Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2012, 07:21 PM   #31786
leftystrat62
Adventurer

Oddometer: 999
I just found on Scott's web site that they sell a sub mount kit for $289-is that what you have? Although yours looks a little different than mine; I'm not sure if I pick up the sub mount kit it will actually work with mine.Your risers look like mine -from Scott but are they taller than mine to achieve that proper height I'm looking for?

leftystrat62 screwed with this post 12-08-2012 at 07:26 PM
leftystrat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:09 PM   #31787
TerraUnFirma
Fair/Not Balanced

Oddometer: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftystrat62 View Post
I just found on Scott's web site that they sell a sub mount kit for $289-is that what you have? Although yours looks a little different than mine; I'm not sure if I pick up the sub mount kit it will actually work with mine.Your risers look like mine -from Scott but are they taller than mine to achieve that proper height I'm looking for?
I've got the sub mount and it measures around 3.25" from the top surface of the top triple tree to the split of the bar clamps. From the photo you posted and the one 10Cup posted, the sub mount looks quite a bit taller.
'06 Suzuki DRz400s
'08 Yamaha WR250R
TerraUnFirma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:21 AM   #31788
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon12 View Post
I'm not sure I've ever heard why people feel the need for a damper on the WRR, given its mild power and steering geometry, but
Off road steering dampers don't have anything to do with the motor or steering geometry. They are about terrain and speed.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:46 AM   #31789
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon12 View Post
I'm not sure I've ever heard why people feel the need for a damper on the WRR, given its mild power and steering geometry, but the solution is to sell that version and get an under-bar damper. Search earlier in this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
Off road steering dampers don't have anything to do with the motor or steering geometry. They are about terrain and speed.
I have also wondered about them on the WRR too. My thought would be if you were doing desert racing type speeds, but not sure about other necessity situations. I can not comment on if they are needed for rocky terrain, as I have no experience there.

Around here, we hit long stretches of sand, not usually more than 40-50 MPH. In those cases, our typical method is lean back, hard on gas, steer with pegs/weighting, and light grip on bars, letting front end dance where it wants to. As a street rider for 20 years, being comfortable with that front end dancing thing took me a while to get used to.

I have used dampers on sport track bikes, but they are need( IMHO) there more for cases like coming out of a highspeed corner at 80 MPH plus, and front end getting light while trying to get on the gas.....perfect recipe for a tank slapper.
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:59 AM   #31790
pfy50
Professional nOOb

Oddometer: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
Correct Pantah, The purpose of the steering dampener is to slow down the speed at which your handlebars are jerked to the side when you hit an unanticipated rut,rock, or uneven surface so that you can more easily get your steering under control. It works at all speeds independent of power.
pfy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:57 AM   #31791
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,364
I tried searching this vast thread for the following info but came up with nothing.

Wolfman seems to be what the majority of wr250r owners have for tank bags but I was just wondering if anyone is using another brand that works well. I am trying to pick up a few things for my new to me 09.
Thanks
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:49 AM   #31792
Nice_Rumble
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
Wolfman seems to be what the majority of wr250r owners have for tank bags but I was just wondering if anyone is using another brand that works well.
I used Dirt Bagz before I switched to Wolfman.

http://www.dbzproducts.com/

http://www.dbzproducts.com/models.htm
Nice_Rumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:08 AM   #31793
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 3,036
Check out the Giant Loop Fandango tank bag. I've tried a couple different tank bags and I like that one the best so far for that bike.

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:45 AM   #31794
jkstehn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_PDX View Post
Check out the Giant Loop Fandango tank bag. I've tried a couple different tank bags and I like that one the best so far for that bike.
Have the same. Works really well for me.

jkstehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:16 AM   #31795
leftystrat62
Adventurer

Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
I tried searching this vast thread for the following info but came up with nothing.

Wolfman seems to be what the majority of wr250r owners have for tank bags but I was just wondering if anyone is using another brand that works well. I am trying to pick up a few things for my new to me 09.
Thanks
I've got Wolfman's stuff-very nice,but be sure to check out the new Kriega Overlander 30 -stuff looks real nice.
leftystrat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:53 AM   #31796
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,996
What is your WR250 getting for Christmas?

Sitting at Grandmother's house for pick-up at Christmas are:

Michelin T-63 rear tire
Bridgestone HD 18" tube
WPS Rim Strip 18" x 7/8"
Tusk 30mm Handlebar Riser Kit
Yamaha OEM Oil Filter
Yamaha AKA "Seal guard"
Seat Concepts kit
Sprocket 47 T
oil drain bolt, drain bolt washer, O rings
Twin Air air filter
Old 12-10-2012, 04:03 AM   #31797
KaanDuro
n00b

Oddometer: 7
New Tires

I got a Metzeller six days extreme front and Mitas extreme rear.
Rode in the woods both saturday and sunday. Boy i cant remember having this much fun lately

This engine is definately built for riding high RPMs which adds to the fun factor.

But the bad news is I broke clutch lever and one of fork seals is leaking oil right now. I have to change the levers without breaking the bank. Any suggestions?
KaanDuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:01 AM   #31798
freetors
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaanDuro View Post
I got a Metzeller six days extreme front and Mitas extreme rear.
Rode in the woods both saturday and sunday. Boy i cant remember having this much fun lately

This engine is definately built for riding high RPMs which adds to the fun factor.

But the bad news is I broke clutch lever and one of fork seals is leaking oil right now. I have to change the levers without breaking the bank. Any suggestions?
Stock? The levers are like $10 each IIRC.
freetors is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:08 AM   #31799
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
I went with drc shorty levers. They're only about half an inch shorter than stock, but it should be enough to keep them from bending or breaking in drops. Plus they're $7 each or something.
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:20 AM   #31800
einnar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Tore down the engine yesterday on my R after it failed a compression test. Showed about 30psi on the guage.
This last summer my bike died on the highway suddenly. No power, and a puff of smoke suddenly came out the back end. Come to find out, the oil had suddenly disappeared. (I checked it less than 10 miles before it died.) I bought the bike used, and managed to put only 2 tanks of gas in it before this happened.

Months later, I finally have time, and a buddy available to help who has all the tools.. (Amazing how hard it is to get together when he travels for work, and I have a newborn in the house. )We tore it down, and found out the compression ring is broken. Fortunately, all the parts stayed in the groove until we coaxed the piston out of the cylinder (packing the bottom end before we did this.) All bits recovered!

While I had it apart, I tested the valves, and found that 3 of the 4 are definitely leaking... the 4th looked moist, so it probably is too.
Now to find a machine shop.. Kinda sad for a bike with about 8k on it.