Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,827
Just for the hell of it.

DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 06:27 PM   #23762
bhd1223
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
I'm alright. It's too bad the seat wasn't on my chest. That would have been easy. Instead I had the engine/frame on my chest.

The chain is not the original. It's a Primary Drive X-ring w/ clip master link.
Keeping the Vulcan for now. The ladies seem to love it.
bhd1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 06:54 PM   #23763
rydnseek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by trav72 View Post
Meh, no need for a rivet ML on this little bike. If you have it and a chain tool then great. If not, a clip will do just fine.
+1. Not that much torque to rip the chain off. Just make sure the closed part of the link is going forward, so if you clip something, it doesn't bump it off. I've been in lots of mud, rocks, water, & other miscellaneous terrain, & not had a clip come off.. yet..
rydnseek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 06:58 PM   #23764
GotMojo?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhd1223 View Post
I'm alright. It's too bad the seat wasn't on my chest. That would have been easy. Instead I had the engine/frame on my chest.

The chain is not the original. It's a Primary Drive X-ring w/ clip master link.
Working on bikes can be dangerous... back when I had my Ninja 250R, I had it up on the rear stand and was behind the bike moving it in the garage when it slipped off one of the swingarm spools and fell over on my leg... the corner of the license plate made a nice inch long pretty deep gash just above my knee and I had to go to the ER for 6 stitches. Had a long ride planned that day and needless to say it didn't happen. I'm much more careful working on the bike nowadays!
GotMojo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:11 PM   #23765
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,900
HELP! Tube question for those running MT-43 rear tires...

Last week I mounted up a MT-43 rear on my WR-R. Love the tire so far, except that today I had a flat and had a helluva time fixing it solo on the roadside. But that's another story.

Anyway, tomorrow I'm going to buy a new tube and my question is what kind to buy? Regular, Heavy Duty, or Extra Heavy Duty?

I was told I should run 12-14 psi on the street with this tire and that higher pressure would cause premature wear in the middle. I split the difference and set it at 13 psi cold (Accugage that's always been spot on).

When I mounted it I used a tube that had a patch on it on the outside (facing the tire tread). It's one that had gotten a puncture from a finishing nail that I'd patched last year and had done fine for over 6K miles in two D606s running 25-30 psi most of the time for the road.

I know I should have put in a new one, but it was all I had at the time and held up fine for the first three rides - around 400 miles.

Anyway, today coming back home after about 75 miles at 55-60 on backroads the rear got squirmy and when I pulled over it was flat. When I got the tube out the leak was at the patch and the patch had gotten so hot it looked discolored and melted. Didn't look at all that way when I put it in last week.

So, I'm assuming that the low pressure + Alabama summertime + sustained road speeds is generating mega-heat, right?

I've always read that you don't want to run the really heavy duty tubes running low pressure on the road due to heat buildup, but I want a more robust tube to avoid pinch flats. What to do?

What are you guys running in the MT-43s?

Thanks!
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:18 PM   #23766
bhd1223
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Got the master link off. Just took some fiddling with a very small and then small screwdriver. It's like the X-rings were suctioning the plate on. All is well now though.
Keeping the Vulcan for now. The ladies seem to love it.
bhd1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:07 AM   #23767
Luke308
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
Yet another good word for the WRR to add with the thousands of others in this thread. Took a ride near Red & White Mountain a couple days ago (North of Vail, CO) and the bike performed flawlessly. I'm a noob at tougher offroad riding and usually stick to simple forest roads and the like, but this ride definitely was a learning experience in that arena. Had to make a few bypasses around downed trees and had to drag the bike over logs and roots - extremely thankful this bike is light enough to manhandle around obstacles. Needless to say my previous '01 KLR 650 would have NEVER gotten me back into the areas I was able to go with the WRR. The KLR's weight and gearing would have had me defeated in a very short amount of time. Concerning the roads and area it is a very beautiful area and is covered with single track and ATV trails. For you Colorado folk, if you've never been up this way you def need to check it out. Great place for camping too.

On the ride I made a few tactical errors and while riding alone, went down trails that were very steep (in my inexperienced eyes anyway) and that I didn't have a hope of riding bike up again. In one situation I was faced with a hill that I had a hard time riding down (it was even hard to walk down it without losing your footing) and expected there to be no way back up again. I considered power walking the bike up the hill, cutting through the forest and switch-backing my way up again, or follow the ever dwindling trail and get hopelessly stuck even farther into the woods. Well I didn't like any of those options so I decided I'd just make a run for the hill and even if I only made it halfway up, I'd only have to drag the bike up the last half. So I backed up a good little ways and ran for the hill, with surprise and joy the little blue WRR drug me up the hill without a single bit of fuss! I hear some people complain about low end power on the WRR but multiple times throughout the day it was more than enough to save me from steep, slick, and rocky sections of road and to keep me out of trouble. With a heavier bike or one with inadequate gearing I would probably still be in those woods somewhere...

On the way back home I hit I-70 for about 20 miles and the WRR comfortably rocketed me along at 75mph without a fuss either. Talk about a versatile bike!

And for those interested the Wolfman Enduro bags worked very well and without a hitch. The D606's were excellent and pulled me through everything I threw at them. No complaints whatsoever!

My nickname for the WRR: The little blue bike that could....

Luke308 screwed with this post 08-10-2011 at 08:12 AM
Luke308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:33 AM   #23768
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer: 2,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBS View Post
Anyway, tomorrow I'm going to buy a new tube and my question is what kind to buy? Regular, Heavy Duty, or Extra Heavy Duty?
I run Bridgestone Ultra Heavy Duty tubes......and generally run the front and rear around 10PSI.....sometime lower in the back......I've run for days at sustained 50-60+ speeds at ~10 PSI, like last years Kings of the West ride, without issue....
http://www.WhereAmIRiding.com
Crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:37 AM   #23769
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by rydnseek View Post
Did you wheelie around those narrow ledges, Chris?
Here's a video one of the riders shot....it's from the bottom of the gorge up to the rock that juts out in the trail.......I was leading the group......you can hear me on the radio once I reached the rock saying, "the risk/reward isn't there for me......I'm walking it around this rock" ........the trail goes another ~half mile from there and eventually turns up right above the gorge......

http://vimeo.com/27514516

Crawdaddy screwed with this post 08-10-2011 at 08:46 AM
Old 08-10-2011, 08:38 AM   #23770
GSBS
FunHog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
I run Bridgestone Ultra Heavy Duty tubes......and generally run the front and rear around 10PSI.....sometime lower in the back......I've run for days at sustained 50-60+ speeds at ~10 PSI, like last years Kings of the West ride, without issue....
Thanks!
Old 08-10-2011, 08:46 AM   #23771
GSBS
FunHog

Quote:
One more question...

Looking at the Bridgestone Ultra HD tubes, I find two sizes in 18" tubes - 100/100 and 110/100. Which ones are you running in the MT-43s?

GSBS screwed with this post 08-10-2011 at 08:54 AM
Old 08-10-2011, 08:53 AM   #23772
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsbs View Post
one more question...

Looking at the bridgestone ultra hd tubes, i find two sizes in 18" tubes - 100/100 and 110/100. Which ones are you running in the mt-43s?
Old 08-10-2011, 08:55 AM   #23773
GSBS
FunHog

Quote:
Thanks so much... ordering a couple now!
Old 08-10-2011, 09:09 AM   #23774
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke308 View Post
Yet another good word for the WRR to add with the thousands of others in this thread. Took a ride near Red & White Mountain a couple days ago (North of Vail, CO) and the bike performed flawlessly...
Nice photos! Wish I was in Colorado right now...

Thanks for putting them up

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:11 AM   #23775
malibu_dan
Adventuring Mystic

Oddometer: 1,487
Quote:
I was leading the group......you can hear me on the radio once I reached the rock saying, "the risk/reward isn't there for me......I'm walking it around this rock" .......
I'll say it, "You're frikkin' nuts, Chris!!!"