Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2012, 12:50 PM   #28876
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,689
>"I have AIS removed, and flapper mod; but stock exhaust w/ EXUP in place, stock mapping, and stock header.I notice no difference from before the mods to after."

Mods to exhaust + custom mapping makes the big difference.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:44 PM   #28877
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 2,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by WW Ronin View Post
I'm gonna try the UTBDR with my WR in a couple months. I think this little bike will be fine for longer trips. I am breaking down and going for a Renazco seat though.
Looking forward to your trip report, me and 3 other guys from Oregon are planning on riding the UTBDR the last two weeks in July. Two of us have WR250's, should be fun.

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:28 PM   #28878
Honkey Cat
Tailights Fade!

Oddometer: 1,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by WW Ronin View Post
So I see the Scott's damper and Wolfman rack (I've got both of those). Larger fuel tank (I'm still carrying Rotopax on my Wolfmans). Fastway pegs? (I'm a sucker for Pivot pegs). New bars and a GPS rack on the front? You need some guards on those bars (Highway dirt bikes). And those are some wide ass wheels bro. You ride lots of sand?
Sweet looking WR.
I'm gonna try the UTBDR with my WR in a couple months. I think this little bike will be fine for longer trips. I am breaking down and going for a Renazco seat though.
Oh yeah, hand guards are going to be installed this weekend, and I'm changing out to a hdb top clamp and re doing the switches for a cleaner look.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:30 PM   #28879
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by jawn View Post
So, I feel like a moron. I'm trying to figure out which handlebars to get to replace my bent OEM ones. Unfortunately, I didn't have enough seat time to form a solid opinion on the stock bend. I've seen all the charts and how to measure, but my small, feeble brain can't make a decision.

I like the idea of some fat bars, and the Easton EXPs are a great price at motorsport (http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/EA...BAR-MOUNT-KIT#). I just don't know which bend to choose. Any advice?

I'm 5'11", 32 inseam, very attractive if that matters.
That's a helluva good price on fatbars with clamps!

So far the only fatbars I've tried were the Windham/RM Mid ProTaper Evo's. I really liked them compared to the stock bars, not not enough to spend the money to replace my mostly good stock handlebars I have on there now. I might do it eventually again, if I keep the WRX.
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:55 PM   #28880
YamahaTN
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
So, I feel like a moron. I'm trying to figure out which handlebars to get to replace my bent OEM ones. Unfortunately, I didn't have enough seat time to form a solid opinion on the stock bend. I've seen all the charts and how to measure, but my small, feeble brain can't make a decision.

I like the idea of some fat bars, and the Easton EXPs are a great price at motorsport (http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/EA...BAR-MOUNT-KIT#). I just don't know which bend to choose. Any advice?

I have the Easton bars............ Woods Bend. Got 'em on my WR. Threaded the ends of them and put bark busters on 'em. You could pick my bike up with a crane by the bark busters.
YamahaTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:10 PM   #28881
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,786
Bars

I had asked the same question about which bars were closest to stock, and if I recall, the Henry/Reed bend is what a couple had replied with. I had bought Protapers with that bend.

Of course, with singe track here in NJ, with trees every couple feet, and my innate ability to crash into them, I bent them.

I then replaced them with another Protaper set, but went with a Carmichael bend instead. Due to the previously mentioned trees on trail, we usually cut our bars down to 28-29 " or so. The Carmichael bends have a smaller section at the clamps, so then more room on the outer parts to cut down..and easier to get controls where I like them.

I liked them enough to get a set and mount on my KTM too.
DougZ73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:39 PM   #28882
Jungle Man
frenzied adventurer

Oddometer: 371
>"I have AIS removed, and flapper mod; but stock exhaust w/ EXUP in place, stock mapping, and stock header.I notice no difference from before the mods to after."

I will probably do this just to save weight as well and that way I am ready to throw in a new exhaust and programmer when the time comes. Plus it is one less thing to get messed up on the trail.
"If you're too busy to hunt and fish, you're too busy"
Jase-Duck Dynasty
Jungle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:38 PM   #28883
Mr. Fisherman
Ray soon to be AWAY!

Oddometer: 10,494
It's all Scotty's failt...

Sometimes you do something to your bike that just makes you giggle...

Just about all set for my big trip of the year...

Scotty, remind me the pressures you run?
I put in Moose Racing heavy duty tubes. They weighed more than the tires I bought from you last year
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 06:38 PM   #28884
rydnseek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fisherman View Post

I put in Moose Racing heavy duty tubes. They weighed more than the tires I bought from you last year
Now that is a cool bike..

for all around pressures, the shinkos will run anywhere at ~ 20 psi. If you get into really gnarly terrain, sand, mud, or want to soften the ride up a bit, you can go down to even 5# & they will still perform. If i'm doing a lot of long pavement, i'll bump it up to 32#.

some ppl might think the bike looks funny set up like this, but i think it just works. You've got the range, the off road capability, & can really go anywhere. Looks like a great setup with the the wind screen. That helps a lot with long hiway sections. It will work offroad, too, but it is more vulnerable. Is that the spiral seat on there? It looks like you also have a standoff for the pipe.. have some panniers that go there?

Good luck on the trip & take lots of pics!
rydnseek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:54 PM   #28885
Mr. Fisherman
Ray soon to be AWAY!

Oddometer: 10,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydnseek View Post
Now that is a cool bike..

for all around pressures, the shinkos will run anywhere at ~ 20 psi. If you get into really gnarly terrain, sand, mud, or want to soften the ride up a bit, you can go down to even 5# & they will still perform. If i'm doing a lot of long pavement, i'll bump it up to 32#.

some ppl might think the bike looks funny set up like this, but i think it just works. You've got the range, the off road capability, & can really go anywhere. Looks like a great setup with the the wind screen. That helps a lot with long hiway sections. It will work offroad, too, but it is more vulnerable. Is that the spiral seat on there? It looks like you also have a standoff for the pipe.. have some panniers that go there?

Good luck on the trip & take lots of pics!
The wind screen adjusts up and down. In the low position it is fine off road. On road, is is awesome and the lighting is the best I have had on a motorcycle.

That is a standoff from Giantloop. I have their Mojavi and a Coyote... here is a pic from last years big trip...

I had the Mojave sandwiched under the coyote...

This year, I am going a different route... I am still waiting on a few parts.. more pics later but here is a teaser...

I will likely run the Coyote and Fandango for day trips out of camp. There will be a couple extra gallons of gas mounted to the brackets on the trailer... I may add one more gallon of gas and a gallon of water... I am going out to stay out. Wait until you see my camp

I am stoked
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:56 PM   #28886
XB12R
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,105
Quote:

I'd like to help ya out but Im a moron too. I'd like to take advantage of that great deal on bars also. My consern is I feel I need a taller bar as I'm not comfortable standing on the pegs when things get rough. I don't want to have cable / wiring problems and I dont know how high I can go. I feel I need the bars about 1" taller, what bend should I get to get the height I need but without cable/wiring problems? Thanks for posting the link for the Easton bars.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:06 PM   #28887
frozenice
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
It's back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenice View Post
Ok, not sure what I did, but the light is out. I disconnected and re-connected the battery cables at the terminals. I jumped the clutch switch wires. The light stayed on. I ran the bike for about 5 minutes at idle in the driveway and stared at it. The light went out. Hopefully it stays out. Thanks for all your help.

Well now it is back on. I started it and left it idle in the driveway for about 5 minutes and the light is back. If I go into diagnostic mode it shows zero for #61 and #63 but 1 for #62. I flip the kill switch and the 1 does never turns to zero. I've tried to repeat what I did before to make it go out, but it hasn't happened again. Any ideas where to look next?
frozenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 04:16 AM   #28888
jglow
Two wheeled traveler

Oddometer: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fisherman View Post

Mr. Fisherman... What made you go with the 17" setup? Just curious (i may have missed it earlier)

jordan
jglow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 04:40 AM   #28889
rydnseek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenice View Post
Well now it is back on. I started it and left it idle in the driveway for about 5 minutes and the light is back. If I go into diagnostic mode it shows zero for #61 and #63 but 1 for #62. I flip the kill switch and the 1 does never turns to zero. I've tried to repeat what I did before to make it go out, but it hasn't happened again. Any ideas where to look next?
You might check that clutch switch connection.. since it broke, there could be a bad splice. if you disconnected the stand switch, that might be suspect. I had mine disconnected & tucked away for a couple of years, then it suddenly got a bad connection.

Another suspect might be the tip over switch. If you rearranged it at all, or if it got moved, a connection there might be off. aka lean angle sensor.

One other suspect.. one that i had. there is a plug that comes from the key switch that connects next to the radiator, under the tank. I had that pop off one time in a crash, & it took a while to trace it to that. Of course, you have no power if that one is off, so that's probably not it.

Good luck.. tracing down electrical probs can be a challenge!
Old 06-02-2012, 04:44 AM   #28890
rydnseek
Beastly Adventurer

Another thought! Do you have the exup in place? A code is thrown if you disconnect that, & you have to put a resistor to fool it, or a board. Or if the plug to the exup got pulled out, it would throw a code.

That is the ony problem? The cel is on, otherwise it starts & runs fine?