Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2011, 04:04 PM   #25246
bpg
Off Trail

Oddometer: 563
SR1, read ya loud & clear - although our routes for a given excursion differ in nature, I agree that light and tight is better - once I can afford it!

ya know, I think I rode with you years ago at Sparta NC for an ST.N event - whazzat you?

When you get back, you are more than welcome to join us on one of our "cloverleaf" riding weekends in the NC/TN mountains. We rarely hit the same trails twice in a given weekend, or if we do it's because we had so much fun the first time through!
'02 Honda CBR1100XX

bpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 04:25 PM   #25247
ironbrewer
Hopefully Riding

Oddometer: 4,010
I just don't understand why people are arguing about this. Do I like to pack light. Yes I do. Do I care if other people don't pack light. No, they can do what they like. Will I ride with somebody packed heavier than me. Sure, as long as they don't interfere to much with how I want to ride. When I set up a ride I lay out what my expectations clearly. I want to do big miles for multiple days, or a short mellow ride in the mountains, maybe hardcore long technical gnarly singletrack day of riding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR1 View Post
Apparently broad brush strokes go both ways, Jager. If point A to B were my obsession, I'd fly. Simple as that. I doubt many, if any, of us are "just" into the getting from point A to B. I just don't like fighting my bike on the way.

Pat Paulsen
ironbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 05:00 PM   #25248
rydnseek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironbrewer View Post
I just don't understand why people are arguing about this. .

Because that is what we do. When we are not riding, we argue about riding... or oil.. or tires. ..sometimes we argue about nothing in particular. It is a mild release from our psychotic madness.
rydnseek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 05:49 PM   #25249
bpg
Off Trail

Oddometer: 563
I for one appreciate all viewpoints, whether or not we agree - I believe a lot was learned in the exchanges over packing. And, if any of my posts came across as argumentative, my deepest apologies!

Although I don't ride my "longer distance" routes in the same manner as several others, I definitely have a deeper insight into the ~pack light~ philosophy thanks to their posts.

Hell, in the old days folks would load their Harley 74 or Honda 350 or whatever and go "adventure riding" with gear from the local hardware store: there's always one "best" way to do anything, but plenty more "just as fun" ways as well!
'02 Honda CBR1100XX

bpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 07:15 PM   #25250
jimrobinette
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydnseek View Post
Because that is what we do. When we are not riding, we argue about riding... or oil.. or tires.
Or even if WD-40 is a lubricant or solvent!
jimrobinette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 07:29 PM   #25251
Jäger
Osons

Oddometer: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR1 View Post
Apparently broad brush strokes go both ways, Jager. If point A to B were my obsession, I'd fly. Simple as that. I doubt many, if any, of us are "just" into the getting from point A to B.
So as not to confuse you, let me put it another way: what, exactly, do you do on a dual sport trip besides ride, rest, stop and gawk for a few moments, eat, sleep, and sit by the fire?

A day of walk 'n wade fishing perhaps?

Perhaps a bit of outdoor photography to capture the scenery you're travelling through?

Perhaps a day hike from where the abandoned roads and trails end to bag one of those peaks?

I hit all those spots and did those things on a multiday trip back in September. Pretty normal trip for us. That's what I'm talking about regarding the differences from Point A to Point B riding.

Quote:
Also, who said anything about fly fishing?
Who said anything about assuming people only do Point A to Point B riding?

Quote:
Hell, what if someone's into deep sea diving, or is an astronaut.
Given your apparent inability to tell the difference between some fishing gear, or some camera lenses and a tripod, and a deep sea diving installation or space capsule, I'm left to surmise your occupation must be storesman.

I'm not interested in carrying your harpsicord. Or hardhat diving equipment. But when you ride in the Rockies, and want to take fishing gear, or photography gear, or gear to make a day sidetrip by foot to bag a peak or visit a lake, that is completely normal. Many do it. Tourists without bikes pay outfitters large sums of money to take them there by horse to do the same thing. And if you choose to do things like that on a bike trip, you need a bit more than your sleeping bag and jammies.

Quote:
The WR with a fully loaded Great Basin (full of something heavier than pillows) is going to be a cumbersome mess.
My apologies; I missed the part where you rode with a Great Basin for a while.

How long did you ride with a Great Basin before coming to that conclusion? If you haven't already sold it, how much do you want for your used Great Basin?

I DID ask for anyone who was riding a WR with that setup (there seem to be a few) to post a few pics if they have any, so maybe you can share some of yours with us. Because I'm not so sure that trips that are predominantly on FSR, IR, and branch roads would be quite that hapless with a Great Basin. In fact, I'm kind of curious as to how much difference there is between a Coyote with a dry bag also mounted behind it, and a Great Basin with the same amount of gear all inside one bag.

It is also a well kept secret that with soft luggage, just because it will carry a space capsule, harpsicord, and hardhat diving gear, doesn't mean you have to fill it to capacity every time. You can always take only what you need and cinch the rest of the bag down. It is much easier to deal with space left over in a bigger bag, than not quite enough space in a smaller bag.

Quote:
I don't mean them to be hurtful to ya'll, but if I'm moving on every day and sleeping in a different spot, you can't blame me for not wanting to worry about another rider with an overloaded bike. I've actually BEEN that guy, and felt like a damned fool and way out of place.
I don't mean to be hurtful to ya'll, but one shouldn't project one's personal inadequacies and shortcomings on others. Because you can't do it doesn't mean somebody else can and with relative ease. One is mindful of the comments here a few months ago regarding some riders getting their asses kicked by a difficult uphill track who then watched one of the WORC guys calmly motor by them up to the top - with his girlfriend on the seat behind him.

It's equally true that one should not assume just because you don't fish, or hike, or enjoy photography, or bagging a peak that nobody has ever been up before - or whatever - that other people are not interested either.

Am I going to try and convince you to do other stuff on a multi day ride besides ride, or convince you that you have to carry everything you have with you in a tank bag? No. I'll settle for a glimmer of insight that, just because something doesn't work for you, or your particular circumstances, or is something you're not interested in, doesn't mean everybody else is engaging in folly if they choose to do that.

All that said, I'd still appreciate your insights and pics regarding your use of a Great Basin bag on a WRR. Thus my interest in seeing a Great Basin on a WRR.
Jäger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 07:38 PM   #25252
Jäger
Osons

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpg View Post
I for one appreciate all viewpoints, whether or not we agree - I believe a lot was learned in the exchanges over packing.
It's about different strokes for different folks. One rider's utopia is another rider's hell. Throw everyone in this thread all together in one spot, with a variety of different riding in front of them to choose from, and riding styles and interests would sort people into different groups pretty fast.

To make it even more complex, today's ride can be very different than the next ride. You might have nothing but a bivvy blanket and range blanket with some power bars for a fast overnighter, stuffed into a tail bag. The next trip might have your luggage loaded. Meanwhile, other guys hit hotels and restaurants at day's end.

So different things work for different people in different riding situations. The mistake is in assuming because something doesn't work for you and your riding, or they're doing something you're not interested in, then they're out to lunch. Those who have never had a "Wow... I never thought of that" moment watching how others do things haven't been paying attention.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:43 PM   #25253
OSU
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Wink first off road ride on my wr250r

I found out that the trail wing tires will kill me if I hit mud. I think I am going to get the maxis dual sport tires any other suggestions for tires that are excellent in the mud.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
I weighed the bike came out to 300lbs
Photobucket
ALL CLEAN

OSU screwed with this post 10-22-2011 at 07:49 PM
OSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 07:46 PM   #25254
Jäger
Osons

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimrobinette View Post
Or even if WD-40 is a lubricant or solvent!
Water displacement... solvent?

Hexane... jet fuel?

Mineral oil... lubricant?
Old 10-22-2011, 07:48 PM   #25255
Jäger
Osons

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSU View Post
I found out that the trail wing tires will kill me if I hit mud.
Unfortunately, Heidenau K60 M&S tires have not proven to be much better in mud.

However, they are actually quite impressive in snow as I just found out.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:42 PM   #25256
Jdubb
DL1000, WR250R

Oddometer: 148
2nd gear skip

I have a 2008 wr250 and experienced skipping in second and third gear today under load. I bought the bike with 790 miles last winter and now have 7,600 on it. It has not been down on the left side and I do not believe I am hard on the transmission. I am thinking it is a bent shift fork. Does anyone have any experience with this problem? Searchs have not turned up anything about a problem?
Jdubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 09:11 PM   #25257
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jäger View Post
So as not to confuse you, let me put it another way:

Given your apparent inability to tell the difference between some fishing gear, or some camera lenses and a tripod, and a deep sea diving installation or space capsule, I'm left to surmise your occupation must be storesman.
That there is funny! I had a very similar thought...

Now then, POST MORE PHOTOS like these:

Sign me up for your fishing and photography expedition. Ho-chi-momma!

HF
Athena Big Bore Project
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 10:43 PM   #25258
SR1
Back in S. Korea

Oddometer: 4,373

I thought it was pretty funny too, I laughed out loud and enojoyed your retort. I'm not sure you get my point though. My point was simply that since I have no idea what your other activities are during your ride, how can I guess? For ride-sleep-ride-sleep the Coyote's big enough for indefinitely long trips. That was my whole point. FYI, did live in CO for 10 years and did a fair bit of fly fishing. I also did a fair bit of peak bagging and backpacking. I brought a compact spincast rod/reel so I could fish during my trips. It never crossed my mind to bring my waders, net, and 10' rod with me on my 50-100 mile backpacking trips on the Colorado Trail. I prefer flyfishing, but only so much one (me) can do, so the the spincast sufficed.Oh, and you asked "what else" do I do? I do pretty much just ride when I'm on a riding trip. I frankly spend a lot of "quiet time" thinking, and looking at things. Or hike. I may bring a compact spincast rod.

I reckon I just have a different (not to be read "better") sense of scale than you Jager. Just like that woman in Utah who's given birth to 18 kids, there's a point at which you stop loading/overloading a piece of equipment. I have lower limits than you. I still think my position is completely fair. I didn't say you were wrong but I did say it wasn't for me.Anyway, I haven't used the GB on the WR. I did use one once on my GS and it was delightful (though unnecessary since I already have hard bags), but it was too large for me to even consider putting it on my WR. Yes, you can cinch it down of course.

I too would like to see a photo of a GB on a WR. Hopefully it will be stuffed with a harpsichord.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:47 PM   #25259
SR1
Back in S. Korea

Oddometer: 4,373
Yes that was me. I had a Sprint at the time but since moved to a GS. Much better bike for me in the twisties. Who were you/what were you on? It says Brendan at the bottom of your post, for the life of me I don't remember riding with a Brendan, I'm sorry. What kinda bike did you have? We had about 50 people at that event, but I was pretty sure I just rode with 2 other guys on the "ride day."

I am always ready to go on another DS ride, now that my riding has gone that direction! I'll let you know when I'm back (though my plan is to land in Greensboro and within a week be on the TWVT and TAT for my first "back in the States" ride).

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpg View Post

ya know, I think I rode with you years ago at Sparta NC for an ST.N event - whazzat you?

When you get back, you are more than welcome to join us on one of our "cloverleaf" riding weekends in the NC/TN mountains. We rarely hit the same trails twice in a given weekend, or if we do it's because we had so much fun the first time through!
Old 10-23-2011, 01:35 AM   #25260
marbee40
Some Fear is Good

Oddometer: 1,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpididump View Post
But Wolfman does make racks for the WRR.
Edited my previous post to read "...as I had found one for sale on another thread".