Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2012, 12:33 PM   #31846
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonrider3889 View Post
Ok, I'm trying to pick up a WR250R. I've been having a super hard time finding one close by. I found one that is a 6 hour drive away that I think is a good deal. What do you guys think of a 2012 WR250R with 8000 miles for $3500? No mods, bone stock, immaculate condition supposedly.
Sounds like a helluva deal, if everything is as advertised...

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:35 PM   #31847
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,579
Quote:
Ok, I'm trying to pick up a WR250R. I've been having a super hard time finding one close by. I found one that is a 6 hour drive away that I think is a good deal. What do you guys think of a 2012 WR250R with 8000 miles for $3500? No mods, bone stock, immaculate condition supposedly.
I think you need to get in your car & get over there
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:53 PM   #31848
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 793
Sounds like a great deal. I just worry about how many miles he's dumped on within less than a year. He's supposed to be sending better pictures over to me. He says he lost his job and needs the money though.
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:44 PM   #31849
Longboardr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by brians View Post
Sorry for the newbie question but my searches produce soooo many results and it is difficult to find a definitive answer.

The standard steel bars are bent on my newly acquired WRR and it is an opportunity to fit some Renthals.

I like the 613s (previously known as Dakar Highs) as they encourage me to stand up on the pegs in the rough stuff and are generally much more comfortable.

Are the standard cables long enough or do I need longer ones?

Many thanks

Brian
Fwiw I have a pretty tall setup and don't have any cable issues. I'm running 1 1/8" Pro Taper Pastrana FMX bend bars and HDB high risers so I could put a low mount stabilizer on if I wanted to.
Longboardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:01 PM   #31850
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamaha View Post
Hey guys,
I picked up a new WR250X the other day and I'm currently deciding between the Wolfman expedition panniers and the Wolfman E12 bags. I am very concerned that the E12's won't fit properly because there is no plastic panel covering the exhaust. Has anyone successfully used this for extended periods of time? Do they sit properly and function properly? Would it be possible for someone to post pictures of the bags from both sides of the bike, and perhaps the rear?

It would be very much appreciated if you could, thank you.
Here's what I did (cost about $10 for two hose clamps and 1/8th x 1" piece of aluminum from the local Ace Hardware):

From the rear (I bent the aluminum to give about 1.5" of standoff, maybe a little more than needed, but I feel better about it):

On the bike:

They aren't perfectly symmetrical - the left bag hangs a bit lower than the right due to the standoff - but I'm not concerned about it.

BTW, since these photos were made I've remounted the straps under the saddle to put them a little lower. I had to trim the plastic side panels a little where the straps go through, but it was easy with a hack saw and roofing knife. (I guess you can tell I'm more about function than stylin' )
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:03 PM   #31851
brians
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboardr View Post
Fwiw I have a pretty tall setup and don't have any cable issues. I'm running 1 1/8" Pro Taper Pastrana FMX bend bars and HDB high risers so I could put a low mount stabilizer on if I wanted to.
Thanks for the replies guys - most appreciated!

I have since heard from an owner who has actually fitted the 613s who says:

"Funny you should ask that. Yes, they do (ish).
I needed to reroute the electric cables to pass behind the fork stanchions(clutch and throttle sides), and a bit of very careful routing of the throttle cable to pass to the right of the fork stanchion instead of to the left (between the fork and the headlight). Fiddly but doable. I think that's it though, there's no chance of also adding bar risers. Clutch cable was ok (if I remember right).
Also, note that the throttle clamp and stop/start assembly have lugs that locate into drilled locator holes in the standard steel bars. I filed the lugs off, easy enough. Another option could be to drill the new bars, but I wouldn't advise it, as you need to twist theses 2 items to get the best possible position for them."

I have a pair of 613s here so will give them a go myself and keep my fingers crossed.

Out of interest, does anyone in the UK sell off-the-shelf longer-than-standard clutch and throttle cables?

Brian
brians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:05 PM   #31852
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by brians View Post
Sorry for the newbie question but my searches produce soooo many results and it is difficult to find a definitive answer.

The standard steel bars are bent on my newly acquired WRR and it is an opportunity to fit some Renthals.

I like the 613s (previously known as Dakar Highs) as they encourage me to stand up on the pegs in the rough stuff and are generally much more comfortable.

Are the standard cables long enough or do I need longer ones?

Many thanks

Brian
The only cable length issue I had with 2" risers and ProTaper bars with an inch higher bend (don't remember the bend name off hand), was I had to flip over the throttle twist grip so the cables come out the bottom rather than over the top as stock. There's a hole in the bottom of the throttle grip assembly - to allow water to drain I assume - that's now at the top on mine. I just put some window glazing in it and it's been fine for about 4K miles now. Oh, and I too had to file the nubs off the throttle and other right-hand handlebar assembly. Took all of five minutes.
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:15 PM   #31853
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,504
Quote:
Sounds like a great deal. I just worry about how many miles he's dumped on within less than a year. He's supposed to be sending better pictures over to me. He says he lost his job and needs the money though.
"High" mileage is no concern. 8000 mi in a year means he probably is a riding enthusiast who I should think would be more inclined to care for his shit.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:58 PM   #31854
KansasBob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 515
Quote:
That's $600 under NADA "LOW" retail and almost $2K under average retail. Ask lots of questions....... especially about proof of ownership...... before you drive all that way.
KansasBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:12 PM   #31855
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Flea Market plug

Have a new unopened Flatland Racing radiator guard for sale over in the flea market...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=848454

Old 12-13-2012, 05:49 PM   #31856
leftystrat62
Adventurer

Oddometer: 999
Found a cool fix for the wolfman bag over on BigDog's web site. Here's my coverage of fixing my bags. Found these garbage pails at WalMart for $10 each.Photobucket

Masrure up from bottom 11 1/2" then remove the excess material
Photobucket

Here are some helpful tools
Photobucket The pail is just a bit wider at the top so you need to make a cut down the side to allow the top part to "shrink down a bit to fit properly in the bag. Be sure to drill a hole near the bottom before you make your side cut so the cut doesn't "run".
Photobucket

Be sure to drill a hole in the bottom in order to let the air burp out from the bag -otherwise you'll never get it in or out.
Photobucket

I also chose to clean up the bottom inside the pail so as not to snag my things. You may want to do this first before you cut the side slot-less stress on that cut.

Photobucket

There she is in all her glory

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Haven't tried it on the trails,but getting stuff to fit in these bags has been a PITA-hopefully no more
leftystrat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:56 PM   #31857
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

You either make a living with your tools, or just know good quality

Old 12-13-2012, 07:11 PM   #31858
leftystrat62
Adventurer

Oddometer: 999
little of both
leftystrat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:32 PM   #31859
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I need to go out and double check against GPS the actual odometer versus just a trip odometer before I consider it a true fix but I don't expect it to be off.

On the SpeedoDRD I'd say it is a great product. It is plug-n-play with the WRR/X and some other bikes but is a pretty versatile system that can be wired into plenty of other bikes and used in plenty of custom applications. It is those extra features that are helping us in this situation. With one button I won't say programming it is intuitive, but it isn't that hard if you read the directions and watch the video.
Calling this a fix. Went for a 17 mile ride this evening. Odometer and trip odometer and speedo all matched up with GPS.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:47 PM   #31860
Llamaha
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 757
Guys thanks for your advice, may I ask if you can still have a pillion when using the Wolfman E12 bags as well?
Llamaha is offline   Reply With Quote