Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2012, 08:26 AM   #31516
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradrh View Post
How about some pix of your mounting system?
I had one of those on my 950SE. Just drill four holes in the headlight shroud plastic and bolt it on. However, I think the plastic on the WR-R is smaller, thinner, flimsier than the shroud on my SE. If it were me I'd reinforce the WR plastic with something to stiffen it. YRMV.

In any case, it was better for looks than for functionality, though it did deflect a minimal amount of wind on my chest.
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:33 AM   #31517
ba_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,434
HDB questions

I'm quickly coming around to the idea of an HDB setup after a simple tip over bent my Cycra handguards.

I do have a few questions:

- I bought Renthal fatbars. I assume I can use the threaded inserts that come with the HDB kit. Can anyone explain how this works?

- I would eventually like to get a Scotts steering stabilizer and install it under the bars (SUB mount). Does anyone have this setup that can share their experiences and possibly some pictures?

Thanks!
Old 11-15-2012, 08:57 AM   #31518
BMW-K
F800GS FTW!

Oddometer: 1,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by ba_ View Post
I'm quickly coming around to the idea of an HDB setup after a simple tip over bent my Cycra handguards.

- I bought Renthal fatbars. I assume I can use the threaded inserts that come with the HDB kit. Can anyone explain how this works?

- I would eventually like to get a Scotts steering stabilizer and install it under the bars (SUB mount). Does anyone have this setup that can share their experiences and possibly some pictures?

Thanks!
Right, so I'm using HDB's and a Henry-Reed bend ProTaper Contour bar. They bolted right into the HDB clamp, no problem.

The HDB kit comes with a tap screw and two heavy duty screws. You tap the end of the handlebar directly and screw into it. There's no insert - you literally thread the handlebar.

I also have the Scotts damper. You need a riser kit to fit the Damper under the bar. I can't quite recall but I believe when I ordered the Scotts kit I was able to order a mounting kit that included the riser to create enough height for under the bar mounting.

All in all, I am super impressed with the setup and it's worked wonders for the WR.

IBA # 20880. STFU and Ride.
BMW-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:28 AM   #31519
sturgeon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 900
Quote:

Thanks!
Paul at HDB will answer all your questions quickly and expertly. I have no affiliation with him; I'm just a satisfied customer. I'm using bars that I bought from him (so inserts pre-installed) and a GPR damper, else I might be able to answer your questions without speculating.

As for tip-overs, I have actually managed to put a very small s-bend in my left one. But that was the result of falling, with the guard directly hitting a large protruding boulder which was probably 2 feet below where my tires were, with a 200-lb rider aboard. I reckon the HDB guards saved a fair bit of damage to the bike (there was none), and possibly major damage to my hand. Nothing the fault of the guards, just operator error. It's so small a bend that I can't be bothered trying to fix it. I'm probably too old and weak to bend it back anyway

sturgeon screwed with this post 11-15-2012 at 09:36 AM
sturgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:14 AM   #31520
PYG RYDR
Adventure-Dual Sport

Oddometer: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
Same thing re: the GYTR rack and Wolfman racks, which also use the same attachment point on the left side. When I inquired, Wolfman advised me by email these 2 are incompatible. I posted the same here, and immediately several people posted photos of GYTR rack and Wolfman racks, proving it can be done.

You are probably correct since you tried it yourself, just saying...
Yes not completely compatible, but I managed to make them work and am very pleased with the result.
There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it.
Only the wisest of humans achieve the second.
Logan Pearsall Smith
PYG RYDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:01 AM   #31521
ba_
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-K View Post
The HDB kit comes with a tap screw and two heavy duty screws. You tap the end of the handlebar directly and screw into it. There's no insert - you literally thread the handlebar.
The Renthal bars I have have an opening on the end that is a small diameter. Is this what you end up tapping?
Old 11-15-2012, 01:15 PM   #31522
BMW-K
F800GS FTW!

Oddometer: 1,161
Quote:
The Renthal bars I have have an opening on the end that is a small diameter. Is this what you end up tapping?

Yep. Tap/thread the whole bar end.

IBA # 20880. STFU and Ride.
BMW-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:24 PM   #31523
ba_
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-K View Post
Yep. Tap/thread the whole bar end.
Thanks. Does anyone have a picture of what this looks like when you are done?
Old 11-15-2012, 02:10 PM   #31524
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 2,560
No picture, but when I recently ordered bars from HDB for a top plate/riser installation he sent me bars with the bar end insert installed even though I wasn't going with the HDB guards. The thread was thread same as my Acerbis Hand Guards that use an expanstion bolt (8mm?). But having the insert threaded into the bar end, makes much more sense and is WAY more secure that what I've used in the past. HDB makes good stuff! Once I totally ruin my existing handguards I will go with HDB's set up for sure.

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:53 PM   #31525
scottmac
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,487
Threading your bars and installing the inserts is a real easy piece of work. Paul sends you the tap with your order
and it will cut threads into your aluminum bars like a hot knife through butter.
scottmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:21 PM   #31526
gmtech
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
for those who have ordered a safari tank for their wr250 in the last 3 months and havnt gottten one look at the vendors thread what i posted

when i emailed aqualine about the hold up on the tanks.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=717160
gmtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:53 PM   #31527
ba_
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmtech View Post
for those who have ordered a safari tank for their wr250 in the last 3 months and havnt gottten one look at the vendors thread what i posted

But you still don't have the tank from justgastanks right?
Old 11-15-2012, 05:02 PM   #31528
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmtech View Post

It's hard to tell what's going on...other than some bs between justgastanks and Aqualine. Looks like I'm going to have to go with IMS. Don't have time to fool with this kind of crap. Good luck though...

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:26 AM   #31529
Gany
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfy50 View Post
TNX WW Ronin,

That is what I needed to find out before doing another this farkle don't fit with that farkle mistake; (Lot of experience with that problem on my KTM 990) Does anyone sell a large area flatplate rack for the rear that just uses the 4 top threaded bolts like the pro moto racks? I'm trying to get a wider mounting surface than the smaller triangle shape racks to support a medium size ortlieb bag and camping gear. Yes you can use the small triangle racks, but I'd like to try for a little more support and attachment points.
Check out the racks Jared makes:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=789255
Gany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:21 AM   #31530
pfy50
Professional nOOb

Oddometer: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzbomber View Post
Yes - these guys. http://www.automotivemachine.com/ind...d=51&Itemid=56

I have their triangle rack and it's worked great for my needs. They don't include attachment bolts though. When I bought mine it didn't come with spacers either but I see they include them now.
TNX Buzzbomber.

I like their X-Big rack; that may be the way I go. Function over form

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gany View Post
Hi Gany,
Yes I've read the article on Jared's racks, but I already have a similar one (triangle shaped) which is aesthetically good on the WRR but functionally it is short changed in load carrying and attachment points for larger than rack size bags. Unless Jared is going to start producing some of those one off square racks for the WRR. I have another few weeks before I'm likely to order anything so I'll keep a watch out.
pfy50 is online now   Reply With Quote