Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2012, 06:47 PM   #27466
scottmac
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,497
Aerostitch sells a neat little compressor. I've got one that I carry with me in my toolkit and
have been using it with no problems for years now.

http://www.aerostich.com/prevent-or-...ompressor.html
scottmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:43 PM   #27467
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgino157 View Post
Anyone got any good suggestions for a fender bag (I'm thinking Wolfman ) and small bicycle pump???
I've never been a fan of fender bags--too much weight leveraged out on a plastic fender, and it can block the headlight as well.

I really like the number plate bag from dirt-bike-gear.com. Fits perfectly on the WRR and holds a spare tube, more tools than a fender bag, and a clif bar two. He's got the strapping system down, it mounts solidly and doesn't budge.

Or you can go the rydnseek walmart cd holder route too...

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 05:37 AM   #27468
1 Wheel Drive
Flatus Antiquous

Oddometer: 1,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by what broke now View Post
Why would Yamaha bother with such a complicated and expensive system if it's effect was barely noticable?
That is a good (but not great) question. A great question would be one to which I know the answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
You got that slightly backwards....it is usually in semi closed position, which increases backpressure and therefore torque at the low end.( keeps it quieter too) Once rolling and higher in the revs, it opens to allow more flow and not be so restrictive.

take it apart and see for youself.
Believe me, I have inspected it closely. My stock pipe is sitting in a box in the garage which makes it very simple. And, no... I still believe that you are the one who has it backwards.

At rest (at the beginning of the You tube video for example) you can see that the valve sits in the fully CCW position, as evidenced by the black tang on the bellcrank against the metal stop at the lower right of the video.

This is also the position the valve sits in when the cables are disconnected (or in a box in the garage) which has the butterfly valve fully open. As the valve rotates clockwise it progressively closes and restricts the exhaust path.

I know that the way it operates (at least in in the video) seems counterintuitive to the design goal. Since I have never seen my EXUP In operation all I can go by is this video and looking at my valve. It appears that the valve only closes somewhat (turns CW) in mid rpms and high loads. It is fully open at all other times.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:46 AM   #27469
Bill_Z
Dude! chill,...

Oddometer: 460
Vstrom vs WRR

I'm thinkin' abouty selling my Wee for a WRR. I love the Vstrom and it has provided me with miles of good times, but I find myself wishing, each time I ride a gravel road, I wish had less bike that afforded more flexibility to ride more techinical stuff. "I wonder where that path goes?"

No real question here because I've been reading for six months about the WRR and I believe that this bike is the wilder companion to my bullet proof Vstrom, at almost half the weight. I've begun the analysis of price comparison to find out what the money side of such a swap would take.

I am 6'2" and weigh 225#s. I have already lifted/raised the connecting links of my Wee to make more room for my legs and I have no trouble riding the 600+ pounds on the road, but off road, she wallows. I've been using my Wee for commuting as well as short weekend rides and all my research points to the WRR or the cheaper green bike. I believe that I'm in a good position on my 2011 Wee for resale/trade so I just need to make a final determination. The WRR is my first choice based on the reputation of reliability that y'all have voiced here as well as the other forums.

Just thinkin' out loud here...thanks for all the good information about the WRR. It has proven invaluable in my decision making process.
LIMNCS #51
Bill_Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 05:48 AM   #27470
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,790
It is really not an item to argue over..as stated in your previous post..already been highly discussed and there is already a solid knowledge base.

Even Wiki has it right:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four-st...r_valve_system
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:00 AM   #27471
1 Wheel Drive
Flatus Antiquous

Quote:
It is really not an item to argue over..as stated in your previous post..already been highly discussed and there is already a solid knowledge base.

Even Wiki has it right:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four-st...r_valve_system
There may be a solid knowledge base, but your assertion that the valve is closed at idle (in that video) is wrong. That wiki link does not describe what is happening in the video. I fully understand the design goal of EXUP. But, in the video, the valve can be seen to be fully open at idle (and at most other times) and is only partially closing for short durations under throttle.

Are you saying that the video is not representative of how the valve works on other WR250's?
Or is it possible that the WR uses some new odd mutation of the "classic" EXUP design?
Old 03-12-2012, 06:11 AM   #27472
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,790
I am saying that what you think the video is showing and what it is really showing are two different things. I do not know how else to convince you, so at this point, it is not worth my effort to bother anymore. Feel free to think what you wish. Good day.

Edit: I'll have to check my stock set up at home, but the black line across shaft should be where the face of the valve is. It opens when reaches higher RPM. Now there is a chance the owner of bike in vid put the cables on backwards. If valve is way I think it is, valve is operating just as myself and wiki is saying it is. I'll confirm( or not) tonight.

DougZ73 screwed with this post 03-12-2012 at 06:18 AM
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:11 AM   #27473
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
I'm thinkin' abouty selling my Wee for a WRR. I love the Vstrom and it has provided me with miles of good times, but I find myself wishing, each time I ride a gravel road, I wish had less bike that afforded more flexibility to ride more techinical stuff. "I wonder where that path goes?"

No real question here because I've been reading for six months about the WRR and I believe that this bike is the wilder companion to my bullet proof Vstrom, at almost half the weight. I've begun the analysis of price comparison to find out what the money side of such a swap would take.

I am 6'2" and weigh 225#s. I have already lifted/raised the connecting links of my Wee to make more room for my legs and I have no trouble riding the 600+ pounds on the road, but off road, she wallows. I've been using my Wee for commuting as well as short weekend rides and all my research points to the WRR or the cheaper green bike. I believe that I'm in a good position on my 2011 Wee for resale/trade so I just need to make a final determination. The WRR is my first choice based on the reputation of reliability that y'all have voiced here as well as the other forums.

Just thinkin' out loud here...thanks for all the good information about the WRR. It has proven invaluable in my decision making process.
If possible, keep the V Strom. I was in a similar position few years back and I am glad I kept the Strom instead of getting rid of it. There's some stuff the WR just isn't good at, and the V Strom shines in those categories (higher speeds, weather protection, road comfort, distance riding, luggage hauling...), You will miss it once it's gone.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:20 AM   #27474
Outwardbound
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
If possible, keep the V Strom. I was in a similar position few years back and I am glad I kept the Strom instead of getting rid of it. There's some stuff the WR just isn't good at, and the V Strom shines in those categories (higher speeds, weather protection, road comfort, distance riding, luggage hauling...), You will miss it once it's gone.
+1 !

If you can, keep the Wee. Although I don't own a Wee, I do have a Versys, and the two classes of bikes make perhaps the perfect mix. If $ is the issue, buy a good used R. They"re not hard to find. The multiple-bike philosophy can be hard to rationalize, but this is one case where it's an easy call.
Outwardbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:21 AM   #27475
Bill_Z
Dude! chill,...

Oddometer: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
MeffZah: I really appreciate your advice. This is the kind of first hand opinion that I was hoping to hear. I have a sweet deal on my Wee at zero interest that I doubt I'll be able to duplicate. I was just checking prices because I have been wishing for WRR for a little while so I am still undecided about the sale. My wife would freak, but that's not unusual when I tell her about my bike plans. She may be getting used to it by now and only roll her eyes this time.

I know that the Wee is a great ride and I will plan on keeping it, based on your recommendation. It's just that I'm being greedy or pigish and want the WRR too. You advice, as well as that of Outwardbound, is well time and I will be patient, bide my time, and look for a good deal while saving my pennies for a better time to buy. Thanks for your response. I still want the WRR, but I will act more responsibly and make myself wait. I can be big...
LIMNCS #51
Bill_Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:50 AM   #27476
1 Wheel Drive
Flatus Antiquous

Quote:
I'll have to check my stock set up at home, but the black line across shaft should be where the face of the valve is. It opens when reaches higher RPM. Now there is a chance the owner of bike in vid put the cables on backwards. If valve is way I think it is, valve is operating just as myself and wiki is saying it is. I'll confirm( or not) tonight.
Bingo. I think you've just nailed it!!

Here is an illustration from the EXUP cable adjustment section of factory service manual. I have rotated the illustration to put it into the same orientation as the video. (cable 1 bottom, cable 2 top)

Now compare the location of the two cable end holes in the pulley, and the length of the #1 and #2 cable to those in seen at rest in the video:

It is pretty clear from the illustration that the pulley should be rotated CW a considerable amount from the stop (against the pulley's spring tension) when installing the cables. But if the cables were reversed it would result in what is seen in that video. I'll bet that a picture of your EXUP valve will confirm that.

Thanks for sticking with it long enough to clear up the confusion caused by that video.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:02 AM   #27477
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer: 2,198
It's happening again......

Bike sputters & coughs when the key is turned first thing in the morning......battery is strong.......teases a bit.......but won't fire........so I bump it down the driveway, let it run for a few minutes, and it's good the rest of the day......starts right up with a flick of the button once warm........thought it was just a clogged injecter before and thought the issue was resolved with fuel additive......nope.......open to suggestions.....

Coil?
Throttle body?
injector?
http://www.WhereAmIRiding.com
Crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:14 AM   #27478
thumpididump
MacGyver

Oddometer: 2,403
hmm. Never knew Staintune made a system for our little 250. Looks different from the rest of the crowd. And doesn't require repacking?? I like that.

Is it just a slip-on with mid-pipe, or is it a full system with a header pipe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreckledAvenger View Post
Looks like the Staintune exhaust ...

http://www.staintune.com.au/exhausts...AMS_WR25RX.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpididump View Post
What kind of muffler is that?

FY-YFF
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R
thumpididump is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:54 AM   #27479
coresports
coresports

Oddometer: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
Bike sputters & coughs when the key is turned first thing in the morning......battery is strong.......teases a bit.......but won't fire........so I bump it down the driveway, let it run for a few minutes, and it's good the rest of the day......starts right up with a flick of the button once warm........thought it was just a clogged injecter before and thought the issue was resolved with fuel additive......nope.......open to suggestions.....

Coil?
Throttle body?
injector?
weak fuel pump? i don't have a reason and i can't remember from your previous posts if this was an early 08 or if you have already ruled this out, just a guess.

good luck and i hope you get it resolved!
coresports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:00 AM   #27480
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,858
When I was having some hard start and stumbling problems, it was a low idle. Check your idle speed and bump it up if need be, after I did that the bike started and ran great again.

Otherwise, I'd suggest a new plug and/or coil (esp if the bike is older, there was a noticeable difference in performance and smoothness when I replaced mine at 25k miles). Doesn't sound like a fuel pump to me, though thats the big bugabear everyone wants to blame any running problem one. Fuel pumps tend to have problems once warmed, not starting, except when they don't start. Or something like that.
skierd is online now   Reply With Quote