Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2012, 06:11 AM   #31711
jgormley
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 695
Winter starting to set in here a bit in New England today...
Boy do I miss the fall already....

Old 12-01-2012, 09:46 AM   #31712
livetofly
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Question exhaust question

My 08 WRX has an FMF exhaust, but it looks like some of the packing or filler material is starting to come out a little bit right by the exhaust opening. Someone looked at it the other day and mentioned that it could actually hurt the motor to be running the bike like that (something to do with too little back pressure). Does this sound right or was the guy just trying to get me to buy a new exhaust from him? Is there any way to repair it? Hopefully you can see what I'm talking about in the pictures.

Also, ever since I bought the bike I noticed where the pipe is a little bit crimped against the frame. Should I be concerned that that could cause a loss in performance, or is it not anything to worry about? Again, hopefully you can see what I mean in the pictures.

Pura Vida !
livetofly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:33 AM   #31713
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
Oh see you're good! The lack of packing will cause excessive exhaust flow, but the kink in the pipe will hamper it! All works out in the end!

The kink won't cause any noticeable problems (although I wouldn't think it should be there), just repack it and carry on.
http://www.fmfracing.com/RiderSuppor...ngInstructions
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:35 PM   #31714
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,851
You're missing the end cap and spark arrester, which is why you're losing packing material. When you repack, make sure you get a new end cap spark arrester both to keep the packing material in and to be legal when riding off road.

The kink is there to get around the mount for the passenger peg and probably doesn't affect flow enough to notice.
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:59 PM   #31715
duanew1
In my Pajama pants

Oddometer: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by skierd View Post
You're missing the end cap and spark arrester, which is why you're losing packing material. When you repack, make sure you get a new end cap spark arrester both to keep the packing material in and to be legal when riding off road.

The kink is there to get around the mount for the passenger peg and probably doesn't affect flow enough to notice.
This is 100% correct. No spark arrester cap and the indention is there from the factory.
2008 SYM HD200
duanew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 05:26 PM   #31716
leftystrat62
Adventurer

Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgormley View Post
Winter starting to set in here a bit in New England today...
Boy do I miss the fall already....

where's your ride-don't recognize it?
leftystrat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 05:33 PM   #31717
what broke now
Petroleum Brother

Oddometer: 1,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattias se View Post
my wr250r 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4P_fiq8dr0smTD4Ace

and my youtube canal 75mandel

What's that orange thing doing there?
what broke now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:46 PM   #31718
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,645
>"some of the packing or filler material is starting to come out a little bit right by the exhaust opening. Someone looked at it the other day and mentioned ..."

The exhaust packing should stay up in the front area of the pipe. I think it looks almost like somebody put some exhaust packing in the rear of the pipe. Maybe to compensate for removing the spark arrestor? If you run in Nat Forests (or wherever) you really need that spark arrestor. They are available... $34 dollars or so.

Typically you have to re-pack the FMF exhaust in XXX hours of operation. Online MX shops sell the exhaust packing, (you can get various mfgs and grades) and you can probably pick some up at your local dealer.

Remove the muffler from the bike, loosen the screws in the front, and remove the spark arrestor (if you have one). With a little persuasion, the muffler housing slips off the inlet side, There is a portion of the muffler where you re-load the fresh packing.

IMHO:
Two things from not having the packing.

1) Loud as hell.
2) Exhaust can vent into the packing area, which might cause muffler failure. (I think I saw this on ADV, where the muffler split open)

Others have mentioned, the angular part of the muffler is 'normal' for this bike.

How long have you had the bike?
Old 12-01-2012, 10:12 PM   #31719
livetofly
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Thanks for the information, I got what I was looking for. Thinking I'll call FMF next week to make sure I get the right part #'s and order the spark arrestor, end cap, and packing material.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightZone View Post
How long have you had the bike?
I've owned the bike since beginning of summer, but sadly have not gotten to put nearly as many miles as I would hope (probly <1,000). I did think I perceived a difference to the sound of the exhaust the last couple weeks, so that's probably as a result of losing a little bit of that packing in it.
Pura Vida !
livetofly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:17 PM   #31720
krussell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 413
Thumb +1 in the PNWet

Hi All,

Picked one up yesterday. Been thinking about it a while, something light and simple for rides that are mostly not pavement. I'm not worthy of the bike off road, but plan to acquire some skills.

Had a break in the rain here in Portland, managed to get out this AM and get 110 miles in, about 1/2 pavement, 1/2 gravel. I am pleased, lots of fun. This thread was a big factor in choosing this bike. There's so much good information, and the ride reports are great. I'm 280, 6'4", so I'm riding two up all the time. Did a lot of up and down today, the bike drags my bulk well. Best transmission I've ever had on any bike. 56mpg on the first tank, but I suspect the dealer didn't fill it quite as full as I did.

Thanks to all the inmates here for all the great info! Here's some new bike pics from the morning's ride.

Old 12-02-2012, 06:37 PM   #31721
oxygenrace
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 63
Shenandoah 500 2-Day Rally Video

I finally figured out how to edit video and pieced together this video and slideshow of the Shenandoah 500 held in October. It was a great event and well worth the trek from Ottawa, Ontario Canada to Virginia. Oh yeah and me and my buddy rode our wr250r's. Enjoy.

oxygenrace screwed with this post 12-03-2012 at 05:04 PM
oxygenrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:28 AM   #31722
rsteiger
Bob

Oddometer: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxygenrace View Post
I finally figured out how to edit video and pieced together this video and slideshow of the Shenandoah 500 held in October. It was a great event and well worth the trek from Ottawa, Ontario Canada to West Virginia. Oh yeah and me and my buddy rode our wr250r's. Enjoy.

Just plain AWESOME!
2001 GasGas XC250
rsteiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:37 AM   #31723
Crazy_Dave
Back'in it in

Oddometer: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by krussell View Post
Hi All,

Picked one up yesterday. Been thinking about it a while, something light and simple for rides that are mostly not pavement. I'm not worthy of the bike off road, but plan to acquire some skills.

Had a break in the rain here in Portland, managed to get out this AM and get 110 miles in, about 1/2 pavement, 1/2 gravel. I am pleased, lots of fun. This thread was a big factor in choosing this bike. There's so much good information, and the ride reports are great. I'm 280, 6'4", so I'm riding two up all the time. Did a lot of up and down today, the bike drags my bulk well. Best transmission I've ever had on any bike. 56mpg on the first tank, but I suspect the dealer didn't fill it quite as full as I did.

Thanks to all the inmates here for all the great info! Here's some new bike pics from the morning's ride.

Great looking bike you are going to love it. Now save your pennies and get skidplate if you plan on doing alot of offroad. Also I went with the 3gal IMS tank. It will take you from about 60-65 Miles to about 150Miles before the light comes on.

Crazy_Dave screwed with this post 12-03-2012 at 11:42 AM
Crazy_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:11 AM   #31724
wingam00
Formely AKA Wingam00

Oddometer: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxygenrace View Post
I finally figured out how to edit video and pieced together this video and slideshow of the Shenandoah 500 held in October. It was a great event and well worth the trek from Ottawa, Ontario Canada to West Virginia. Oh yeah and me and my buddy rode our wr250r's. Enjoy.

Good job on the VID, thanks for sharing.

“There is only one reason for pavement and that is to get to dirt.” - “King” Richard Burleson

-- If you argue with a Fool you are a FOOL! --
wingam00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:29 AM   #31725
byron555
Lame Duck Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,052
December in Wisconsin

Rode the WRr into work last night... crazy warm here for this time of year, a balmy 45f... Anyway it was really foggy and drizzling on my ride home, my only problem was the face shield on my helmet, it kept fogging up! Bike and other gear performed great as always.

Anyway, a co-worker who owns 3 bikes, assumed that the WRr maxed out at 65mph during a conversation this very morning... Well I corrected him there, and he was shocked that I put over 7000 miles on a measly 250 this season.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=997633
byron555 is offline   Reply With Quote