Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2012, 03:58 AM   #30121
simmons1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post
I have 2 questions if anyone can assist :-

1/ Does anyone know if they still manufacture Sweet Cheeks seat covers? It appears there website no longer operates.
Perhaps I should get the Airhawk seat cover?
2/ Can I run 14/43 sprocket setup successfully? I've the Athena BB kit on road tyres and the WR seems to over-rev at
highway speeds ( in Oz that's 100-110 kph or 60-65 mph). I'm planning a 700 klm highway trip soon, rider and gear
will weigh in at approx' 100 kg (220 lbs) so I guess it's not too heavy.

Thank you in advance once again, John.

Edit. Oops, currently running stock 13/43 sprockets.
Try here:

http://cycle-analyst.com/sweetcheeks
Old 08-16-2012, 04:18 AM   #30122
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sewerat View Post
And that is the reason I never opted for a cheap vacuum pump to feed the expensive injected pump. I was willing to carry my extra gallon in a rotopax.

Sorry I can not help you but chances are your vacuum line has fallen off or been pinched someplace. Also remember that a motor creates its highest vacuum at idle so under wide open throttle where you need the most gas the pump is being starved of its vacuum to keep it running. I know they work for others but not going on my bike.
I have the IMS 4.75-gallon tank (it actually held 4.82 gallons) and ran it out of gas on purpose as a test right after installing - 237 miles riding hard - and there was still around 1/2 gallon in the wing bottoms.

I've since learned that the vacuum pump/fuel pump on these tanks needs a modification to allow it to use that last bit of gas in the wings. It seems the fuel pumped up from the lower wings by the vacuum pump exits from a hose spewing upward at the top of the stock fuel pump and once the level gets below a point where it can puddle around the stock pump it's starved for gas. The solution some have done is to place a dome-shaped piece of aluminum or plastic above the outlet hose from the vacuum pump to deflect the spewing fuel downward where it needs to go.

Maybe I'll make one of these deflectors next time I need to remove the tank. But hey, after having to search for gas beginning at 70 miles with the stock tank and now not having to worry about it until over 200 miles, it hasn't really been a problem. I haven't been too concerned about that last half gallon (good for maybe another 25 miles?) in the wings.

And carrying extra fuel in a Rotopax or similar (I had a look-alike 1.5 gallon can in another brand) always seemed silly to me compared to a larger tank because where ever you put the extra gas can is not going to be as efficient or balanced as just having a larger tank. The times I carried it on trips - mine was mounted to the tail rack - it always seemed in the way and filling it or using it to fill the stock tank was always a hassle because I had other stuff strapped atop the gas can. Besides, even if I carried an extra two gallons in Rotopax strapped to the bike somewhere I'd still have less useable fuel than with my tank, even taking into account the bit that cannot be used at present.
GSBS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 04:57 AM   #30123
ADVCoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 760
I actually like the stock gearing. I am 210lbs. If my bike won't pull a hill in 6th, there's this thing called a gear shift and I just click it down once or twice and it's good to go .
Old 08-16-2012, 05:50 AM   #30124
pfy50
Professional nOOb

Oddometer: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBS View Post
I have the IMS 4.75-gallon tank (it actually held 4.82 gallons) and ran it out of gas on purpose as a test right after installing - 237 miles riding hard - and there was still around 1/2 gallon in the wing bottoms.

I've since learned that the vacuum pump/fuel pump on these tanks needs a modification to allow it to use that last bit of gas in the wings. It seems the fuel pumped up from the lower wings by the vacuum pump exits from a hose spewing upward at the top of the stock fuel pump and once the level gets below a point where it can puddle around the stock pump it's starved for gas. The solution some have done is to place a dome-shaped piece of aluminum or plastic above the outlet hose from the vacuum pump to deflect the spewing fuel downward where it needs to go.

Maybe I'll make one of these deflectors next time I need to remove the tank. But hey, after having to search for gas beginning at 70 miles with the stock tank and now not having to worry about it until over 200 miles, it hasn't really been a problem. I haven't been too concerned about that last half gallon (good for maybe another 25 miles?) in the wings.

And carrying extra fuel in a Rotopax or similar (I had a look-alike 1.5 gallon can in another brand) always seemed silly to me compared to a larger tank because where ever you put the extra gas can is not going to be as efficient or balanced as just having a larger tank. The times I carried it on trips - mine was mounted to the tail rack - it always seemed in the way and filling it or using it to fill the stock tank was always a hassle because I had other stuff strapped atop the gas can. Besides, even if I carried an extra two gallons in Rotopax strapped to the bike somewhere I'd still have less useable fuel than with my tank, even taking into account the bit that cannot be used at present.
TNX GSBS,

I think Sewerat was writing in response to my inquiry just above him. In the Safari tank the scavenged fuel from the wings is brought up by the vacuum pump and thru a second line is dumped directly to the primary fuel pump pickup.(theoretically). My vacuum pump doesn't seem to bring the fuel down (thru the secondary line) to the fuel pump sump area even though there appears to be fuel in the wing pickup lines. The reason I went with the larger tank was so I could get a 200 mile range without resorting to the extra weight of the rotopax/koplin method and expense, and just carry a rolled up 4L. fuel bladder for those few times when I may need it up in Canada or Alaska (need a 250 mile range)
pfy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:22 AM   #30125
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post
I have 2 questions if anyone can assist :-

1/ Does anyone know if they still manufacture Sweet Cheeks seat covers? It appears there website no longer operates.
Perhaps I should get the Airhawk seat cover?
2/ Can I run 14/43 sprocket setup successfully? I've the Athena BB kit on road tyres and the WR seems to over-rev at
highway speeds ( in Oz that's 100-110 kph or 60-65 mph). I'm planning a 700 klm highway trip soon, rider and gear
will weigh in at approx' 100 kg (220 lbs) so I guess it's not too heavy.

Thank you in advance once again, John.

Edit. Oops, currently running stock 13/43 sprockets.
1) I have no idea

2) Stock will work, but you'll be using 5th gear a lot and winding it up even further than you would if you'd gear it down to 13/46 or 13/47 and keep it in 6th.
Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:41 AM   #30126
jon_l
Southern Ontario

Oddometer: 2,639
tire size vs sprocket size

I'm planning to order a new rear tire this Fall, as well as change the gearing.

Current rear = OEM Trailwing
Current gearing = 12 / 43

I like this gearing pretty well (it was done by original owner), but the small front sprocket makes me nervous, as it brings the chain closer to the swingarm. I have the OEM front sprocket, with virtually no mileage on it.

If 12 / 43 = 13 / 46, I am thinking 13 / 47 would be perfect, with the current rear tire.

I am likely to go to a T-63 120/80-18, which I have read is a fairly true-to-size tire. Some other tires I am considering though are apparently much larger diameter (MT-43 for example).

How much does the difference in rear tire affect the gearing? To compensate for a larger tire, should I go up 1 tooth?

As sprockets and chains outlast rear tires, I'd hate to achieve gearing I really like only to have it change with each tire-swap.

Am I over-thinking this?
Old 08-16-2012, 07:00 AM   #30127
sturgeon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 881
Theory of the year: tires wear
Corollary: they get smaller

I'm running T63s with 13/48. I always seem to notice a change in height when I put on new tires, regardless of bike. After the first 50 km or so, I don't notice any more.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:09 AM   #30128
byron555
Lame Duck Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,005
Not yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramz View Post
Did you plug the vent hole? I imagine you would get water inside the tube if you didn't. Have you tested it in mud and water conditions - partial or full immersion?
I did notice the vent hole, but have not plugged it yet... No tools in the tube right now. I will be plugging the hole prior to real use.

The tire does hit on full compression, but not too bad, and the tube the way it is mounted has some give to it. This is more for longer, heavier load rides and is easily removed with the hwy pegs for lightweight more aggressive riding
Oil changed @ 14300... filter next
byron555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:30 AM   #30129
jon_l
Southern Ontario

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturgeon View Post
Theory of the year: tires wear
Corollary: they get smaller

I'm running T63s with 13/48. I always seem to notice a change in height when I put on new tires, regardless of bike. After the first 50 km or so, I don't notice any more.
No doubt tires wear, but people have noted their gearing feels different when they change to a taller tire. A new MT-43 is apparently considerably larger than a new T-63. If adding a tooth now compensates, I'd like to know.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:32 AM   #30130
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 9,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by byron555 View Post
I did notice the vent hole, but have not plugged it yet... No tools in the tube right now. I will be plugging the hole prior to real use.

The tire does hit on full compression, but not too bad, and the tube the way it is mounted has some give to it. This is more for longer, heavier load rides and is easily removed with the hwy pegs for lightweight more aggressive riding
I personally dislike the variety of home made tool tubes attached to the skid plate. I'm more of a "minimum is maximum" kind of guy. But it's your rig, so carry on.

I will tell you that if the tire is hitting it you are creating a hazardous situation; at some point the tire is going to cause it to break off, or debris will impact it and break it off or open.

I have the same ASC tube on my Strom, under the luggage rack, and it has served me well there. However, I installed one on the subframe near where the OEM toolbox used to be and it lasted about a month due to the harder use the WR gets. In a more vulnerable position like where yours is, I wouldn't see it lasting even that long.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:19 AM   #30131
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post

Am I over-thinking this?
Yes.

I run 13/47 on my bike, fwiw.
Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:06 AM   #30132
jon_l
Southern Ontario

Thanks Krabill
Old 08-16-2012, 10:12 AM   #30133
Gryphon12
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 953
I've been away from this thread for awhile.

Regarding Monkey's question regarding 14/43 gearing, here is the range of gearing that I've seen discussed on this thread, for what it's worth. I've deleted everything with a 12 tooth countershaft sprocket due to the wear issues, and the fact that you can get almost anything you want without a 12 CS sprocket. Notes on the side are mine, cribbed from other posters here on the site. Note: 13/43 is stock gearing. Monkey asked about 14/43, which is a lower ratio than most street-based supermotos.

ratioftrrcomment
3.311343Stock
3.431448AZ Tom favorite
3.541346Best compromise? Chadx=OK
3.571450Big Dog AK trip
3.621347Krabill; checked at 90 mph
3.691348Chadx favorite w/ D606
3.711452go 13/48
3.851350tall!
4.001352very tall!

If there is a consensus here it is that 13/46 or 13/47 is a good overall compromise, that will go 90 mph with the right tires. Tires do matter when selecting your gearing. Going 14/46 gets you just below stock gearing, which is good for the street, while 14/43 is quite low, with some suggesting that you won't be able to "pull" 6th gear at this ratio of 3.07:1. From what I can tell, going 13/46 or 47 or 48 leaves you room to go with a 14 tooth CS for longer street rides without having to change your chain length. The only place this won't work is on very rough terrain when you really need gearing taller than 3.70:1 (e.g. 13/50 or 13/52). Any choice is a compromise. Choose yours.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Gryphon12 screwed with this post 08-16-2012 at 02:34 PM Reason: Type-o
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:38 AM   #30134
simmons1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,144
I have had good luck with 13/47 every where except at real high elevation, +10K feet, where I would have liked lower gearing.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:11 PM   #30135
monkey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Re sprockets

Thanks chaps, got the Sweet Cheeks site. Yeah, I feel she needs longer legs, I can accelerate up a gradual incline, in 6th, whilst doing 100 kph so power's not an issue. As suggested, I'll chuck on the 14t c/s and see how she goes, an inexpensive trial. The ratio breakdown suggests this is my first step, tyre size dictates this further. I'm considering Distazias 150/70 18 in the future, these have a high profile too.

Thanks, John.