Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2008, 03:59 PM   #196
montesa_vr
Legend in his own mind

Oddometer: 1,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by advrod
Hi everyone. I just checked the Yamaha Motors usa website and was surprised to see no WR250 R or X for 2009. Does anyone know whats going on? Is Yamaha not selling the bikes. I only saw the xt250 and tw200 models listed for next year.
What's going on? It's June, that's what's going on. If you find next year's models on a manufacturer's web site in June it means they aren't making any changes, they sold out early, or it's a new model being introduced early. In other words, it's very unusual to see next year's model announced in June. Don't panic.

By the way, the opposite situation isn't as meaningful as people make it out to be either. When the model listed on the web site continues to be listed a year behind the others, it might mean that model is discontinued. It also might mean there were so many of last year's models left over there was no point in announcing bold new graphics.

montesa_vr screwed with this post 06-07-2008 at 04:14 PM
montesa_vr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 01:19 AM   #197
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,214
I'm stuffed if I'm reading this whole thread, so apologies if this is already out there.
Just talking with an inmate and he's been on the phone to Aqualine (Australia, maker of Safari tanks) and they have purchased a WR250R to develop an aftermarket tank to extend the fuel range. No more details at this time, but stay tuned.
GodSilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 02:51 AM   #198
rosscoact
need constant supervision

Oddometer: 5,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodSilla
I'm stuffed if I'm reading this whole thread, so apologies if this is already out there.
Just talking with an inmate and he's been on the phone to Aqualine (Australia, maker of Safari tanks) and they have purchased a WR250R to develop an aftermarket tank to extend the fuel range. No more details at this time, but stay tuned.
one more piece of the puzzle falls into place

www.transaustraliatrail.com.au
rosscoact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 01:44 PM   #199
Gargoyle
Trail Jester

Oddometer: 1,142
Quote:
Please do keep us posted on this. I sure would like to put a larger tank on mine.
Berkshire Trail Riders on Facebook or follow me on Twitter
Gargoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 07:10 PM   #200
Sock Monkey OP
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,875
Got some more off-road time on her....

I took the little blue beast up into the mountains this weekend to scout out some fishing/camping spots, and thought I'd share my thoughts on how she did on some nastier tracks. Everything was two track, although some hadn't seen 4 wheels in a while. Most was about like this:

Overall, I was really surprised by the suspension more than anything. Rocks/washes/ruts that would have sent my KTM suspension deflecting all over the place barely registered as bumps on the Yammy. Of course, the KTM suspension was a lot stiffer since it was made to go over rough terrain at a racing pace versus a plonkers pace, but still, I was pleasantly surprised. The rear end got a little skittery at times, so I have to get that sorted, but it wasn't anything that caused any real issues. I'm guessing it's either too much comp damping or too little rebound damping (both are set at the stock setting), or a bit of both.

The motor is still surprising me. I find first gear to be a real granny gear for pretty much everything, and off-road wasn't any different. No worries though, I just used 2nd and the little motor pulled me up stuff that I thought for sure would cause it to flame out. I used very little clutch, and just let the motor pull. Sure, I'd like a bit more low-end torque, but for a plugged up, street legal bike with a honeycomb cat converter stuck in its tailpipe, it did really well!

Since the excuse...errr, reason...for the trip was to scout out some fishin' holes, I better throw up a few pics of what I found:

Yep, that'll do nicely.

Overall, the bike performed great. Going back up the mountain, the radiator fan was running pretty much non-stop, but I never got her to boil. Considering it was a bit warm out (around 80F), and it was pretty slow going over some of the nastier bits, I'm surprised the single radiator didn't start filling the overflow bottle.

Well, that's about it. One final "hero" pic of the bike after a hard day at work.

-NoVector
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 07:30 PM   #201
sloth!
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
that crossing looks very familiar. Where is it?
sloth! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 07:49 PM   #202
Sock Monkey OP
Corporate slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloth!
that crossing looks very familiar. Where is it?
It's in the central Sierras, crossing the N Fork of the Stanislaus River. Do you know that area? If so, I'd love to get more tips of places to ride/camp/fish up there. Nice country.

-NoVector
Old 06-09-2008, 08:07 PM   #203
reconsmr
Banned

Oddometer: 1,522
After reading the test in a magazine and some recent comments, this bike seems more geared towards plonking than aggro trail speeds, correct? A mag just noted about a 20-30% lower output than a WR250f, sound about right? Suspension lacks compusure in higher speed trail pace? Thanks.
reconsmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 08:11 PM   #204
Jedi
The bikeless wonder

Oddometer: 231
Quote:
This was one of the few threads I DID read from start to finish.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:37 PM   #205
Sock Monkey OP
Corporate slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconsmr
After reading the test in a magazine and some recent comments, this bike seems more geared towards plonking than aggro trail speeds, correct? A mag just noted about a 20-30% lower output than a WR250f, sound about right? Suspension lacks compusure in higher speed trail pace? Thanks.
Honestly, I don't see anything holding you back from aggressive trail riding with this bike, provided you don't mean racing. If you do mean racing, then I think you'd need stiffer suspension or you'd be blowing through the available travel on big hits, and then bad things can happen.

As far as composure is concerned, I'd actually say the opposite based on my experience so far, at least once the shock is dialed in. I found the forks to be excellent at taking some decent hits (water bars across the track in the shadows where I hit them at speed, basketball+ size rocks half exposed in shadows and hit at speed, etc.) and not deflecting at all. The bike stayed on course with no drama. The only thing I found issue with was the shock, but I haven't done jack to set it up properly. Let's put it this way, with both my KTM and my DRZ before that, I put a Scotts steering damper on to control the deflection from the trail trash, and based on what I've found so far, I have no intention of putting one of those on the WRR because I don't see the need.

As far as the power goes, I think it depends on who you believe. I've heard numbers like 29hp at the rear wheel for the WRR with a new pipe (one with no EXUP or cat converter) and opened up airbox (no funny flapper thingy), and that matches what I've read for the WRF. I have no reason to dispute those numbers, but I think the jury is still out until a reputable source (i.e. trade pub, etc.) does some testing and reports their findings. Until then, I'll believe my seat of the pants dyno, and it says the power is great for what I'm using the bike for, and if I can get a few more ft lbs of grunt out of the low end with a pipe/airbox/EFI remap, then I may do that at some point down the road.

In the end, if you want a race bike, buy a race bike. There are some excellent choices out there (Husky and KTM if you want street legal, or any of the gazillion MX bikes if street legal doesn't matter). However, if you want a dualsport that can bomb around all day long off road (or plonk along, your choice) and then ride it home on the road (rural or highway), so far I think the WRR is a pretty good choice.

-NoVector
Old 06-09-2008, 08:44 PM   #206
sensai
master

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVector
Since the excuse...errr, reason...for the trip was to scout out some fishin' holes, I better throw up a few pics of what I found:

-NoVector
Yeah man, I'd love to drift a size 16 - 22 fly on my 3 weight rod down through that little run....bet I'd hook up on a nice trout. Slow drift right behind a couple of those rocks or through one of those eddy's.

I've fished a few spots up there but not that particular one.

Gone:
2002 Yamaha R1
1994 Honda CBR 900RR
1992 Kawasaki Ninja Zx-7
1989 Suzuki GSX-R 750
1986 Kawasaki Ninja 600R
sensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 10:51 AM   #207
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,214
Does anyone know the output of the stator on these WR250R's?
I'm curious if there is enough spare juice to run heated handgrips (it's winter here so it's topical). Thanks.
GodSilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 11:04 AM   #208
Bulldogs2k
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Question

Would I be able to use this bike for hare scrambles/enduros? I would like to up grade dp bikes from my crf230L to the yammie but would like to do some races. I'm not expecting to win, just finish....
Bulldogs2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 11:09 AM   #209
Hannda
Short, fat, bearded, slow

Oddometer: 26,771
Quote:
Does anyone know the output of the stator on these WR250R's?
I'm curious if there is enough spare juice to run heated handgrips (it's winter here so it's topical). Thanks.
I found this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade
Alternator Output

Anybody notice the alternator output on this bike? I did. 350W @ 5000 rpm.

How kick ass is that!
Hannda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 12:31 PM   #210
sloth!
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVector
It's in the central Sierras, crossing the N Fork of the Stanislaus River. Do you know that area? If so, I'd love to get more tips of places to ride/camp/fish up there. Nice country.

-NoVector
off of 4 in calaveras? I am from tuolumne county the next county south, there are quite a few places on 108 that are nice for camping/fishing.
sloth! is offline   Reply With Quote