help. I'll make some dealers very happy this year, but oh well. As a side effect of my overseas work I do all my bike shopping in short hot flourishes. Time to outfit my WR250x for dirt! Specifically, working up to the TAT and other similar trails is the idea. Please help me go though this and make sure I'm not missing essentials without going overboard, in no particular order, and with few brand names so far:

Dirt wheels from Wheeling/rotors
dirt tires
radiator guard
header/exhaust
muffler
programmer
skidplate
better pegs
better seat
maybe a sprocket/chain change
handguards (already on the bike, otherwise it's stock)
bigger tank (3gal)

That's about all I can think of that it "needs." I have a GL Coyote for it, so no rack is necessary. I would like the "big headlight" but not sure where to get it or if it's worth the work. I'm only 5'8" but don't feel intimidated by the height at all (I also ride a GS). I might lower it within the stock adjustment, but that's about it.
Old 03-12-2011, 05:27 AM   #20432
Frankko
Midnight Rambler

Oddometer: 657
Wr

You on R&R? I am going to the states in November (I hope). Looking at the WR real hard.

Light, FI and bullet proof. If you can have any bike in the world and you have a WR then they must be pretty good!!

Snow melting today, I can see the brown on the mountains....
Old 03-12-2011, 05:42 AM   #20433
debaisley
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by YamRZ350 View Post
What brand / size tires are those?
They are Duro HF918 , rear is 140/70 - 17 , front is 110/70 - 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug View Post
pictures like that make me in not os much of a hurry to sell mine. how much did the wheels sell for?
$1050 for the wheels , and $180 for the rotors. It seemed like a lot at first , but its like having 2 different motorcycles,and these wheels are top notch construction. Forrest at Wheeling is the man , he threw in some sprocket bolts , anodized wheel spacers and a T-shirt into the box with the wheels , I didnt ask for them.
debaisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 06:21 AM   #20434
jglow
Two wheeled traveler

Oddometer: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBrian View Post
In my head I'm saying WTF, get on with it....

How long does it take for a company that makes fuel tanks to make a fuel tank??!!
That's what I am sayin'. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a Safari. Figured the new IMS 4.5 wasn't so cut and dry, and maybe I didn't want to be a beta tester.

jordan
jglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 10:57 AM   #20435
Milosh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by debaisley View Post
Replaced white plastics with black , seat concept seats , and the supermoto wheels from Wheeling Cycle Suppy are the sh!t

What tank is that?
Milosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 12:25 PM   #20436
Jäger
Osons

Oddometer: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR1 View Post
Ok guys, I need a little help. I'll make some dealers very happy this year, but oh well. As a side effect of my overseas work I do all my bike shopping in short hot flourishes. Time to outfit my WR250x for dirt! Specifically, working up to the TAT and other similar trails is the idea...
The Coyote was a good choice. Or at least probably will be if you're from a combat arms background used to living out of minimal rucksack room. It'll be "Oh wow... look at all the space!". And the fact it takes about 20 seconds to take the GL off and throw it over your shoulder is a big plus as well. I don't find myself space challenged with mine at all, although it does get close once I start bringing wading boots, waders, and other fly fishing equipment along.

Tank bag - you no likey? I have a Wolfman Explorer Lite, a popular choice from looking at pictures on the Web. I don't have any real complaints about it, other than the minor annoyance of it making it awkward to refuel. But if I were buying again tomorrow, I would buy a Giant Loop Fandango tank bag.

Fender bag for tubes and tire change tools? Some do, some don't, some don't need. I have a Moose, no complaints, frees up space elsewhere.

You a tool tube kind of guy? Threads and posts here and there about those as well. Most of them for this bike are a takeoff on a welding rod tube, there is at least one commercial offering.

Rear rack, you no likey? I have and like the Nomadic Cycle Racks (EBay "bbq rack"), but I'm in the minority with that. I ran the Coyote without a rear rack, decided the system worked much better with a rear rack, even a really small one, for a little stability if you strap on a few extra things like fly rod, butterfly chair, etc. The EBay rack is not always available, but it is quite small which I like. When I need a bigger surface, I simply have a big cutting board with appropriate slots and holes - zip tie it over the EBay rack and instant large surface rack. Ten seconds with a Gerber multi-tool, and I have a tiny rear rack again. Zip ties are cheap... so are plastic cutting boards...

Lowering. I'm the same height as you, but not quite a 30" inseam. Suggest you go with a YamaLink as many of us have. That will drop it an inch for you, and supposedly give you better hook up (I don't give 'er hard enough to have an opinion on that). If you find you still want to lower it a bit, then you can go another inch with the built in adjustment in the bike. And a lowered seat from Seat Concepts. This year I'll have an extra bit of lowering to go with the YamaLink through the Seat Concepts aftermarket; if that doesn't finally make me feel comfortable, then I'll use that free inch of lowering built into the bike.

Seat. We just had a Seat Concepts group buy over on the WR250R forum - I think it came in at the replacement seat costing $123 or something like that for the 48 people who participated. More importantly, everyone who got the Seat Concepts replacement, either normal size or the low seat, is raving about the comfort over a long riding day.

Tires. Seems rider/location dependent. Skierd has probably tried more tires than anyone else I can think of, over a wider range of conditions than probably anybody else. I run the Trail Wings, but my riding is true 50/50 and like Chadx, I find them very good for the dry, mostly hard roads in this part of Montana and SE BC. If you see lots of mud, slop, and sand... not so much. The D606 is probably far and away the most common replacement.

Rad guard and bash plate. I have B&B for a rad guard and a Ricochet bash plate. That's a common setup with this bike and I'm pretty happy with it. Others take a different approach and argue that the big aftermarket gas tank is the best way to protect the rad at the same time. My rad guard has worked for me, but I did do the zip tie attachment you'll read about here after Chadx's experience. B&B and Ricochet are two common bash plate choices; I went Ricochet there, for reasons I can't remember now.

Handguards. Highway Dirt Bikes is popular these days. I run Cycra Pro Bends using the triple clamp attachment method, another common choice. I don't have pics, but it is the same as Big Dog who I think has pics of his build up on here somewhere, or at least on his website. His build is well worth looking at.

Didn't see case savers/sprocket guard on your list. vwsandman is an inmate here making really high quality stuff. Many of us here have bought his offerings and are delighted with them. Big thumbs up for him.

Wheel set. Forrest at Wheeling gets nothing but praise on any of these forums, and in my dealings with him he has been exemplary.

Brake stuff. You didn't mention disk guards, caliper guards, etc. I'm using GYTR front and rear disc guards, pretty common setup I haven't heard any complaints about. I've decided I'm pretty safe without caliper guards considering where I ride - your mileage on this and the disk guards may vary.

Aftermarket pegs. Pivot Pegz are a popular choice, as are Roc Stompa (sp?). The Fastway Evolution II F5 pegs have all kinds of positioning adjustments in them, I've looked at that a time or two - http://tinyurl.com/4fvw7c7. I'm kinda okay with the stock pegs so far while I addressed my biggest problem (the seat), so I have no personal input on what works with pegs yet.

Sprocket/chain combos. Lots run stock. Dropping the front to a 12 tooth instead of 13 is perhaps the most common mod here. A few are going the other way for chain life and concerns about wear on the swingarm, running a 14 tooth in the front and anything from a 47 on up in the rear. When I wear my current stuff out, not having a lot of gnarly single track out here, I'll be buying something like 14 - 47/49. Go find GearingCommander on the web, play with the interactive settings for the WR, and see what gearing combination would work best for you. It will allow you to compensate for different tires as well, so you can find what your actual ratios will be with the tires of your choice: http://www.gearingcommander.com/

Pipes, headers, programmers... I run stock and it works fine for me so I have no opinion here. It seems FMF is the Microsoft of the WR250R aftermarket exhaust world. You'll find lots of posts covering that to read.

And finally... if you're thinking three gallon tank, you're probably thinking IMS. Lots of threads on that as well. I run with a 3.1 gal fuel blivet. I like having something that takes up no more room than necessary - if I only need a spare gallon and a bit for the ride, the fuel blivet is only that big. And, when empty, you roll them up like a burrito and just stow them away. If I was buying again, I would probably buy the new 5 gallon version: http://tinyurl.com/4rjqofp It's simply two different views and approaches to the same problem.

That's the best I can do to help you here. Lots of info in this rather massive thread. A more granular approach to subject matter regarding farkles, aftermarket parts, etc can be found over at the WR250R forum website: http://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/

Between this thread and that forum, I think you'll find most of the info you need - and the people who will answer your questions - to make informed choices on how you decide to set your bike up. Find Big Dog's thread or website on his WR setup before he headed out on the TAT as well.

And... have fun out there.
Jäger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 12:30 PM   #20437
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,900
Fredericktown Yamaha called a minute ago. Said they don't think the pump is priming.

Still looking into it, other theories include foiled plug/bad coil, voltage regulator due to the heated gear coax plug and GPS leads (possible I guess, but the first I've heard going bad on these bikes), or something else.
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 12:50 PM   #20438
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,900
My advice...

dirt tires

I'll save you $1000. Buy a set of Shinko 244's for the X wheels. Not the best in mud, but the mud on the TAT doesn't seem to care much what tires you run. They last forever and have good grip on everything else. I have also grown to appreciate the stock trailwings on the stock dirt wheels however, they hate mud but for hard pack and rocks they're good tires. IMO the shinko's are a bargain upgrade of the OEM tires that are better in mud.

radiator guard
Force Accessories out of Australia or Flatlands. I've had both, comparable parts, work great. Force was easier to install.

header/exhaust
muffler
programmer

I'll save you another $700. Stay stock and stay quiet, and get better gas mileage to boot. A lot of the TAT goes through rural neighborhoods, at least in the east.

skidplate
Flatlands, Thumpertalk, Force, B+B, all are very good items. I've had the flatland and the thumpertalk plate, both are strong and mount easy.

better pegs
Can't help ya there, HighFive and others like the Fastway f5's especially since they can be mounted lower for more leg room and angled for comfort. Others like pivot pegz. Others like the cheap wide option from DRC.

better seat
I like the stock seat, especially with an alaskan leather sheepskin butt pad. Otherwise I'd get the seat concepts. Maybe the new wider sargent when it comes out...

Steel sprockets last forever, RK XSO X-ring chains too. I'm running 13/46 with a 110L chain on mine currently, its a nice ratio with taller than stock rear tires like the D606 I'm running. Not sure how that translates to an X with shinko's.

handguards
Can't kill my Moose mini guards (mounted on Protaper SE Yamaha mini bars). Lots of people like cycra's with the triple mount, or Highway Dirt Bike handguards.

bigger tank (3gal)
Probably my favorite mod, makes the bike much easier to commute with. You'll still need to bring gas for the western TAT or learn to love hypermiling.

I'd add a tank bag as well. So freakin useful for the items you use all the time.

I'd like to get a fender bag myself to carry spare tubes, they're space hogs otherwise and last better when they can sleep by themselves.

I also have the GYTR disk guards. They're nicked up and have been beaten pretty well, but my disks aren't. And they look cool. I'd probably get the B+B version if I were to do it again.

VWSandman's case saver is great piece-of-mind.

Quote:
Ok guys, I need a little help. I'll make some dealers very happy this year, but oh well. As a side effect of my overseas work I do all my bike shopping in short hot flourishes. Time to outfit my WR250x for dirt! Specifically, working up to the TAT and other similar trails is the idea. Please help me go though this and make sure I'm not missing essentials without going overboard, in no particular order, and with few brand names so far:

dirt tires
radiator guard
header/exhaust
muffler
programmer
skidplate
better pegs
better seat
handguards (already on the bike, otherwise it's stock)
bigger tank (3gal)

That's about all I can think of that it "needs." I have a GL Coyote for it, so no rack is necessary. I would like the "big headlight" but not sure where to get it or if it's worth the work. I'm only 5'8" but don't feel intimidated by the height at all (I also ride a GS). I might lower it within the stock adjustment, but that's about it.
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 01:04 PM   #20439
debaisley
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by milosh View Post
what tank is that?
ims 3.1
debaisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 01:44 PM   #20440
SR1
Back in S. Korea

Oddometer: 4,373
Thanks for the feedback guys!

Gotta have a 21" front wheel at least. Sooo much easier to keep pointed in the right direction in a rut or pop over something.

On the exhaust, I recently got a chance to ride a couple of otherwise identical 250's with and without the mods, I liked the snappiness of the bikes with the exhaust mods, I'll go ahead and swap it out. I've done "nothing" to bling my GS, it came pre-blinged...this is more of a toy for me anyway.

GREAT feedback on guards to both of you.
Old 03-12-2011, 02:09 PM   #20441
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,701
Quote:

My vote on handguards: Moose (Enduro Engineering) for low cost high strength/simple using stock bars, Highway Dirt Bikes setup for higher cost more utility/adds places for switches/plugs etc. but requires new bars

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 04:01 PM   #20442
br0m
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Blue 10 and a white 08 250R in the Aussie bush

Did a lap around a friends farm and realised it was to wet so we thought we'd go find somewhere else, the adventure only stars when you don't know when your going I realised I need some better tyres, the stock ones turn to slicks in the clay, meet up with some friends for a BBQ afterwards on the farm, great day

br0m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 04:13 PM   #20443
dirthauler
rolling rototiller

Oddometer: 1,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardWorkingDog View Post
My vote on handguards: Moose (Enduro Engineering) for low cost high strength/simple using stock bars, Highway Dirt Bikes setup for higher cost more utility/adds places for switches/plugs etc. but requires new bars
i opted for the zeta xc gaurds with the flashers in em, way trick just got a set of excel a 60 rims and spoke sets on their way can't wait

happy that there is now a maine small bikes thread
dirthauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 07:56 PM   #20444
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,680
Quote:

Gotta have a 21" front wheel at least. Sooo much easier to keep pointed in the right direction in a rut or pop over something.

On the exhaust, I recently got a chance to ride a couple of otherwise identical 250's with and without the mods, I liked the snappiness of the bikes with the exhaust mods, I'll go ahead and swap it out. I've done "nothing" to bling my GS, it came pre-blinged...this is more of a toy for me anyway.

You go Steve!! Welcome to the club..
Old 03-12-2011, 08:07 PM   #20445
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 6,155
never mind.