Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2012, 02:11 PM   #28081
10Cup
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdon View Post
I have an 09 WE 250R with the Safari tank. In the name of research I ran the gas down in the wings to see how much fuel could be used.
It seems that when the bike starts running on the vacuum pump that it won't feed the gas fast enough or something.
Gas visible in the wings maybe 4' deep and the bike would run out and die. I could shake the bike back and forth and it would pick up and run for another couple of miles at reduced speed. Rode it that way for about 20 miles to the station with it dieing every few miles. Put 3.2 gallons in a 3.6 gallon tank.
Was running on the highway and fuel was same level on both sides.
Has any of you had this problem?
Could my vacuum pump be bad?
Is it possible that my diverter on the fuel pump is not properly installed?

What do you think?
There are those that say that they never have this problem....but they do and you just confirmed it. Here is how you fix it permanently.

10Cup Mod
10Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:12 PM   #28082
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
Just off the phone with the shop......I'm told the top end is just plain "worn out" after ~13K miles.....valves, piston, rings.....even cylinder.......THAT surprised me.......one of the reasons I bought the WR250R was because of maintenance intervals/ability to take the abuse.....so much for that theory.....they're working up the estimate........I'm in no rush to hear it.....

That surprises the hell out of me too, especially considering I'm sitting at over 38,000 miles. Did you forget the air filter for a couple rides or something? Any chance you have a warranty still?
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:16 PM   #28083
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer: 2,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by skierd View Post
That surprises the hell out of me too, especially considering I'm sitting at over 38,000 miles. Did you forget the air filter for a couple rides or something? Any chance you have a warranty still?
Air filter cleaned as needed. Perhaps I should've changed the oil more frequently than every ~3K? The Kings of the West event may have been a big contributor......that was WOT all day for 4 days.....who knows......

Spoke to them about extended warranty......was told warranty won't cover "worn out" just defective.....
http://www.WhereAmIRiding.com
Crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:58 PM   #28084
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdon View Post
I have an 09 WE 250R with the Safari tank. In the name of research I ran the gas down in the wings to see how much fuel could be used.
It seems that when the bike starts running on the vacuum pump that it won't feed the gas fast enough or something.
Gas visible in the wings maybe 4' deep and the bike would run out and die. I could shake the bike back and forth and it would pick up and run for another couple of miles at reduced speed. Rode it that way for about 20 miles to the station with it dieing every few miles. Put 3.2 gallons in a 3.6 gallon tank.
Was running on the highway and fuel was same level on both sides.
Has any of you had this problem?
Could my vacuum pump be bad?
Is it possible that my diverter on the fuel pump is not properly installed?

What do you think?
I have no clue, but when I installed mine, I just followed the instructions. I probably didn't tie the pickup tube down as I should. None the less, before my big trip in the Rockies, I tested my range to 170 miles here in Boston. The fuel light came on about 145 miles, but I knew that wasn't right. Turns out I didn't adjust the fuel pickup to match the big tank. At 170 miles, my 3.7 gallon tank took only 2.7 gallons, so I knew there was a lot more than I needed for a particular section of my route.

Just before the real challenge in WY, I had an opportunity to run the tank out with little delay if I did. It never did run out at 210 miles and took 3.3 gallons at the pump. I was golden.

I figure my tank has a range of some 230 miles, but I'll take that 210.

I think you need to ride to the end to see what you have. I needed 200 miles on that leg so my 210 was enough.

Is there a better way?

Pantah screwed with this post 04-13-2012 at 03:05 PM
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:04 PM   #28085
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,858
Quote:
Air filter cleaned as needed. Perhaps I should've changed the oil more frequently than every ~3K? The Kings of the West event may have been a big contributor......that was WOT all day for 4 days.....who knows......

Spoke to them about extended warranty......was told warranty won't cover "worn out" just defective.....
Yeah, but 'worn out' unreasonably early is defective. Especially since you know of at least half a dozen bikes with 3x your mileage. And you know you've kept the bike clean and well maintained. They shouldn't just 'wear out'. Fuck man, if they worn out from riding at WOT for days in adverse weather and road conditions mine should have left me stranded somewhere in the Arizona desert or on any of the times I crossed the plains or did a full season of hard dual sport rides back home.
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:43 PM   #28086
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,503
Crawdaddy what a bummer! Something other than normal wear contributed to this. I gotta believe something from the factory build was not quite right? I doubt anything in your maintanance schedule did this. I have 10,000 now & hope to go much furthur with out a rebuild.
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:46 PM   #28087
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,503
I have had the Safari for over 2 years & have many fill ups of 3.3 or more with out any sputtering before fill up. Have also run a 14/47 sprocket set up all the way, am about 200 lbs with gear & for me will climb about anything & run pavement at 65+ comfortably.

AZ TOM screwed with this post 04-13-2012 at 04:10 PM
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:59 PM   #28088
The Breeze
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by syspig View Post
I'm sure this is mentioned here somewhere, but these mega threads can be an absolute bitch to search through...

How many links are required with a 14/50 setup?
I have a 112 link chain, with 14/50, D606 tires, on an "R". When I installed the new chain/sprockets.....the rear D606 was about 50% worn. There is plenty of clearance......and while it would be tight, I think a new D606 would clear, as well.

I wanted to ability to switch to a 13 counter sprocket to turn this bike into a tractor off-road, and therefore I went with the shortest chain possible. That way, the chain wouldn't be too long with the 13 tooth sprocket.

So like I said, I think (but cannot guarantee) that a 112 link chain will work with a brand new D606.......but, if you want to be sure, you may want to go with a 113 link. I assume it's O.K. to run with an odd number of links in the chain.

Hope this helps.
The Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:46 PM   #28089
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,740
Quote:
Just off the phone with the shop......I'm told the top end is just plain "worn out" after ~13K miles.....valves, piston, rings.....even cylinder.......THAT surprised me.......one of the reasons I bought the WR250R was because of maintenance intervals/ability to take the abuse.....so much for that theory.....they're working up the estimate........I'm in no rush to hear it.....
ask to see the parts and then do the athena kit.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:59 PM   #28090
Cromoth
Inspection due 5_31

Oddometer: 538
fuses & coolant mod

So I had the pleasure of replacing the 10A fuse for signal lights. (It's in the box next to the coolant reservoir). There's an extra 10A so I wasn't out of luck but the way it's held it was impossible to get out - without the help of a special tool I would not have out on the road/trail. To fix & make the 10A fuse possible to get out, just drill & cut a slot in the top side that holds the 10A. Now the tip of a knife will help guide it out. The spare 7.5A can be removed by fingernail.

I also noticed the coolant reservoir tank cap was off angle, like it was half closed. Fluid is at the min mark, cold, so I don't know if any has leaked out but I don't want to chance it so a zip tie to help hold the cap on is all I think it needs.
Cromoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:13 PM   #28091
Bgunn
Mucha distancia

Oddometer: 1,316
Quote:

Its strange that the only problem is a cold start, and runs fine the rest of the day. Have you ridden another WR for comparison?

Worn out, seems like it would run poorly all the time.
Bgunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:35 PM   #28092
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,786
Quote:
yeah, something not right. If piston and rings were worn out, it would not run sometimes and not other times. It would never wanna run right. Everything Japan ever makes has clear specs on everything...get someone that knows what they are doing, get a caliper(vernier http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vernier_scale ), and check everything.

Like someone else said, get the parts if you let them do this work.
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:17 PM   #28093
zriding
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Just off the phone with the shop......I'm told the top end is just plain "worn out" after ~13K miles.....valves, piston, rings.....even cylinder.......
Try to do some of the work yourself. You can sub out the head work. You have access to some very good mechanics that will either help or at least steer you in the right direction. Even if you have it apart for month or two you will learn something along the way and it will save you some $$. The most important part is you have another bike to ride while the WRr is being 'modified'. Just a thought. Until it we ride again...
zriding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:26 PM   #28094
rydnseek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by zriding View Post
Try to do some of the work yourself. You can sub out the head work. You have access to some very good mechanics that will either help or at least steer you in the right direction. Even if you have it apart for month or two you will learn something along the way and it will save you some $$. The most important part is you have another bike to ride while the WRr is being 'modified'. Just a thought. Until it we ride again...
Are you kidding? Craw daddy has about 20 bikes.. all of them fully tricked out.. i'm not sure what he did to the poor wr.. all of that violent riding & pushing the envelope finally took its toll. Even the solid wr250 is no match for Chris's hard CORE riding..
rydnseek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:58 PM   #28095
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Cup View Post
There are those that say that they never have this problem....but they do and you just confirmed it. Here is how you fix it permanently.

10Cup Mod
10Cup your mod looks great but looks like a lot of trouble for the few times that I would need it. I have a little over 6,000 miles on mine and have just now experienced the problem. I did it then on purpose. I would like to use all the gas if I needed too.

How would it be to just block off the right side and then lean the bike over to use the fuel just out of the left side.

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
bigdon is online now   Reply With Quote