Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2008, 10:56 PM   #226
Sock Monkey OP
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by advrod
$5899.00 around here. It seems stealers are sticking to sticker price. I have my eye on a 250R and haven't seen em advertised in local cycle trader yet. I plan to get one in two months and I am curious to know what dealer invoice is.Has anyone use Cyclebuy dot com for dealer invocie info?Do you reccomend it?. I also checked out Kelly blue book and they listed 4899.00 as a starting negotiating price for the WR250R. I think thats a good price considering all the bs taxes/fees stearlers pile up. Plan on letting you all know what goes down when am ready to buy.
The KBB price you're quoting is a used bike price. That's what you can expect a dealer to charge if they have a used '08 for sale. Check out nada.com and you'll see they have both a new and used category, and for new, the price is as you were quoted, $5899.

I read on another forum that dealer invoice is in the neighborhood of $5200, which seems to jive with what I've seen from folks like OTD in LA, who typically sell bikes at a few hundred over invoice and they're right around $6200 OTD. Working backwards puts the bike around $5500 before all the fees are added, which matches what I've seen reported by other folks. Hard to keep the lights on for a few hundred over invoice, but OTD works out of a big warehouse, and they make up in volume what they lose per deal. Of course, if the volume goes away.....

-NoVector
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 01:54 AM   #227
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,360
$5899 eh? What are you moaning about? Here in Australia, while the Australian dollar is almost on par with the US doillar, we're being asked to part with $10,500 for a WR250R on road. THAT hurts.

The bike is $9,500, with another $1,000 to pay in taxes and registration. We don't need the seats, as our arseholes are burning from the screwing we get..................................
GodSilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 07:27 AM   #228
soundasleeprecording
genuine pleather seating

Oddometer: 515
Here....

I'd rather have the choice of whether to have that "burning sensation" or not.
There are so many bikes the US doesn't even get that Australia & Europe receive....... although we do get the WR250R/X.

R1200ST and some expensive bicycles.

soundasleeprecording screwed with this post 06-15-2008 at 06:57 AM
soundasleeprecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 02:29 PM   #229
Sock Monkey OP
Corporate slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodSilla
$5899 eh? What are you moaning about? Here in Australia, while the Australian dollar is almost on par with the US doillar, we're being asked to part with $10,500 for a WR250R on road. THAT hurts.

The bike is $9,500, with another $1,000 to pay in taxes and registration. We don't need the seats, as our arseholes are burning from the screwing we get..................................
It's an interesting dynamic. As soundasleep said, you get bikes that we don't, but that's likely because they can charge (and you all seem willing to pay) as much as 50% more than we do, so they must figure they'd rather sell fewer bikes at a much higher margin elsewhere and not bring some models into the US.

Then there's the whole California mess over here, where bikes sold in this state have to meet a different (i.e. more strict) set of requirements than other states. Manufacturers have to decide to either make all the US bikes to the California standard, or sell bikes configured 2 different ways (which must be a total PITA). This crap leads to situations like the one with the Kawasaki KLX250S. Until the "early release" 2009 model came out just a few months ago, those bikes were legal in every state except California. You couldn't even buy one out of state and license it here! I guess I can't blame companies for not wanting to deal with this on every model they make, so I can see where they might just pick a few that are likely to sell well here and be done with it.

Anyway, you want lower prices? Here's what you do: became cheap bastards like us and just refuse to pay those high prices, then your prices would come down on the 2 remaining models that would still be for sale. Either that, or just take a tube of lubricant into the dealer with you to make things go easier...

-NoVector
Old 06-16-2008, 11:18 AM   #230
Sock Monkey OP
Corporate slave

Another off-road update

Well, the weather was really nice this weekend, so it was time to take the little blue beast back up into the mtns.

Once again, my *ahem* "reason" for going was to scout out a few more fishin'/campin' spots for family and friends, and I found excellent examples of both! You gotta love a recon vehicle that covers the amount/type of ground the WRR can cover in a short period of time. I also love the gas mileage. I wasn't being easy with the loud knob (which in stock form is actually not loud at all), and my low fuel light came on with just over 100 miles on the clock. Assuming my light is coming on with approx. 1/2 gallon left (I didn't want to risk running it dry out in the bush just to find out), that gave me 100 miles of rough going on 1.5 gallons for an average of right around 67mpg.

Here are a couple other notes on how she ran:

- Once again, going up steep, rocky terrain in 1st/2nd gear, the rad fan was on all the time, but the bike never boiled over. Damn impressive for just having one little radiator.

- I think I have the back end adjusted about right now. It was settling in a bit with all the thrashing I was giving it, so my sag (race sag, i.e. with me fully in the saddle) had gotten to about 4" (I'm about 210lb with gear on). I set that back at 3" by cranking in a bit more pre-load, and went out 2 clicks on the comp damping (11 clicks out total from max damping), and the back end tracked really well over the nasties.

- Tires....OK, time for the stockers to come off. Most of the tracks I had been on were packed forest trails, rocks, etc....generally hard terrain, and for that, the stockers worked just fine. Well, I can say they pretty much suck for softer stuff. Some of the tracks I was on this weekend were soft with lots of pine straw in the track, or pretty sandy (which was odd so high up in the mtns....), and the stock tires had me all over the place. I never dropped it, but there were a few "exciting" moments.

- I started getting some popping on deceleration, which usually means the bike is running a little lean. I was a little higher elevation on this trip (about 5500ft), so I'm wondering if the ECU/FI wasn't doing a great job compensating. Since it's an open system, I don't think there's any way for it to auto-correct for O2 (or lack of O2). Can anyone from higher elevations report on how their WRRs are running above 5-6k ft?

Here are a few pics.

Some biiiiiig rocks in that river:

I wonder if there are equally big trout hanging out in some of the bigger pools?

Found a nice area where a large gathering could camp, and it even had a decent view of the lake/dam down below:

I just love tracks like this:

Unforunately, there is a lot of controversy up there right now regarding access rights, and more and more of this is taking place:

Here's a parting shot of the "recon vehicle" down by the water:

-NoVector
Old 06-16-2008, 11:24 AM   #231
Gargoyle
Trail Jester

Oddometer: 1,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVector
Well, the weather was really nice this weekend, so it was time to take the little blue beast back up into the mtns.
Wow, what a beautiful set of trails and scenery. Very nice!
Berkshire Trail Riders on Facebook or follow me on Twitter
Gargoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 02:48 PM   #232
levity
nano-Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,088
Hi Pete

The central coast of Calif also offers nice riding and views.

Managed to sneak in rides both days this weekend. Short photo report here over on TT.

levity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 02:54 AM   #233
Emblem
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Hello from a noob. First, I'd like to thank No Vector and Levity for the recent photos. Despite your gripes NV, valid as they may be, you do have one hell of a beautiful backyard. I am unbelievably envious. Also, to all and sundry, thanks for reporting your experiences. I hope to add some where I can, as I am now the proud second owner of a WR250R.
I've been poking around for a smaller displacement DS bike with a dirt bias for a while, and as soon as I became aware of the WRR I figured that was the bike for me. Sadly. I knew that I was going to have to wait for a while, maybe until next year, until one became available on the secondary market. I just couldn't conscience $6K + 10% for what is, no matter how you look at it, a grownup's toy. I contented myself with the certainty that there are always "don't wanters" out there. What's the aphorism...? "For every beautiful woman out there, there's a guy who's tired of @#*$in' her". Despite the extreme odds, I lurked in the usual places, hoping. I must have done something right in a previous life, because nothing I've done in this one explains the WRR with 5 MILES that dropped into my lap. The poor guy bought it on a whim, rode home and found his wife standing in the driveway pointing in the direction he came from. Despite his, I'm sure, very logical arguments; she insisted. So he put it in the garage, and put it up for sale. I found it and bought it for what I expected to pay next year for an '08.
I carried it home, performed the initial break-in as per MotoMan, picked up a filter today, and changed the oil. The oil was the color of muddy Mississippi river water with quite a bit of suspended metal in it. I drained the oil through a filter and there were a few larger bits of swarf and some gasket material, but nothing out of the ordinary for a first oil change. And the process was refreshingly easy. One filter! How great is that? The bleed process is straightforward and unlike some have mentioned, I had no trouble getting at the bleed bolt with a box end wrench. All in all a lot easier than my LC4 was. As someone else mentioned, despite draining as completely as possible, when I refilled the crankcase (with Yamalube 10w30 for the time being) it took only 1.2 liters.
Then, I rode it. It feels good, not terribly strong down low, but good. Now, I know it's only a 250, and I don't have unrealistic expectations but it feels a little strangled off the bottom. I expect that with more miles and eventually some well chosen bits, I'll be able to address that. The fuel injection meters fuel well, from small openings to WFO it's really indistinguishable from a well jetted carb. The clutch is light and progressive. It shifts pretty well for a brand new bike. The brakes are nice and getting nicer as they bed in. Overall, It has the feel of a quality piece of machinery. Fit and finish are great, I like the clocks so far, and out of the box the suspension is plush, nicely damped, and well suited to me on the street.
No Vector, I agree with your comments about static vs dynamic weight. While ridng, this thing does not seem to be pushing 300 pounds. I'm sure that rotating mass has something to do with that as well as great engineers and possibly some elfin magic.
I'm really impressed and happy so far, and itching to get a bit of time in the dirt with this one.
Thank you all again for your impressions and insight. I look forward to more.
Emblem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 08:46 AM   #234
AgaveChaser
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emblem
Hello from a noob. First, I'd like to thank No Vector and Levity for the recent photos. Despite your gripes NV, valid as they may be, you do have one hell of a beautiful backyard. I am unbelievably envious. Also, to all and sundry, thanks for reporting your experiences. I hope to add some where I can, as I am now the proud second owner of a WR250R.
I've been poking around for a smaller displacement DS bike with a dirt bias for a while, and as soon as I became aware of the WRR I figured that was the bike for me. Sadly. I knew that I was going to have to wait for a while, maybe until next year, until one became available on the secondary market. I just couldn't conscience $6K + 10% for what is, no matter how you look at it, a grownup's toy. I contented myself with the certainty that there are always "don't wanters" out there. What's the aphorism...? "For every beautiful woman out there, there's a guy who's tired of @#*$in' her". Despite the extreme odds, I lurked in the usual places, hoping. I must have done something right in a previous life, because nothing I've done in this one explains the WRR with 5 MILES that dropped into my lap. The poor guy bought it on a whim, rode home and found his wife standing in the driveway pointing in the direction he came from. Despite his, I'm sure, very logical arguments; she insisted. So he put it in the garage, and put it up for sale. I found it and bought it for what I expected to pay next year for an '08.
I carried it home, performed the initial break-in as per MotoMan, picked up a filter today, and changed the oil. The oil was the color of muddy Mississippi river water with quite a bit of suspended metal in it. I drained the oil through a filter and there were a few larger bits of swarf and some gasket material, but nothing out of the ordinary for a first oil change. And the process was refreshingly easy. One filter! How great is that? The bleed process is straightforward and unlike some have mentioned, I had no trouble getting at the bleed bolt with a box end wrench. All in all a lot easier than my LC4 was. As someone else mentioned, despite draining as completely as possible, when I refilled the crankcase (with Yamalube 10w30 for the time being) it took only 1.2 liters.
Then, I rode it. It feels good, not terribly strong down low, but good. Now, I know it's only a 250, and I don't have unrealistic expectations but it feels a little strangled off the bottom. I expect that with more miles and eventually some well chosen bits, I'll be able to address that. The fuel injection meters fuel well, from small openings to WFO it's really indistinguishable from a well jetted carb. The clutch is light and progressive. It shifts pretty well for a brand new bike. The brakes are nice and getting nicer as they bed in. Overall, It has the feel of a quality piece of machinery. Fit and finish are great, I like the clocks so far, and out of the box the suspension is plush, nicely damped, and well suited to me on the street.
No Vector, I agree with your comments about static vs dynamic weight. While ridng, this thing does not seem to be pushing 300 pounds. I'm sure that rotating mass has something to do with that as well as great engineers and possibly some elfin magic.
I'm really impressed and happy so far, and itching to get a bit of time in the dirt with this one.
Thank you all again for your impressions and insight. I look forward to more.
Wow what a great find for you and a great story to back it up. I guess the guy you bought it from thought it was better to ask for forgiveness than permission I am currently working a deal on one at my local dealer (with the wife's permission of course). I am looking right at $6K OTD.
AgaveChaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 09:24 AM   #235
levity
nano-Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,088
play on words

Hey AgaveChaser,

Here's a pic of a ChaserAgave - seems it got pretty "excited" when it saw the WRR's back side.

levity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 12:11 PM   #236
AgaveChaser
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by levity
Hey AgaveChaser,

Here's a pic of a ChaserAgave - seems it got pretty "excited" when it saw the WRR's back side.

Is that what those are really called? My screen name is more inline with a tequila chaser.
AgaveChaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 05:30 PM   #237
Sock Monkey OP
Corporate slave

Quote:
First, I'd like to thank No Vector and Levity for the recent photos.
You're quite welcome.

Quote:
Despite your gripes NV, valid as they may be, you do have one hell of a beautiful backyard.
Agreed! I just want to keep it that way, hence the griping (awareness sparks activity, don't ya know....).

Quote:
Also, to all and sundry, thanks for reporting your experiences. I hope to add some where I can, as I am now the proud second owner of a WR250R.
Congrats on the new ride! It is a very fun bike, with just the right mix of performance and handling, both on the road and off, to truly do it all.

Quote:
The oil was the color of muddy Mississippi river water with quite a bit of suspended metal in it. I drained the oil through a filter and there were a few larger bits of swarf and some gasket material, but nothing out of the ordinary for a first oil change.
Sounds very similar to my first oil change. My second one is coming this weekend, and I expect dirty oil, but nothing like the break-in sewage.

Quote:
Then, I rode it. It feels good, not terribly strong down low, but good. Now, I know it's only a 250, and I don't have unrealistic expectations but it feels a little strangled off the bottom. I expect that with more miles and eventually some well chosen bits, I'll be able to address that.
Exactly right. I've seen some recent posts where folks aren't liking the "lack of low end" on this bike and it just makes me shake my head. If they wanted instant throttle response from zero revs on up to the limiter, they should have purchased a 450 (or my old 525, which would climb straight up a wall, while idling ). I just read a post where a "tweaked" bike (airbox opened, new pipe, but no ECU/FI remap) made 32HP and 20FTLBs of torque at the rear wheel. Those are some really good numbers, so the power is in there, you just need to add the right bits to make it come out.

Quote:
I'm still surprised at how light this bike is, and even though I confirmed the stated weight using the "front end/back end on the bathroom scale" method of weighing the little blue beast, I still can't believe it. So....I'm starting to believe your elfin magic theory, but I've heard they had help from the garden gnomes, and we all know what those clever gnomes are capable of.....

-NoVector
Old 06-17-2008, 06:24 PM   #238
Thumpero
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Thumpero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 12:55 PM   #239
qwiksilver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 349
Those aren't big rocks. It's Jeep pavement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVector

Some biiiiiig rocks in that river:

Unforunately, there is a lot of controversy up there right now regarding access rights, and more and more of this is taking place:

Yeah...this is why everyone needs to join the Blue Ribbon Coalition and help them with the costs of the litigation needed to keep our trails open for everyone's use.
qwiksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 02:28 PM   #240
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwiksilver
Those aren't big rocks. It's Jeep pavement.

Yeah...this is why everyone needs to join the Blue Ribbon Coalition and help them with the costs of the litigation needed to keep our trails open for everyone's use.
+100 on the Blue Ribbon Coalition. I joined back in '96 and would give up my AMA membership before Blue Rib if it came down to having to choose.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is online now   Reply With Quote