Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2012, 03:36 AM   #31291
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefyInertia View Post
Dang that is more than I was Hoping the fuel pumps would be. Thanks for the info.

I have an 08 with original fuel pump but just bought the iMS 4.7 so I was thinking about getting a spare pump....reconsidering now.
It's your money, so easy for me to say, but if I had an 08 with the OEM fuel pump and a new tank about to install, I think I would install a new pump, and save the original one as a spare.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:20 AM   #31292
GotMojo?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
It's your money, so easy for me to say, but if I had an 08 with the OEM fuel pump and a new tank about to install, I think I would install a new pump, and save the original one as a spare.
I did that exact thing. When I put the IMS 3.1 tank on my '08 I figured it would be a good time to change the fuel pump, just in case.
GotMojo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:39 AM   #31293
PYG RYDR
Adventure-Dual Sport

Oddometer: 343
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotMojo? View Post
I did that exact thing. When I put the IMS 3.1 tank on my '08 I figured it would be a good time to change the fuel pump, just in case.
I also added a new fuel pump when I installed my 4.7 IMS tank. I did not like spending the $200+, but decided it was worth the money to not be stuck out on the trail unexpectedly...
There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it.
Only the wisest of humans achieve the second.
Logan Pearsall Smith
PYG RYDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:09 AM   #31294
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
Eh, I'm stingy as hell, so I wouldn't spend the extra $200 on a new pump unless I was planning on a huge ride in the near future. The fuel pump failures generally start out intermittent, so it shouldn't strand you, if you're within a reasonable distance from home.

If you got the new big gas tank to do the TAT or Alaska or CDR or something, then spend the extra $200 for the peace of mind.
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:05 AM   #31295
OldPete
Be aware

Oddometer: 3,644
Sorry to post again w/o an R2... Yet.

K&N? Do some serious research as they are kinda OK for street but not dusty conditions and yes I have used them on Guzzis & a Ducati.

Fuel pump issues have been noted on other bikes that use the same internal 30mm pump motor. The outer white plastic housings may differ but the black motor is the same.

The issue can be found at the WR250R/X forum. The impeller drags when hot, that's why a cool down starts it working again or slapping the tank.

Read the top of Rick's parts page... http://www.rickramsey.net/WR250R1011.htm

The 25yo in me wants a 690 Enduro. The 60+ geezer that I am knows the R2 is enough. (I'm an old mechanic gear-head BTW)
OldPete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:32 AM   #31296
mpatch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPete View Post
Sorry to post again w/o an R2... Yet.

K&N? Do some serious research as they are kinda OK for street but not dusty conditions and yes I have used them on Guzzis & a Ducati.

Fuel pump issues have been noted on other bikes that use the same internal 30mm pump motor. The outer white plastic housings may differ but the black motor is the same.

The issue can be found at the WR250R/X forum. The impeller drags when hot, that's why a cool down starts it working again or slapping the tank.

Read the top of Rick's parts page... http://www.rickramsey.net/WR250R1011.htm

The 25yo in me wants a 690 Enduro. The 60+ geezer that I am knows the R2 is enough. (I'm an old mechanic gear-head BTW)
You need to use a wet type filter if you ride off road IMO. No matter what the bike is unless you live somewhere that there is no dust and you don't ride gravel.
mpatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:42 AM   #31297
what broke now
Petroleum Brother

Oddometer: 1,061
"Fuel pump issues have been noted on other bikes that use the same internal 30mm pump motor. The outer white plastic housings may differ but the black motor is the same."

Inmate "Austin Jake" has done some r&d on using a 30mm pump sold by California Cycleworks to fit in the stock holder of a Husky [ I think ] He has about 10k miles on the pump at this time without problems. The Cal Cycle pump may just be built to a higher spec. than other oem pumps, .. who knows. Cal Cycle has a reputation to preserve. I will install one if I get any more crap-out behavior from mine; I replaced it proactivly with a new one, and it stopped me on the trail anyway.

And for gad sake, if you covet a chicken sandwich but have never eaten one before, do not presume to mislead others with your suspicion of its quality and flavor, as you are merely speculating!
what broke now is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:47 AM   #31298
Old_Crow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by StG View Post
Old Crow - I already have a skid plate & handguards. Do most of you put on radiator guards - I'm not sure if I read some people having heating issues? Living in the SW desert, the roads/trails can get a bit rocky, but also pretty darn hot.
Most people who off road these bikes have both radiator guard and skid plate. GET the radiator guard. I bent my radiator during my first crash with this bike. It didn't have a hole and it doesn't leak but it was a wake up call about just how exposed the radiator itself is. Crush protection is the main function, with rock protection a secondary benefit. Most overheating issues i've heard of with the WRR are related to a malfunctioning fan (incorrect re-install specifically). But the radiator is simply too expensive to gamble with... i needed a slap on the wrist to learn this but you can learn from my mistake. It should be upgrade #1. When you re-install the fan just make sure the blades turn and everything's hooked up properly and you're good.
Old_Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:52 AM   #31299
f1isbest
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpididump View Post
Ride report from my recent trip in Colorado.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=825728
Hey I am one of the "dudes" you guys saw at the bar near moffet tunnel. :) Did not realize this was one of those epic journeys. Too bad about the freaking cop crap. We are very fortunate to be able to ride in this terrain on day trips, but now the snow has covered everything up.
Friday we head to the pawnee national grasslands for some sand and canyon riding in NE Colorado.
Cheers!
Bob
Flapper box Modification
Many Add-ons from Dirt Freak DRC hardware.
f1isbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:26 AM   #31300
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 9,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by PYG RYDR View Post
I also added a new fuel pump when I installed my 4.7 IMS tank. I did not like spending the $200+, but decided it was worth the money to not be stuck out on the trail unexpectedly...

I had to buy one a couple months ago. $406 from Arizona Yamaha in Phoenix (Cave Creek Rd). I was able to get the old one working, so the new one is a very expensive spare. I keep the bike in Phoenix to visit, and I usually have about 10 days to explore. So I took the pump anyways.
Pantah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:10 AM   #31301
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,646
>" I did not like spending the $200+, but decided it was worth the money to not be stuck out on the trail unexpectedly... "

Ditto. Ordered same. Got the pump 1 day before I went to Baja.
I was unsure about installing a new pump before going on the ride...
so I packed the new pump around 1800 miles in Baja.

Put it on the bike when I got back, interesting, it sounded a bit
different than the 2008 pump, which has since become a spare on
the shelf.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:18 AM   #31302
jckid
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
All this talk about fuel pumps has me wondering, was this truly just an issue with the early models ('08's)? Did they actually change the fuel pump design in later years, or is it the same fuel pump in all years?

WR250X ride report: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=903806
jckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:28 AM   #31303
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by jckid View Post
All this talk about fuel pumps has me wondering, was this truly just an issue with the early models ('08's)? Did they actually change the fuel pump design in later years, or is it the same fuel pump in all years?
It seems more prevalent with the 08's but some have reported issues with 09's and with replacement pumps as well.

My guess is that the only thing that has changed is either the supplier (oem) or the quality control forced on the supplier but not the design itself. The pump is used on several different manufacturer's models and random but infrequent failure is a common theme.

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:30 AM   #31304
simmons1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by jckid View Post
I am not convinced the pump has been improved. I proactively installed a new "improved" pump in mine and it failed after 4000 miles. I reinstalled my "suspect" early 2008 pump and it is working fine at the moment.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:53 AM   #31305
coresports
coresports

Oddometer: 229
Originally Posted by StG
Old Crow - I already have a skid plate & handguards. Do most of you put on radiator guards - I'm not sure if I read some people having heating issues? Living in the SW desert, the roads/trails can get a bit rocky, but also pretty darn hot.

if i remember right it, there was a post about the flatlands possibly causing overheating and in my 'upgrade wish list' i have the moose racing guard down for the winter upgrade season. i tried the thread search & google without much luck looking for the earlier post but i am no computer wiz to be sure, haha
coresports is offline   Reply With Quote