Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2012, 04:37 PM   #27286
Longboardr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
I pulled the stock 43 tooth sprocket and put a 50 on the bike today with a 112 link chain. The bike read 75mph when the GPS read 60mph, 20% error. Went down a long hill to make sure the bike could still do 80mph without hitting the rev limiter, no problem at all. The speedo read just over 100mph , good luck on that ever happening for real Fixed the speedo error with my newly acquired SpeedoDRD.

Took the bike out on some state forest roads, really like the speed vs revs with the new setup, not near as hard to do 5mph when I want to vs the stock setup.

Got in the Dynamat I ordered to deaden the engine noise the Flatland skidplate is reflecting back at me. I'll install it tonight if I can get my arse outta this chair

Longboardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 05:02 PM   #27287
2Stamp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
This time, I bought the Carmichael bend. I had the Henry/Reed bend on my bike, but once I cut my normal 1" off each side, I had to mount my starter control switch way inboard..which was not easy to start when stalled.

The Carmichael bend was the same overall width, but skinnier at the bar clamp area, which means I can cut my normal 1" off each side and have all controls where they should be.

This will be my fifth set of bars between the WRR and DRZ I had, and these are the most resistant to bending. I still bent mine, but I ride hard as I can and crash a lot. Some trees move, some don't.

The hope with the triple mount clamp is it will make the whole set up a lot more solid and resist bending.
Thanks.
2006 450EXC
2014 Honda Grom (hers)
2Stamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:34 PM   #27288
thumpididump
MacGyver

Oddometer: 2,401
Nice. That's some seriously low mileage for a 4-yr old bike!

As for the tall seat height, just eat lots of cheeseburgers and drink lots of beer --- the seat height will get lower and lower in no time. Trust me on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVCoop View Post
I picked up a 2008 Yamaha WR250R today. A young guy owned it, mid twenties and still lives at home. He bought it brand new (so I am the second owner) and he rode it very little. It is in almost new condition. The picture showing the mileage is actual mileage when I picked it up. He decided he doesn't ride it enough and wanted the money for his Mustang.

It came with a brand new front fender, Still in the bag, and the stock exhaust. The stock exhaust is going back on asap and that FMF will be fore sale if anyone is in the market for one. I don't like aftermarket exhausts. I know some 08's had fuel pump issues so we'll see how that plays out as well as I put miles on it.

One day soon I will be swapping exhausts, and see if I can lower it any with the shock and maybe sliding the forks up a little; they are flush with the clamps right now. If that's not enough I will look into lowering links maybe. I am 5'11" and tippy toe at a stop haha.

Well here are two quickie cell pics.

Mileage:

In the driveway once I got it home:

FY-YFF
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R
thumpididump is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:34 PM   #27289
ADVCoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sair Fecht View Post
Congratulations! I bought a low mileage '08 WRR a couple of years back and I've done ~ 10000 miles with zero reliability issues. I'm 5'11" with a 32" inseam and I didn't need a lowering link. At the back, I adjusted the shock lower nut/block to reduce the seat height and then set the sag. At the front, I dropped the forks ~ 1/2" through the triple clamps. Worked out perfectly for me. Enjoy your new purchase, every time I ride mine I like it a little bit more!
Thanks, I will try that!
Old 03-03-2012, 08:37 PM   #27290
ADVCoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpididump View Post
Nice. That's some seriously low mileage for a 4-yr old bike!

As for the tall seat height, just eat lots of cheeseburgers and drink lots of beer --- the seat height will get lower and lower in no time. Trust me on this.
Ha, sounds like I am on the right track already then .
Old 03-03-2012, 09:13 PM   #27291
johnnyadventurepants
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 492

Thanks a lot! I looked on motorcycle-superstore.com before but couldn't find them. I'll blame it on their search engine.
Old 03-04-2012, 03:41 AM   #27292
Llamaha
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 693
Wolfman racks, how much weight?

My wolfman racks arrive this week and I'm looking for a new way to carry fuel and am considering a 1.75 gallon Rotopax but does anyone know if this will be too heavy when riding off-road?
Llamaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 06:59 AM   #27293
pkbinder
Helga The Red

Oddometer: 267
Carrying fuel

The guy I bought my WR from caried a 2gal Roto on the left (non pipe) side and said he never felt unbalanced. Paul
Old 03-04-2012, 07:16 AM   #27294
rjnutt
Desert tortoise

Oddometer: 239
Extra Fuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamaha View Post
My wolfman racks arrive this week and I'm looking for a new way to carry fuel and am considering a 1.75 gallon Rotopax but does anyone know if this will be too heavy when riding off-road?
I have the two gallon carrier (I think emersun.biguns made it) to mount on the left side with Dirt Bagz. If you are riding fast, or in technical terrain, you will feel it. I rode a Pleasant Canyon loop in Death Valley with some pretty good riders and should have dumped the fuel into a bike a lot sooner. I have the Safari tank, so, I have never used it for my bike....kind of the Exxon Valdez for others. If I carry it again I will dump the gas as soon as my tank can carry it. I am probably going to get a one gallon and strap it to my tail rack for those trips where I need two hundred plus miles of range.
rjnutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:25 AM   #27295
Curbhopper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
This time, I bought the Carmichael bend. I had the Henry/Reed bend on my bike, but once I cut my normal 1" off each side, I had to mount my starter control switch way inboard..which was not easy to start when stalled.

The Carmichael bend was the same overall width, but skinnier at the bar clamp area, which means I can cut my normal 1" off each side and have all controls where they should be.

This will be my fifth set of bars between the WRR and DRZ I had, and these are the most resistant to bending. I still bent mine, but I ride hard as I can and crash a lot. Some trees move, some don't.

The hope with the triple mount clamp is it will make the whole set up a lot more solid and resist bending.
Hey Doug,
Can you send me a link on where you picked up the tree mounts?
Thanks.

Tony
Curbhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:26 AM   #27296
Saltydog86
village idiot

Oddometer: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbinder View Post
The guy I bought my WR from caried a 2gal Roto on the left (non pipe) side and said he never felt unbalanced. Paul
I like reading all the fuel slosh in a IMS 4.7 will make the bike impossible to ride but yet a 18lb roto on just one side up high in the rear is fine??? Soooo much bad information in this thread.

If you want extra fuel buy a bigger fuel tank and carry it in the center in a real gas tank like its meant to be.
05 Yamaha XT225
03 Honda Goldwing GL1800
Saltydog86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:15 AM   #27297
PYG RYDR
Adventure-Dual Sport

Oddometer: 346
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltydog86 View Post
I like reading all the fuel slosh in a IMS 4.7 will make the bike impossible to ride but yet a 18lb roto on just one side up high in the rear is fine??? Soooo much bad information in this thread.

If you want extra fuel buy a bigger fuel tank and carry it in the center in a real gas tank like its meant to be.
Totally agree!
There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it.
Only the wisest of humans achieve the second.
Logan Pearsall Smith
PYG RYDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:45 AM   #27298
rjnutt
Desert tortoise

Oddometer: 239
Type of Riding

Quote:

I don't know if he was giving bad info. It all depends on the riding he is going to be doing, or the PO did....having said that, the two gallon has never been back on my bike, it is not what you want hanging out there in anything other than easy riding on established two track or fire road type stuff. Even then I would dump it as soon as possible. When I said you "feel" it, I meant you REALLY feel it.

Unless you're just looking for a stop-gap solution for one long ride, I have to agree on the bigger tank solution. Not only does it ride better, but having to unstrap and dump gas out of a can is a pain in the ass. Probably easier than pushing a bike, however .
rjnutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:10 AM   #27299
jordan p
projects > time alloted

Oddometer: 110
Man I picked up my 08 a week and a half ago and I have not had to put in gas yet.... The ims tank keeps me going longer than I typically would need to... Can't wait to get a set of r wheels and get some serious trail time in... In the mean time some Shinto 244 will have to do. My bike is so clean and has never seen dirt... Poor thing will never see it coming. My drzsm never saw it coming either, then one day she was fully encrusted in mud laying on her side in thebmiddlenof nowhere going wtf just happened? See my avatar to the left :)

jordan p screwed with this post 03-04-2012 at 10:13 AM Reason: Ocd
jordan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 02:01 PM   #27300
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,031
Quote:

If a big tank cost $100 everybody would have one...We like to justify things.

I have a similar dilemma. Do I spend $800 on more fuel capacity or not. I'd like to have 200 miles range, but I think I'm going to be short about 40 miles on this particular bike. Somehow, stopping and fueling from an extra container doesn't seem practical unless I was facing something rare.
Pantah is online now   Reply With Quote