Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2011, 09:17 PM   #24601
bpg
Off Trail

Oddometer: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke308 View Post
I used the Army 3 layer bags in Iraq/Afghanistan, but they're too big and heavy for my liking. They work great, don't get me wrong, but I'm considering something like the Kifaru Regulator or a down bag of some variety.
check out the Big Agnes stuff. They sell a ridiculously comfy, extremely packable air mattress that integrates (slips into) their sleeping bag models. So you end up with something more comfortable than a normal bag/thermarest-type pad, with less weight and bulk, plus no sliding off the sleeping pad.

I only have the Big Agnes pad now, it feels as good as a quality mattress when the air pressure is properly adjusted (I just fully inflate it, lay down, and let air out until it feels right). It's about the size of a toilet paper roll when packed...

FWIW, they sell an insulated and uninsulated pad, depending on your target camping temps.
'02 Honda CBR1100XX

bpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:40 PM   #24602
cug

Oddometer: 4,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardWorkingDog View Post
Takes about 30 seconds to pull the seat & replace. 2 bolts under the fender, easy access even with a t-wrench. Make sure you have an 8mm socket and you'll be fine.
Awesome, that's in my toolkit anyways. I can then decide on the fly whether I want to ride with the OEM or the Spiral.

Quote:
With a new to you bike, I think 120 miles/tank would be living too close to the edge .
Good to know. The first leg of the trip will have many gas stations, so not really a problem, the second leg might need some planning. I was hoping for a bit more range. 100 miles is half of what I'm used to. Will have to think about a Safari or IMS tank.

Quote:
10 and 12 mm wrenches for the axle adjusters, and 27mm for the axle nut. I go by the manual: in neutral, on side stand, no load, push up on bottom on chain, 0.4" between top of chain and bottom of swingarm. Others do it differently but this seems like an easy way to do it without a stand.
Okay, I'll add a 27mm to the kit in case the original kit is not on the bike anymore. As this stuff is generally junk anyways I wouldn't be surprised. 10 and 12 are already in my kit.

Just found I don't even have a 27mm at the moment, my wrenches go up to 26mm, never needed a bigger one. But that's no problem, I'll have some time to prepare.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 11:00 PM   #24603
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
...The first leg of the trip will have many gas stations, so not really a problem, the second leg might need some planning. I was hoping for a bit more range. 100 miles is half of what I'm used to. Will have to think about a Safari or IMS tank...
I carry a liter (or two) in an alum. camping gas bottle when I need a little more range. Might be a simple way on your fly-n-ride to make it work.

Next Trip: the Nevada-Utah-Arizona 3 step (hoping, DingWeed)...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 11:02 PM   #24604
cug

Oddometer: 4,182
If I have a chance to get to REI to buy one of those bottles, I might do this. Wanted to get one or two of them anyways.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 11:03 PM   #24605
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,773
I use a pair of the MSR 30oz bottles along with an IMS 3.1gal tank to handle my fuel needs. So far its been perfect and I rarely need the MSR's. With the stock tank I'd probably just strap a 1gal or 2gal fuel tank to the rear fender.
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 06:11 AM   #24606
Shawnee Bill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
Mill was in better shape last time I went through there ~3 yrs ago....

The "Alpine Loop" is a blast....
Is that the same mill? Mine is here.

http://g.co/maps/n9ewa

Can't seem to make a Google map screen shot pop up here, just that link, is there some way to do that?

Someone told me there was another mill in better shape somewhere else on or close to the Alpine loop.
We didn't get to do the loop over to Lake City, my buddy got sick so we moved over to Buena Vista.

GL1800
FZ-1 For sale
Shawnee Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 07:19 AM   #24607
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer: 2,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpg View Post
check out the Big Agnes stuff.
+1 I have the Hog Park 20 degree and the extra wide/insulated mat.....nice set up.

http://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Bag/hogpark20
http://www.WhereAmIRiding.com
Crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 07:56 AM   #24608
skian g
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpg View Post
check out the Big Agnes stuff. They sell a ridiculously comfy, extremely packable air mattress that integrates (slips into) their sleeping bag models. So you end up with something more comfortable than a normal bag/thermarest-type pad, with less weight and bulk, plus no sliding off the sleeping pad.

I only have the Big Agnes pad now, it feels as good as a quality mattress when the air pressure is properly adjusted (I just fully inflate it, lay down, and let air out until it feels right). It's about the size of a toilet paper roll when packed...

FWIW, they sell an insulated and uninsulated pad, depending on your target camping temps.
I have the insulated air core pad they sell for mummy bags and it is great! packs small and works well when inflated right. I would recommend the insulated cause i would hate to spend all that money and have the potential of being cold when sleeping. Even in the summer the ground can suck a lot of heat out of you. I use this pad in conjunction with a North Face Kilo 30 degree bag. Which stuffs into a sack the size of a large coffee can. With this stuff I was able to get all of my camping gear, clothes, tools a spare front tube and some food inside my Giant Loop Coyote. Even my crocs fit inside. Only thing outside was my REI Half Dome tent. I cant speak highly enough about that Giant Loop bag, and honestly if you cant get it all to fit in there, you probably don't need all of it. I came from a backpacking background, so the transition to lightweight motorcycle camping was easy for me, essentially different style bag to hold everything and add a motorcycle and some riding gear.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:00 AM   #24609
jgino157
Yer' mom!!!

Oddometer: 398
Been riding the little WR the last two days.....doing a little back to back comparison with the DR650.......I'm loving this little bike.....cant wait to get dirt wheels.

Anyone got a list of suspension shops who are familiar with the WRR????

Gratuitous pic.....
Attached Images

jgino157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:04 AM   #24610
DougZ73
Lacks Freetime

Oddometer: 6,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgino157 View Post
Been riding the little WR the last two days.....doing a little back to back comparison with the DR650.......I'm loving this little bike.....cant wait to get dirt wheels.

Anyone got a list of suspension shops who are familiar with the WRR????

Gratuitous pic.....
A lot of people like Go Race suspension.

I went with a local shop here in NJ..great work. See this post:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=23757
- Ryder Joseph Z. , Born 11/26/12-- the next Adventure begins.
DougZ73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:07 AM   #24611
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,042
I'm going to see how well the ol' WRR stands up against some real dirt bikes this weekend

Wish me luck.

Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:17 AM   #24612
DougZ73
Lacks Freetime

Oddometer: 6,269
Good luck Krabill.

I am doing my first hare scramble on WRR next weekend, second ever..last one was on a KDX 200 in 06..and I barely knew how to ride off road...scratch that....compared to today, I did not know how to ride offroad at all.
- Ryder Joseph Z. , Born 11/26/12-- the next Adventure begins.
DougZ73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:21 AM   #24613
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,365
G Luck!

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
bigdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:39 AM   #24614
debaisley
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,416
i do a lot of hare scrambles on the 2 stroke YZ and they are tough, doin it on the WR will certainly be a work out.
debaisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:59 AM   #24615
trav72
I can't ride where?

Oddometer: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by debaisley View Post
i do a lot of hare scrambles on the 2 stroke YZ and they are tough, doin it on the WR will certainly be a work out.
Yep, it will be. But as long as I don't get run over by anyone I'll be fine.
trav72 is offline   Reply With Quote